3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat: Week Of May 24 - 30 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/202641-maintainers-chat-week-may-24-30-a.html)

traveling michele 05-28-2010 09:02 PM

Pondering a bit about sodium retention..... I've noticed many of us say that we're very sodium sensitive-- that a little sodium causes major water retention, weight gain, etc. This is definitely the case for me but I don't think it was pre-weight loss. Do you think this is because our bodies are no longer used to sodium or is it something due to lower weights? I know many of us have thyroid issues-- could it be tied to that? Just wondering.....

sznn 05-28-2010 10:25 PM

Marie - I am reading 'secret of skinny chicks' it was recommended somewhere on this site. It is ok - not stellar. i just finished 'She's come undone' by Wally Lamb - 2nd time read for me, great book. Going to start a book tomorrow - Secret Daughter - will give you my review once i get into it.

Paperclippy - my half marathon is a month away - but i will need all the luck i can get ;) I am off to do a night run for the blind in a glow in the dark shirt tonight. Too bad it is cold and rainy.

This month has been off plan starting with my trip to Seattle May 1 - need to get things under control before i am back at square one:o

Happy Memorial Day W/E - to all in the US.

S

4rabbit 05-29-2010 01:24 AM

Megan! I have been wondering how you were doing with the oil spill. Everytime I see it on TV I think "that is where Megan is living". Hang in there!

Rabbit from across the pond

Mudpie 05-29-2010 06:05 AM

Hey Megan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4rabbit (Post 3313635)
Megan! I have been wondering how you were doing with the oil spill. Everytime I see it on TV I think "that is where Megan is living". Hang in there!

Rabbit from across the pond

Yeah Megan, how are you? How bad is it?

My DH has been following the story avidly but from the point of "BP are corrupt" rather than "oh god the poor animals/birds/ocean". I'm worried that, if they don't get a handle on this soon, they will kill the entire Atlantic North American coastline. That would be such a sad thing for all of us.

I just received a clip from a friend about soaking up all that oil with hay. Two guys are presenting what looks like a very feasible solution (except for disposal of the oil-soaked hay) to clean up the oil already in the water until they can get the darn well capped or shut off.

Let us know how you're doing and what's going on.

Dagmar

paperclippy 05-29-2010 08:07 AM

Megan, thanks for checking in! I often have to turn off the news about the spill too because it is so depressing. :hug: I hope things calm down for you soon.

Michele, I don't really know about the sodium. When I eat high-salt foods, my weight goes up for a couple days, but I do not get the swelling that many people seem to get (or at least if I do, I don't notice it).

Happy memorial day weekend to my fellow Americans! I have to content with a memorial day BBQ on Monday but I think it will be easy to be OP the rest of the weekend since it is so darn hot all I want to eat is salad.

Shannon in ATL 05-29-2010 09:11 AM

Megan - :hug: I've been thinking about you guys a lot, too. It is just terrible. Enjoy your three day weekend, have some fun and get some rest. :)

Michele - I retain a lot more water from sodium than I used to before I lost weight, or maybe I just notice it more. Not sure which? I'm smaller, so minor fluctuations don't feel so minor. I also find I sweat a lot more salt than I used to as well. I actually feel dried salt on my face after a run, even if I haven't eaten anything salty in a while.

Susan - I've heard good things about "She's Come Undone" - I'm going to see if it is available on Kindle. And you will do great in your half!

Sheila - 5 days of PTO will be nice for DH, and you will have a great time with DD I'm sure. :) How did the nutritionist visit go? I really want to find one here who can test my muscle mass and BMR as well.

About to head out for a run - going to try the roads around my subdivision. never run on the roads before, so am a little nervous, but am trying to find something for a quick run DH & I can use, maybe in the mornings before work. Driving to the park & parking and back adds about 30 minutes even though it is only 5 miles away, and we can't do that in the morning and still have enough time to actually run.

:wave: Good day all!

alinnell 05-29-2010 11:30 AM

Good morning!

I had round two of PT yesterday and I'm starting to think this guy is more like a personal trainer than a physical therapist! He had me do three sets of reps, up from two, and gave me an additional 3 or 4 exercises to do. I'm no more sore today than I was yesterday, but the soreness is in different places. It's all good--it reminds me of when I was working out and feeling all those muscles that I hadn't been using. Makes me want to go back to the gym-but they moved and they are no longer as convenient to get to.

My eating has been so-so. I had to take one of the dogs to the vet yesterday for a heartworm test and by the time I'd worked all day and then did that, I was too tired to cook so we ordered pizza. I didn't overeat, but it made me feel bad that I caved like that.

You know every Friday DH and I go out to lunch? Well, we've found our new "favorite." It used to be this great Italian place that had this wonderful tuna sandwich, but they closed. We had occasionally gone to a place called Charlie's thwat was opened by a guy (named Charlie!!) who is a cabinet maker. He's also way into fitness and body building and he was tired of restaurants that served unhealthy food. So his premise is lower fat and whole grains and all that. We have what is called Rene's lunch (yeah, no idea who Rene is!!). It's a small salad (baby greens and veggies) with a low fat balsamic dressing (on the side) and half a turkey sandwich (cranberry wheat bread, turkey, low fat cheese, lettuce and tomato with a low fat cranberry mayo), and a 1/4 pickle. That and iced tea. We never feel over stuffed and it tastes so good! The waitress doesn't even bring us a menu any more!!

So anyway, it's a three day weekend and I have no real plans. Grocery shopping today and golf tomorrow morning. Other than that I think I'll read. I'm reading The Last Child right now and I'm really enjoying it.

Everyone have a great and safe weekend!

Marie 05-29-2010 12:41 PM

Sznn, thanks for the book recommendation. I have it in my basket at amazon. DH needs a trailer part so I'm waiting on him before hitting the checkout button. They had abridged on audible but I hate abridged versions. If the author took the time to write it, then I want to hear/read it.

Jay, I have been wondering where Kim is as well. Last we heard she has having such major swelling issues.

DD and DGS are here and it's great. 4 year olds are so adorable.

DH and I went biking in a wind storm yesterday. 4 miles into a 15 mph wind with majorly higher gusts. That was PAINFUL. The trip back probably didn't need any peddling. :) Tomorrow we're all going over the mountain and riding again. I just love my ruby red rider.

Marie

WaterRat 05-29-2010 02:43 PM

I was too optimistic with my :sunny: for the weekend yesterday. :( It's very cloudy and still - meaning we have lots of mosquitos (they don't like hot and sunny). RIght now I'm inside, but I need to go pick some rhubarb, hang out the laundry and help DH lay out the rows for the veggie garden.

We have no big plans for the weekend. We'll have some grilled meals I'm sure, and maybe a picnic if the weather improves. Also planning a long bike ride....

Have a good one!!

iriswhispers 05-29-2010 02:45 PM

Megan, I hope things are not as bad as feared with the oil leak.

Sheila, copious amounts of caffeine sound in order for me. Plus one of the nice bonus side effects for me is that it makes me less hungry... :coffee2: not :cbg:

Michele, I know my water retention issues with sodium have been more noticeable since losing weight - although I wonder if maybe it's just that I notice it more and not that it just started happening - same reasoning there as Shannon gave.

sznn, that night run sounds fun! Good luck on the upcoming half marathon!

Marie, I'm not much of a biker - I don't do hills or wind, so props to you! I bet that was GREAT exercise (well maybe not the way back).

My BF has been doing great with working out again, watching his intake a little, and is back below 200 lbs. I'm so proud of him but I don't know why I don't have similar ambition. Maybe because the scale is still hovering in the 130's where I'm decently content, but nothing fits me right anymore. I know I need to get some muscle tone back :lifter: and I'll feel a lot better, but the Arizona summer heat is just not conducive to working out. I better learn to deal with that.

Happy Memorial day to my fellow US chicks!

Marie 05-29-2010 05:05 PM

Iris, the way back on yesterday's ride - I didn't want it to not be exercise, so I put it in the top gear and pedaled like crazy. I could feel a little work on the quads but not much. At least I tried to make it more. Plus it was a blast going that fast.

Pat, Mosquitoes are vultures. Put on the spray or at least the avon stuff.

It is sunny but still way below normal temp wise. At his point, I don't care. I love the sun.
Marie

sznn 05-29-2010 06:56 PM

The 'run for light' was fun last night. It started in the middle of Stanley park at about 9:40pm - we did a little billy banks still warm up to disco first. It was beautiful to run along the seawall at night - and looked very cool as everyone had glow sticks. I was paying close attention to my footing - i was a little nervous about tripping over something and rolling my not yet recovered ankle.
It wasn't a timed run - but i think i was in the top 25% - a 4.3k race is my kind of run :)

I will send some more book recommendations later - great idea to share favorite book titles.

Off to an outdoor concert in the the drizzle tonight - :( I'm sure i won't melt but this awful weather puts a damper on summer fun.

S

WaterRat 05-29-2010 09:40 PM

Ah, books, don't say that word to a retired librarian! :lol: I currently have on my bedside table, but not started, both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and THe Help. Have heard good things about both. I just need to find time to get going. I'm a big audiobook user as well and at home I'm listening to Echo in the BOne, the latest of the Diana Gabaldon OUtlander series. I listen doing housework, gardening, etc. In the car I'm listening to Jodi Picoult's newest House Rules and I'm loving it!! I feel like I need to drive more.....

Mudpie 05-30-2010 08:51 AM

Summer "fun" books

"Bloodsucking Fiends" and "Coyote Blue" By Christopher Moore. The whole Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Am just starting "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave - a little "heavier" read. And I'm trying to get into "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver but it's hard going.

Pat Amazon keeps recommending the "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy to me. Please let me know how you like the first one. I read the first chapter of "Hornet's Nest" online and was intrigued.

Have a great Sunday all! I'm probably going to get a bike ride in this evening, after all the darn errands I didn't get done yesterday.

Dagmar :bike2:

Ms Perception 05-30-2010 09:53 AM

Michele-My 2 cents on sodium....I never noticed the fluctuations or bloatedness before, but I'm nearly positive it was because I was always bloated! LOL Seriously, I did not become aware of the effect of heavy sodium until I was at a lower weight. Now, I notice when my rings are tight because they usually AREN'T (they always were before).

I'm off to stay busy another day. The grad party at school went well and I think my body has gotten enough rest now. Have a happy healthy rest of the weekend!