3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers weekly chat - July 5 - July 11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/206333-maintainers-weekly-chat-july-5-july-11-a.html)

EZMONEY 07-07-2010 08:01 PM

Did you feel that one...5.7 in Borrego...ALLISON?....felt it here in Oceanside....

Marie 07-07-2010 08:13 PM

Sznn, yes, summer is here!!! 87 degrees. I had the best drive home in my topless Jeep. Can you run in the morning when it’s cooler?

Pat, I hope your shoulder blade is feeling better. What a great idea using the tennis ball to loosen it. I’m going to remember that one.

Dagmar, 19 sticks for blood??? I think she should have past the syringe to someone else. Why do morning draws work better?

I’m so happy all my beloved company is gone. I know that sounds wrong but I have eaten clean and feel much better about my choices. Instead of junk food junkies dictating many of the meals, my brain did. So as much as I love my family, I’m glad I have control over the choices.
Marie

sznn 07-07-2010 10:10 PM

Marie - i get up at 5 for work - don't think i can get up any earlier for a run.
I will just do lame runs when it is hot - and longer ones on the w/e.
It is nice and warm here today - up to 90F now on the deck - but there is a breeze.

All that talk of beer - i had to have one ;)

WaterRat 07-08-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 3375771)
Did you feel that one...5.7 in Borrego...ALLISON?....felt it here in Oceanside....

Hmmm, we had a 5.4 tonight about 8:30 - think it was yours traveling up this way??? :lol: Long one too with waves.... scary as I was at someone else's house, didn't know where to stand.

Mudpie 07-08-2010 05:56 AM

wandering off topic somewhat

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterRat (Post 3376204)
Hmmm, we had a 5.4 tonight about 8:30 - think it was yours traveling up this way??? :lol: Long one too with waves.... scary as I was at someone else's house, didn't know where to stand.

Wowee! Ontario is not known to have earth quakes but apparently there was one several weeks ago. I was standing on the beach by Lake Ontario when one of the other dog walkers approached rapidly, yelling "did you feel that?" Nope :shrug:. None of the dogs seemed in any way concerned either.

She had been 3 blocks north in a client's house and they felt a shaking and the CD tower shelf swayed enough that it fell over. The dog there had pushed her way underneath the bed upstairs :eek: and her eyes were wide as saucers.

People in tall buildings downtown had felt the buildings swaying :eek:.

So down by the lake we're protected from quakes but much more worried about lightning strikes. We've got thunderstorms predicted for the next few days so I'll have to be careful to take the dogs under the cover of trees in the park if the lightning starts.

It's quite spectacular to watch it fork into the lake. Until you realize that you are the tallest thing down by the water's edge. The dogs (usually my noon group) are totally relaxed about it. I think part of that is my attitude. I'm more fascinated than nervous so they pick up on that. We will watch from the trees though. No point in inviting disaster.

Particularly since I'm only 4 lbs. away from goal! :p

We're going to see "The Flaming Lips" tonite but will have a quick and healthy dinner here first, rather than snacking on junk food at the venue. I bought the food yesterday so I'm all set for a stress free evening! :yay:

Have a great day all (it's almost Friday :dance:)

Dagmar :sunny: but still :flame:

JayEll 07-08-2010 06:41 AM

Dagmar, don't go under the trees. People get killed by lightning that way. The safest thing to do is to get back in your car.

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/gr...ingsafety.html

Jay

Tuca125 07-08-2010 11:01 AM

Good morning everyone.

Mary : My name is Jessica Wendy so we have a Jessica already so Wendy will work.

Mudpie: I live in Toronto but I am from Costa Rica we have a lot of movement down there. The day of the earth quakes here in Toronto I was at Boston pizza and i feel it, but i thought it was the subway under the restaurant .... them my husband told me.

AS for me yesterday everything went OK whit my DD test .... we have to keep doing it each 4 months.( I will take the time in the afternoon to write what is her problem)

I do dayli WI but since Monday ,I decide to WI once a week, so I am dying to weight my self .... I hope i have been maintaining so no gain.

alinnell 07-08-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 3375771)

Wow. Yes. It was centered only 20 miles from where we live, and it was relatively shallow (7 miles deep) so it was quite the jolt. I had just gotten home and was asking my son a question, to which he didn't reply, so I was headed down the hallway to his room when it hit. I had to hold onto the hall walls. I kept repeating "Oh, my God" and on my second refrain he bolted from his room with panic on his face. Apparently he'd been taking a nap and either the quake or my comments woke him up. The dogs didn't seem to notice anything amiss. And apparently the kittens didn't react either (I got Facebook updates from several friends). Nothing broke and the crack in the ceiling from the Easter quake doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. The only thing that happened was my golf clubs fell over in the garage, the magnetized glass door to my china hutch swung open, and several small photo frames toppled. It sure took over the local news, though. I don't think they reported on anything BUT the earthquake.

Funny how, even though they interrupted the taped evening national news with the update, no one in my family called to ask how we were. Ok, I'm done feeling sorry for myself!!

So today I'm cutting my hair. I took a couple "before" shots with my MacBook and I'll take some after shots when I get home tonight and post them.

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Marie 07-08-2010 11:31 AM

Sznn, I can see 5 being a cutoff for early rising. DH and I get up at 4:40 so we can walk the dogs before he leaves for work. I swear that extra 20 minutes earlier is a killer. 5:00 is fine, even on weekends for me but I hate seeing the 4 on the clock.

Dagmar, that would be so cool to see the water more in an earthquake.

Wendy, thanks for the name. That was so much easier to type. My first earthquake confused me too. I thought the UPS dropped the big TV he was unloading. Then I looked at my co-worker (since the tV didn’t fall) and I said, “Was that an earthquake?” I was so excited, I had to call my family back in Minnesota. BTW, they weren’t as thrilled.

Allison, enjoy the hair cut. I love having my hair washed and combed by a professional.

So today is the happy dance – there was no blood or white stuff in the back of my throat this morning. YEAH!!! The blood had freaked me out and I think I’m officially better. Two more days of antibiotics but I think I can do my HIIT workout after work today. And yesterday was a clean day of eating. Life feels so much better.
Marie

traveling michele 07-08-2010 11:34 AM

Allison-- can't wait to see your new do!

Wendy-- glad the tests went okay with your daughter. My daughter went to Costa Rica a few years ago for a month on a Spanish program through her school. She stayed with host families and LOVED it. I've been wanting to visit Costa Rica since!

Dagmar-- you are so close to your goal! You can do it! Stay focused!!

paperclippy 07-08-2010 12:12 PM

Welcome Wendy!

Moving away from CA was funny because I kept looking at all the house construction and the way people decorated and thinking how everything would be a massive disaster if there was ever an earthquake! :lol: Back home in LA you don't see brick houses, and you never see someone put a shelf right above their bed. Anything made of cinderblock is also a no-no (as my family learned after the 1994 Northridge quake which demolished our cinderblock fence and patio). Whenever I think of earthquakes though that is the one I think of. It was pretty traumatic (I was 11 at the time). I will never forget the mad dash out of the house once the shaking stopped where we ran into the front patio, realized we didn't have the keys to the gate, and then realized it didn't matter since the patio walls had tilted so much that the gate was hanging open with the deadbolt still sticking out. That and the moment once we were outside when we realized we didn't have the dog with us (luckily he had run out of the house through his dog door before the shaking really started and was safe and sound in the backyard).

Dagmar, I'm told people here in Indy could feel the Toronto quake a few weeks ago, but I sure didn't feel it!

I got my new sports watch/HRM last night! Woohoo! Wore it on my bike ride this morning. I still need to determine my maximum HR and enter it in so it can tell me what zone I'm in. According to my training schedule the ride this morning was supposed to be zones 1-2, which I have been judging based on perceived effort. My HR was between 130-140 for most of it. Based on the chart included with my watch that means my max HR should be about 220. They have a test you can do to try to determine your max also (you do a sub-max exercise and then add on some fixed number) which I might try tonight. My heart rate is pretty fast in general, even when I'm not doing anything, so I wouldn't be surprised for the max to be 220.

Shannon in ATL 07-08-2010 12:53 PM

Good morning all -
I'm feeling somewhat better, am back at work at least. We'll see how long that lasts - supposed to go to a seminar in a few minutes, but am thinking I might not last through it.

Living in GA I've never felt an earthquake at all, and I'm okay with that.

Jessica - my heart rate is always higher than what the target zones say it should be, as a result I think the calories burned report is a little inflated...

Wendy - also glad that the tests went well!

Marie - glad you are on the mend!

Pat - my blood draws are like that too. It has gotten somewhat better recently, but I still have to drink about 100 ounces of water before the draw or they end up having to get it out of my hand.

Allison - glad you are okay! And looking forward to the haircut pics.

Susan - my runs in the hot are pretty lame, too. Going to skip tonight, as there is a severe air advisory.

Good day everyone!

WaterRat 07-08-2010 01:45 PM

Morning. It apparently rained overnight - based on my wet deck :) That's what I like, nice days, rain overnight. DH left yesterday noon time for a 3-4 road trip north to Fairbanks and surrounding area. No fixed itinerary. This is when I wish he had a cell phone, though granted, many of the places he goes have no service. Sigh.

Today I'm going to lunch with my Wed night quilting friends - to an Italian restaurant. :eek: They don't have a menu online, so I'm hoping for some sort of grilled seafood, or a nice salad. This this afternoon I need to pick more strawberries, and tonight I'm going to Anchorage with a GF to the first night of the State Square Dance Festival. I'll be there Fri night, Sat afternoon and evening, and maybe Sun afternoon (and DH should be home for that). Meanwhile, I have the garden, greenhouse and cats to care for.

No damage from our earthquke which was about 25 miles west of us. It was fairly long and kind of rolling though, as opposed to the sharp jolts some have.

Dagmar - listen to Jay. In the open, or in the trees, is not a good place to be in a thunderstorm!!

My shoulder blade issue is much better today, though my knee still has twinges. THink I'll hold off workouts til tomorrow.

Marie 07-08-2010 02:09 PM

Shannon, I'd float away if I drank 100 oz of water at one time. 48 is my max and that's when I'm on the elliptical. Now, 100 oz of iced mocha, count me in. :rofl:

Pat, meatless pasta with marinara is not a bad choice at an Italian restaurant. I know at Olive Garden, it's one of their cheapest items calorie wise. As I don't like meat much, it's an easy choice for me.

Jessica, is your new HRM watch only connect to you on your wrist? We have a chest strap on that tells me I'm dead. No heartrate at all. DH is alive and kicking with it but I'm a dead duck.
Marie

Shannon in ATL 07-08-2010 02:31 PM

Okay, everything I've eaten today has made me nauseated again. I'm really tired of this whole thing....