Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default My 4 years of Maintenance

A Wendalyn update, I have 4 years of MAINTENANCE experience under my belt now & only 36 more YEARS of maintenance YET to go! Yup, that's right, I figure once I reach 80 years old, I'm gonna eat whatever the **** I wanna eat & I'm hoping I still have my chompers (teeth) then! ha ha ha Anybody else with me on that one?

For me another year of maintenance, came another reccuring sports injury also, which SUCKS! So once again I have to change things up on my exercise front, since having a tennis elbow injury puts a kabosh on my weightlifting & also my 100 pushups, not to mention no more playing competitive volleyball or fastpitch anytime soon! Grr, Grr, Grr .... this particular injuries BITES! This sucker is taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to heal. After this round of cortisone shot wears off & if I'm still in PAIN, surgery will be next for me. I hope it's NOT time for me to hang up the ole sports bra playing athletics anytime soon, however, I CANNOT continue playing with injury after injury anymore either....

I'm still holding my own & I'm still sporting all of my jeans & short shorts, so MY way is working on the food & exercise front 4 years later! I just had a weigh in & blood pressure check when I got my cortisone shot.
Weight 147, with jacket, jeans, shoes & breakfast in my tank!
Blood pressure 100/60
Dr. told me I have blood pressure of an athlete & I look the part too! ...Not too shabby for 44, eh? It was nice to hear, I left with an extra bounce to my step.

Wowsers, I have read umpteen posts about binge eating as of late, so I thought I would share this. My first 2 years of maintenance I veered off the tracks numerous times to wineville & chocolateville, but I always got myself back on track eventually. But why did I veer off time and time again? Well, it took me a few years to finally figure it out. For me- it boiled down to I was being too fricken strict with myself. Yup, true story. When I didn't allow myself sweet treats here and there, it backfired on me time and time again because I went HOG WILD on sweets. It was a vicious cycle and lemme tell ya it SUCKED! Infact Einstein said it best, INSANITY- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well duh ... something had to change.

My binges were always cycle related, yanno HORMONES from ****! My binges were always pre-menstrual binges & another binge during ovulation too. I had severe cravings for sweets (doesn't help that I have PMS-C also) & by being too strict with myself eating squeaky clean, hence came the veer offs to get my wine & dark chocolate fix (hellloooo binge bender)! By my 3rd & 4th year of maintenance I figured out I need to change things up, so I INCORPORATED my wine and chocolate & anything else I wanted (in MODERATE size portions, key word M-O-D-E-R-A-T-E) daily/weekly which keeps me on the train tracks with no need to veer off to wineville or chocolateville any longer & in doing so, it tames my inner PMS-C beast! So yeah, fricken finally, I figured out what works for ME! This is my new "SWEET SPOT" in maintenance & lemme tell ya, just how SA-W-E-E-T the past few years have been!
Of course the majority of my eats are healthy foods with the EXTRA'S thrown into the mix for SANITY SAKES! My days are way more BALANCED now since I include the EXTRA stuff that keeps me on an even keel month after month & it makes it far EASIER to continue cruising down the train track now that I changed things up & included the so called FORBIDDEN FOODS!

For me, the LESS I focus on my food, the EASIER it is for ME to maintain. Basically I eat when I am hungry and workout daily, the simplicity of doing these 2 things is enough for me & my maintenance. Most maintainers would probably cringe knowing that I am NOT a food journaler, nor am I a daily/ weekly weigher, or a strict calorie counter either, yup I'm a REBEL, I won't let food have that much control over me. I weigh in once a month if I remember & prefer to go by jeans-o-meter instead, my calorie counts are a rough guestimate at best & this works for ME! I don't let food and exercise become an obsession as I honestly don't have time for them to be. I'm far too busy, living my LIFE & busting @ss working. I'm a dbl entrepreneur and running my 2 businesses is more of a priority to me, so I think of FOOD as just FOOD and EXERCISE as just EXERCISE & they are both something I do daily to maintain my weight. When I fuel myself & get my exercise on those 2 things are good enough for ME & make my maintenance way less mental! Maintenance is NOT a one size fits ALL world, what WORKS for ME would NOT work for others, you have to figure out what works for you and as the Nike slogan states, Just Do It!

Of course I am AWARE that weight gain can happen at anytime, none of us are EXEMPT. Even though I did not have a huge amount of weight to lose in the first place & being I actually have never been OVERWEIGHT let alone OBESE, I'm pretty much a maintainer minority round here, so I mainly lurk, being I feel I am not in the BIG LOSS LEAGUE.

Anyways, I'm pushing onto year # 5 & I'm hoping for NO MORE INJURIES this year!

~ Wendalyn

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 03-24-2011 at 06:23 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing the information.

I totally agree with you that maintenance is not a one-size-fits-all deal. That's why I like reading the maintainers forum to get ideas and see what works for some and what doesn't.

It gives me information to process and figure out what will work for me when I get there.

Oh and 36 years from now I would think dentistry would be so advanced that if you don't have your own chompers you could certainly get a new shiny set!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Congratulations Wendalyn! I loved reading your story. I hope I'm able to be more like you at my four year mark. And I'm totally in with you - when I hit 80 I'm eating everything I want!

You rock!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Wendalyn, congrats!!!! I feel you on the sports injury, I'm stuck with two of them right now myself and it's really cramping my style. I hope it resolves soon! And I highly recommend soft tissue massage for tennis elbow. Put some lotion on your arm, then take a pen or something else that is smooth and straight and rub it up and down (up = toward your shoulder, down = toward your hand, the pen should be aimed left to right) over the irritated area. Don't push too hard. It will usually feel a little crunchy and turn bright red, but if you keep doing it the crunchiness and redness go down.

Of course I'm not a doctor so take that with a grain of salt (or a bucket of salt, as you please)!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Wendalynn! Congratulations! I like your style!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Great post!

I am one of those binge posters and what you said really resonated with me. I also think part of my problem is being too strict, but I'm pretty afraid to be too moderate...so I'm working on it and doing pretty good lately. I'm afraid my issue may run a little deeper then just being to strict so I'm working on that too, but I think that being too strict has a lot more to do with it than I want to admit and that calorie counting maybe just isn't for me anymore. So I'm experimenting with that concept on the weekends and we'll see where it takes me.

Congratulations on your huge achievment!

Last edited by ncuneo; 03-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations Wendalyn! When I grow up, I wanna be just like you! Oh wait, I'm older than you already....shhhh don't tell!

Thanks for your insight on the binge monster. Sometimes I think I have it in control, but then it rears it's ugly head on me. (basically the same lunar cycle as you...lol) I'll try the moderation thing one more time. Maybe it'll work for me too this time. Anyway chickie, I'm proud of you.

I hope your injuries heal quickly so you can get back to pumpin iron.

Congrats again.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

evilwoman. I'm using you as one of my role models. I'm at your year 2 right now and looking forward to progressing and being just like you at year 4. I would love to be able to put chocolate and wine back into my plan in moderate amounts.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #9  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Friendlykat4u, Thanks your right, I'm sure dentistry will have advances by then, but I don't have a cavity in my mouth, so I'm pretty sure I will still have my chompers to get my EAT on at 80!

Shannon, Thanks girlfriend, awe that was nice saying I rock & its nice to know you will join me on the 80 thang! Woo hoo a convert!

Paperclippy, Thank you Dr. Jessica, I will try the magic wand aka pen/lotion & see if I can POOF away the pain! Sorry to hear your injured too, that sucks. It's **** getting older huh? As for taking it with salt, nah I will pass, yanno SALT is a water retainer for MOI

Jay, thanks chickie glad you dig my style! Ya, I've been told I am quite stylish!

Ncuneo, thanks & I hope you find your maintenance groove and can let go of some of the mindful madness oneday yourself.

Lori Bell, Thanks, I loved the luna line! Wowsers, You wanna be ME when you grow up, AWE JEEZE, thanks. Coming from you LB, Iza blushing, wow again! By the way I LOVE your new Avatar- very shnexy my older & wiser peer! Yeah my iron pumpin, I miss it a lot! I feel that my pipes will dissipate some, grrr... But no worries I still look like I can give a punch & I certainly can take one too!

Dagmar, thanks! who me a role model? Heck ya, I think LIFE is too damn short to go without wine & dark chocolate, $hit for only a few hundred calories, they are worth it to ME for sanity sakes instead of sticking to celery & carrots all the time, I need a bit of PIZZAZZE periodically! My favorite dark chocolate is lindt dark by excellence infused with chili peppers, it's not really all that HOT, but it is da bomb digity! I also eat daily a good sprinkle of raw cacao nibs, I toss them into my dry oats & greek yogurt & fruit daily, they are AMAZING & full of fiber too! I LOVE them!!!!! I prefer to drink my wine, rather than WHINE! Wine CHILLAXES me and both have antioxidants good for the ticker too!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations Wendalyn! You are rockin' it! I'm right there with you on the moderation highway. Oops! sometimes I veer into the other lane but I usually get back on track pretty quickly.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
A Wendalyn update, I have 4 years of MAINTENANCE experience under my belt now & only 36 more YEARS of maintenance YET to go! Yup, that's right, I figure once I reach 80 years old, I'm gonna eat whatever the **** I wanna eat & I'm hoping I still have my chompers (teeth) then! ha ha ha Anybody else with me on that one?
Yep! When I gave up eating candy completely in April 2005, I promised myself that I wasn't giving it up forever, just until I'm 80 (2040).
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #12  
Workin' It

Wendalyn, you have been one of my go-to role models during my maintenance craziness, too. You remind me how to stay sane during the crazy, and that it is possible to keep it up every day. I don't know if it would ever have clicked for me about the Splenda if it hadn't been for you, I eat a baked sweet potato with peanut butter as my evening snack a lot, and now I'm going to look for raw cocoa nibs to put in my yogurt! And I love that Lindt dark chocolate bar w/ chili. Love it.

You do so much more than rock. Thanks.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations, Wendalyn, for hitting a BIG FOUR years at maintenance weight.

I'm a big believer in doing the what-works-for-me plan; glad you've got yours.

May the next 36 be serene.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Thanks Wendalyn. Great post. Congrats on the cool milestone.
I always get a kick out of your siggie
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Basically I eat when I am hungry and workout daily, the simplicity of doing these 2 things is enough for me & my maintenance. Most maintainers would probably cringe knowing that I am NOT a food journaler, nor am I a daily/ weekly weigher, or a strict calorie counter either, yup I'm a REBEL, I won't let food have that much control over me. I weigh in once a month if I remember & prefer to go by jeans-o-meter instead, my calorie counts are a rough guestimate at best & this works for ME! I don't let food and exercise become an obsession as I honestly don't have time for them to be. I'm far too busy, living my LIFE & busting @ss working. I'm a dbl entrepreneur and running my 2 businesses is more of a priority to me, so I think of FOOD as just FOOD and EXERCISE as just EXERCISE & they are both something I do daily to maintain my weight. When I fuel myself & get my exercise on those 2 things are good enough for ME & make my maintenance way less mental!
Nah, I'm not appalled; I'm with you on this one. Or trying to be, because it seems like the less I think, and the more I follow automatic behaviors, the more self-assured I'm going to feel about having actually made a lasting lifestyle change.

I don't journal my food, and I don't count calories.

But I still weigh myself once a week. And I am pretty fixated on getting to the gym once a day -- but once I'm out of the gym, I'm okay until the next day. It's done. I've got other things to think about.

It's really good to hear from people with these updates & to know it's working for someone.

BTW I forgot if I ever told you this but your username here is one of the Top Five Best Ever. (I do hear the Electric Light Orchestra whenever I see it, though.)

Last edited by saef; 03-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote