Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I think excess protein and insufficient calcium contribute to osteoporosis more then lack of weight training.
Not sure about the excess protein issues, but I do know that weight bearing exercise is important as is calcium and, in newer studies, vitamin D. My granddaughter, who is eight, doesn't walk, and she is at a greater risk for osteoporosis even at her age, according to her doctors, because of the fact that she does no weight bearing exercise. My son thought she was safe because her nourishment is in the form of Pediasure, which has a lot of calcium, but her doctors said no. Now, that's an extreme case to be sure, but certainly hits home the fact for me that weight-bearing exercise is important whether it be weight training or another form. The college town I recently moved from had an ongoing study that indicated that jumping was the best form of exercise for keeping your bones healthy. Not so good for the knees, however.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #47  
Working My Way Back Down

Sheila - we have a friend in his early 60's who has been paralyzed from the waist down for about 20 years. For awhile after his accident he walked with leg braces and crutches, but eventually began using his wheelchair all the time. No one was concerned about weight-bearing then. As he got older he was diagnosed with osteoporosis, and has since had both legs amputated as they would break without him realizing - since he couldn't feel them - and then get infected. His wife is a nurse, too. By the time they were aware he should have been making an effort to at least stand, and preferably walk some, it was too late.

My doctor has me taking an additional 2,000 units of Vitamin D after seeing the newer studies. Alaskans have a much higher incidence of Vitamin D deficiency due to our deficiency of daylight in the winter.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I know this is a bit OT, but I can't help myself. Once again, I've read a lot of this and this is what I feel is right for me. I'm not asking anyone to change their diets based on what I think, I'm just throwing this out there. An article about the protein link to osteoporosis.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1

It's interesting to note that countries with low protein consumption and lower calcium consumption levels, don't have the high percentages of osteoporosis. The country with the highest rates is Greenland I believe; their diet is made mostly of protein and fat.

Also, isn't walking a form of weight bearing exercise? I know it's not weight lifting, but your body is bearing the weight of itself.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-17-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #49  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Zenor - I believe the research indicates that animal protein leeches calcium from your bones while plant based calcium doesn't. Countries with low dairy consumption (and animal protein consumption) do have lower rates of osteoporosis than countries that have a high dairy consumption.

Personally I think weight training is awesome exercise and everyone should do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I know this is a bit OT, but I can't help myself. Once again, I've read a lot of this and this is what I feel is right for me. I'm not asking anyone to change their diets based on what I think, I'm just throwing this out there. An article about the protein link to osteoporosis.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1

It's interesting to note that countries with low protein consumption and lower calcium consumption levels, don't have the high percentages of osteoporosis. The country with the highest rates is Greenland I believe; their diet is made mostly of protein and fat.

Also, isn't walking a form of weight bearing exercise? I know it's not weight lifting, but your body is bearing the weight of itself.
I agree with much about calcium, dairy and protein. However, I think Greenland isn't the best example, being mostly within the arctic circle .

And yes, walking is a weight bearing exercise. Weight-bearing exercise, as a term in the context of preventing osteoporosis, has nothing to do with weight training per se, although it is one form of weight-bearing exercise.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #51  
No description available.

I think that the bone density/nutrition/exercise topic is a very interesting one. We are all here to be as healthy as we can be, and since we are mostly women, this concerns us all a great deal.

Walking is a great weight bearing activity. I'm not sure I would consider weight lifting per se to be a weight bearing activity (I am open to changing my mind on this!) I have heard that weight lifting can help with bone density, but what I am referring to specifically right now is weight bearing exercise.

There are open arc and closed arc exercises. Open arc would be things with minimal impact, ie elliptical, swimming, biking, things that are great for lots of things, but they are nonimpact. Then you have closed arc exercises, ones where your feet hit the ground. Those are what I think of when I think of weight bearing exercises. So, walking and running. I would think walking lunges with dumbbells would fall into this category. But anything where your feet hit the ground in a way that causes some impact would count (personal trainers and other people smarter than me, please jump in!)

So, yeah, walking can help preserve bone density.

As does running, which is why I run (other reasons too, but that is the main one). But there are other things to look at when we evaluate risk: ethnicity, weight, amenorrhea (lack of menses)...etc....Caucasian teens of low body weight who exercise enough to stop their menses are going to be at a higher risk than other populations.

My risk is based on my ethnicity and the fact that, while spending 8 years of my life breastfeeding, I did not have menses for a lot of that time. Which was great!!! But, my bones might be at a higher risk. So I run and take calcium supplements and get plenty of sunshine (balancing it with my risk for skin cancer). And I'm using contraception with estrogen at this time.

Cause there may also be some concerns about women who use progesterone only methods (particularly depo-provera) for extended periods of time. What does that do to their bone density? How can they catch up to their peers? What are the risks and benefits of depo-provera after a couple of years?

So weight train for lots of other reasons, but I think your walking is fine weight bearing exercise.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #52  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

midwife, I have had a Mirena for almost five years, with no periods. Does that increase my risk of osteoporosis? I was thinking of getting another one for the next five years. I also do some running and take calcium supplements.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Yup, I believe walking is a weight-bearing exercise. Unfortunately for me, I've taken synthetic thyroid for over 30 years, so carrying 100 lbs. of extra weight, chewing lots of Tums for GERD, and daily walking didn't do it for me. So I always caution people who are on thyroid medication to take additional calcium, but be sure and take it well after your thyroid medication and any antacids. That's my public service announcement. Plus as I discovered from the nice people at the blood bank, calcium inhibits the absorption of iron so if you take lots of calcium for osteoporosis, you can become anemic. Sometimes I think I can't win!

Midwife, according to a couple of doctors and researchers I've spoken with, weight lifting is considered a weight-bearing activity and helps strengthen bones, but not to the extent that something like jumping (or probably walking) does. One of the studies that was done regarding bones was at the public schools where kids jumped for a minute or two during classes. Those kids were followed for quite a while and compared to kids who didn't jump--the jumpers had better bone density. The researchers even got quite specific on the best height to jump to affect bones.

Last edited by Sheila53; 10-17-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #54  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Wow. What a great thread. I certainly benefit from all of the five that Venuto has listed. There are three other things I do that have been helpful in my maintenance as well.

1. Community Support...uhm. That would be all of you folks. I never would have been successful in maintaining if I didn't have real life examples of people of all types doing this everyday. Especially when all the stats indicated longterm or lifetime maintenance is something very few ever achieve.

2. Constant research in nutrition and new exercise moves to rotate into my program. There's more than one way to raise your heart rate and lift a dumbell.

3. Development of new goals or seeking a new experience. Each fall I take a little time to outline new goals. This is really an attempt to overshadow or reduce the impact the holidays can have on my resolve to maintain. Each summer I try to explore a new area of fitness or sport. This summer it was yoga and cycling. Basically, just keeping it fresh and new helps to remain engaged as an active maintainer.

Does anyone else do this too?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #55  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardHog View Post
midwife, I have had a Mirena for almost five years, with no periods. Does that increase my risk of osteoporosis? I was thinking of getting another one for the next five years. I also do some running and take calcium supplements.

Hey Ward, Sorry for the delay!

I dug into that very question about 8 months ago. The answer is: probably not. The theory is that the Mirena acts more locally than the depo does so it is not expected that women will have the bonse density issues with the Mirena that we see with the depo (and I do want to point out that even with depo use, women do seem to catch up to their peers once they stop the depo, but what does that mean about when to stop it in relation to closeness to menopause, etc.). So it sounds like you are doing lots of good things for your health. I do love the Mirena for lots of reasons.

So the answer is *probably* not, but who knows what the data will be showing us in 30 to 40 years? We just can't know yet.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #56  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Thanks, midwife!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote