Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #1  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Default Maintenance Newbie

Hi there,

I have very recently met my goal weight, and actually haven't really settled into a routine yet due to some family circumstances. I am really battling CRAVINGS now - cravings like I haven't dealt with since starting this most recent weight loss journey on 12/1/2009. This isn't my first time losing weight, but it is my first time ever achieving THIS weight. I've gave up about 10 lbs higher than this the first time I took off significant weight & about 15 lbs higher about 5 years ago for my wedding.

So, my question to all of you role models of success is: what do you do to combat the cravings? How do you distract yourself or what tricks do you have to let them pass before you cave?

I am really craving sweet stuff & I know it is because I induldged over the weekend & my body is still detoxing. I am an emotional eater, and was dealing with the loss of a loved one. Made some bad choices for a few days, but I'm right back on track & definitely NOT beating myself up over it. I feel in control and LOVE how I feel when I'm treating my body with respect. Yet I'm fighting a mentality that says "it's only 1 little treat - it won't matter in the grand scheme of things - you are a healthy weight, so why not" etc. I DO know the answers to these evil thoughts, but need some tricks to banish them permanently before they win!!

So, let me in on your secrets!

Thanks.
Cheryl
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Cheryl! And congrats on your loss!

I usually avoid cravings by allowing myself to have a controlled amount of the thing I crave in a controlled situation. For example, I have a weekly "cheat" meal where I am allowed to eat whatever I want. Then when I'm craving ice cream on Wednesday, I can talk myself out of it by saying, "Well, I can have ice cream on Saturday for a cheat meal. I can wait a few days for the ice cream, it will taste just as good then." Often by the time the weekend rolls around I don't have the craving anymore.

I also avoid having things I crave in my house. If I really want ice cream and I decide that I am going to have it for a scheduled treat, I will go out and buy a single scoop of ice cream. If I do that, I can't eat more than one scoop, whereas if I bought a half gallon to bring home I would eat much more of it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's true 1 treat doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but you have to make sure that 1 treat doesn't happen too frequently in order for that to be true. I like the idea of scheduling treats because it gives me something to look forward to, gives me willpower to avoid treats on other days, and avoids guilt because technically I'm not going "off plan" when I do it since treats are part of my plan.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss!

I wish I had some tips for you, I could use them myself right now as I am also going through a high craving period and *detox* of sorts, having over indulged two weeks ago and than again this weekend.

What I'm doing? - I'm just pushing through it. Decided that I'm not giving in NO MATTER WHAT. I'm food journaling, pre-planning my meals/snacks, having the right foods on hand and not even making it an option TO eat *those other foods*.

Luckily, this is not usually an issue. I rely heavily on planning my meals out in advance. I stick with my routine as I enjoy it immensely.

I look forward to getting to know you better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylmn View Post

So, my question to all of you role models of success is: what do you do to combat the cravings? How do you distract yourself or what tricks do you have to let them pass before you cave?
I combat cravings by getting outside and working on a project, (lawn, garden, house, etc.) Or if the weather does not permit, I clean out closets, the attic, drawers, scrub toilets. I work it off. What I don't do is sit around on the computer, because most of my past eating came about while I was surfing the net. (not saying you did/do this...I did, in a bad way.) I also pray about it, and I sometimes go shopping to try on clothes. (Just to remind myself how much fun it is to shop in normal people sizes.).

Those are my tricks, and if they all fail, I go to bed early and hope (pray) that the next day is a little eaiser.

ETD: Welcome to the group! Congratulations on your weight loss. I am also sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

So true Lori Bell!

Keeping busy is a great distraction - a productive one at that. I love getting involved in something. Takes your mind right off it and like I said, it actually accomplishes something, something worthwhile.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

Yeah keeping your self busy works and coming here helps me a lot..
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote