3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat---Aug 18-25 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/149404-maintainers-chat-aug-18-25-a.html)

featherz 08-22-2008 05:28 AM

I'm 41, no kids - my hubby (50) is OK with my not wanting kids and thus far I haven't regretted it. I know I'd be a poor disciplinarian and he'd be even worse. I've always been a tomboy and that clock just didn't tick for me. Maybe I'll regret it, but I don't think so. I'll be happy with other people's kids and then I get to send them home. =)

Mudpie 08-22-2008 05:44 AM

A buncha stuff

Cat's tongue You live in Vancouver? Yellow walls are definitely something to get excited about, with all that grey :( rainy weather.

Barbara As for kids looking after you in your old age it depends on what kind of a parent you've been to them. I will never, ever do more than what is basically necessary for my dad as he's been an absolute :censored: to me all my life.

What colour is your eye today? ;)

Megan :hug: That really sucks :mad: about your gym. You might want to try Craig's list online for used exercise equipment. There's a ton of stuff and most sellers have photos so you get an idea of what shape the stuff is in.

Allison I'm sure that cookbook will be a special memory from her "college years" for your daughter.

Lilybelle Whew! You're looking after your grandkids full time? Made me tired :tired: to just read about it. That's a lot to take on! And potty training too! I'm an expert on dogs but wouldn't know how to go about it with a child :p.

Jessica There's an herbal sedative (very mild so you would probably want to give it every day for a week before attempting the nails) called "Rescue Remedy" which can work well without requiring an "anti-sedative". It's available here (Canada) in natural food stores. I used it with my senior citizen dog and it was a lot easier on her system than the vet's anaesthetic.

And finally, it's Friday! Wheeee!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dagmar :dance:

Megan1982 08-22-2008 09:07 AM

Hi all,

I'm not sure what's going on with my insides, but I think that I've got a little bug or my body is responding to the junk food I've eaten this week. It is not happy and I don't feel so hot. Also Tropical Storm Fey is headed straight for me. I don't know how long I'll be at work today. My tropical storm plan: head home. Crawl into bed. Pull covers over head and sleep. The flashlight is already next to my bed from last week's power outage so I think I'm set.

Thanks for the sympathy about the gym situation - I knew the maintainers would understand! My office thinks my complete and utter despair is sort of amusing. I asked my BF if he would love me when I got fat (I know, stupid thing to say but anyway...) his response was "I love you anyway, [nice things about my body], but I know you! You'll find a way to work out!" Nice to know he's got so much confidence in me. I've already been searching Craig's list.

Barbara, I like your houseplant joke. I couldn't use it myself (too big a garden!), but I do like it!

Lily, I can't imagine watching all those kids, dealing with potty training, and then dealing with your SD! Gah! Every time you talk about her I feel so frustrated on your behalf.

Freda, I'm glad you had such a lovely walk.

Allison, thanks, my Mom has actually saved me some nice pots and pans for the kitchen, but I can't drive to get them until Christmas. I need a sort of odd assortment of things - I own my bed but no dresser or end tables or microwave, for example. But I'm going to make some shopping trips to the city, walmart, goodwill, see what I can find (actually I was going to go Sunday but only if the tropical storm is gone!).

Have a nice Friday everyone! Shane, stay dry!

lilybelle 08-22-2008 10:04 AM

Blue, every houseplant I ever owned died, but somehow these kids and grandkids seem to thrive. Lol

Dagmar, I'm just watching the grandkids full-time this week. I sure couldn't handle it every day. They are a handfull. So active . I feel like I'm in the kitchen or bathroom all day every day. I normally take the kids one night a week.

Megan, the SD called me last night and wanted me to meet her today to pick up the other 2 boys. I told her that the dad had left them with me and that she could pick them up from him After he got them back from my house. I'm trying to stay out of all their fights.

So the boys are supposed to be picked up about 3PM today. It's a toss up whether I'll hit the gym for a good workout or try to catch up on some sleep that I've missed this week.

I did get my breakfast back OP today and hoping the rest of my eating will fall back in place. I'm now on my 2nd cup of coffee and it's time to bathe the kiddos.

Cats tongue 08-22-2008 12:04 PM

Helllo all! WEEEE FRIDAY!!!!!

My walls are slowly turning yellow. Because it's such a light colour over such a dark colour, I have to do three coats. Dagmar, I'm actually painting my room in my parent's house in super sunny Kamloops (in the Okanagan area of BC). I'll be living in a dorm when I'm in Vancouver. No nice coloured walls there. :( Blue, no wall paper? I'm so there! LOL. ;) I love painting.

Allison- Is this your daughter's first year at University? College campuses can totally be scary. I hope my dorm at UBC is an upper level one, it does seem safer. That's so cool that you made her a cookbook! I have a whole collection myself. I love being able to cook for myself.

slim - good job on the walking. I'm so scared of an injury stopping me from being able to exercise. My mom has a problem with her foot and she can't do anything. Fingers crossed I don't start falling apart at 50 like she has.

Megan - Your gym is closing?! That sucks big time. I can't believe there's nothing else within an hour from you. Good for you for already looking for a solution.

lily - )))hugs((( Sorry about all the drama going on in your life. It must be tough.

So painting is going well. I'm in a speed skating camp this weekend, and I'm stoked to get out on the ice again. I went last night for a practice, it was great. I think my eating is going okay right now. I'm trying to just eat mostly whole foods and not over eat. On saturday I'll take measurements and weigh in for the second time since getting back from tree planting. Fingers crossed I'm still under 140.

alinnell 08-22-2008 01:26 PM

Cats tongue~yes, this is DD's first year at college. She's happy--she likes to stay busy. Oh, Vancouver! We were there a few weeks ago--so beautiful!

WaterRat 08-22-2008 01:49 PM

Barbara - Long term care insurance is my friend! :)

alinnell 08-22-2008 02:40 PM

Barbara~my last two houses were white. When we built this new one, my husband actually chose the colors (otherwise it would have been white as well). It's two toned--most of the walls are a muted creamy yellow with one wall in each of the larger rooms a light to medium tan. Our painter actually chose the colors based on our tile, carpet, granite and cabinet selections. I'm really pleased with the results. But I agree--painting after moving in is a hassle! We had the house repainted a few months back, and although I didn't have to do much (move some pictures and a few little knicknacks) it was still a hassle.

WardHog 08-22-2008 02:50 PM

My daughter's sixth birthday party is on Sunday. Who wants to come? ;)

alinnell 08-22-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardHog (Post 2328635)
My daughter's sixth birthday party is on Sunday. Who wants to come? ;)

It's a little bit far....what with the cost of travel these days.

Wish her a very happy birthday from me!

Mudpie 08-22-2008 05:09 PM

Okanagan bound eventually

Megan Glad to hear the Okanagan is sunny. The DH and I are planning to retire (well semi-retire, we'll always have to work a bit) there. We will need warmth to ease our creaky bones.

I love eastern Canada but live there? And walk dogs? No thanks!

Dagmar :cool:

goalsuccess 08-22-2008 07:09 PM

Greetings, all!
This week has been uneventful. I have almost completed my dissertation reading YIPPEE! However, next comes typing all the notes. There's got to be a good part here soon--oh, I know, getting the degree! :) Of course, that's about 2 years off!
Eating wise, my week's been fine. I have continued to CRAVE chocolate, though, all week. Today, I picked up 3 different types of candy bars, but then put each back. Somehow 250+ calories and all that fat just doesn't seem worth it. Wish I could get rid of the craving though because it feels like I'm constantly battling myself :( I also have done well exercising. I'm concerned about returning to teaching and moving my workouts to the late afternoon. This week, I went and worked out two early mornings. It felt good, so I might do that at least 2 days a week and then try to add in other days once I get my groove on for teaching again and don't feel like I'm only 1/4 step ahead of my students--not a good feeling. My weight is remaining where it has been. Though I'd like to see if 3-5 lbs lower, I really don't want to work at it to get it there. Maybe next week. I have found that I have to force myself to take the time to eat during my first 3 work days, so I'm going to have to be really aware of that as if I wait, I am famished!
Need advice about what to eat at a football game--we're headed to the metrodome to cheer on the Vikes tomorrow night and I just learned they won't let you take in a bigger purse, so I can't sneak in my healthy foods as I'd planned to do. Please advise me on the new link about football games-yikes!
Have a good weekend,everyone! If anyone needs a great meal idea, I made chicken kebabs last night--pineapple, peppers, onion, and marinaded chicken on the grill. They were very good and great for leftovers, too! :)

Mudpie 08-23-2008 05:51 AM

Just venting a bit

So it seems hubby and the neighbour had a drunken screaming match in the shared driveway last night.The driveway is an ongoing problem with our neighbour, who is an abusive drunk and feels the right to lord it over us because he "owns" (he hasn't worked the whole 3 years we've been here) and we rent.

Unfortunately I'm the one who pays extra rent to use the driveway to access the parking space at the back.

My weekend is stressful enough and now hubby will be following me around and yelling about how we have to move (he's working 2 days a week so that's out of the question) blah, blah, blah.

Sigh. I just want to crawl into a hole and cry. But strangely enough I don't want to eat. Think I'll just turn the whole matter over to the police. Not that they'll actually do anything.

Dagmar

Robsia 08-23-2008 07:03 AM

LisaMarie - I was just lurking on this thread (hope you all don't mind - I'm not quite ready to join in as a regular yet). But I wanted to say that I have just this week got back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I had just touched 144.4 when I found out I was pregnant.

I was 207 before I had her and 190 when I came home from the hospital. She is now 8.5 months so for me it really was a case of 9 months and and (almost) 9 months off.

I also breastfed - still do, although it's part time now. I found the experience very different to when I breastfed my first baby, With my first we had it sorted within a week and I confess I felt very smug as it was all going so well and I remember wondering why people made such a fuss about it - it was easy!!

With this one - it took a month before it stopped hurting! I knew what to do, but she couldn't seem to figure out how to latch on properly and I couldn't work out how to tell her!! Even nipple shields didn't help - she refused point blank to have anything to do with them. In the end it was just patience, time, determination that I WAS going to breastfeed my baby, and lots and lots of Lansinoh!! Luckily she was a very good baby and I didn't get PPD - if I had a screamer PLUS latching problems PLUS PPD I would have been a total wreck.

But I just wanted to wish you luck - I am sure you will get your feeding issues sorted very soon - and the weight will come off - it just takes time.

LisaMarie71 08-23-2008 08:04 AM

Thanks for your post, Robsia!! I definitely need all the encouragement I can get these days!

I'm lurking too most of the time because I don't have time to read and respond to everyone like I want to.

I went to a lactation consultant the other day and things are better in some ways and worse in others. I think we'll get through it, though. I'm pretty determined to make it work and just endure the pain for a while. I can't even be bothered to think about my weight until all this straightens out. I'm starving all the time from breastfeeding, so I'm just trying to eat a lot of healthy stuff instead of a lot of junk, but I do occasionally have junk because it's the easiest thing to grab. Cutting up a nice salad isn't easy when you're nursing for 40 minutes, then pumping for 10, then changing a diaper, then washing your pump materials, then trying to get the baby to either sleep or stay awake, then trying to catch a few minutes of sleep when he does...and then repeating the process a few minutes later!!