Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Never could do a somersault when I was younger much less a cartwheel. I admire anyone who tries!

Michele, that's great news about your job! Crossing my fingers for good news for your DH.

Glad you're back to safe drinking water, Bill.

Jessica, pretty scary stuff--glad you and Carter made it back safely, although soaked. When I lived in CO, I used to time my walk home from work by looking at the skies. I really feared being out in a thunderstorm.

Allison, nice going on the prizes. Did your friend have to drive her new golf cart home (assuming it was street legal)?

Megan, sorry about your work headache. Hope things get better.

Marie, that sounds so peaceful and pretty. We've been having the same thoughts about the cold vs. the July heat. I'm tired of the cold (I want to plant the rest of the garden!), but I dread the heat, too.

Dagmar, that's smart thinking starting them off on haltis young. I tried one with my Husky mix, and she would stop in the middle of the street and paw it off. We quit using it after a while, and then she got old and quit pulling so much.

Today was my shelter day. My fellow volunteer took out this shaggy Schnauzer who marked a lot. While she wasn't paying attention, the dog lifted his leg on her. Her pant leg was soaked--eewww!. Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a shelter volunteer.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm below my redline again this morning . This week's additional goal is to stay there until weigh in time next Monday. That means no beer or chips on the weekend.

I posted my goals on the fridge and left DH to his hockey game last night. I listened to music and cuddled with the cats instead of eating mindlessly in front of the TV.

I feel proud of myself this morning. I'm due for a reunion with some people I hung out with in college and I'm determined to wear the size 8 pants without looking like a sausage squeezed into a too tight skin.

Great hump day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

dogmar - sounds like a blast showing off that sexy bod at your reunion rock it!!!

i installed a chin up bar in my basement last night... i have been 'trying' to do one stupid chin up for nearly 15 years! (of course, only recently have i even been able to hold myself up there!) ... so now the test is on! i will try every night to hold and lower a little bit and pull back up...and eventually it will happen!!!

i am at work in body only today - sooo tired of having chronic sinus infections and not being able to take anything for them (I also have thick blood so i cannot take antibiotics to get rid of the infection)... i am 'looking foward' to my surgery in the fall to fix these sinuses!

am at work today, day 2, without my control underwear on... i am feeling a bit nervous as i have been back at work nearly a year since my last mat leave and this is only the second time i've ever come in without it... i was just tired of 'hiding' behind it and being uncomfy all day (and hot!) so... i am trying to accept my roll of belly skin as an accomplishment and not something i shoudl be hiding... deep breath...

hope everyone enjoys this 'hump' day!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #34  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning everyone! Our tree peony opened up last night and it is so pretty! I don't remember the cultivar name, but it is ruffly and lavender colored and smells very nice. Only one bloom this year -- I cut it off and put it on the kitchen table in a bowl of water. We also have three regular peonies, one of which is blooming.

We officially decided on dog sitter #1. I called her references last night and they were really enthusiastic, while meanwhile sitter #2 didn't even get around to emailing me her list of references. Now it's just finalizing details. I'm glad the decision is made. She gets bonus points for saying in her email that she's looking forward to spending time with Carter.

In other news, my parents are coming to visit next week! I'm taking Monday through Wednesday off work to hang out with them. They fly into Chicago today, then we're driving up Saturday to meet them and hang out in Chicago, and driving back to Indy with them on Sunday. It should be fun! On the other hand, this week has to be my spring cleaning week since I want the house to look nice for them. Last night I cleaned all the upstairs windows and dusted the bedrooms. Tonight's plan is cleaning the guest bathroom, cleaning out our cars, and the downstairs windows. Or maybe Carter's nail trim.

Dagmar, great job avoiding the TV!

Happy, good luck with the chin-ups. I can hang from a bar for about 10 seconds but that's it, and I can't hold myself up at the top at all. Someday! First I have to work on being able to do a push-up.

Sheila, LOL about the dog peeing. When I was a kid our dog peed on my friend's mom's leg! How embarrassing! Carter peed on my leg once, but he was aiming for a shrub.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila~no, the golf cart was delivered to their home. It would have been too long a drive anyway. But it is street legal, and she said that last night they drove it to the park that is near their house.

I got peed on by a dog when I was in elementary school. Boy did that make me mad and sad at the same time. I love dogs and never had one growing up. This dog lived by my school and would often come to the playground. I loved petting him--he was a boarder collie. Anyway, one day I was petting him and he peed on my leg. I had on white knee socks. I tried to rinse it out in the sink, but it was so stinky! I think I ended up taking off both socks and going sockless the rest of the day and I'm sure I threw the socks away!

I didn't have a good day yesterday. Eating was out of control for the most part. No scale damage (yet) so I'll have to be extra vigilant today.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sheila-- eww!!! I've personally been peed on many, many times. I worked for a vet for 15 years plus I've always, always had multiple pets. Speaking of pets, my two dogs decided to throw a wrench in my morning by throwing up everywhere. I didn't sleep well last night and I was pretty sure I heard one of them throwing up during the night. This morning there was plenty of vomit downstairs.... Jozi (the Great Dane) went out and tried to eat grass and started vomiting. She refused breakfast so we assumed she was the culprit. Ozzie (the Doberman) ate breakfast, came in and threw up all over. Sigh... they probably ate something outside yesterday. We can't leave them out or they do that but the weather has been nice.

Great job on being under your redline Dagmar!! I'm sure you'll look great in your pants!

Kim-- I had sinus surgery about 18 years ago and didn't realize that people actually breathe through their nose and blow their nose! I guess my nose was so closed up it never even ran. I had the surgery mainly for chronic headaches but the doctor said there was evidence of many, many repeated sinus infections (that I knew nothing about-- but I'd had chronic bronchitis and asthma for years), multiple polyps, and he removed a lot of extra bone (said my passages were so narrow he had to use pediatric tools). Very glad I had it done. Not sure I could do a chin up either. I've always had little upper body strength too. Good luck without your control underwear! Good practice to keep your abs tight!

Jessica-- glad you are looking forward to seeing your parents. And glad you decided on a pet sitter. You will be glad to not have to worry about that issue now.

Allison-- I succumbed a tad myself yesterday. My cruise was almost a month ago and I still can't get the weight off. I am so sick of being perfect it is driving me crazy. It is teacher appreciation week and I usually get forgotten. Two parents brought me small treats and I was so touched. One of them went to a chocolatier and bought me a chocolate kitty because she knew I liked kitties. I haven't had a treat like that in forever. I did eat him/her and she/he was yummy! Monday was staff breakfast day and I only ate fruit. Yesterday was more food and I ate nothing (at school). Today is Cinco de Mayo and I'm not participating (you only eat if you bring something). Friday is staff appreciation lunch....sigh.....

Dh leaves today to get dd from college. He won't return with her until Saturday. He stays overnight one night in a hotel on the way up, one night there, and then one night coming back. I'm hoping to kick up the exercise and the healthy eating while he's gone to kick this weight off! I have to have my official WW weigh in on Saturday and if my weight is still up, I'll adjust my ticker. I haven't had to do that in forever......
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #37  

Question Tabata workout

Anyone heard of or done the Japanese Tabata workout? DH emailed me about it - it takes 4 minutes. Very high intensity 20 second reps with 10 second rests in between.

I'm glad he's looking at doing something but I know this is too much for him and he'll probably injure himself. He hates, hates to exercise so he's looking for something really quick but I don't think this is it.

He's at band camp tonite and I'm going to watch Top Model without his heckling, followed by The Good Wife with yummy Chris Noth.

Have a great evening all!

Dagmar
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #38  
Meg

Dagmar, you're right, tabata training is quite intense. It can be a fantastic component of an exercise plan, but a 4 minute cycle of any exercise certainly isn't a complete exercise program -- so if that's what DH wants, this isn't it.

If he's looking for fast and effective workouts in a minimal amount of time, have him check out Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training program. I think it's only 45 minutes, three times a week, and extremely effective for whole body fitness.

But go ahead and let him do a few rounds of tabata squats or lunges so he can figure it out for himself.

Better yet, give him this workout and tell him it has to be done in 90 seconds or less (courtesy of Alwyn Cosgrove):

25 prisoner squats
25 alternating lunges
25 jump squats
25 jump lunges

Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #39  

Meg Thanks! Neither DH nor I know what any of the moves (except for alternating lunges) in the Cosgrove workout are, never mind doing them in 90 seconds .

I will give him the other workout though and I hope he gets some benefit from it.

I am OP for the 4th day, usually my faltering point re eating. I can do this for a whole week. And another, and another . . . oh yeah, they call that maintenance, don't they?

Great Thursday all!

Dagmar
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #40  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

Owee I am sore. I've been slacking off a bit and am now a bit out of shape! Tuesday I went to the gym and did a legs workout for the first time in about 3 weeks. Squats, side lunges with a barbell, split squats, stiff-legged deadlift, hamstring curls. Yesterday I was sooo sore, so I did abs, and power walked a ran 4 miles. I felt the soreness at first when I started running, but it quickly went to the back of my mind. Now I feel it every time I move my legs, let alone stand up/sit down or attempt stairs! It's a good pain, right? My goal this week is simple - go to the gym 5 days this week.

Actually the gym has really been helping me de-stress after continued crazy/stressful days at work, so I've really been enjoying it, despite the soreness.

Dagmar, you can do it, don't waver!

Meg, jump squats and jump lunges remind me of NRLW's body weight matrix that involves both of those moves. That will make your legs sore, too!

Allison, golf communities and beach communities sound very similar with their golf carts.

Jessica, glad you decided on a dog sitter. Enjoy your parents visit!

Oops... ok... gotta run and do some work. Have a great day all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #41  
slow and steady

Dagmar, LOL about your DH looking for the quickest possible workout. Tell him to do HIIT running, you can get a pretty darn good workout in 15 minutes that way!

Megan, I hope you are less sore soon! I'm still sore from Tuesday's leg workout but I'm planning to do another one today anyway.

This week is kind of crazy. Every evening has been spent cleaning in preparation for my parents coming, and DH has been having a rough week at work. Then last night our neighbor had some painters come and powerwash her fence. When they used the sprayer on it, it blew all the paint chips all over our fence instead! Then they sprayed it with some sort of wood stain remover, and while they covered up the plants in HER yard, the stain remover got sprayed all over OUR plants, including the peach tree and part of our veggie patch. DH is really upset about his lettuce getting sprayed with the stuff because he is now convinced that if he eats it he will get cancer and die. I think it is really related to him being stressed at work, but it is really hard to deal with sometimes when he falls into a depressive funk and he says it's because his lettuce was ruined. So then we had a fight this morning about how I say he's making a mountain out of a molehill (after all, it's just lettuce) and he says I always blow off his concerns and never take him seriously or acknowledge that he has a good reason to be upset. :sigh:

Does anyone know? Will a spritzing of wood stain remover make our lettuce poison? It did rain right afterward, but the stain removed burned holes in some of the leaves...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #42  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Will a spritzing of wood stain remover make our lettuce poison?
My feeling is, I wouldn't eat it. I'd replant. And I'd complain to the company for overspray.

I think your DH isn't upset because it's "just lettuce"--it's that it happened and he had no control over it. Those people just did it, and they were being irresponsible, IMO.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #43  
slow and steady

Thanks Jay, I checked with DH and he did complain to them yesterday and said the guy looked sorry about it and that he said he hadn't expected anything to drift into our yard. They said they will put plastic over our yard and fence when they come back to paint. I know DH is not just upset about the lettuce, I just have trouble with the fact that he tends to make this huge leap from "my lettuce was damaged" to "my entire garden is ruined" and then "my life is a failure," which is what I usually am upset about when I say he's making a mountain out of a molehill. In any case we will talk about replanting but DH is concerned that it is too hot to start growing lettuce now. OTOH he has so many seedlings inside that he has nowhere to plant out, so it might be good after all to have the extra space.

Last edited by paperclippy; 05-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #44  
Workin' It

Good morning! Back from my trip to the mountains, walked right back into the hornets nest at work. Actually, had to come back for a meeting yesterday afternoon just an hour or so after getting back into town. We had a good trip - relaxed, didn't get flooded out by the rain, ate pretty well. It was nice. We need to get away more often...

I've read everything but don't think I'll be able to catch up on all the posts, will just go from here.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

So, not really anything food or exercise related.... but... dh left yesterday to pick up dd. Last night when I got home from the gym I came home to a huge doggy mess. Apparently dd didn't realize! She smelled something but thought the dog was just making bad smells. It took dd and me 45 minutes to clean up. I was pretty sure of which dog it was but now I'm not sure if it is both of them or I tagged the wrong one because I saw the other dog have issues later in the night and this morning. And I woke up to more big messes to clean this morning. Luckily we don't have carpet but a big rug is now in the trash. They've both had immodium so I'm hoping everyone is plugged up for awhile. Dh worked in the yard this weekend so I'm sure they (he?) ate something. Just praying there isn't more when I get home from work but fearing the worst.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote