Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Husband's new job...

We've been married a little over a year now, and I started my weight loss journey about a month in. I'm beyond goal now, and things have been going great.

He's been working days this whole time, which was great. We ate breakfast and lunch separately, and then I cooked us a relatively healthy dinner every single night.

Well. Not anymore, starting very soon. He's quitting his job to go to work for a new company, and for the first few months he'll be working nights...6:30 p.m-6:30 a.m. The place is about 40 miles away, so he'll be eating and leaving home before I even get in from work, and I'll see him about half an hour in the morning before I go TO work. Then briefly on my lunch break, if he's even awake.

This totally screws up the food schedule. I'll be cooking dinner for one, which is hard to do. I don't even know WHAT he'll eat yet...

Any suggestions to help me keep things healthy, but small, with variety?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #2  
carinna

See, I'm the opposite. I find it's easier for me to stay on track when I'm only preparing meals for myself. Because sometimes when I'm doing really well, my BF will want to cheat and I will end up joining him. If I'm cooking for myself, I am more likely to stick with something healthy.

One idea is to make a huge salad and store it in the fridge. Then you can take individual servings as needed, and maybe throw some grilled chicken on it.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I sometimes fantasize about how easy it would be if I didn't have to cook for my husband and kids! Well, that isn't going to happen any time soon, so I just deal with it.

How about still preparing your healthy dinners and let him heat his up when he wants it? Or prepare it and eat the leftovers for the next day's lunch?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

alinnell's idea is the first idea that occurred to me as well. Why not just prepare what you normally would for dinner anyway and put his portion in the fridge? He can heat it up and eat it whenever he wants. If he's anything like my SO, I'm sure he'll appreciate having a ready-to-eat meal rather than having to make his own dinner.

Another thought is to look at this as an opportunity make meals for yourself that you've been wanting to try but that your DH wouldn't like. There is a long long list of vegetables that I love but that my SO won't eat, so I love it when I'm preparing dinner for just me. I'm way beyond fantasizing, here--I have a whole stash of recipes I've set aside for nights when I don't have to cook for him (which, mind you, happens only once every gazillion years). I either cut the recipe in half so that it makes only two servings (and save one serving for the following night), or I make all four servings and eat the extra servings for lunch.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-20-2008 at 12:47 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Thanks!

I like the idea about cooking as usual, then letting him re-heat his portion when he's ready for it. Also about trying things I want to try, but can't get him to eat...maybe it won't be so bad after all!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
How about still preparing your healthy dinners and let him heat his up when he wants it?
That was my suggestion too and which is what I do when DH works late...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote