Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #16  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good luck, Megan. Do you have 1982 in your name because that's the year you were born? I have been meaning to ask you because that's the year I graduated from high school. And yes, it's an indoor swim party - no polar bears here. My suit kind of disintegrated at the end of last summer so I went shopping for a new one today. I was dreading it, but I ended up with not one but two and it didn't hurt a bit. Hooray for working out and eating right. Scale be damned!

Shannon, that sounds awful. Hang in there.

Jessica, I am thinking about doing a triathlon this summer. When is yours again? And are those the actual distances you will do?

Hi Anne Charlotte! And anyone else I missed.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #17  
No description available.

Hope the interview went well, Megan!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- hope the interview went well!!!
Positive vibes.....

My tattoo-- nothing is 100% decided, but I'm planning on my shoulder/back (more on the back) and to have three interlocking hearts to signify my dh and my 2 dd's. I want to have some color-- thinking I will use each of their favorite colors in the hearts-- and possibly some greenery or flowers around but I still need to talk to the artist. I have sketched out the basic heart design and then I plan on going to see him to see what he thinks. It won't be huge but maybe 4-5 inches at the biggest part.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Are self-confidence and staying OP related?

Kery "My bank account is weeping" - that is truly a classic and a keeper!

I am doing a lot of "Dog Whisperer" type training with the dogs and it's really working ! Good thing their "parents" aren't watching though - I'm treating them like actual dogs, rather than kids in furry suits.

It's all about confidence. Kinda like what we all are doing with our bodies yes? I always feel so much more confident when I've had a couple of OP days.

How about everyone else?

Have a good night all. I have a snuggle date with a couple fo cats (one, you can guess which, is calling me repeatedly and more loudly each time).

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

Megan, belated thoughts on a good interview.

Jessica, walking or run/walking the "run" in a tri is a time-honored tradition. Train hard, but when you race, don't sweat it!

to everyone!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #21  
Chuggin' along...

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts! I think it went well, but I doubt it changed my boss's ideas about who she wants for the position. Funny thing - my other co-worker who got an interview and I got together afterwards. A comment I made to my boss during my interview, she repeated back to my co-worker almost word-for-word in her interview. Ha.

I'm glad I'll be out in the field for the next several days. It will keep my mind occupied with other things.

Dagmar, aww, snuggle date! How sweet.

Wardhog, umm, yes, 82 is my birth year.

Off to the field. Have a wonderful day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan - that sucks that your new boss was a jerk about hiring for her old position. I hope you get the job though! My triathlon is April 19. I'm planning a few more practices of doing two of the events together but probably not all three. About a month ago I did a practice of all three events going half the distance of the triathlon and I did okay with that one.

Ward - LOL, I was born in 1982 too! My triathlon is April 19 and the actual distances are 400m swim, 10 miles bike, and 5k run. I can do each of them separately, and I can do swim + run or swim + bike, I just can't do the bike + run yet.

Dagmar - we try to do dog whisperer-type stuff with our dog, but sometimes he just doesn't get it! Our dog is such a sneak. We put tin foil across the couch when we leave him alone to stop him from going up, but the other night we came home and he had taken the foil off the couch and then hopped up for a nap! What a sneaky dog!

Anne - thanks, I know it's okay for me to walk the "run," but I really want to run it! I kind of wish it was a duathlon instead, where the events were swimming and running. I don't really like biking all that much!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had to scan a magazine article for a client and I posted it on my Photobucket. In case any of you are interested in seeing the kind of work we do: San Diego Home/Garden Jan 2009 and another article from Architectural Digest on the same home.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #24  
Workin' It

Allison - that is cool!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wardhog, don't you hate those disintegrating suits? Especially when you swim a lot and don't notice how thin it gets. I started buying the $65 suits, but one lasted four years before the lining gave out so I felt good about the "investment."

Michele, the tattoo sounds wonderful--looking forward to seeing a picture. If the tattoo person sketches it out for you, please post it.

Dagmar, have fun on with your snuggy companions! Mine is on my lap as I type.

Megan, glad the interview went well, and even though you don't sound positive about getting the job, maybe something will change?

Jessica, if you figure out a way to keep your dog off the couch, let me know. We took in a dog on Saturday, and she's gotten on the couch a few times already, which isn't okay. I piled a bunch of stuff on the couch, but then i have to remove it to sit there. Besides being stinky (I've got to take her to the dog wash this week--I thought I'd give her a chance to settle in before I do that because she's kind of skittish), I just don't want dogs on my new furniture.

Allison, very cool!

Having a lot of trouble with food lately. I finally got below my red line, then proceeded to go right over it again. My head needs an adjustment. At least I'm exercising, and now I walk the dog several times a day so that might help. If I could just keep stuff out of my mouth, that would be even better!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #26  

Hey all!
Sounds like good things are happening for many here....some who have exciting possibilities for job changes (be positive, some who find wonderful possibilitilities (an ipod? Wow!), and others who are finding out positive things about themselves or are being reminded of positive things about themselves (can you imagine doing a triathalon at your larger weight?!) Trying to look at all the positive things when it comes to weight management!
We're only part way into the week, but I thought I'd give an update as it looks like my weight is finally going down. I promised myself last Saturday that I would list not only what I am eating (measuring, etc) but also how many calories each item has. WOW! What an eye opener for me! I can't believe the amount of calories I can eat and still be maintaining and possibly losing. I never kept track of calories before. With this insight, I can see places I can trim calories and make changes. I'm not ready to do that just yet (though I have already started cutting back on my eating program in the way I was taught--said good bye to one starch and one fat each day so far). In the past 4 days, my weight has gone down a bit over 3 lbs woo! hoo! I wonder if it's because I quit trying to run intervals. I tried to do the couch to 5K thing and found that my right knee just won't take it. I never knew I was having trouble, but I must have been running wrong because I now can only run about 15 seconds before it starts throbbing. So much for running! I've traded the running for incline fast walking. 6% might not be much on an incline, but I am sweating, sweating, sweating when I hit it at about 3.7, so I think it's helping.
An idea perhaps for others: About 2 weeks ago, I started a gratitude journal of sorts. I was, and somedays still am, in a pretty negative place as I try to battle the 7 lbs back away. I wanted to remind myself of all I've done and all am doing. The inside page is taken from Biggest Loser and simply asks "What have you done today to make you feel proud?" Tonight, one of my entries will be that I stayed away from the gumdrops in my van that are SHOUTING my name loud and clear. Second, I also passed up birthday kringle at work. Boy! That way tough! I really like pastry. One of my work "friends" even gave me crap about passing it up. "Come on! It's a special day!" Seems like that's almost every day where I work. Somebody comes in with something! UGH! As I walked away, sorry, I must admit that under my breath, I told my friend SHE would do better to pass it up as well. That's nasty, but I hate being pushed about my choices. It's tough to keep giving up what you really like. Granted, I could have had that darn kringle if I really wanted it. Truly, I'd rather have a piece of chocolate or a bunch of grapes than the pastry. Such strange changes in my choices!
So, here's an assignment for you each: What have YOU done to make you feel proud today? Pump it up, ladies and gents!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #27  

Hi maintainers,

Kery - wow about the ipod!
Megan - I hope the job interview went well!

Goal - that is a good idea about the gratitude journal. I habitually try to name 3 good things of the day past & 3 good things of the day to come every morning, & I think it helps to put things into perspective. It is easy to stay in a negative place. One good thing for today for me: I am sticking with BFL for 1 month now and even though I have not lost weight, I feel better and my clothes are looser. I am actually loooking forward to my 25 mins lifting or wogging every morning as I get up. That is an incredible accomplishemnt for me, and I could not have imagined it in the past.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #28  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

I'm proud of running 10 km (6.2 miles) at the gym yesterday and for sticking to my meal plan! Also: 26 days without sugar/sweets. Yay!

A gratitude book is a really good idea. I often try to think of good things that have happened during the day, evern though I don't write it down. Just focusing on positive things give a real boost.

Already looking forward to the strength training session this evening! I've been extremely bored with strength training for the past.. year. Finally found a program that I liked and that was fun and inspiring so now I'm raring to go! I also look forward to finally to do some pull-ups and dips again, now that I discovered that they have installed an assisted dip/chin machine at the gym.

Time for more tea now!

/Ann-Charlotte

Last edited by silvernight; 02-25-2009 at 03:31 AM.
silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Allison Do you fabricate according to a designer/architect specs or do you design the windows yourselves? And do you install as well or subcontract?

They are things of beauty! I have never lived in a house wiht big windows and but have always wanted to, provided there was something to look at outside.

There is a house in Arizona (I think), which I saw in a magazine, that has floor-to-ceiling windows in the master bedroom facing a breathtaking view of desert and mountains. Whenever I feel depressed/upset/etc. I try to picture myself waking up to that view every morning.

You must be very proud of helping create such beautiful structures.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #30  
No description available.

Stunning, Allison. Wow!!!

Goal, I love all your thoughts. Let's see: I wrote out a food plan and will work out today, cause just cause I messed up foodwise yesterday doesn't mean I am a lost cause.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote