Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

My protein level is about 15%. Sometimes!

The guy is obviously doing something right with his diet!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
My calories came in at about 1300 today with 111g of protein. So if I just increased my portions until I was at 12,000 calories, I'd be eating over 1,000g of protein. At 500g of protein on 12,000 calories, only 17% of Phelps's calories come from protein. Even folks around here that don't eat much protein are eating more protein than that!

It makes me wonder--if Phelps was eating 12,000 calories of really healthy food, would he be any faster? I suppose when you've won eight gold medals in a single Olympics, you don't really care about being any faster than you are. But it would still be interesting to know. I also wonder if he were eating more nutritious foods, would he still need to eat 12,000 calories a day. Or does he have to eat that much because some of the calories he's eating aren't really providing much in the way of nutrition.
I doubt you can apply recommended percentages across the board like that. I really expect they are developed across an average range of calories. I would assume that if one's calorie intake is very very low, the protein percentage would go up, and if it's very very high, it would go down. While his protein requirements are surely high, the majority of his extra calories needs are just for energy expenditure.

But I quite agree that from a nutritional point of view, his food makes me cringe.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-20-2008 at 12:15 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yes, but you have to remember that his needs are different as well, especially while competing. He is not trying to build muscle and strength; he's working to stay lean and put on enormous bursts of energy - carb fueled. I wouldn't be surprised if (during competition) his macros were 60/20/20 or something like that.

I also tend to think that things like the list of foods above are somewhat played up for the TV audience. I would suspect that his diet varies some from what was shown ... and changes up when he's not competing or actively training.

Gotta remember that the media wants to sensationalize *everything* ... including athletes diets, I wouldn't be surprised to find out.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #19  
Nobody Leans on...

S/C/G: 279/165/142

Height: 5'2

Never mind the cals, carbs and whatnot, but how much TIME does he devote to eating! That part has me mind boggled!
Sharkysmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Wonder what Uriah (sp?) Bond eats??? Love to watch him run... and dance!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkysmachine View Post
Never mind the cals, carbs and whatnot, but how much TIME does he devote to eating! That part has me mind boggled!
I was thiniking this too. But I guess when your "job" is to be a multi gold winning Olympic swimmer, part of the criteria is that you make time to eat what's necessary to help you achieve your golds, I mean your goals .

What a life. What a life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote