Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #46  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My eye is getting better--now I just look like I have some strange skin disease. My workouts are starting to get back on track, although I'm exhausted just thinking about them. But I think I'll be able to tolerate goggles by Saturday, which means I'll be able to swim, which will be nice (although it's supposed to be cold).

mmmm, cookies.

Goal: The weight will come off. In fact, I doubt you really gained 2-3 lbs in just one day of eating. It takes just as many calories to gain a lb as it does to lose a lb. So for you to have gained 2-3 lbs, you would have had to eat 7,000 to 10,000 calories higher than your maintenance level. Based on your description of what you ate, it doesn't sound like you ate anywhere near that amount. Some the weight you see is surely water and it can sometimes take a while for it release. When I've eaten off plan, it's not unusual for it to take me a week to release all the water I retain from it (longer if I happen to do it just before TOM). And if your exercise is off this week, that could also be causing you to retain water.

EZ: I tripped at the A's game a week ago Saturday and hit my head so hard I gave myself a black eye. What a total klutz I am! And sadly, the game hadn't even started yet (but we stayed for the whole game--I'm a trooper!) and then to make matters worse, they lost 13 to 1. It just wasn't a good day the whole way around.

Paperclippy: I'm picturing you belly dancing in a business suit! I hope you were wearing something more casual!

Megan: Sounds like a great plan! Maybe if they manage to sell the gym as a package, the buyer will want to keep it open?

wndranne: I definitely think swimming helps with injuries like that. I mildly sprained my ankle a while back and I could absolutely feel a difference when I got out of the pool. And a couple of weekends ago I injured something in my upper back/neck (totally separate from the black eye-I'm just a mess lately) and it also felt better after I swam.

Meg: I hope things went well with the physical therapist. Try to go easy on the poor thing

Dagmar: I have no ambitions about having a really spectacular bruise; I really hope I never have another black-eye as long as I live. I'm happy to let you win in the spectacular black-eye competition.

Carolyn: It's good to hear from you. Sorry you are going through such a tough time right now.

Lily: The guy doesn't have to be cute, just so long as he changes the tire (getting a cute guy to do it is just a nice bonus). It's good that your DH is coming home to take care of the tire (changing a tire is dirty, filthy, scary work--definitely better left to men), but too bad that his being home is stressful for you in other ways.

alinnell: It's true, if you run a mile outdoors, you have to run it back. And then if you were stupid enough to lock your keys in the car, you have to walk home. But I think mainly it's the being outdoors with birds and flowers that makes it seem easier. And everyone on the trail waves to each other. Nobody ever waves to me when I run on the TM. On a completely different topic--spyware and malware is a . I've manage to download some nasty stuff myself and it is a pain to get rid of. What a nightmare!

Freda: Even though your DIL is going to be working from home, I'm surprised she wouldn't still need help with childcare. My staff all work from home and they still have to have childcare until their kids are older. Even if you are working from home, it's hard to work and take care of kids at the same time.

Ward: Those are some rockin' arm muscles! The kids are cute too--I love that they are all wearing tiaras!

It's late and I know I've missed some of you. to anyone I've missed.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation Think before I eat

I will do a fancy version of the above title and put it on my fridge, which is covered with inspirational slogans I've gotten from members of 3FC over the last year.

I have figured out why I'm sulking and eating a bunch of stuff I shouldn't and don't really want.

I think I will revisit my blog (if I remember how to access it) and go on at length in there.

So my posts will be a lot more positive and cheerful since I am now determined to get back on plan after 2 days of wallowing in junk food.

Do any of you have these mini-relapses from time to time?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Question Where is my blog?

Could any of you tell me where to go on site to get my user name and password for my existing blog? I just can't dredge it up from the depths of my memory.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #49  
Meg

Dagmar - send a PM to Suzanne 3FC and she'll be able to help you out.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #50  
No description available.

Mini-relapse, Dag? Er, that would be me yesterday. Sometimes I just want to sigh and slap myself for being moronic. It snowballs.....I feel icky so I eat something not on plan....and guess what? I feel worse! And then I eat something not on plan....and guess what? I feel worse! And then I eat something not on plan....I'm sure you get the picture!

So, yes.

Mini-relapse.

My plan? Do the best I can. Sometimes that is enough because that is all I can do. I won't gain 50 pounds back overnight. Deep breath. Plan.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #51  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar - maintenance is full of mini-relapses. I don't remember the quote but there is some line about not letting a lapse become a relapse or something like that. You caught yourself and now you are getting back on plan, that's what matters!

Gary - LOL, I am imagining your construction coworkers talking about your "fat chick friends"!

Barbara - My office is pretty casual, I was wearing stretchy courderoy pants and a short-sleeved collared blouse. I don't even own a business suit!

Goal - the stairmaster is hard! When I was fat, I decided I should start getting exercise, and since stairs had always been a big problem for me I started with the stairmaster. 5 minutes and I felt like I was going to die, and the pulse sensors read my HR at 195! At the peak of my fitness when I was losing I was able to go 45 minutes on it, but I never got above level 4.

Yesterday I had it once again reinforced that when I exercise, I eat better and feel better! Why do I always forget? I went to the hour-long bellydance class at work and got a good core and quads workout, then went home and took the dog for a wog, doing C25K week 1. When I got back I did my UBWO. I slept better than usual last night and I feel great this morning!

Plus, despite the bellydance and wog, my knees aren't really bothering me this morning. I'm really hopeful that if I go for a walk this afternoon to keep them loosened up, I won't have any problems tomorrow either, and I'll be able to do another wog. The C25K podcast I was listening to was perfectly timed to one lap around my neighborhood. It was a pretty good workout for the dog too, he looked tired at the end!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #52  

Height: 5'1"

I had a terrible eating day yesterday, and no exercise either. Unless you count running around like a crazy person exercise! I worked and I lost one of my patients almost as soon as i started work. It took from 8 to 11 to get that settled and then I had to spend some time taking care of my other patients who had been terribly neglected. I finally got a cup of coffee around noon. and I'm a coffee addict! I got to eat around 2 and by then I was starving! I didn't take a lunch (big mistake) and had to rely on the cafateria. No good choices there. I even ate a couple of cookes that one of the patients family member brought in, and i never do that! But, like some of you said, Today is another day.

Barb, i've always thought you were a colorful person and now you're just looking the part. I'm sure we will still be keeping the Grands a lot, I think i'm just getting "empty nest syndrome" Know I know how all you who have kids going away to college feel!

Megan, Sounds like the Gym has hopes that someone else will come in and buy it. But in the mean time you're getting your own guy together. And you can get a good work out from home.

Meg, Sounds like you're doing really well. This is where being fit really pays off!

Jessica, I took a belly dancing class a long time ago. It was quite interesting. I don't think most people realize how hard it is.

Water arobics work really well for lots of things. I had to go to some when I hurt my back, for therapy. It worked when nothing else did.

Everyone, make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

After being off plan a bit this weekend and being up several pounds, I am now down at my lowest weight since starting my weight loss journey. As we keep saying, much of our temporary weight gain is water and thank goodness, it comes off. A few days of on plan eating and great workouts, and I'm down 3.5 pounds in 3 days!

When do you all change your ticker? Do you change it each time you go up or down a pound? Or wait until you see if that weight will "stick"?

I hope my loss isn't going to be erased this weekend but it most likely will. I am flying with younger dd to Spokane Friday night to help move older dd into the dorms (dh is already there). We will have all of our meals out and who knows what/where they will be. I also most likely won't get my normal exercise but hopefully will be very active with helping dd. I hope there isn't major Labor Day traffic tomorrow. I don't like driving on freeways (after harrowing experiences on freeways in Houston and South Africa!), and I will have to drive to the airport so I will be stressed out to begin with. I am trying to plan out what I can so I don't get entirely derailed. I had bought a pandora bracelet August 1 after reading that the slim me rewards herself with a new charm for her bracelet for staying at maintenance weight each month. My next charm is due September 1 (I already bought it and am keeping it in my closet), so I can't gain too much on my weekend! Hopefully that will be incentive for me to at least eat correctly.

I have to have a repeat mammogram today so if you don't mind, keep me in your thoughts. I am sure all is fine, but I'm a tad stressed!
Thanks....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #54  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Michele, I count Fridays as my "official" weigh-in day, so I change my ticker every Friday (assuming my weight changed).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #55  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning all,

I finally caved and after 3 weeks of swelling, redness, pain, and my trying to stave off infection I called the doctor today about my ingrown toenail. I think I'm paying for my podiatrist's children's college funds I got there so often. The Melting Pot was fun last night and I didn't overdo it with the food - enjoyed myself, went slightly over calories but that will be my high-cal day for the week. There were 11 of us women and we had a fun girls night.

Michele, I try to just change my ticker 1x a week on my weigh-in day also, but I'm definitely more lax about changing it to reflect a gain than a loss. Go figure... I hope you don't get too stressed with your mammogram today.

Freda, sorry your day was so stressful yesterday. I hope today is better.

Jessica, I'm glad you had such a good BD class! How neat (and convenient) that they're doing it at your office.

Dagmar, oh, yes, I have relapses. I strive to make myself a better person, my diet healthier, my body sounder, but what can I say. I'm a work in progress. We're only human, after all. Step away from the junk food! Journaling sounds like a great way to relieve some stressful emotions.

Barbara, glad your eye is healing. Yes, there is the chance someone will buy the whole gym and keep it open, but I'm not getting my hopes up (I live in a poor county and the economy is particularly depressed in this area - not a ton of potential buyers). That way it will just be a nice surprise if it works out.

Goal, I agree with Barbara - it's probably just water weight that needs to be flushed out. Hang in there!

Gary, we're just teasing. How is your new job working out regarding being further from home and your healthier lifestyle?

Meg, how was your first session with the PT?

Have a great day all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I posted a couple of weeks ago about facial numbness and since have been to my doctor who sent me to a neurologist ,she was quite interested that I have had cancer so she scheduled me for a bone scan which I will have tomorrow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

bargoo~I hope your bone scan comes out negative and that your numbness is just some flukey thing that goes away on it's own. :hugs:

I had a slight mishap with my dinner last night. There was enough for 4 people or more and the three of us ate it all. It meant two pieces of manicotti for me rather than one and the scale was up 1/2 a pound. I'm not going to stress about it, though. Other than that, I was POP.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ainell, thanks, I'm all for flukey ( is that a new medical term ?)

Last edited by bargoo; 08-28-2008 at 11:55 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #59  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Meg, you never cease to amaze me. You are doing so fantastic.

Carolyn, great to see you posting again. Sorry about the trouble with your disability insurance. I had a big disappointment with mine too. I wanted to go back to college this semester and learned that if I did mine would be cut off. So frustrating cause I'd love to learn a new trade so I could work again. Plan for now is wait til DH is making enough money (probably next yr.) and then go back to school. That way he could totally support us while I get re-educated for a new career. Yes financial woes are horribly frustrating. Realisitically though since my DD is soon facing more surgeries it may be in my best interest to wait anyway.

I finally got my flat fixed yesterday. When we took it back where we bought it, we learned the valve stem was broken (hence why all the air had leaked out).

DH is gone right now taking Shelbey to get her driving permit.

We played golf yesterday and it was fun, but hot and humid. We also played some Texas Hold-em with some golf buddies and I won $50.00. Yeah! Maybe I should become a professional poker player, LOL.

Anne, lol at the sparkly leotard. When my son was about 4, I bought him chaps and western vest. He practically wanted to live in it. Of course, now I couldn't get him to wear a pair of Wranglers to save his life. He buys himself very preppy clothes. Actually he is worse about shopping than I am.

Todays plan, I mow the yard while DH weed-eats. Sounds fun, huh!

Last night Shelbey came into the living room and proceeded to tell us about a new tv commercial she saw about Camel cigarettes that if you squeeze a little ball in the filter, it changes it to a menthol cigarette. DH cracked up and then said "you are so busted " "they quit making cigarette commercials years ago. Sometimes kids never learn that you can't fool the parents!

Last edited by lilybelle; 08-28-2008 at 12:11 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #60  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Do any of you have these mini-relapses from time to time?
Gads, relapse is my middle name this month! As I said on "no excuses" it's been a terrible last few weeks for me, and I've finally pulled myself up so I can at least see out of the hole I've fallen into.... Just learn what you can from the experience, then put it behind you and go forward with a positive frame of mind!

It's raining here, yet again, and I have a day and a half to finish my 2009 department budget. Ick, ick, ick. My admin asst is due back from vacation tomorrow thank goodness. She'll take a lot of the peripheral stuff away and I can concentrate of getting the budget finalized.

Jessica - I took belly dancing at a community school program eons ago, but it was a lot of fun. When I was emptying out a closet a few months back I found the little finger cymbals we used.

Barbara - glad to hear you're feeling better. You and Anne have inspired me to at least look up and see what the pool schedule is here. I used to swim all the time in college and grad school. Might be time to get back into it.... I noticed in the same closet cleaning when I found my cymbals, that my swimming goggles were broken, so I'd need to replace those.

Meg - I'm sure the PT will be very impressed with how diligent you are (and we know that you will be). I'll bet you make good progress quickly.

Okay, the budget calls, I can proscrastinate no longer. Please feel free to if you see me here again in the next few hours.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote