Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of May 31 - June 6

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning!

Glad to oblige re next week's thread Meg. I'll bet you're excited re new grandchild - your first?

I had a good weekend! Didn't need to take my dad shopping so I got to see the new SATC movie . It was disappointing but that didn't surprise me. The two characters I like the most still got good story arcs and I got a good laugh out of the costumes. And there's something quite decadent for me about seeing a movie in the middle of a day - usually I'm working or doing hosuehold stuff or something so it was like playing hooky .

I finally got all my summer clothes unpacked and my fall/winter clothes put away. I found some lightweight jeans that I've had for about 10 years that fit pretty well so I'm set for summer pants. They are the "mom" cut but they fit!

I'm going to try to drag DH out biking this evening - I'm getting pretty good at it again and want lots of practice before the two bike tours I signed up for in Chicago.

Have a great Monday and Happy Memorial Day!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Happy Memorial Day!

My gym opens at 9. I am going to try to spin at 9:15 and then lift. I have a cold and not a lot of energy, though. Other than that, we have no plans for today. (yay!)

Starting tomorrow I will take my daughter to swim team practice from 8:15 - 9 every morning and then I guess head to the gym straight from there. Oh, and my ILs are coming to visit for a week - they arrive Thursday. Calgon, take me away!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

DS who graduated from high school wanted German Chocoalte cake for his party and then out of down family wanted Mexican food. Both were good, I had banked the calories all week and still ate only 50 calories over for the day but I saw a 1# spike this morning and I am glad. It motivates me to keep on keeping on. My DD is also expecting her second baby in Dec. I love being a trim and active MawMaw. So the left over cake will be finding a new home today. And I am happy not dreading this action. I also don't find any untoward sugar cravings, so I am glad for that too. First real bite of sugar in a while.

Enjoy your trip! I like trips.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Meg, how exciting! Will you get to be in the delivery room, too? Have fun with your new grandbaby.

Dagmar, have you mentioned the two bike tours before? I don't remember if you did. SATC 2 got panned heavily, but it's always fun seeing those four cavorting around.

Wardhog, hope your visit with the ILs goes well. Remember to breathe.

Karen, you can tell you're from the south. I don't think I ever hear "MawMaw" up north.

My gym is closed today and my trainer who has the private gym had the nerve to take today off. My DH is off to work, and my DD didn't come home from a party last night. We'd gone to the party for a little while--was a college (master's) graduation party for DD's friend. I think it was the most awkward party I'd ever been to. We sat in some lawn chairs provided, and everyone else ended up around a table. Felt like the red-headed stepchildren. So we just left and had a glass of wine on our patio.

On Fri. I had the electrical impedence test done to check bodyfat and the breath test to test BMR or something like that. That data, along with lab tests, pointed to a protein deficiency so I need to make sure I get in 110 grams a day. I was really bummed about the bodyfat thing because it showed that I'm skinny fat even though I do resistance training. My bodyfat (using calipers) used to be 24% so it almost made me cry to hear the number. In fact, I don't even remember the specific number, but it was more than what it should be. To maintain my current weight, I need 2200 calories so my plan is to start counting, which I haven't done in a looonnnggg time, give myself 1500 calories, get the 110 grams of protein in and try to add in even more exercise. We're checking again in August so I really hope to have made more muscle by then.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

From last week's thread: Pat~I do love my Kindle. Especially since I'm getting a bit older and it's harder and harder to read without my reading glasses. The Kindle allows you to adjust the size of the print. It's great for travel as you can have dozens of books in one small item. I doubt it weighs a pound. As long as you turn your wireless off (I think it works on the Sprint network for downloads) your battery lasts for weeks. If the wireless is left on, it drains faster--like in a week. The downside is that not all books are released on Kindle right away. Some are, some come out later, some not at all. Sony also makes a reader--Glory could tell you more about that one, I'm not sure where you get downloads for that or if you can only get the ones that are in the public domain (which all e-readers can get). And then Barnes & Noble just came out with their Nook. Of course Kindle and Nook are proprietary so you can't get B&N downloads on Kindle and vice versa, but usually if one is available at B&N electronically, it usually is at Amazon as well.

