Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #31  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I took a grad student out to get some water samples this morning, and she brought me a package of homemade chocolate chip cookies. They looked yummy but just didn't seem worth the calories since I had a great run last night and didn't want to undo it. I gave them all out to my coworkers and ate my healthy lunch, so I'm patting myself on the back.

I have trouble with earbuds falling out, too. I had a pair of the earbuds with a piece that wraps around the ears similar to this that I loved. They wore out after about 3 years of heavy use, and I need to get another pair.

midwife, I'm glad the turkey turned out well! I'm going to try and make a pot roast for the first time next week, and am very intimidated by the idea. But I refuse to be afraid of pot roast! Good for you for overcoming your turkey fears!

Bright Angel, it seems as if you know your body very well and maximize your nutrient intake, and it would certainly be very hard to eat less than you do now. My only thought is that perhaps your body is meant to be at the weight it is. I'm reminded of JayEll's thread in this forum from this past week, if you haven't read it. She finally decided a slightly higher weight was acceptable to her, after much frustration and stress trying to get to her former lower maintenance weight. I hope you know all of our thoughts and suggestions are coming from a caring place, not a judgmental one. Good luck!

Dagmar, my body misses exercise too! I just sort of get sluggish when I'm not exercising. My energy isn't regulated as well. I need proper food and activity to feel my best.

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Just a quick fly-by today.

Buddy is still doing okay. Last night DH and I had to scoop him up with a beach towel and carried him to his bed. I was able to get him to stand up this morning and he went outside on his own and walked around for a good 15 minutes before he ate. His appetite is still good. I found some nsaids that had been prescribed for him earlier this year and started him on those again in hopes that they'd ease any pain or discomfort he may have, but it seems that it isn't pain as much as weakness and instability.

I survived our workers comp audit this morning! He was in and out in 45 minutes--a record! One year he was here ALL day!

My weight seems to be coming back down again. Hooray for that, but I still have a ways to go.

Take care everyone!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #33  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, Carter growled at the snowman a little bit last night, and barked at it some more this morning, but not the constant nonstop barking like he did yesterday. Hopefully the more he sees it out there the more used to it he will get!

Allison, I hope that the pills will help Buddy be more comfortable.

Meg, I hate earbuds too. I was thinking of getting an iPod shuffle to use for workouts, but when I found out the controls are on the headphones and you can only use earbuds, I decided not to. Who can run with earbuds in? They just fall out! I have a pair of Sony headphones that are sort of like earbuds but they wrap around my ears so that they won't fall out. I'm pretty happy with them.

Midwife, glad the turkey turned out well!

Megan, great job with the cookies!

BrightAngel, like Meg I would recommend getting your thyroid levels tested, even if you had them tested a year ago. Hypothyroidism can set in at any age and is more common for older women. Your level can go from normal to abnormal in as little as six months, so it is worth looking into even if you have had it tested before.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #34  
slow and steady

So I started stage 6 of NRLW today, the one where the first exercise is negative chin-ups? They honestly believe that I can hold myself up on a chin-up bar? I bet the guy who was on the treadmill was laughing hysterically at me. I got up to the bar, but as soon as I tried to pick up my feet, I was basically finished with the negative chin-up! My arms are way too weak. But I guess that is the point.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #35  
Workin' It

Hi everyone! I am seriously sore today... Yesterday I got angry about the poor delivery of DH's Christmas present, so did too much... I got him handmade LP shelving that was being delivered freight. They didn't schedule delivery, just left it outside in the rain. Luckily my builder caught it when he was working next door and put them into my garage for me. When I got home I had to unwrap the damp packaging material to make sure that they weren't wet and ended up taking them upstairs by myself - two wooden three shelf units, weigh about 65 pounds apiece. Afterward I did a LB workout from a 3 day intermediate split workout I got off of stumptuous, and did more weight than I have before using the barbell instead of dumbbells. Today I spent three hours with our controller putting together shelving and moving boxes in the storage unit. We are greater than halfway done. Woo hoo!

Jessica - negative chinups do the same thing to me. I'm glad I do them in the garage so no one can see me! And, I actually run with the apple earbuds, I wear a headband to keep my bangs back and wind the wires around the headband and then put the buds in my ear. I really need some around the head ones though.

Allison - glad Buddy is doing well today. And that your audit went smoothly!

Megan - good job with the cookies! And I love Publix... I don't always shop there because it is a little more expensive, but I go there when I can. They have great fruit.

Bright Angel - I don't have any advice for your situation, but I know how frustrating it is when you are doing everything right and the weight keeps moving up.

Dagmar - my body misses exercise when I don't do it as well.

ICU - sounds like a good redline! on being under 150 during the holiday.

Midwife - the turkey sounds great!

Meg - I've had those Sennhauser headphones in my cart on amazon for months. Are they fantastic?

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Postings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
My Introduction (page 13) contains that information, as well as other relevant things that I feel are impo.
There are about 80,000 3FC members. I don't know of anyone who reads every post by every poster. It is not because we don't care, it is just not possible to read everything.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #37  

Bargoo - I'm sure no-one reads every post, and it certainly isn't compulsory if you react on a post in thread A to know facts from a post in thread B.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy! I hate the week after a long weekend. Grrrr. Even though there's no one here to create work, I always have too much to do. How is that possible?

It warmed up here yesterday afternoon (about 35F) and started raining. It rained all night, and the wind blew. About 5 am we lost our power at the house (though not at work). At least we have a wood stove for warmth and a gas cooking stove so there was - ahhh. All done with the light of candles and flashlights. Because we're on a well, and the pump is electric, we try to keep our water use to a minimum when the power is out, so I chose to brush my teeth at work, and DH will do the dishes when the power is back on.

Bright Angel - I hear your frustration, and have no other suggestions. It seems like you have a choice whether to make peace with your current weight or to continue trying to get lower. Like JayEll, I'm in your age group (I'll be 65 in Jan) and it is harder and harder to lose.

Allison - glad to hear the dog is hanging in there. One of my co-workers just lost a dog (16 year old - yes 16! - rottweiler) who had the same issues as your Buddy.

Jessica - hope you got into the swimming lessons. Now that I've signed up I'm anxious for them to start!

I have behind the head headphones as well, though with the pads that fit over your ears. Mine are travel ones and they fold up which makes it easy to tuck them into a pocket when not in use. I cannot stand earbuds. My DH recently got hearing aids, and they have a nice little piece that fits into the ear canal, lots better than earbuds (of course they cost a lot more too! )

Meg - congrats on your upcoming grandma-hood. I'm sure it will be tons of fun! Since we never had kids, I have to share my sister's grandchildren, along with DH's niece's kids. Unfortunately they don't live close - but I do what I can when I visit, and send them presents....

Shannon - OUCH! I know why you're sore. Good job with the
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #39  
slow and steady

Pat, I just signed up so I'm in! The minimum for the class is 4 people but last time they filled up before I could sign up, so I don't think there will be a problem getting to that level. Now I just need to figure out when I'm supposed to eat dinner if I'm going to swim from 7:15-8:00pm.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #40  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, that's a tough one. At least when I did the 8:30 one I ate dinner at a normal-ish time. And this time it's 5:15 - 6:30 so dinner will be a little late, but not awful. Can you eat your big meal at lunch and do heavier snacks at like 4:30 and then when you get home? Something like that would not have you eating a big meal so late in the evening.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #41  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
There are about 80,000 3FC members. I don't know of anyone who reads every post by every poster. It is not because we don't care, it is just not possible to read everything.
Very Understandable.
I'm new to the Forum and posted an Introduction on the Maintenance Introduction Thread,
then I read through the Introduction Thread to try to learn about you all.
I suppose I thought that since there are so few Maintainers,
that the Regulars would read the new Maintainers' Introductions,
or have read the recent posts on my recent Thread (located just a few lines under this Thread)
which also has a copy of my Introduction,
before giving advice in response to my above-posted situation.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #42  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Bright Angel - I hear your frustration....It seems like you have a choice whether to make peace with your current weight or to continue trying to get lower.
Thanks, WaterRat,
That is it exactly.
For now, I'm committed to the struggle
to get back inside the area in my Maintenance Weight Range that I find acceptable.
But even though committed, sometimes I just need to vent about it.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Hey everyone - I'm popping my head in again after a few crazy weeks. I'm right back to the grind but had a great weekend at my parents' place and am trying to not get too stressed out about things right now (easier said than done!).

I can't believe it's DECEMBER!! I can at least say that I'm super glad I'll be done with the required coursework for my master's degree in just two weeks... next semester I'll just be working and doing research. And maybe taking one class for enrichment.

I'm already struggling with holiday festivities and food - my goal this year is to enjoy a LITTLE BIT of the good things (like the cheesecake last night) without going crazy and to keep up with my exercise.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Found myself standing in a client's kitchen yesterday, facing down a plate of freshly baked gingerbread cookies (I looove those). She had left a note telling me to help myself.

The first impulse that ran through my mind was to just take the entire plate! Then reason prevailed. I took the dog for a walk first and then took two cookies with me.

I really enjoyed them at home with a cup of tea. I made sure I wasn't distracted and concentrated on what I was eating, rather than stuffing them into my mouth in the car.

And it was enough .

Have a great hump day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #45  

Dagmar
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote