Maintainers Chat: Week Of April 19 - 25

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to

• Does this look too young for a 38 year old woman to wear to her class reunion? I'm looking at it in silver.
  • When we hear people singing in a monotone, we say that they've gone to the Leonard Cohen school of singing. I absolutely detest Leonard Cohen--well, not as a person, but as a singer. Trying to listen to him while doing anything would make me want to drop and take a nap.

Megan, could you train for the competition because you enjoy it so much, but then not compete? Maybe by the time the competition rolls around, you'll want to compete. Congrats to your training partner on her awesome record!

We went to the Seattle area for the weekend to visit my second son and his GF. We stayed at their house (well, her house really) and spent Saturday working on a home improvement project. It was nice to watch my son and his dad working on a project together. Sunday was gorgeous so on the way back to the airport, we went to the beach in the area where I grew up. The flowers were stunning--loads of flowering trees, bushes and plenty of spring bulbs. I was in flower heaven!

Wardhog, we're in our fourth week of the bathroom remodel (making one into two). Do you have an additional bathroom? We have a toilet in the laundry room, but I have to shower at the gym and my DH showers at work. I'm getting pretty tired of that and of staying in the guest room. Hopefully, they'll be done the middle of next week. So I do feel your pain. And now the contractor knows about my addiction to All My Children.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

Edited to add: Shannon, if I had the body to wear that, I'd be a 57 year old woman wearing it to my H.S. reunion. That's a great dress, and I think you should go for it!
  • Girl, you're gonna ROCK that dress!!! We want pix!
  • OMG, that dress is drop dead gorgeous! It's absolutely not too young for you! Go for it!!

(what shoes would you wear with the silver?)
  • That dress is gorgeous! But I'd probably stick with blue, black or perhaps red. I don't do well in silver...

Great weekend! I took Friday off to make the enchiladas for our party. DD was home for the weekend so we got pedicures in the afternoon and then did a little shopping (shorts, 2 cute tops for me, 2 tops for her). The party Saturday was a roaring success! Everyone raved about my "famous" seafood enchiladas and I had to email the recipe to one person. Every year someone wants it! Sunday morning we got up fairly early and went golfing. I did much better this weekend than last and even got a birdie on one of the hardest holes (mind you, this is a par 3 course).

I've been extremely busy at work this morning. Some days...I guess that's what I get for taking a day off!

Gonna have to look up Leonard Cohen. Although I know the name, I don't know the music. You Tube, here I come!
  • I just peeked in - Shannon, that dress is absolutely gorgeous!!! Don't go, RUN, to get it!!!
    I love the dark blue but I am sure it will be equally stunning in silver.
  • It's just fab, Shannon.
  • Thanks for the dress feedback! They have it in navy, black, red, silver. And I have these silver shoes, from DH's reunion last year actually. Hm. I wore red to his reunion. Hm. Color decisions.

• Happy Birthday to Carter - what a handsome boy!

Hi everyone - happy monday!

My ankle is kind of puffy right now i came home early to get it up and ice it. Also going to do some contrast baths - learned that from my Physio during my broken ankle rehab.
    I am just frustrated at being so clumsy - and now i have to take a week off to heal. I think it is just a Class I sprain - the swelling is pretty minimal and it really doesn't hurt. Hmmm - maybe i should go swimming this week since i can't run.

S
  • nice dress shannon!- i myself like black, but i am sure it would look good in any color
  • The important thing about Leonard Cohen's songs is that you hear someone else singing them.

It's all about the lyrics, I think. He doesn't hold back in the lyrics.

Songs that are worth hearing:
    Suzanne
    Bird on a Wire
    Sisters of Mercy

Judy Collins sang all of these--the early recordings are best. If you Google Judy Collins and the song names, you can get to a player that will let you listen to the song once all the way through. She has a "best of" album out recently that includes a couple of them.

Those were most popular, I guess. This was back when we still listened to folk music....

Jay
  • Shannon-- I LOVE the dress! Where are you getting it? I have my reunion this summer too (for me it is my 25th so I'm older than you). I don't yet know if it will be casual or dressy but I might like to look at that dress as well! Unfortunately I don't really have the chest left to fill it out....hmmmm....
  • Best made plans - no biking tonite or tomorrow. Had to do an extra walk late this afternoon and my legs and feet were throbbing when I finally dragged in the door at 5:30. My hairdresser goes away Wed. for 2 weeks and I need a cut now! So she can squeeze me in tomorrow at 7 p.m. Boy life is complicated sometimes. Hope the weather holds for Wed - biking solo, and Thurs - biking with DH.

Nice dress Shannon! I do not have the cleavage required to fill that style myself.

And Leonard Cohen is Canadian. We are not all exceptionally beautiful and talented in all things. His forte is lyrics. He actually started out as a poet. If anyone's ever taken Qualludes (sp?) I believe his singing voice can produce the same type of reaction.

I'm going to get my work stuff set up for tomorrow and then go and take a long, long hot shower.

Have a good evening all!

Dagmar
  • I love Leo Cohen, voice, lyrics, the whole package.
  • Quote: I love Leo Cohen, voice, lyrics, the whole package.
    Ah, yes, we have a number of his recordings as well. Very popular with those of us "coming of age" in the 60's. Now Rod Stewart, there's a man who should get someone else to record his songs....

Coming down to the home stretch for leaving Wed night. Last night DH called me and after we talked about the fact that I'm just bringing a carry on, he asks if I can bring him another shirt! Men! I know they don't listen (sorry Bill and Gary).

Oh well, I need to be paying a couple of bills instead of reading here. Have a great day!