Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question Vacation eating advice?

I'm going to NYC on Sept 22. I've been there before so I have an idea of where I can get reasonably healthy uncooked food.

The hotel I'm staying at is right near a Duane Read (drugstore) so I have no problem getting bottled water and juice. It's also close to a supermarket with fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. that is available in one-size portions.

Unfortunately it's a very cheap hotel and there are no mini-fridges in any of the rooms (no mini-bars either which is a good thing). So I can't stock up on snacks or have cold beverages unless I buy them and eat/drink them right away. I'm hoping for good weather most of the time so I can pick up fruit and yogurt and eat them in the park a block away from the supermarket for my breakfasts.There's a coffee shop wherre I can get my morning tea right on the corner of the park. If the weather's lousy I can get my stuff and bring it back to my room.

Lunch and dinner are another story. And I like a small snack in the evening, although I'll be out and about so I can probably pick something up and just eat it on the street. I kept some fruit in my room last time and a cockroach came calling.

Any strategies/tips you've all developed for maintaining while away from home (taking into account my above limitations) would be appreciated.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #2  
No description available.

Can you have a small ice chest in your room?

I like the small cans of salmon with pop-top lids for a non refrigerated protein option. Tuna pouches too.

It sounds like you have done a great job researching options. Do you have an exercise plan while your there? Cockroach wrestling, perhaps?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Oh man, eating well in NYC is not my strong suit. There is just so much good food!

Your plans for breakfast sound great. Would it be possible to take a small cooler or insulated lunch bag to keep in your hotel room? As for grabbing snacks on the street, there are some street vendors who sell fruit. Definitely a better snack than most of the stuff you can get from street vendors!

My best advice for lunches and dinners is to stick to whatever rules you use for eating out at home. Order a salad or fish or grilled chicken, skip the appetizers, desserts, and drinks . . .

But mostly, enjoy your vacation! You can get a lot of exercise in NYC just from walking around and walking up and down subway stairs all the time.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #4  

When I travel, even when I fly, I pack food that can be eaten in my room. For example, I pack reduced fat peanut butter and low cal pitas. I pack 100 cal packs, etc. Then, I locate a corner grocery right away. Although the room I stayed in in NYC a year ago had a frig, I would have happily purchased a cheap cooler from a store if it was something I could use in my room while I was there.
When I was in NYC, I did a LOT of walking, so I was lucky and didn't gain while I was gone, and I ate lots and lots of fruit and salads. I didn't feel deprived at all and was proud that I made good choices. I did NYC when I was in my 7th month of losing, so it can be done
Above all, enjoy NY!!!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I always take my fiber bars with me when I travel. That way I can eat one with my breakfast or for my breakfast. If I get hungry later or know I'm going out to a possibly unhealthy dinner, I'll eat another one (I always eat the chocolate chip so I feel like I've had something sweet and decadent). I agree with the walking in NYC. When we went last summer we never took a cab once we got to our hotel. We walked EVERYWHERE. Many, many miles! Good luck and enjoy!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up thanks for the info

Thanks for the tips! The cooler is something I never would have thought of myself. The drugstore probably has it and ice. I doubt the hotel has ice but I'll ask.

And I walk everywhere when in NYC. I even went from
14th St.E up to the Met one morning when the train resembled a sardine can. I do use the subway at night though. I have a guidebook of "themed" walking tours that I'm using this time.

I love NYC and I always have such a good time there! I go by myself so I can do whatever I want on my schedule. It's my total break from the every day rut that is my life back home.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote