Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Maintainers who continued to lose after increasing cals

So I've decided to make some changes in my lifestlye. I'm really working on my foods and getting much more wholesome, whole, clean and super foods into my diet. I'm also working on my strength training a little bit. But I've also started to SLOWLY transition into maintenance. While I still intend on losing 10 more lbs I'm trying not to focus on that too much right now and really just working on my lifestyle to get my brain to really realize that this is not a "diet" anymore. As some of you are aware I was at a bit of a stall floating between 155-156 for a while and complaining about it Well I started this transition on Thursday and have whooshed down to 152. So I'm wondering how many of you continued to lose after raising your cals and how much you lost. We'll see how this goes, and I may have to drop my cals back down again to get those last few off, but I'm feeling A LOT better with the new foods and the extra bit of cals. I only added about 100-150/per day and it's been mostly because I switch my snacks out to nuts, but if I don't need the extra then I don't use it. My energy has been better and I'm a lot less tired and TOM is this week! So anyway...I guess I'm a maintainer now...sort of...
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

I actually started maintenance on May 30th and I am eating more now but still lose 3 pounds... Trying to not get down pass 130 so will add a little more calories as I am not cutting on my exercise since I now look foward to that for stress relase..
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

I intended to maintain at 174, which is BMI 25 for me and the highest weight WW would allow me. I raised points* gradually rather than adding all of my maintenance points at once. 1st week of that I had a 3lb loss so raised my points by 3, had 2 week of the same weight, then lost 2lb again. Cue another 2 points per day. Since then, the last two weigh ins have been the same at 168. Apart from the annoying fact that I'm getting to the stage where my trousers are a bit loose and the next size down would be too tight, I feel at a happy weight around 168, more than I did at 174. So if I can keep it around here, I'll be pleased. Like RoseRR I don't intend to reduce exercise because it makes me feel better.

* The WW points formula here is equivalent to 70 calories, although that's not taking into account the fact that most vegetables aren't counted under the points system.

Last edited by lora m; 06-24-2010 at 06:58 AM.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #4  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora m View Post
The WW points formula here is equivalent to 70 calories,
although that's not taking into account the fact that most vegetables aren't counted under the points system.
My past experience and research re WW points
tells me the normal WW points formula is equivalent to 50 calories per point,
with a large calorie/point reduction for many veggies with high fiber.

Last edited by Bright Angel; 06-24-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #5  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

There has been no giant "woosh" for me , but I can tell that my clothes continue to get loser each week, so my body is still changing. I've only been in maintenance since 6/9, so am VERY slower raising my calories. I find the increase difficult mentally, and some days, I'm just not hungry. After 6 months of eating 800-1200 calories, pushing up to 1800 is a real stretch (and theoretically, I can eat over 2000...but I don't believe it!).

Anyway, I've been at around 1500 calories/day for the last week or so & I'm looking to increase again next week. Exercise has become a critical part of my daily routine & the BEST stress reliever I've ever found, so that will stay. I am expecting that I may drop down another 3-5 pounds over time, but imagine I'll pop back up. My redline is at 147, and because I'm new to this, I haven't really set a lower bound (although I don't think I'll look good if I go below 140, so that is in my head). Ideally, 143-146 is where I should stay.

I guess it is a balancing act that we'll have to figure out for ourselves. I can say that the last 10 is wickedly hard to lose. I had to really decrease my sugars and carbs and up my protein & exercise intensity. Those changes made all the difference in the world.

Cheryl
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
My past experience and research re WW points
tells me the normal WW points formula is equivalent to 50 calories per point,
with a large calorie/point reduction for many veggies with high fiber.
The points formula is different in the UK. I was referring to the UK variant, not the US one. I thought it was clear enough to just say 'here' because my location is listed under my name.

Last edited by lora m; 06-24-2010 at 07:50 PM.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote