Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Refried beans

I cooked a big Crock Pot full of beans last night, and we're having leftovers in the form of refried beans tonight.

I've never made refried beans...always used canned. I found ways to do it online, but they either don't have calorie counts or the counts vary widely from 120 calories per 1/2 cup to more than 200 per 1/2 cup...and all start with dry beans, and mine are cooked, which throws off the measurements.

The recipe I'm looking to use (feel free to share yours b/c I'm seeking better) calls for 2 cups of dry beans cooked, drained and put into a pot or skillet where they're smushed together until they're the texture you want, adding only water if needed. Like I said...I started with WAY more than 2 cups of dry beans, and have no CLUE how many dried beans made what I've got left, cooked, or any sort of measurements.

Any ideas? Anyone have any idea on calories in homemade refried beans made with cooked beans?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i have no clue. if it was me, i would calculate it at the highest calorie end you found, and that way you're on the safe side.

i do not even know what "refried" beans are. but that's what i'd do.

grrrkgrrrl
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well I can tell you my recipe for 'refried' beans but it does start from dry. Basically soak black beans or whatever beans you want, then pressure cook them for 10-15 minutes (add chopped onion, chopped jalapeno if you like), then take lid off and cook (stirring occassionally) until enough water has dissipated to simulate refried beans.

Ok now back to your original question, do you have a scale? I'd recommend weighing your cooked beans or even measuring with a cup if you don't have a scale and look up the calories of cooked beans and use that as an estimate.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Good idea Nelie...I forget I have a scale now!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote