Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #151  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Silverbirch, oh, those hot pants. Thank goodness the tights are being worn. It's odd what gets revived.

My 70s clothes are of the modest variety, nice slacks, walking shorts, and such. The paisley prints of the late 60s were attractive then. Mine are long gone. I wish I had some of the dresses my grandmother wore in the 30s, with the covered buttons and matching belts, the tiny prints. Oh well, one of these days we might have time travel and we can all dress however we'd like.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-09-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: corrected typing error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #152  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

So yesterday, I was out, and as usual, I was bloody cold, and I happened by a sportswear shop which was selling their fleece sweatshirts very cheaply. I went in, and the salesclerk asked me if I needed help, and I said I'd like one of the fleece shirts, but had no idea which size to try, since I'd never shopped there, so perhaps she could give me some idea?

She said, "Probably a medium," pulled one from the rack, and when I looked at that TINY shirt, I said, "er, I think I'd probably better start with a large, to be honest."

Her: "Oh my, no, you're very tall, but you're not at all big. I'm only saying medium, because you'll need the extra length. I'm sure the small would be big enough around, but it'd probably be too short."

She was right. I had plenty of room in the medium, bordering on too much, but as I'll probably wear something else under it, and fleecy sweatshirts are SO not the kind of thing I wear for any reason other than to stave off hypothermia, I went with it. I still can't get over that "you're not at all big," comment. Totally made my day.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #153  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Catherine, don't you just love it? It feels great when others make mention of your size in passing and not in the form of a compliment or question, especially when it's someone who knows sizes. It's just who you are--a medium/small woman!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #154  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Catherine, it is an odd feeling, but nice, I agree. I'm glad you had another one of those experiences.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I had a little NSV today that I wanted to share. It sort of is related to weight, but not the scale, I guess.

I bought a little step stool for our new kitty to use and I figured I could use it for little things around the house, too. Well when I was looking at it at home, I saw there was a sign on the side of it that read, "weight limit 150lbs." For some reason, this just thrilled me SO much. I could never imagine a year go I'd be under 150 when at this time last year I was over 250.

Anyway, it's silly because I have so many NSVs everyday, mostly things that pertain to being able to do things that I couldn't do last year; I can walk up the same flight of stairs at my school that I used to dread (and avoid), I can buy cute sweaters I would have never worn before, but somehow, this little weight limit thing just tickled me lol!

Thanks for being here to share with, no one else in the world would get it!

Last edited by jkinboston89; 09-13-2010 at 07:39 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #156  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Today, I gave blood. They were giving away t-shirts with donation.

They didn't have any shirts SMALL enough - all giant tents. They had to get a Small out of the back!

I also get a nice little NSV every time I donate. Before, it would take many pricks to find my veins...they were buried under fat. Now I'm so easy to poke, all the phlebotomists love me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 211/130/140

Height: 5'-8"

Last night our realtor popped by the boy and I's new house to drop off a housewarming gift. It was a lovely gift basket from our local gourmet fine food shop.

My first thought was "Ooh gourmet coffee!", my next was "Wait a minute, I don't much enjoy the majority of the treats in this basket, and all I really want is the coffee."

The boy and I looked it over, disgestive biscuits, wafers, dark chocolate, preserves. Not my favourite indulgences, nor his.

We made a decision to save it and re-gift for this Christmas
Cally Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 276/270/160

Height: 5'4

These are so awesome. I can't wait till I can join you guys!
onherweighdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #159  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

This is so inspiring!! Love this post - and love that I have something to add.

I have my 1st business trip since April. I leave tonight - only for 2 nights, but my office locally is casual & the office I'm visiting is business casual. I reached my goal weight in June, and the summer clothes I bought for my last trip are neither weather appropriate nor size appropriate .

I DREADED shopping. Actually, I put it off as long as I could. With ever pair of pants that I tried on, I just kept waiting for that old familiar experience - too tight, shows all my "lumps & bumps", can't shop in "normal" sizes, etc. I totally expected to be bummed out.

I have been wearing size 10s (which for me, is AMAZING - I haven't worn this size...well, ever in my adult life). Expected none of them to fit. Turns out I was right - because they were TOO BIG!!! I bought all size 8 pants in regular brands (Jones NY, Anne Klein, Alfani, etc.) and size small sweaters. WHAT?!?!?!? Who me??? I love Jillian Michaels .

I am rockin' a new size small sweater right now...with a new pair of skinny Lucky brand jeans (size 10, but I don't care...I OWN and fit into some size 8s!!!).

I'm still in shock. I hope I don't become a shopoholic .
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #160  
No description available.

Congrats, Cheryl!

So I have a funny one. As you all know, it is election season. And people litter--I mean set up their political signs--along some of my running routes. And sometimes the signs get torn away and the wire holders get bent or dislodged and lie on the ground. And sometimes if you accidently step on an edge of such a wire, it springs up and pokes you. So I usually curse and have to be extra cautious when it is election season.

So I thought yesterday "Here we go again" when I saw all the signs. But then I realized that having this pattern, this awareness, this "it's this time of the year again" shows that I've been a committed runner for years now. So it's kind of cool. Still hate the signs though!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #161  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I didn't know this thread existed! I read through this page only (11) and I have the day off tomorrow so I'm going to have to pore through this.

What a great idea!

Off the top of my head, the most recent one is when I bought new jeans. Believe it or not, after over 45 lbs lost I hadn't gone jean shopping.

I knew I was a 13+ before, and the sizes were in inches instead.

I grabbed a 33 and a girl came over to help me, stating that was way too big or me. I though it was too small but it was the biggest I saw! (I guess I'm used to looking for the biggest they have and hoping that fits)

I ended up wanting to buy a 31 (which she explained was about a size 10 and google comfirmed this), but she convinced me to go lower.

I'm at home sitting in my 29's and realizing they ARE a little loose! Which is about a 8! Whee!

I really have to go through this thread tomorrow!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #162  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

So I took the time to read everyone's inspiring NSV's and I thought I'd post some of my own, other than the jeans one I already mentioned.

-I can buy boots now, my calves fit into them, with room to spare!

-When Dylan asked me to marry him in March, I picked out a wedding dress that I liked (didn't purchase though). We've decided to push up our wedding to early next year and I've just realized I need to pick a whole new dress, that was a plus sized one!

-My fiance admitted to me a few nights ago that while we were walking across the street and I was a little ahead, he actually checked me out and thought 'Mmmm, I'm with her!'

-A guy at work lifted his laptop bag and kinda grunted because it was heavy (he has a OLD huge laptop). He asked me to hold it and it was nothing for me, so he challenged me to do some bicep curls with it and he gave up counting when realizing my strength

-My friends want my help with weight loss and tell me I inspire them!

-Random people notice, I even had a guy come up to me at work (who I haven't seen in about a year, there's about 600 of us and I sat with him when I was new for a day), he asked if I had been going to the gym, I said I had, and he said 'it really shows'

I just need to learn how to deal with compliments, it's a odd thing for me still. I'm not sure what kind of attention people are trying to give me, and my fiance admits he gets a little jealous now about other guys because of the way I look

It felt good to type that up. I feel good.

Thank you all!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 144/122.4/healthy for life

Height: 5' 7.5"

Adding to the chorus of wonderful NSVs here. . .
1. Went shopping with my sisters over fall break and actually ENJOYED trying on pants--I got to buy a size 4!!!!!! SO much better than a 10!
2. I went for a run yesterday, and told myself just to jog at what was comfortable for me--and when I calculated my time and distance when I got back, I was running under 9 minutes/mile quite comfortably! I used to HATE jogging at 10minutes/mile. SO much better now!
oneoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

My coolest NSV:

My great-grandmother knitted my (tiny) great aunt clothes back in the 40's and my mom still had them around. She brought them over last weekend and all of them fit! (some were too short, but that's just because I'm freakishly tall)

I couldn't have even got some of these clothes over my head back in my former life. So now I've got this whole new wardrobe of hand-made vintage clothes that have been handed down through my family for 3 generations!

So cool!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #165  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I had a major NSV today that nobody but you guys would understand (and doesn't really fall under the "why it's worth it" header).

I came in to work, sat down at my desk, and when through email and such (like checking 3fc ). Then I got up to put my lunch in the fridge and get some hot water for my tea. I came back to my desk and realized the open bag of fun-sized Almond Joy bars that someone had put on the table next to my desk Friday was still there.

Guys, I sat three feet away from an open bag of Almond Joy for an HOUR without even noticing it was there. Then when I noticed it, all I thought was, "Oh, that's still there?" followed by "OMG, I didn't even notice it! Yay me!"

I am sitting a few feet from an open bag of candy bars and I have NO DESIRE to eat them. None.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote