Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #31  

Geez Mel, now I feel like a real schnook because I was laughing so hard at picturing you fighting for your life but all I could visualize was a Dilbert Cartoon Strip. I multitask ALL the time and I think I’m going to print off a copy of the instructions, laminate them and keep them handy at my desk. If I ever have an issue I’m just going to hand the instructions to the first person I see. That m-i-g-h-t expedite getting some assistance.

Actually I choked on some venison when I was a child. My Dad grabbed me and was able to reach it with his fingers but I have a bit of a phobia about choking. It happens so darned quickly, I’m so glad you are alright and you and your sense of humor are both intact.

Please take care,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #32  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

MELLLL?!? ~sigh~ Slow down. You know, they make fiber tablets that don't taste that bad, you don't have to include fruit pits. Not to mention it is a pretty ambition request for your colon too. Okay. I'll admit it. I laughed pretty hard the second time I read your post. The chair with the wheels was the best. But geez, what a scary thing to experience. I can't believe that no one knew how to do the Heimlich, I just wonder if it's more that no one wanted to make the mistake of doing it incorrectly. Hmmm, interesting concept for a social psychologist to expound upon. I recall something about this during one of my classes back in the day... Thanks for posting this. It serves many lessons, mindful eating, and reminding us all to be THE ONE who takes the initiative when no one else will especially when a life is at stake.

Thank goodness you are okay.

Last edited by Lydia227; 08-21-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hmm.... Lydia raises a good question, and I happen to BE a social psychologist... hmmm....
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #34  
Mel

That's a very interesting point- when the woman's boss showed up at the scene, I'd already dislodged it. He's not a big guy, but does work out. He said he would have been worried about hurting me or breaking a rib.

I've taken CPR about - oh, 10 or eleven times. Invariably, in every class, people are worried about cracking ribs. Helloooo!!!! If someone needs CPR or the Heimlich, they are dead or in a situation where they may die! Don't worry about ribs. And chances are, if you are doing either of these, you WILL crack cartilage, bruise the victim at best, and crack ribs. But you are also saving a life. Ribs heal.

Jessica- I made a ball out of my fists, placed them under my sternum, and came down on my fists (and chest) on the chair and file cabinets as I think denver described. I have a bruise,

Grapes were a success!

Thanks for your concern, everyone. Now go take a CPR class that includes AED training and find out where your office AED is. Lobby for one if you don't have one. It's much more effective at saving people.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #35  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Wow, I'm so glad you are OK!!!! What a great lesson about mindful eating but what a horrible way to learn it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #36  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

How scary! I am glad you're ok.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote