Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of August 17 - 23

Good morning! I'm on my first mug of coffee and getting ready for a new week. This morning is going to be a bit out of the ordinary because I have my annual physical. I figure I can still make it to the gym but will have to cut it short after 45 minutes of cardio so I can shower and be there on time. The killer is the fasting part -- I always go to the gym without eating so no problems there but then eat as soon as I get home. Today breakfast will be delayed by a few hours and hopefully I won't gnaw my PCP's arm off. Fortunately black coffee is still OK!

Right now it's 3 degrees warmer here in Pittsburgh than in NM, where DD lives -- and our humidity is 89% while hers is 32%. There's the difference between NM and PA in a nutshell. It's going to be the hottest day of the summer today, the weatherman says.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for another steroid injection in my back and so get a day off from work (but will work Saturday to make it up). My last series of injections lasted for almost a year so I'm hoping for as good of results this time around. The bummer is that I'm not supposed to exercise for 24 hours afterwards. Whatever will I do with myself at 5:30 am?? Maybe they'd let me just walk a bit.

Other than that, it's going to be a pretty typical week. What's everyone else's week look like?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It's not often that I'm the second on to post on the weekly chat!

We made it to the Il Palio yesterday. And you'll be happy to hear I arranged myself accordingly!! We arrived around 3:15 PM and took one bottle of water in with us. We watched three of the contradas march in and then followed them to Il Campo where I bought a liter sized frozen water. It was actually nice to cradle that like a baby while we waited. It kept me cool. After about an hour the parade started. All the contradas march (there are 17 of them) and all are dressed in costumes that look heavy and hot. Some of the men wore pageboy wigs under hats. Other men wore full suits of armor. While marching in, there were helpers that would occasionally lift the armor for the man to relieve him of the weight. By 7 PM the horses and riders came out on the track. Since the starting gate is just a rope, the riders had to get the spirited horses to line up in a specific order before the race could be one. There were three false starts (which we heard was not unusual). Finally the race began at about 8:15 PM (during which time we were crammed in with several hundred other spectators). My frozen water melted within 2 hours and the crush of people was beyond hot. The breeze wasn't sufficient to keep us cool. Afterward we made it to our car and back to our hotel by 9:15 or so and relaxed with a cold beer. That was our dinner!!! And then we were off to bed.

Today, we got a little lost again (what's new--it's beginning to be the story of my life!!). But we finally figured it out and arrived in Perugia where we'll stay for a day/night and then on to Arezzo tomorrow. After that we'll make our way back to Florence (not looking forward to driving in there again!!) for our final night before we head to the airport on Thursday. We should get home late Thursday evening (Phoenix) and then I'll drive home Friday.

At this point I have NO idea where my weight is. I've eaten a lot more than I'm used to, but with all the walking I might fare okay. Well see on Saturday morning.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, Meg! Good luck with your doctor visit and injection.

Hi Allison! It sounds like you're having a great time!

I am going to get the kids off to school and hit the gym for back to back classes. I might even walk there and back. After that, I might brave the dreaded Wal-Mart.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #4  
No description available.

Good luck at your annual, Meg. I hate fasting tests cause I am in arm-chewing mode myself by the time the blood draw rolls around. One of the ways I know I am doing well on my plan is that my body is very efficient with food and I get HUNGRY....vs that overstuffed bloated feeling from off-plan foods that just. sit. in. there. for. hours. Good luck staying cool today.

I love reading about your adventures in Italy, Allison! Sounds like you are making better food choices on your European adventure than I did.

Good luck at Walmart, Ward! We had a new one open here so I actually went in (I avoid Walmart as a rule). I was impressed with the prices and picked up a few things....and then was in line forEVER and remembered exactly why I avoid Walmart as a rule.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Meg, good luck with the doctor! I hope the back injections help too.

Speaking of doctors I had a weird incident when I went in last time. Normally my BP is right about 120/80. Last time I went in they took it as 135/95! I was like, uh, are you sure you did that right? My BP is *never* that high (mostly the bottom number shocked me, 80 is about as high as it ever gets and it's usually closer to 70). They took it again and got 130/92. Five minutes later I got a 123/82. I don't get it.

Allison, sounds like you're having a great time in Italy!

Ward - LOL, I would call it the "dreaded" Wal-Mart too.

Midwife, how is it that Wal-Mart can have 40 lanes and somehow only two of them are open and there is a line of 30 people in each one?

Well, I did my second triathlon yesterday! The full report is up on the triathlon chat thread in the exercise forum. In summary, it was fun, but I ended up walking half of the run and my total time was somewhere around 2:20 (no official results yet). The rest of the day yesterday is kind of a blur since I was so tired. I came home, took a shower, took a nap, drank some water, took another nap, at massive quantities of watermelon, took the dog to the park, came home and ate more watermelon, ate a big bowl of pasta, and went to sleep at 8:30.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Normally my BP is right about 120/80. Last time I went in they took it as 135/95! I was like, uh, are you sure you did that right? My BP is *never* that high (mostly the bottom number shocked me, 80 is about as high as it ever gets and it's usually closer to 70). They took it again and got 130/92. Five minutes later I got a 123/82. I don't get it.
This is actually quite common. Some people experience anxiety just walking into a doctor's office, so their readings are always high the first time. Then they settle down. It's also not uncommon to measure BP at home and get two different readings 5 minutes apart, if you sit quietly for the 5 minutes in between.

At my old doc's office, they would routinely measure twice--once by the nurse when you got into the exam room, and then again by the doc when he came in. My reading the second time was always significantly lower.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone!
I have to just do a quick run by because I am back to work (school) today.

Allison-- your travels sound amazing! Can't wait to see pics!

Jessica-- congrats on your tri!! I looked up tri's around here and they have some "tris for fun"-- is that the kind you do or do you do a competitive one?

Meg-- hope your shot works well. My mom-in-law gets them routinely. They don't work all that well for her-- she really needs surgery but doesn't want to get it. Of course, the fact that she never exercises or does PT doesn't help her either.

Hi to everyone else!

I have been monitoring my post cruise weight daily. I was up 7 pounds after the cruise last Monday. By the time I weighed in Saturday, I was up 3.4 pounds. This morning the scale suddenly slid down leaving me only up about 1.5 pounds. I am going to keep working hard and hope my weight is back to normal within the next week or two. My dh is traveling which always makes it easier for me to stick to plan.

Ward-- are your kids starting school today? We start next Tuesday here though I am officially back today. I also have a "No Walmart" rule. I hate that place. Love Target, but hate Walmart. Though I think the Walmart here is actually a lot nicer than where I used to live.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #8  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Michele, my kids went back last week. Only one behavior warning so far, but they'll start getting more comfortable with the new teachers soon.

I also love Target and avoid Wal-Mart, but they are the only store that carries my beloved snack size Zone Perfect bars. I also really like this one brand/style of sports bra they have. So every once in a while I have to make the trek over there. I probably go to Target once a week. Oh, and speaking of Target - the last time I was there they had a bunch of C9 workout tanks on clearance - I think I bought 4 ranging from $3.50 to $7.50. Great deal if you're in the market for new workout wear!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #9  
Workin' It

Good morning!

I despise Wal Mart, but will admit that we sometimes get groceries there if we are looking to trim some expenses that week, and there is one right around the corner from my office so I sometimes run for quick things during the workday... It always takes forever, the self checkout is never open so it teases me when I'm in line behind 30 people with full carts and I have two items, and it always feels like I'm leaving a piece of my soul behind when I leave... Even at the new one just north of me that is a lot nicer than the traditional Wal Mart... I do like Target though, shop there a lot.

Ward - thanks for the info on the tanks! I need to check that out. I got some good deals on workout wear a few weeks ago at Ross - running shorts for $4-$7, tanks all over the board price wise. A little limited on sizes and colors, so not much matches, but I don't particularly care about that as I primarily workout at home.

Michele - DSS started pre-K last week, too. We've gotten more than one behavior warning already... Glad your weight is coming down post cruise!

Jay - same things happens to me with BP - nurse takes it out front, doc or second nurse takes it again when they come in, it is always lower. I used to think it was just me until they said they see that a lot.

Jessica - high five on the triathlon! They are having a sprint one here Labor Day weekend, but I think I found out about it too late to be ready for it... Don't even own a bike. Might try one next year if I get a bike - DH & I are thinking about them so we can bike with DSS as he gets older.

Midwife - I find myself starving a lot too, so it is because our bodies are more efficient now? I like that thought.

Allison - you guys sound like you are having a great time!

Meg - hope your visit goes well today!

The baseball game did get rained out for us last night - we got there at a little before seven, went in and got settled, got some snacks, rain started around 7:30, our seats were covered so we stayed seated trying to wait it out. We lasted until 8 to try to give the rain a chance to stop, but then went ahead and went home. I think that he would have been fine if it hadn't been raining - there wasn't anything going on at that point and boredom set in pretty quickly.... We'll try again, maybe on a Saturday. He was very excited all the way there and seemed to enjoy himself (except for the loud drumming of the band outside the park) up until that point... I ate a hot dog with chili, cheese and jalapeno peppers. I'm not sure what came over me....

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #10  

Shannon, pityabout the game!

to everyone,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #11  

Shannon, I can relate most concepts in life to birth and breastfeeding and I kind of relate this concept to breastfeeding (bear with me!). Breastmilk is readily digested and babies are very effficient at using breastmilk so often breastfed babies want to nurse every 1-3 hrs (or cluster feed even more often--although that tends to be more likely in non-Western cultures). Formula-fed babies tend to stay fuller longer and can stretch out their feeding intervals to every 3-4 hours or so. Sometimes breastfeeding mamas are surprised at how often their babies want to nurse, expecially when what they consider average or typical is based on formula fed kiddos. When I am eating healthy foods, I need to eat often and I feel contentment and also I feel hunger a couple hours later. When I eat junk food, it just sits and hunger doesn't occur for hours and hours. Anyway, it's a fun reflection for me....I think my body is more efficient with healthy natural foods.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Midwife - that makes a lot of sense! I felt all full and kind of icky after the hotdog, pretzel and milkshake blast of last night, but have eaten larger quantities of healthier foods that didn't produce the same effect...

One of my coworkers is on the hCG diet - she isn't giving me a lot of detail, is actually avoiding my questions, but I know she is eating very little - I'm thinking less than 1000 calories per day, maybe closer to 500. I guess she is also getting the hormone shots as well - she stumbled a little giving me the name of the diet, so I think she didn't really want me to know what it was... I'm pretty worried about her. I just don't see good things coming from this... Should I try to talk to her? We have discussed dieting a lot in the past. I actually started dieting and exercising after I started working here, so she has seen me be successful at weight loss. She has been on a diet as long as I have been here and hasn't successfully lost much of anything.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #13  

That's tough.

Does she know about 3FC? I really think that the Maintainers accountability thread shows how succcessful weight loss occurs. No gimmicks, no injections, just plenty of healthy foods and exercise. Sometimes in the "Does it Work?" thread I just want to answer "If it worked, there would be some maintainers from xyz plan." And of course, there are not. I know there is a sticky in General Plans about Hcg....Super low calories are not great either. I think for me, the click was, "I have to stop abusing my body." I think overeating unhealthy foods and also starving oneself are both self-body abuse.....different ends of the spectrum perhaps, but eating enough food is just as vital as not eating too much. But I'm preaching to the choir, eh?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Midwife - I've sent her the info for 3FC, The Daily Plate, lots of articles as I run across them. She is very educated on the process, just doesn't see results so I think is looking for a quick fix. She takes hormones for endometriosis and believes that they caused the most recent weight gain. I've known people who gained weight and attributed it to the hormones from BC pills or other medicines, do they really do that? And if so, will a different type of hormone counteract that? I just don't know the answers.
ETA - wow, I hope she is eating more than 500 calories per day... She was telling me last week that she and her mom were talking about me and my maintenance for the last year, how I still bring snacks, measure, weigh & plan everything, eat a lot of salad, plan a light lunch if going out to dinner, etc. So she sees the maintenance process and knows it is doable. She also saw pics of me at my highest weight. Hm.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-17-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, if you think she's avoiding talking to you about it, it's probably because she doesn't want to talk to you about it. So, if it were me, I'd back off.... JMO

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote