Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Meg, someone was on my elliptical this morning so I know what you mean. Did your cats eat the needles? Mine enjoys her greenery, but then regurgitates it in odd places around the house. I'm so glad the tree is out.

Wardhog, hopefully the gym wasn't too bad and that you got your much-needed quiet time.

Dagmar, I like the idea of focusing on the mind. The mind plays a huge part in weight loss, IMHO. Count me as one who can't get enough of your dog stories!

Jessica, hope you have a good run.

Shannon, I'll take rain and 61 over snow and 20s any day.

Megan, isn't it amazing how little time it takes to get out of shape? After putting on about 10 lbs., I'm still noticing a difference in my heartrate, and I'm not liking it. While I'd actually love to be a solid 8, if you've been a 6, it must be a little discouraging. You'll have to post photos once you find that perfect dress.

Oh, my, I was hoping to respond to everyone's lovely posts, but there are so many. I can't even imagine if everyone who was a maintainer posted at the maintainers.

Speaking of maintainers, has anyone heard from Barbara or Susan? I don't recall seeing them here for a while.

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, but I had three meetings, starting at 8:30 am. Nobody should have to be up and at a meeting by 8:30 am. Then another meeting at noon and another at 1:30 pm. Whew! After the 1:30 meeting, which lasted three hours, we went to finally see my granddaughter open presents. Her Dad went a little nuts with gifts. I got to open all the gifts for her while Dad took photos, and I was exhausted after all that unwrapping. She always gets a little startled at new toys, but this time it didn't take her too long to get warmed up to them.

It's a snowy Monday here. Have a good one, everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I attended a wedding a few weeks back and wore black pants because I had no dresses that fit. I was one of two people wearing pants and one of two people wearing black. I think a black cocktail dress is fine if it is a dressy wedding, but this one was outdoors so everyone wore flowery stuff.
I want to live where you live. Had I attended an outdoor wedding a few weeks ago here I would have been stylishly attired in a snowmobile suit, big gummy winter boots, and humongous mittens
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #18  

Jessica Sounds like your dog's toenail is infected. The teeth baring is probably because it's painful when you handle it. It would be good to try to touch the pad of that foot and see if it feels hotter than the other pads. That also indicates infection.

The dog will need antibiotics and a collar to stop the licking. The toe has to be kept dry to heal. If the vet had cauterized the nail properly when it was cut there should have been no infection. I believe it is their fault but it's a hard thing to prove.

Dagmar
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #19  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! Thread is busy already this week!

I am trying to be ultra good this week, Friday morning I leave for 4 days to New Orleans! I don't even know if I can find a piece of lettuce there LOL. I really need this mini vacation, too.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

New Orleans will be tricky to stay OP!
I haven't been back since before Katrina. I would love to hear how it is now. Good luck there!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

Wow, busy thread today....

Meg - it's way up to -11F today - but with winds of up to 30 mph - lots of drifting going on.

Dagmar - I'm with you on dressing for an outdoor wedding this time of year.

Hard to be back at work for a full week! ANd I have my home office packed up so we can redo the carpeting. The computer is still hooked up, but not for much longer, and since we have to move all the modems, etc. I can't even use my laptop - and it's not worth going out in the evening to do that! I just hope the job goes quickly and painlessly! Of course, then we'll swap and do the other room downstairs - my sewing and crafts room. Groan, it has way more stuff in it including 3 floor to ceiling bookcases, none of which can be moved without completely emptying it. But that room does not have carpet now, just an area rug, so it'll be easier than office which has wall-to-wall that needs to come up. (Gosh, I feel like I'm channeling Lily with all this home renovation stuff. )

My "official" after the holidays weigh-in is tonight at the gym. I've been spot checking, so I think I'll be the same or 1-2 lbs under where I started. Hopefully there will not be too much competition for the ellipticals.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #22  

Thumbs up The brain work begins

In keeping with my mind improvement plan this year I'm getting my "History of the Western World" and "Reasoning and Argument" lecture DVD's today. Less junk TV!

And I think the only way I'll get DH even remotely back on track with his diet is to go for a #&*@ walk with him 3 times a week. I'm hoping the little walk will make him feel so much better and more alert that he'll start wanting to continue on after I come back home. I'm good for around the block in the evening (after 6 hours out in the cold lugging the dogs I'm good for the couch but this MUST BE DONE!!).

Have a great Tuesday all!

Dagmar (walking the biggest dog )
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #23  
Meg

Poor doggie, Jessica! It kills me when one of the cats is sick or in pain, so I can imagine it's hurting you too. Hope he gets better soon.

Dagmar, those "big dogs" are the worst, aren't they? Mine's completely untrainable.

I'm back from the gym and craving protein like crazy! I think the harder I work out, the more protein my body wants. So I cooked some turkey bacon to go with my egg whites and oatmeal ...

Another random gym observation: to the large chested woman on the crosstrainer today -- please, please wear a bra! Even though your Tshirt was big and baggy, it was painfully obvious that you didn't have a bra on (not a sports bra, not anything!). When your boobs normally hang at waist level and you build up some speed doing cardio, it is truly painful to watch what's going on under your Tshirt.

And ... you know you're not working hard enough when you can read the morning paper while doing the leg press.

Our forecast is for snow changing to freezing rain, so I can get to work and home without too much trouble. At least we don't have Pat's temperatures!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I can't keep up with this thread! Hi to everyone!

I took the dog to the vet yesterday afternoon. They couldn't get a good look at his toe (even with a muzzle on and giving him peanut butter), but I described it pretty well for them and they said it is probably infected. They gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and a prescription for antibiotics, and sent him home with an E-collar. The poor dog! (Picture attached.)

Meg, you're right, it hurts so much to see your pets suffering. He kept bonking into everything because of the giant cone collar, and stood around whining and moaning for about three hours straight after we got home, trying to convince me to take the collar off of him. Eventually he laid down and I thought we were past it and he had accepted it. Then he got up, tried to turn around on his dog bed, but he couldn't because he whacked his cone into the wall. He looked so upset, sat down, and started crying! Oh my poor doggie!

I stayed strong though and didn't take off the collar. He was much better this morning (he seems to have figured out that he has to wait until the door is wide open to get outside, at least!). We coat his antibiotics in peanut butter and he licks them up with no problem. He's supposed to have the E-collar on for five days, then we can try taking it off and see if he's still licking.

In other news, I missed my run last night. I know, I said I would do it! But, while I didn't do my run, I *did* still get exercise with Total Body Sculpt with Gilad, and my butt is majorly sore this morning. I stopped taking one of my prescriptions (with doctor's approval), and it is giving me bizarre withdrawal symptoms, the worst of which is something called "brain zaps" which is like a millisecond of vertigo and ringing in my ears every time I move my eyes or my head. I didn't feel like it was safe for me to go running with that going on. I'm hoping it goes away in a few days!

Dagmar - I watching educational TV. My parents think I'm nuts.

Meg - Wow, I am quite large-chested, and I can't imaging trying to work out without a bra. Or even with a normal bra. I buy special extra-strength exercise bra to keep the girls bounce-free!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-05-09_1551.jpg (14.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by paperclippy; 01-06-2009 at 08:55 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #25  
No description available.

Holy cow, Meg! Reading the paper while doing the leg press?? When I do the leg press, I feel like I am giving birth. I don't make birth sounds, but I am pushing myself really hard! Of course, that might be why my quads are looking so damn fine these days!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #26  
Meg

Midwife! At least you don't add sound effects. We have a really ripped woman trainer at our gym who works out very intensely, while wearing headphones. Which means that she can't hear the sounds that she makes, but everyone else can. Shall we say it sounds like ... Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally? It's all you can do to keep from giggling.

Poor puppy, Jessica! What a sad photo. But hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. They always seem to forgive us as soon as we take the collars off, thank goodness!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #27  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone!

Wow Meg, I just got a visual of that woman on the crosstrainer you were describing and now I can't get it out of my head! That is funny about the paper on the leg press... I went for a run on Sunday and there was a woman that I passed several times who was walking slowly and talking on her cell phone. Every time I passed her I could hear her tell someone how hard she was working out.

Shelia - I'll definitely keep my rainy 61 degrees over snow! I just have to decide now if I'm going to run in the rain or wait it out. Snow would be an entirely different story for me - I would want to wait out the entire winter!

Dagmar - I'm supposed to go to a wedding this Sunday that is planned for outdoors. Right now it is looking like it isn't going to rain. I'll probably need long sleeves, but no snowsuit. I'm thinking I'm about to have to start walking at night with my DH also - I'm trying to get him home early a few nights per week so we can go to the park. I can run while he walks on the same track I think.

Lori - have a great time in NOLA! I used to love it there, but I also haven't been back since before Katrina.

Pat - You sound like you have your hands full with the renovations! I still haven't had the energy to put the regular items back on the mantel after taking down Christmas decorations. There is no way I could dive into a major project now. Wow! And, hope the weigh-in goes well!

Jessica - your poor doggie! I'm glad that they are taking care of him.

I'm a little fuzzy this morning. I didn't exercise when I got up, I opted to sleep late instead. We had my stepson (almost four years old) three of the last five nights and he still gets up and wakes us up several time during the night. So, last night was the first night in almost a week that I fell asleep and stayed asleep the majority of the night. I just wasn't ready to get up and move around when the alarm went off... I had planned to run this afternoon, but it is likely to still be raining so might have to scratch that. If I do, I'll go home and do something there.

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #28  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Meg - I can't even imagine exercising without a jog bra on, let alone none at all and I'm only a C cup! I found the best exercise bra at KMart by BestForm that is for hi-impact activity, and it features "double bounce control" I actually love it!

We are expecting more snow and ice here tonight through tomorrow. Sigh.... Maybe I'll check out housing prices in New Orleans this weekend!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica,
Hope your fur baby starts feeling better. They are so funny with the cones on. I couldn't help but laugh when I have seen one on mine!

I wimped out on the gym last night. Last remnants of the stomach flu and my calf muscle still hurts-- those were my excuses anyway. No excuses today-- no way... scale still 2 pounds higher than I like to see it and it isn't going anywhere if I skip the gym!

I always wear a bra to the gym and since losing weight I barely even need one! I can't imagine-- gross!!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While I can exercise without a full-on sport bra (just the built-in one in some Nike shirts), I certainly PREFER to wear a sport bra! All that bouncing hurts! Now if they only made bras for bouncy butts!

I had a totally OP day yesterday! I resisted the office candy jar all day! That in itself is a major improvement. I've upped my exercise from 2 miles to 3 miles (an additional 15 minutes on the treadmill doing a cross training circuit). I've been writing down my food plan, with calories, and adding it up at the end of the day. I even remember to add the additional calories from my fish oil and Benefiber that I put in my morning coffee. All that and I'm still coming in well under 1400 per day. I hope, hope, hope to see a decrease in weight by the end of the week.

Jessica~keep us informed on how your doggie is doing!!

Shannon~funny thing about sleeping in--I think that was the root of all my problems last weekend. Four days of sleeping an additional 2-3 hours all caught up to me. That and not exercising. I think my body was telling me that it didn't need the extra sleep even though I felt really tired all day Sunday. I got up at 4 AM Monday and Tuesday and did my treadmill and have felt great since!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote