Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just had a great thought--I still have Chico's cage from when we first got him--it would probably be a good thing to get that out for our kitty for when we need to leave it alone. While DS did a good job kitty proofing his room yesterday, I'm still afraid it'll find all his computer cords and chew on them. Since Chico is a big dog, we got the kennel for a 100 pound dog so it'll be plenty roomy for the kitten. That solves the problem for when school starts in a few weeks! Glad you mentioned it, Sheila.

My weight is still down! Now to keep it there while working on the next pound. In my mind, if I can get 5 off, it's more incentive to go the rest of the way.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #32  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Sheila, I hope the kitty perks up and gets better.

Allison, great job on the weight. You're doing great.

Jay, what an understatement on using food as a "training" reward. I so need to unlearn that habit.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #33  

Oh my goodness! I just found a really funny blog that I thought I'd share. Google it if you're interested--Titli's Busy Kitchen. It's hilarious!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #34  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey that was great! What a funny lady!

But now, where's my moooooooouusse?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #35  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, Michele, I was only teasing you! No reason a girl from Houston/CA should know Maine geography!

Alaska has neither Trader Joe's or WHole Foods. Sigh. They were one of the highlights the year I lived in Seattle.

I'm finally feeling better. I'll even make it to the gym today. It's still raining of course but the forecast is for dryer this afternoon, er, that is, the rain will stop. It'll take several days of not raining for the ground to dry. My poor flowers are looking quite waterlogged, esp the delphiniums. Sigh.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #36  
Workin' It

I just got back from Whole Foods. Wowza - I need an entire line item on my budget for that place! Trader Joe's is great too, hitting there on Monday. I got some of the Arctic Zero, and a new frozen Almond Breeze brand dessert. I'll let you guys know how they are!

Gotta fly - trying to get a run in before the nightly thundershower rolls in!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #37  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

OK, I made a special trip to Whole Foods (with a sleepy toddler who turned out to have a dirty diaper, no less) to get some Arctic Zero and... I struck out! They're supposed to have it, according to the Arctic Zero website. Now, the freezer case was about 1/2 empty due to the storm and subsequent power outage, but I looked at all the shelf tabs and none of them listed Artic Zero. Amazingly, I made it out of there without any Ben & Jerry's or gelato as a consolation prize.

Something like 100,000 people in the area are still without power (48 hours now) and lots of traffic lights are still out. I'm so grateful we have power! We lost it for 17 hours during our epic snowstorm last winter -- at least then we could bury all our refrigerator/freezer food in the snow!

Sheila, wow, $10 for kittens! What a bargain (until you figure in the shredded sofa, I guess). I may have once, in a moment of weakness, told my DD's that we could get a cat after our dog died. Well, they've brought that up several times in the last month. ~sigh~ Did I mention I'm technically afraid of cats? I'm not afraid to pet them (if they're nice) or have them sit on my lap, but I'm afraid to pick them up. Might make owning one difficult!

Hope everyone's having a great day!

Amy
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Amy,
Sorry you made a special trip for Arctic Zero and came away empty handed. If you try again, ask the manager and they should give you better information. The Whole Foods by me doesn't carry it but we have a high end grocery store that does.

You should totally get a kitten! They aren't scary at all! I'm sure a kitten would cure you of any fear of kitties. Maybe go and visit a shelter and see how you feel around the little ones?

I would love a new kitty but alas we are at our pet quota-- 2 dogs and 2 cats!

I am truly baffled and frustrated about my weight. It seems to be going up AGAIN. I am tracking and exercising and can't see what is going on. I'm going to try not to panic (difficult for me!) and keep plugging away. I am still quite sore from Saturday so I'm PRAYING my body is retaining some water due to sore muscles??? I want my weight to be back down before we go to Maine.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #39  
Workin' It

Amy - sorry about the wasted trip! Mine only had three flavors, and were low on those. They did have a few other lower cal options. I second talking to the manager about stocking it.

Michele - I always retain water when I'm sore, how far has it swung? Seem like a reasonable amount for water gain?

Pat - glad you are feeling better!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Michele - I always retain water when I'm sore, how far has it swung? Seem like a reasonable amount for water gain?
3-4 pounds so not a ton. Hopefully it is just water. I get all mental and start imagining I look huge. My tummy looks bigger to me but I guess that could be water as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #41  

S/C/G: GW: 125

The trip was not totally in vain -- I got arugula, chicken, goat cheese and strawberries and made a delicious salad for lunch! Also some gorgeous salmon for dinner tonight. But I will call ahead before I try again.

All of 3 weeks into maintenance and I'm feeling a little smug. I'm exactly at goal weight, not a tenth over, not a tenth under. Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

(remind self to come back to this post in December and smack self on the back of the head -- December is tough for me)

Michele, I have mentioned the kitten thing to my husband. He is definitely a dog person and is not at all inclined to get a feline. I grew up in a house with all kinds of pets -- gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbit, cat, dog -- so I feel like one species is just not enough. Either way, I doubt we'll add any animals before our (planned, hoped-for) move back to CA next summer. Just easier to sell house & move without fur, smells, etc. But it's killing me to be petless!

Sheila, I can't believe Boise has neither WF nor TJs! Honestly, I don't get to either very often, but when I do it's such a treat. They're building a HUGE new WF here -- I think it's 3 times the size of the current one. I've met the woman who is the interior designer for all the WF in the mid-atlantic -- what a cool job! Learned all about the reclaimed-barnwood tables they'll be putting in the eating section.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday. Over the hump we go!

Amy
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #42  

I'm actually glad we don't have a Whole Foods here. Am I weird?

It's going to be a busy day at work today. End of month, so bills need to be paid. I'm glad--keeping busy makes the day go faster!

Everyone have a great day!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #43  
Workin' It

So I am totally a tension eater. When something is aggravating me I eat. and, I like to try new products I buy. Combine those two together and bad things happen. I'm a litle edgy today, didn't sleep well, noodling something in my head. Have a couple of boxes of new protein bars I got in from Amazon yesterday. Earlier I ate a Think Thin Crunchy bar - 180 cals, 10 g protein, 4 g fiber. Not terrible as a morning snack. I had it much earlier than my normal morning snack time. So, here it is 11:45 and I am reaching for a snack, not so much hungry as habit. Have to keep reminding myself I already had snack time this morning...

Allison - I do have a philosophical problem with the president of WF, so I do struggle shopping there a little bit...

Amy - great first few weeks of maintenance! Woo hoo!

Michele - that isn't too much of a jump, but I know how you feel. When you mentioned your tummy looking bigger I immediately thought water again... Hope it settles down for you soon.

Sheila - no TJ or WF in Boise? I find that surprising, too.

Good day everyone!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I always wanted a whole foods closer to where I lived - now in AZ there's one a couple miles away but I hardly ever shop there. They have too many super tasty looking things that are also expensive - I try going in just for the bulk stuff and a few items but it's so hard!

Amy, so true on it being easier to move w/out pets... I really want to get a dog but I'm hoping/planning a cross country move in 6 months to a year so I'm holding off. I always had one growing up, and these past few years have been so strange for me without one!

Michele, sounds like those pounds could just be water - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Allison, I definitely prefer busy work days. They just fly by!

I think I need to stop drinking so much water in the evenings - I'm consistently waking up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break these days and I am NOT old enough for that yet!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #45  

Amy,
Where is CA would you be moving? We are in N. Cali.

I'm praying the pounds are water weight but they're still hanging on! So frustrating.

Iris-- I often get up multiple times per night. I try to look at it as a good thing-- I'm getting rid of my water weight!!

We have Whole Foods very close and rarely go either. Sometimes we go and make a delicious salad for dinner. Their salad bar is amazing!