What does it FEEL like to be thin?

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • It's definitely a bump-worthy thread. I must have missed it in 2009, although I was on the boards.

I loved Robin's story of crying after her DH picked her up. Last week, I picked up my DH and took a few steps with him on my back. I can't say that it was comfortable, or particularly romantic when I dropped him. (Sorry, hon!) The Boy saw this (age 8, 52-ish pounds), and wanted a bouncy piggy-back ride where the "horse" stops every few feet and jumps up and down in place. And another. And another. And another. I'm so thankful, and happy, and proud, that I can play with him this way.
  • I think even better than the feeling of thin is the feeling of STILL THIN!

I just noticed that my first post on this thread was over a year ago...and now, a year later I weigh exactly the same as then. That my friends, feels great!!
  • I don't think I qualify as "thin" but I am completely struck by how it feels to be able to run and run and run. It really and truly feels like a miracle to me.

When I was morbidly obese I had no cardiovascular fitness whatsoever, and over time I realized that I couldn't run at all. Just ten running steps and I felt winded. The only time I EVER ran was if one of my kids had taken a tumble, and the dash to try to get to them terrified me. Most of the time, someone else got there first. I used to fall asleep and dream that I was running, only to wake up and find myself trapped in a morbidly obese body.

When I started running it felt IMPOSSIBLE. Just 30 seconds and I felt like I was going to die.

Now, I run and run and run and to realize that I'm running and I'm not winded feels exactly like it use to feel in my dreams. It feels absolutely incredible.
  • How does it feel to be thin? That's such a great question!

I'm just starting to enjoy shopping again...at a mall!! That means I have let go of a lot of anxiety. It takes me about six hours now to get fairly overwhelmed whereas before, stepping inside the mall had me completely overwhelmed. It feels great pulling styles off the rack that were previously off limits to my shape.

It feels weird to be able to fit through spaces that visually I should not fit through. Like walking between cars? Or between my car and garbage can where I used to have to walk around? Or fitting into our wing backed chairs?

And very little gets me winded these days. I out sled my children now!

My bones are taking me by surprise. I have to use the word "weird" again. Scratching feels weird because I'm scratching bone and that's going to take some getting used to. I find it creepy.

I feel so strong at the gym. I feel like I belong there. I really need to find some more social outlets for my love of the gym. Solitude is nice sometimes but I thrive on the classes.
  • Wow....I have had this Cloud 9 feeling since this morning and knew it was because I am loving what I am seeing in the mirror. I wanted to post about it and then decided not to because I did not want to ruffle any feathers.

But can I say, being fit and at a normal weight is AWESOME! I never ever wanted to be thin...I love my curves (the little I have left) so I am loving where I am at now.

My clothes fit, I look hot and I am no longer self-conscious. I am 5'8" tall and right now I have on a 3" heel shoe at work. When I was fat I would never have done this but being at a normal size - I am rocking these shoes!
  • Yes, I had a whole new language open up to me, and that's the language of clothing.

I can look in my closet with a certain base level of confidence, and when I select something, it's not simply because I look less fat in it, or because it's one of the few things that fits me.

It's because I want to look a certain way or say something in particular. Like, today I want to wear a very tweedy riding jacket, because it feels like fall, or it's the middle of winter, and I'm going to wear a bright yellow cashmere sweater, because I'm longing for the sun, or today I feel slinky & urban, and want to be all in black, or I just ironed a crisp white shirt & I have a Victorian brooch I haven't worn in a while.

I can do all this -- I can play paper doll with myself -- because finally I live up to the image that I had in my head.

It's nice to have all those possibilities open up beyond basic cleanliness, neatness, a sort of inobtrusive decency.
  • Wow, this thread is fantastic. It's given me a ton of motivation.

Saef, that's one of the things I want the most...to be able to wear whatever I want and not worry about it flattering me. Cute little skirts and dresses, stockings, leggings, jean shorts (a big one for me, I haven't been able to wear shorts since elementary school), heels without feeling like I'm going to die from the pressure on my toes or the fear of teetering over. I want to just throw on whatever I want. I also want to be able to wear light clothes in summer. I've worn jeans and long sleeves in 100 degree California July! Talk about miserable.

I'm short, so I want to feel small and petite and bouncy and cute...something that I've never felt but have always been envious of. I always thought I was doomed to be fat, but I realize now that I can be all of those things, and I will be!
  • Im sorry but i had to bump this. Ive been struggling so much the last 2 months to get back into the gym so i havent lost anything and now that ive been better ive lost 10lbs in 2 weeks. Its amazing to hear how you guys feel. Im 21 and hate when people ask if i want to go to 6flags because i wont fit into the seats and obv wont tell them that or when people have bbqs and i feel like im sweating to death or always wearing dark colors. I want to know what its like to wear a pair of shorts and tank top out in public and feel good about yourself. to know what it feels like walking into the gym and not thinking people are staring out you. I just want to be a normal young lady and its fab to hear you guys saying all the things i want. Ive only lost 30lbs and i already feel the physical difference i just hope i can stay on track!
  • I think I would amend this question for me to ask: What does it feel like to be fit and toned? Never, ever in my 39 years on this Earth have I ever been proud or happy with my physique. My self-esteem has always been in the toilet, lol. It's a wonder that I managed to let my hubby in to my dark place.

I'm still hoping to be at 15% body fat eventually but I'm happy with the progress I've made thus far. I never thought at my age I'd get to 18% body fat or be 117 lbs. I haven't been this small since I was like 14 years old, lol.

I am so much more self-confident in how I look and my marriage has blossomed b/c of it. I'm an overall happier person and I no longer dread turning forty.

I guess I owe it all to my late mom. Because of the horrible way she died from terminal cancer from not taking care of herself, that propelled me to want to do something once and for all.

*gazes heavenward and waves* "So..thanks, Mommy. Love you and hope you are proud of the healthy, vibrant, active woman I have become. Miss you like crazy. YOU. DID. NOT. DIE. IN. VAIN."
  • For me, a lot of it is about NOT feeling self-conscious. Sometimes I have to get up and speak in front of people for my job and now I always notice the absence of the worries I used to have about what people were thinking about me. Were they thinking "Look how fat this woman is. She must be stupid and lazy." Were they looking at my clothes and thinking I was too big to wear what I'm wearing or that my belly rolls were showing through my shirts? Were they dismissing everything I said because I was fat?

Now I don't think about what I look like when I get up in front of people *at all* and I can focus on what I'm saying and connecting with the audience. It's really amazing.

Shopping with friends is a great feeling too. I have always loved shopping- even when I was relegated to The Avenue and Lane Bryant. Now, I can finally go shopping with my girlfriends and try things on and come out and show it to them and have them say "Ooooh, that looks great!" And I can do the same for them. I love this and I feel like I missed out on it for all my life until now.

I really do look in the mirror and love what I see. I'm not perfect- I have cellulite and stretch marks. But I feel like I'm average. Nobody is going to look at me and think anything about my weight. I feel like they can finally just see me as a person and not a fat suit.

I concur with the hip bones and ribs and other knobby bones I never knew I had, they're fascinating. Collarbones especially. And shoulder muscles! How cool is that. When I was fat, I could lay on my back in bed, lace my fingers on my belly, let my arms hang down and my elbows wouldn't be resting on the bed because my belly was so big. Now, I can rest my elbows on the bed and lace my fingers together and it makes a big arch over my body into which I could fit another me! It's really crazy. Also, I can't stop looking at myself in mirrors. Some people might think it's vain, but I don't care. I've worked damned hard for this and I'm going to enjoy it and let it really sink in!
  • Quote: Im sorry but i had to bump this. ... i just hope i can stay on track!
    "Don't hope, do". "Make a plan, write it down". "write before you bite"."hard to go off plan when you have one". I remember reading these mottos when losing and how they have become second naturre to me now. A good ingrained habit. I have made my upcoming meals for our annual family jaunt to the beach- a 12 hour car ride! While losing, I lost when I traveled. While maintaining, I maintain while traveling. Both phases required pre-planning. I know what I am getting when we stop at Chick Fil A. No guessing. A lot of this is auto pilot that requires a small bit of time. Not so in the beginning. The initial discomfort of learning something new has paid off for me later on.

What do I get from this planning- food peace and a thin body. One I am quite happy with while wearing a bathing suit on the shore. Not a bad trade off.

Might I suggest diethobby as a place to get some tips from too? The more you read and learn, the easier it will be for you to formulate a plan for life that you can follow.
  • Feels like a lot of pressure to stay that way lol. No but I feel younger. I feel like a teen. I can jump so high and get through a workout so much better. St my heaviest I was 180's and I was pregnant. Not pregnant (post-natal) I was 165. And my smallest as an adult I was 130. But I looked 115. Not sure why having more muscle makes me weigh so much and look so tiny. Like my current avatar pic. It was taken today and Im 140lbs now.
  • Quote: Feels like a lot of pressure to stay that way lol. No but I feel younger. I feel like a teen. I can jump so high and get through a workout so much better. St my heaviest I was 180's and I was pregnant. Not pregnant (post-natal) I was 165. And my smallest as an adult I was 130. But I looked 115. Not sure why having more muscle makes me weigh so much and look so tiny. Like my current avatar pic. It was taken today and Im 140lbs now.

Wow, you look amazing. My sister is your exact height and weight and people always think she's like twenty lbs. lighter, lol. I think muscle makes you look tiny b/c it's lean muscle mass as opposed to fat which is kind of blobby looking. People always think I'm like 10 lbs. lighter than I am because I'm kind of 'compact', lol. I once saw a Dr. Oz show where he had five lbs. of fat and compared it to five lbs. of muscle and the difference was...staggering. What an eye-opener. Congrats on the weight loss so far.
  • Quote: Wow, you look amazing. My sister is your exact height and weight and people always think she's like twenty lbs. lighter, lol. I think muscle makes you look tiny b/c it's lean muscle mass as opposed to fat which is kind of blobby looking. People always think I'm like 10 lbs. lighter than I am because I'm kind of 'compact', lol. I once saw a Dr. Oz show where he had five lbs. of weight and compared it to five lbs. of muscle and the difference was...staggering. What an eye-opener. Congrats on the weight loss so far.
    Thanks. I am struggling as well. I am a binge eater..sadly. And I have IBS with constipation. So I am a laxative abuser unintentionally. Its so hard to stay small. Just keep at the working out. That seems to make me smaller as I bloat lol.
  • Quote: What do I get from this planning- food peace and a thin body.
    One I am quite happy with while wearing a bathing suit on the shore.
    Not a bad trade off.

Might I suggest diethobby as a place to get some tips from too?
    The more you read and learn, the easier it will be
    for you to formulate a plan for life that you can follow.
    Congratulations Karen on your successful maintenance,
    and thanks for liking my website, diethobby.