Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #1  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Default Did/do you still feel fat?

I am 4 lb off my goal weight, and the slimmest I have ever been in my entire adult life. My size 10 (US size 6) jeans are getting loose on me.

But I'm still not happy. I still have back fat, I still have a wobbly baby belly, I still have fat thighs. I have even considered getting a tummy tuck.

I know I need to work on toning parts of my body now - I have been terribly lax and done the least exercise I could possibly get away with. I plan on buying some body fat scales so when I hit my goal I will still have something to watch go down, if that makes sense.

But I am disappointed that I don't feel and look better.

Were you disappointed when you got to your goal weight? Did you look as good as you expected?
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #2  
Mel

I was extremely disappointed when I hit my goal weight, and I did exercise. What made a real difference was completely changing the way that I exercised once I hit goal. Heavy lifting, and intense cardio completely changed the shape and composition of my body (and made me much smaller) despite very little change in scale weight.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Were you disappointed when you got to your goal weight? Did you look as good as you expected?
No, I wasn't disappointed. I was thrilled. I looked better then I ever could have imagined. I know that sounds terrible, but thems the facts.

But then again, I am coming from a totally different place. I think many women would be horrified by my (naked) body. I was 287 lbs at only 5 feet tall. So, for me, this was a VAST, VAST improvement. Yes, I've got some things I'd rather not have, like excess skin. But it is totally and completely undetectable in clothing. My mostly size 2 clothing, that is. So, I can't really say that I'm disappointed. You see, I never, ever was expecting perfection or anything close to it. I knew my body would be nowhere near perfect.

My biggest disappointment was/is my calves. They are still quite large.

I also try to focus and play up on the things that I LOVE about my body: my tiny waist, my incredibly narrow hips, my tiny rear end, my fabulous collarbones, my muscular arms and shoulders.

Quote:
I know I need to work on toning parts of my body now - I have been terribly lax and done the least exercise I could possibly get away with
Well there's still plenty of time to start toning up now.

You've done a great job and should be incredibly proud of yourself. We're all works in progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Mel lifting heavy and intense cardio make a world of difference in shaping your body.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I reached my goal weight and have been working on my dream goal weight, 135, for a couple weeks now. I feel amazing and don't know if I need to keep going to 135. I am wearing a size 4 (US) and just don't think a size 2 would look good on my build. I have good muscle tone and prefer to keep my curves at this juncture. If I lose any more weight, I am frightened I won't fit into my two new pairs of jeans anymore, which sucks because they look good. I honestly don't have the money to keep buying more and more clothes as I go down in sizes. I think I am just going to work on toning up a little more. I also have never been a size 4 in my entire life. I am still an 8 in dresses. I am in better shape than I have been since I was a sophmore in high school. I still have back fat and a little pooch, but I don't think I would feel like myself without those things. I have had friends go overboard and lose a little too much weight and start having irregular periods and growing peach fuzz because their bodies start going into protection mode. Last night at my softball game, some of the people on our team started making comments about how I looked great, but if I lost too much more, I would start looking gross. I appreciated their honesty, but it is me that has to live in this body. Good luck to you, Robisia!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I have thin days and I have fat days. Sometimes I feel like a whale, sometimes I think I look skinny.

That said, I agree that lifting weights is a great way to change your body for the better. Loose skin doesn't look as loose if it's stretched over a big muscle!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I have thin days and I have fat days. Sometimes I feel like a whale, sometimes I think I look skinny.
I think that says it for everyone who has ever lost weight . It does take the brain a lot longer to be satisfied with what the body has achieved.

I really liked my body at 135 and under (original goal was 125). But the weight training with relatively light weights and not so many reps made such an awesome, noticeable difference.

I bought a full length mirror and was absolutely thrilled with what I was developing with my personal trainer.

And I am far from "perfect" (whatever the heck that is) but I am soo happy with what I've got. I guess being older (51) makes a difference too. I am not striving to look like any of the (anorexic to me) young things pictured in the media.

I am a relatively short, curvy, strong, muscular woman. Yahoo for me!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My figure didn't become perfect when I reached goal but there is a lot less of it , so it looks much better.
What is really annoying in my case is I am starting cancer treatment and will probably lose weight. I didn't want to lose it this way. So I will be wanting to gain weight to get back to goal, crazy isn;t it ?

Last edited by bargoo; 09-16-2008 at 09:29 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #9  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, Robsia, I fight this problem all the time. It's like this Fairy Tale that if you loose your excess weight, you will some how magically gain a perfect, beautiful body. I've lost the weight, and now I have a slimmer average body. Exercise has really helped, but, I never be "Supermodel" material. But guess what? SO WHAT? I'm trying to focus on how GREAT I feel and how much I can do with this "average" body. It's a whole lot more that I used to! My body ROCKS, because it does everything I tell it to without pain, and my DH thinks that it is pretty cute. Lets all celebrate form and function over style today!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Hi, I wrote a post just like this not too long ago. Yes, I have days when I still feel fat. I "know" i'm not, but like one of the others said, it takes the brain awhile to catch up. I can look at at picture of myself and see that i'm thin, I just can't always see it in a mirror.

I set a goal of 115 or a size 6 jean, which ever came first. Actually, they both kind of come around together!! ha!! I said I would re-evaluate as I went along.

I'm 60. I'm never going to look like I did when I was 40, or even 50. But I get complements on how "fit" i look. There are parts of my body I would like to change. I would like to have a really flat stomach, like I did when I was 20. I've pretty well resigned myself that it just ain't gonna happen!! I have big arms, inherited from my mom. No matter how much I lose they are going to be big by comparison. But they are actually pretty toned and have a little defination going on there! Work with what you have, accept limitations. Know that you are the best you can be.

And yes, exercise is a MUST!!! It makes so much difference!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #11  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, Bargoo, I just read your post above. I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through cancer treatment. Your posts are always so wise and witty, and so full of strength. You always inspire me! I know that your wonderful inner reserves will get you through this, but I'll send along a personal "quantom" of positive energy your way in case your well needs a few extra drops. Please take extra, pampering care of yourself today.
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #12  
Workin' It

I'm where you are Robsia, I reached my goal weight, but still have the tummy & thigh fat, but it is the tummy fat that really bothers me. I added in weight/resistance training, I'm hoping that will help with the shaping.

Today I'm focusing on the size six pants I have on and not thinking about the poochy tummy!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #13  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

[QUOTE=paperclippy;2363782]I have thin days and I have fat days. Sometimes I feel like a whale, sometimes I think I look skinny.

QUOTE]

Exactly! I KNOW that I am the same size everyday, but some days I feel big and bulky, and others I feel dainty. It's sort of like the bad hair days that no one else notices.
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

First of all - WOO-HOO you for all the work you've done and the great progress you've made.

I honestly think that happiness with your new body is every bit as much a state of mind as it is a state of pounds. I know that when I got "scary skinny" when I was in my 20s I still wasn't happy with my body - I thought I needed to keep losing weight because I still had cellulite and thought my thighs were enormous and disgustingly wobbly. At 115 lbs I still felt like a cow

This time around, I'm not even at goal yet but I'm already ecstatic with the changes. I still have 'squishy' spots I'm working on and trying to improve with exercise but it just isn't that important to me that I'm never going to be asked to do a Bowflex commercial. What's important to me now is how I feel when I walk across the room - strong and confident.

It's going to take a little work on your part (as far as you've come, a little work isn't going to scare you ) but you need to start focusing more on your positive aspects than on the parts that aren't perfect. Congratulate yourself for all those little tiny jeans you can fit into now. Figure out an exercise plan that's going to help you tone those spots you don't like and buy yourself a couple of nicely tailored blouses that camouflage the parts you still aren't happy with. You don't have to strut around the gym in nothing but bicycle shorts and a sports bra to look hot. Feeling good is the best motivation I've found to keep working and improving.

Just hang in there and you'll be feeling great before you know it
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 8"

Oooh Bargoo, I was typing when you posted. I'm so sorry to hear you have such a big challenge ahead of you

But from what I've read of your posts, I see you as a strong willed, positive person who is going to come through this with dignity and humor in tact.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote