Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #46  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, Allison, it's that while we do have miles and miles of coast, we also have acres and acres of land - and more people live there!

Rained overnight and was very cloudy this morning, so no painters. But about noon or 1pm it started clearing and now is partly sunny. I've got clothes on the line, and DH and picked another 2+ quarts of strawberries (there are more to pick, but no room in the freezer for more cookie sheets - I'll do it again tomorrow) The grass is still damp, but I think I'll see how much it clumps with the mower - it's very long!

Did a zumba class this morning, and man it was hot and muggy in that room! Only part of our gym has AC, a new addition they put on a couple years ago and it's all weight lifting stuff (very nice, and I use it). The aerobics room has opening windows and an outside door, plus fans, which helps.

Congrats on the lower numbers Dagmar and Jessica! Love the carrot chorus line.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #47  
Chuggin' along...

After 6 years I feel like I've finally rejoined the modern world. I've broken down and got internet at home! Woohoo! And the nice thing is that the router the phone company sent is wireless, at no extra charge. Now if I can only figure out how to manually install the driver on my 64-bit system (their directions don't work). But, for now it still works great wired.

I just can't stop talking about ****. Last year I got on a bent about bat houses - I just decided they were the best thing and we should have some at work, got the shop guy excited about it and had him build me some. Well, today I found what appears to be bat **** underneath one that I installed on one of our properties. Awesome! Bats are the best natural mosquito control. Yes, fully admitting the biology geek in me is who's so excited here.

Dagmar & Jessica, awesome scale victories!

Michele, I get those biopsies just about every year. It's really not something to be too nervous about. Dr's are just overly cautious about those things.

Have a great night all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Megan~I've always wanted a bat house, but I don't think I want to think about bat **** (guano). We used to go up on the roof to watch the 4th of July fireworks and often got buzzed by the bats. I loved going to Friday night football games and watching the bats. They really keep the insect population down.

And Michele~I've had two different pap scares. Both turned out to be nothing. But it sure scared the heck out of me in the mean time. Good luck.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #49  

WHooHoo! Holiday time for me! I'm done working before I leave on saturday. Now all I have left to do is run housechores & packbefore we leave on saturday.

Jessica & Dagmar, on the weightloss

Heatwave broke here yesterday so we are in for cooler weather at last.

Marie: I was thinking on getting a pool robot. Do you like the aquabot ?

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #50  
Working My Way Back Down

Hey Rabbit, where are you off to? Have fun!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #51  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Have a wonderful birthday, Megan!!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Birthday Megan!!!!

Thanks for your kind words Megan and Allison regarding my biopsy. I feel okay about it. I'm just frustrated that in the past couple of years I feel like everything has been biopsied on me! I've had two breast biopsies (both fine), a skin biopsy (skin cancer) and now this biopsy. I am trying to feel fortunate that I live in a time and place where medical care is so advanced to make early diagnosis possible. I know that when we lived in Africa most people would have been diagnosed too late for treatment of any kind.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #54  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Pat, I’m so jealous of your 2+ quarts of strawberries. You’ll have smoothies all winter long. The birds ate most of ours. We bought garden netting and put it up last weekend. Hopefully I’ll get a second or third crop.

Megan, I know bats eat the mosquitoes but they’re so creepy. I don’t know about inviting more of them around my house. Now, if they ate the #$%#$% yellowjackets, I’d build them a housing development.

Allsion, we went to July 4th fireworks one year and the bats freaked me out. Haven’t gone to fireworks since.

Rabbit, I love my aquabot. I worship my aquabot. My pool sparkles because of aquabot. I chose aquabot because they’ve been around forever. A part breaks, you order a new one. We’ve had ours about 8 years. We’ve had to replace the tracks, the floats, the handle, etc. Usually one part a year at about a cost of $100 per part. I figure $100 a year for a clean, effort-free pool is worth it. Not to mention its filtration system is awesome so it reduces the need for chemicals.

Another hot day here. I am so loving it!!!! Here’s an interesting weight loss article from a writer I’ve liked for years.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #55  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Happy birthday Megan!!!!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Happy
Birthday
Megan
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #57  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Happy Birthday, Megan!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #58  
Workin' It

Megan

Great day yesterday - exercised, kept my food in line, woke up a little hungry instead of still feeling bloated and icky from the day before. And, 129.3 on the scale, down from my high of 133.2 a few weeks ago. Now if I can just keep on track for a few weeks.

Megan - I love the idea of a bat house, but don't have anywhere to put one where I live now. Sadness.

Marie - sorry the shoulder is interfering with the swimming. My parents and my brother both have those pool 'bots and love them.

Michele - I've had to have a biopsy after an annual exam twice in the last few years. You make a good point on the checks, though. At least we know that we will catch things early enough to treat them. Hope it comes back clear.

Rabbit - enjoy your holiday!

Pat - painters today?

Sheila - how is the back today? Better I hope. Be careful with the rocks in the yard! And I can't even think about Christmas yet, much less work on gifts. Wowza.

Allison - hot day for you today!

Gary - I sent you a FB friend request to see those puppies!

Good day all! to anyone I missed!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 07-15-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #59  
Chuggin' along...

Thanks ya'll. My co-workers grilled chicken kebabs for me, and made an angel food cake with berries. Yum. We're probably going to the beach after work for a cocktail. And BF is going to take me out to the "big" city this weekend. And (how exciting and rare) I got a day off from field work. Really it just happened that way, but I'm not sweating my keester off in the sun all day. What a nice birthday.

Shannon, way to stay on track! Yeah, I've got a bathouse to put up in my backyard, but I also convinced my boss we needed several. I'm totally the type of person who would run around town installing them under the cover of night. Mwahaha. My town has a truck that drives around spraying poison to keep the mosquitos & flies under control... while bugs are really horrendous in FL and I'd hate to see what it was like w/o the spray, I hate the poison too.

Marie, good article! I totally agree! The scale can be a good tool, but it's not the end all be all by any means. I have to remind myself of that occasionally.

Pat, mmm, I'm jealous of your berries too. Enjoy them this winter!

Have a good day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #60  
Working My Way Back Down

Megan!! Hope it's a great one.

No painters today, though it's just cool and cloudy, no rain (so far). I came home from an evening with my quilting friends - including one who was back visiting from WA - and mowed my grass at 10 pm! We live on a corner and the house across the street is empty and my next door neighbors are away, so I didn't bother anyone. I have about 1/4 left to do, mostly around the garden, and that's really just keeping down the weeds. I'll do it later today.

I was supposed to help out at Vacation Bible School at my church today, but when I called to confirm, they said they really didn't need me, so I have some free time. I'm working on finishing a quilt top for my friend's son's wedding on Aug 7. Once I have the top done, I have a quilter lined up to quilt it, then I'll just have to bind it. If I finish the top this week, the schedule will work. Plus I have a couple other projects that just need a little bit to be done and out the door.... ANd once DH gets home on Fri/Sat, we'll be processing fish (assuming he's successful).