I'm so happy to have an extra day in my weekend! I was so lazy yesterday--I just had to finish my book! I have a couple errands this morning and then more laziness!

We don't usually go anywhere on weekends like this. I just hate sitting in traffic! So no plans at all today. We'll BBQ some steaks and have salad on the side tonight. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sheila~I've heard of skinny fat. Do they suggest weigh training to "fix" that?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #7  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Happy Memorial Day to all US citizens. Please remember at 3:00 pm in your time zone for the moment of silence for remembrance for all those that have served our country.

Pat, hmm, the phone book? There are narrators I could handle that with. Then there are some I can’t finish a book. How they got a job narrating amazes me. It does get very hot here in the summer. Usually by now. But the jet stream is stuck pulling the air from the Aleutian Islands. So it’s just cold on the west coast. I put Pillars of the Earth on my wish list. It’s 40 hours… There’s an abridged version that’s 10 hours long but cutting 75% of what the author wrote seems extreme. The unabridged is on my list now. Also, I love the Kindle versions for my Mac and my iPhone. I can read anywhere and Amazon’s quiet sync is awesome so I can read a book on either.

Allison, I tried to order She’s Come Undone for the Kindle and it was exactly what you said – not available. I was bummed because holding a book for any length of time kills my thumbs and wrists (too many skiing and rollerblade accidents).

Sznn, I’m loving the book ideas. I devour audiobooks. Especially with DH on swing shift. I love Kathy Reichs’ books and the Harlen Coben Myron Bolitar series (except the one Harlan narrates himself). I usually am not into deep books. I like to be thoroughly entertained. Although the ones mentioned here are on the wish list. Jeff Lindsay’s Dexter series is awesome. I “read” them before the TV series and I tried to watch a couple episodes and hated it because Lindsay’s thought narration in the book is amazing. Great job on the long run. That’s just too much for my wobbly knees. You’re incredible.

Meg, how can you not like German Choc Cake. Ooo-la-la. DH asks for it as well. After his b-day, I sliced servings, seal-a-mealed them and their in the freezer for his enjoyment. I’m too impatient to thaw them. When I want cake, I don’t want to wait. Enjoy your time in New Mexico and the arrival of your grandchild.

Dagmar, I think I’m probably the only female in the world who has never seen a SATC show or movie. I bet if I started I’d park my butt on the couch for the summer. So I won’t start. I’d rather join you biking.

Ward, you will persevere the ILs. At least your cold should be mostly better by then.

Sheila, just remember numbers are numbers. Skinny fat is just so much better than fat fat. I think the coolest part of your post is finding out your caloric and protein need. I bet upping the protein will get the BF number to where you want it to be.

We headed of the mountain for a day of biking and shopping. We had a great picnic along the way and I have a new treat love. The Mini Blizzard from DQ. Nutritionals on it are hard to find but it’s approximately 60% of the size of a small so I’m estimating 350 calories. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Choco Cherry Lovers blizzard and the small is too big. The mini is perfect. What a cool (pun intended) that a fast food restaurant is making smaller portions. DGS had never been to DQ and loves ice cream like I do. He had his first dip cone and I’m thinking his McD fave treat will be a thing of the past. DQ does ice cream way better.

The bike ride was gorgeous. Wild flowers, birds, 75 degrees, blue skies. It couldn’t get better. There was one view that was incredible. The rolling fields of greens and wild flowers (mostly purple) with the mountains in the background. One still had snow on it. I just had to stop and take a pic with my iphone. So here it is.

DD had a lot of problems with the ride. A couch potato going 14 miles was probably a stretch. She says we’re insane. I just said she’s a couch potato. But she made it and wouldn’t quit because I offered to ride back and get the Jeep while she and DGS played at the park. On the shopping front, I bought an exercise bra/top for the summer so I can elliptical with as little clothes as possible. I used it this morning even though it was still chilly and who’d have ever guessed this old lady would have ever worn something like that???

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Marie, I've never seen SATC either! Hmmm, you can use the kindle on your iPhone, which means I could use it on an iTouch..... All these decisions, and I want a new camera too.....

A quiet day here. The weather continues which is great. DH is planting the last of the seeds (which he had to go get yesterday as we ran out) and then he's off for a hike. I'm doing laundry, doing some bookkeeping for our square dance club, and when it warms up a bit I'll be off on a bike ride. I finally took the car over the route I rode to the gym last week. It's 9.4 miles round trip - a nice add-on to a workout.

Sheila - the program I'm doing (from Precision Nutrition) has us eating a minimum of 100g protein a day, and having protein and fruit/veg at every meal. We are supposed to eat starchy carbs only within 3 hours after working out, with - if needed - small amounts at other times (like 1/4 cup brown rice, a little oatmeal, or 1/2 sweet potato). These are all guidelines, of course, and there is no actual "diet" involved beyond eating 90% whole foods. And I agree, better skinny fat than fat fat
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone and Happy Memorial Day to those of us in the US. I just got back from spin class and was psyched when I was spinning and I realized I could come home and participate in the thread without sneaking a break at work! Hooray for days off!!

My dh left for a two week trip to Athens yesterday so I'm bummed he isn't here today with me. We've got two extra girls (dd's friends) until tomorrow when they all drive down to S. California for the summer to work. I'm going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow when they're driving. It's about a 7-8 hour drive.

Younger dd and I went out to dinner last night and to "the gas station". The "gas station" is actually Marshall's but it's our family joke to say we're going to the gas station so dh doesn't always know we're spending $$! I got a pretty sundress and two tank tops. I'm always searching for pants and shorts but I can rarely find them small enough there. I tried on a pair of shorts (size 2) and they were falling off of me. I know that designers vanity size but that still seems ridiculous to me. I look at the juniors clothes but they look tiny! I may have to venture over there but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be a teenager.

Not sure what we're doing today. We may all go to an outside shopping area to walk around as it is a beautiful day. My older dd and her friend took our doggies to the dog park yesterday and the dogs are still exhausted! They walked there and back and it was warmer yesterday than it has been all year (about 80) so they weren't used to the heat! I think I mentioned this week that my great dane, Jozi, is already aging (at age 6). Their life span tends to be 8-10 so I'm praying she makes 10.

Meg-- how exciting! Does she know what she is having? Men are such creatures of habit! My dh wants the same cake every year too--- white cake with vanilla frosting and coconut. I'm a chocolate girl so I can avoid his cake pretty easily too.

Dagmar-- glad you enjoyed the movie. I've been debating going. Dd went and said it was good but not great. When does your dad leave?

I ordered the first Sookie Stackhouse book from paperbackswap after seeing you all rave about them. I'm pretty sure I've not read them before but I'll find out after I receive it! I sometime read so much and I have a crappy memory that I forget what I've read! The other series that is fun and definitely not intellectual is the Stephanie Plum series.

Ward-- good luck with your IL's and I hope your cold gets better. I was realizing this morning how much time I'm going to be spending with my inlaws this summer and I started hyperventilating! Dd and I are going to Houston for 13 days and will stay with them most of the time. We are also all (extended family) going to Maine later in the summer to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary (they honeymooned there). I know I said last year that I was going to show them my tattoo and I didn't but I really think I'll have to this summer as they put a pool in and I plan on doing a lot of swimming to cool off in Houston! They live in a neighborhood with lakes and running paths so I can take a run and then a dip in the pool! While I'm in Houston, I have my 25th HS reunion and dd and I will be looking at colleges. I have a packed summer planned already!

Hi to everyone else! I still ran out of time to say personal hi's to everyone. I just want to mention to Sheila that skinny fat is definitely a reality though I'm sure you have more muscle than you think. Good luck in improving your stats. My mom was true skinny fat. She was 5'7" and the MOST she ever weighed was 120. She STRUGGLED to say over 100 pounds-- literally-- she looked horribly anorexic, BUT she was a skinny fat. She never exercised and she ate whatever she wanted (why could I have not gotten those genes?), but she was flabby everywhere. So weird to see someone so thin with a flabby tummy, arms, and thighs.

Off to shower and then to see what the rest of the day holds!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I spent a little too much time in the sun yesterday (but it was fun!) so told myself to stay indoors today. I cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, washed all the linens, did laundry... it was my "house workout" since my gym is closed for Memorial Day. I'm enjoying the AC. I tried to make it without AC until Memorial day but I broke down a few days ago when it was 95 degrees in the house and we'd been out in the sun all day, again. It is summer in Florida, that's for sure! Thanks for the concern over the oil spill everyone. I'll keep you posted with what's going on with my part of the beach.

Re: the sodium retention discussion last week, I also am more salt sensitive (though no known thyroid or other health problems). I always wonder if it's that I'm more sodium sensitive right now, or that it just makes more of a difference in smaller sizes. You know how the higher the size, usually the more pounds between pants sizes? 5 lbs of water weight doesn't make so much difference on a size 16 body, but on a size 6 or 8 body it's more obvious. But on the other hand my body has definitely changed how it deals with lots of foods - greasy foods, sugary foods, etc. so it could also deal with salt differently.

Michele, but it's not like you're spending a lot of money at Marshall's! I got a $10 pair of cute sandals there Saturday. I love retail therapy at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or Ross.

Pat, glad you're having such nice weather. Sounds like retirement continues to be great!

Sheila, bummer that you were disappointed with the test results but I agree, better skinny fat than fat! Eating more protein, adding more strength training are definitely things you can work on.

Marie, beautiful picture! Must have been a lovely ride.

Meg, how exciting, your grandbaby is coming so soon! Enjoy the trip!

My BF also always wants a steak dinner or lasagna with garlic bread for his birthday every year, given the choice of me cooking anything or me taking him anywhere within driving distance for dinner. I can't blame him for being a creature of habit. I eat carrot sticks and other raw veggies every day for lunch, probably 350 out of 365 days a year, salads with dinner 300 of those days, yogurt and fruit every day for a snack... nothing wrong with habit.

Have a good evening everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Oh Megan! Little do you know! I spend a ton of $$ at Marshalls! It can be a little scary! I had my dd with me that loves to shop so she got more than I did. I was happy to get out under $200 if that tells you anything. :-)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #12  

hi everyone !
nothing special to tell from where I am...

- weather is still cool and wet
- I'm amazed that it is june all of a sudden
- DS and I went to town yesterday for a special occasion...we shopped for a suit for his school prom & because he'll be entering university next year. It is weird, shopping for a suit for this young man who is my son...weird that he is so grown up all of a sudden. But we got a great suit, shirt, tie, belt & shoes, and DS was truly happy with what we got.
- meg ; 1st grand child! wow!

Sheila - re skinny fat: I join the chorus, better skinny fat than fat!

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Sigh. One step forward, one step back. June 1st. Time to recommit yet again.

It occured to me yesterday that I've been over/undereating to maintain my weight (sort of) since I was 11 years old.

I'm 53 now. I'm hoping this behaviour is not so ingrained that I can't ever overcome it. But I keep lapsing back into the same old habits, try as I may to override them.

Only I can change my life but can I do it? I'm beginning to wonder if it's just not possible.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #14  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

How did it get to be June already??? Also, how did I get to be behind on the thread already? Hi everyone!

Summer has definitely arrived here. The highs have been in the upper 80's for a couple weeks now and will be there this week too. Our neighborhood pool is finally open, so now I can do my swim workouts without having to drive 25 minutes and pay $8.

I have been eating way too much junk food. This stops now!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

June 1 = Day 1 of RE-dedication. So far so good. I'll keep y'all posted!!! Besides, if I show up to the doctor at this weight he'll really chew me out. He wanted me to lose 10 pounds last year and instead I gained 10. Well, 8, but still.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote