Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #46  
Workin' It

Congratulations Kery! I never had any doubts that you would pass!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Congrats Kerry

Congratulations, Kerry.

What age students will you be teaching?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #48  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yay Keri!!!! Best wishes for your continued success!

Shannon in ATL: I moved away from SLC because I could not wait to get away from the stifling, narrow mentality of a church-dominated state. At least, that's what it was like when I was growing up. It's a much bigger place now--although I'm not sure to what extent the culture has changed.

WaterRat--gosh! I lived for 11 years in Mass. and I vowed the same thing! There was only one month out of the whole year that I actually liked being in Mass. I lived in Western Mass., north of Springfield. I'll bet you can guess the month.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #49  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, yes Jay, I can. I lived in Springfield for two years after college (UMass Amherst) - what town? I actually grew up in Braintree, on the South Short, and DH in Westwood.

Kery - Congrats! We never had any doubt you would pass!

DH came by work about 3:30 this afternoon to let me know that a friend of his had given us some fresh salmon. SInce I had a potluck at a friend's at 6, I left work at 4 so I could get the fish vacumm packed and in the freezer. I was suprised when I saw the cooler full of fish - probably 25-30#! Wowzer. We are set for the winter. And it was all cleaned and fileted for us - just had to pack and freeze it. Doing a happy dance here.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #50  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Thank you everyone. I wasn't so sure myself that I'd pass, but I think nobody ever is anyway, when taking a concours.

BillBlueEyes - I don't know yet. Middle school or high school, in any case, but it depends in which school I'll be sent come September.

And this morning, I phoned my parents to ask if they would agree to lend me some money... so that I can sign up at the sports center on the other side of the road. Seriously, I can't wait! That club has been nagging at me for the past two years (well, the club and its body-combat classes, that is).

Shannon - Regarding the weather: I don't want to know either. We're probably nearing the 35°C this afternoon (no wonder running at 7 am was becoming a real hassle). I'm contemplating finding shelter at the local library, because at least they have AC. (I only have the pauper's AC in my apartment -- very cold in winter and very cold in summer. )

Tammy - Hang on! You're right in wanting to stop it right now.

Allison - I think my mind has become unable to process the concept of "sleeping till 1 pm". I mean I'm *happy* when I actually manage to sleep until 8 am.

Michele - I wissh you a fun trip!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #51  
Chuggin' along...

Congratulations Kery! No one here doubted you would pass for a second! You've worked so hard, congratulations again. Let us know if you're able to join the sports center, too - how fun!

Pat, your cooler of salmon sounds absolutely wonderful! That's definitely worth going home early for.

This conversation has been making me think about what I'd do if my iPod broke down. Then I thought, of course, I'll send it to my sis & BIL. They are, um, extremely science and technically oriented (nerds! I realize I'm a dork too when I say that, but in a slightly different way.), and Apple-biased. I'd definitely check with them before I gave up. But now, I know to at least try to find a battery online first if it just died.

Off to get some coffee.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Getting ready to leave for my road trip.
I got my new iphone last night so hopefully I'll figure out how to check in while on the road! I'm even leaving my computer at home since I can check email/internet with my phone!

I took my first ever spinning class last night. Probably not the smartest thing to do right before a long drive. I am somewhat sore but not terribly, but my knee hurts. I don't usually have knee problems so I hope it goes away and doesn't worsen while I drive. I didn't know it was possible to sweat that much! Wow!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #53  
Workin' It

Good morning!

I have AC! Finally! And, it is still working 12 hours after the tech left, so things are looking better than they have in a while!

Jay - SLC would not be a good fit for me then, either. I would say it wouldn't be right for my brother, but he has become a completely different person in the last few years, so might fit right in...

Pat - your salmon does sound great!

Kery - body combat classes... interesting. I've thought about signing up at a place near here for the same reason. Enjoy!

Megan - I try not to think about my iPod dying... If it does, I might have to take it as an excuse to get an iPhone... Though, I would like to think I would also try a battery first.... unless it fell in the water or something... hmm...

Michele - enjoy your trip! Be safe!

I have exercised like a crazy person this week. Or at least it feels like it... Being home waiting for service guys several days gave me large windows of time with built up stress to work off... I guess there is an upside to the chaos of the last few weeks...

Good day everyone!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Shannon in ATL: I moved away from SLC because I could not wait to get away from the stifling, narrow mentality of a church-dominated state. At least, that's what it was like when I was growing up. It's a much bigger place now--although I'm not sure to what extent the culture has changed.

Jay, I grew up in SLC also. It was really hard. I had friends that I'd play with all the time and then suddenly I wasn't allowed in their house. It was because I had another friend who's father was an alcoholic and since I'd been in her house I guess I somehow was going to bring the alcoholism to theirs? That's the only thing I can think of. Also, once when I was working with my Dad downtown (I was 13 at the time) I was wearing my cross necklace and some old guy came in and chastised me for wearing it. Ok, so at the time I didn't quite understand that Mormon's don't put any importance on this icon, but looking back it just makes me mad. I was actually in college before I realized that there were Catholic cathedrals in town! That and the crazy liquor laws make me not want to go back, but alas, my parents and brother still live there so we do visit from time to time.

My scale is down half a pound today! My doctor didn't really get on my case too much yesterday, probably because my weight is just about the same as it was last year, but he still wants me to be in the mid 130's (and so do I!). My cold is getting better--I still have a cough but I haven't had one of my hacking episodes for over 24 hours!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #55  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Kery, congrats!!!!!

Shannon, glad the A/C is working!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #56  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon - yay for AC!

We actually had some rain last night, not enough to do anything for the lawns and gardens though. It's still very overcast and there are some very dark clouds near the mountains, so maybe we'll get some more.

My iPod is staying charged, though I haven't played it a lot today. I'd really love an iPhone myself, I just cannot justify the increased cost for the internet service (as the phone service would be about the same as I pay now), esp as I don'ts expect to be working beyond next spring. (then there's my anti-cellphone DH - he doesn't carry one at all, and would not be supportive of me upgrading to an iPhone). Several people at work have purchased their own, and the City pays them on some pro-rated basis. My phone is paid by the City, but when I leave, I think I can keep the number.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #57  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

WaterRat, I lived in Northampton, not far from Smith College. (But then, nothing is very far from Smith... I mean like across the street and next door.)

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #58  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, many hours spent in N'hamp during college - it being the closest shopping that wasn't priced for the Amherst college boys. Still have a friend living in Easthampton. Have you read Hometown by Tracy Kidder?

I've been thinking it's Friday all morning. I'll be in for a rude awakening tomorrow if I don't get my brain reprogrammed. I guess I'm really ready for the weekend.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #59  
Chuggin' along...

Where is that chicken with head cutoff icon?

Just popping in to say have a great weekend everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #60  
Workin' It

to everyone! Busy morning here so far! Wow! I did get my cardio in before work, so that is good. I'm hoping to actually keep up the getting up on time pattern next week, as I enjoyed having the workout done when I got home yesterday, and am anticipating the same enjoyment today.

Bought a bunch of fresh fruit at the grocery store last night and then went a little overboard. I got raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and dark, sweet cherries. I could stop after one of the berries, but I had eaten 15 of the cherries before I stepped away from the bag... Never thought I would binge on fresh fruit.

Five minutes ago it was raining too hard to see out my office window, with that sideways wind blowing it all over the place. Now, the sun is trying to come back out. Love the summer...

Good weekend everyone!

ETA: I was just updating my Daily Plate info and I just realized that I have exercised 6 days out of the last 7! First time in a while I've done that! Woo hoo!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 07-17-2009 at 04:43 PM.