Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #46  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

I'm sort of dreading the weekend, b/c lately I've made bad health decisions on the weekends. No big plans, just hanging out w/ BF, we'll see where the weekend takes us, STAYING OP (that is my big plan, I guess).

It's my co-worker's bday today. Everyone is going out to lunch, which I'm skipping, I made her a cake which I plan not to eat (but I still made it!), and everyone is going out to happy hour too. I feel obligated to go to happy hour. Not that I don't wish her a happy bday, but everyone always tries to pressure me in particular b/c they know I don't drink often "but I'm so much fun when I do!". I plan to go but drink a non-alcoholic diet soda or something disguised in a cocktail glass. The hardest part I think will be politely and discreetlyleaving early so I can go to the gym for my workout.

Does anyone else have plans for the weekend?

Lily, I think you need a new workout partner! Or go on your own. You really don't need that kind of negativity when you are working so hard to stick to your healthy lifestyle.

Wardhog, good luck w/ the ILs. Remember to breathe deeply if they're being stressful.

DGA, Gone with the Wind in the theater sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you get to go. Phoey on boy, boys need to learn that they should just be quiet and smile sometimes when they're doing things to make us happy. Drink lots of water, wear sunblock, and enjoy the concert too!

Freda, I hope you find a nice charm. What a great reward for yourself. Could you, um, shift a chair over the stain? Sorry, that's all I've got.

Jessica, I hope you're feeling better today. Enjoy your cooking club. Isn't it funny how sometimes what you think is water will disappear quickly if you flush it out, but if you don't and let it sit for a week (continue to eat high sodium foods or whatever) the water morphs into "real" weight? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that it's water in the first place, but I know exactly what you mean.

I guess I feel a little better if not all TJ's are so great...

Meg, enjoy your vacation!

Hi to everyone else, and have a great weekend!

Last edited by Megan1982; 08-01-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Freda-- I love your Pandora charm idea! Those bracelets are sooo pretty. I may have to "borrow" your idea....

Hmmm....today is my 21st anniversary. Dh and I said no gifts, but maybe a new bracelet would be in order??!?!

We dropped my 17 y/o dd off at the airport. She is going to London for 10 days. She is so excited and we are so excited for her! My brother-in-law and his wife live there. They said they would treat her to a graduation trip from high school if we paid her way there so she is going to London and Edinborough, Scotland!

My dh took today off and we (he, myself and younger dd (13)) are going to San Francisco this afternoon. We are going to explore, walk around, and then I've booked dinner at what looks to be a fantastic restaurant. I'm going to try not to worry about what I eat tonight, but I'm bummed that my weight is still up a couple of pounds. I'll focus on it tomorrow and I'll be POP the rest of the day today (including the gym before we leave).

I am so sore today! I took my two dogs for a big walk to the dog park yesterday (with dd). I am seriously sore in my legs. They were so excited that they pulled us the whole way there and we pretty much wogged. They are about 200 pounds combined so I guess it was a workout! I didn't realize I had such a workout from them so I still went to the gym and now I'm seriously sore. I hope the gym doesn't kill me today!

Have a great day and weekend everyone with all of your plans!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #48  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I guess it all depends on what products your TJ's stocks, but my TJ's has been a Godsend. I buy almost all my dairy there (including eggs and egg sub), bread, some produce, snack foods (egg white salad, low cal crackers occasionally, marinated mushrooms, baked tofu), roasted red pepper, salad dressing, hummus (eggplant hummus with only 35 cal per serving! you can't find that at a regular grocery store), canned tuna, tuna in green curry sauce, rice, pre-cooked polenta and grits, breakfast cereal (both hot and cold), spreads for sandwiches (like artichoke tapenade), fresh salads (I love the Low fat seafood louie salad), chile chicken lime burgers (just chicken, veggies, and spices and only 110 calories per patty), salmon patties (just salmon, in a patty shape, only 80 cal per patty), lean ground beef (way better than the lean ground beef sold by my Safeway), lean beef stew meat (finally, beef stew meat I can get nutritional data for!), pork sirloin tri-tip, pollo asada (great for chicken tacos, only 120 cal per serving), the list goes on and on...

But we don't have a Whole Foods or any other upscale grocery store anywhere near; the closest is at least 30 min away. TJ's is the closest we get and there are a lot of products at Whole Foods that I really like to be able to buy regularly. I guess we all have our burdens!

Freda: I recommend The Simple Solution Stain Remover. It takes out anything. I know it says it is promoted as being for pet urine, but if you read the back of the bottle, it actually can be used for any type of stain. I use it on our carpets and we don't have any pets, so pet urine is never the problem. You can probably find it at a local pet store (PetSmart stocks it) or a hardware store.

DGADawg: I gotta think that the smart thing to do about your friend is to just let her figure it out for herself. Control the things you can; let the things you can't go--this is one of the things you can't control. It's her body, her wedding, her dress, not your problem. I know you just want her to have the best possible experience at her wedding but telling a friend she needs to lose weight or that you don't think she is going to fit into her wedding dress, even if you have the best intentions, seems like a good way to lose a friend. Alterations can be made at the last minute; you'd be surprised what a good seamstress can do. Somehow it will all work out and she'll have a dress to wear on her wedding day, no matter what she weighs.

Megan: May the Force be with you this weekend (sorry, I put together a Star Wars themed presentation this week and have quotes from the movie running through my head)! You have a great plan! Be strong and resist the evil co-workers that (oh so inappropriately and rudely!) pressure you to drink!

WardHog: You've made it three days with ILS--that's great! Just stay strong. May be the Force be with you too! How much longer until they leave? I hope it's not a month-long visit!

Michelle: Have a great day in SF! It sounds like a lot of fun!

paperclippy: Chicken is the one thing my farmers' market doesn't sell! It would be nice to have an easy source for local chicken (I can get local eggs at the farmers' market but not the chicken that lays the eggs). One thing I've noticed about what you've been eating for the past few days is that it's almost all carbs. Granted it's good carbs--whole grains, fruits, and veggies--but adding a little protein or good fats to your diet might help with the hunger. Hopefully I'm not overstepping here (and lord knows, I'm the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to good fats--I don't eat nearly enough myself). I just wanted to throw it out there because you seem to be struggling a little, but if I'm overstepping just ignore me. I promise not to say anything else about it.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAdDawg View Post
Do we have a baby, Lisa?
No, not yet! Today is my due date (I can't believe it's here), but the baby still seems comfy right where he is. I had my 40-week appointment today and there's no dilation but there is 70% effacement. So hey -- progress! I've been scheduled for an induction next Thursday if he doesn't come before then on his own. If he takes allllll day on Thursday, he might end up with that cool 8/8/08 birthday! Of course, it would be nice if he'd decide to pop on out before then!

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 08-01-2008 at 01:30 PM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #50  
Meg

Sending good vibes your way, Lisa! : I can't believe that your little boy is almost here.

I'm off to the beach tomorrow for a week and am not sure if we'll have Internet access in the house we're renting. So if I'm not around, you can look for me on the beach: Beach Cam. I'm the one under the umbrella with my "never tans, only burns" white skin. It's going to be a welcome distraction from thinking about knee replacements.

If you need anything at all and I'm not around, Mel and Amanda can help you out. But I think we're the least rowdy forum in all of 3FC so I don't anticipate any problems!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #51  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
chile chicken lime burgers (just chicken, veggies, and spices and only 110 calories per patty),
Barbara,
Just coming out of lurker mode here. On the TJ chile chicken burgers - here is a quote from hungrygirl.com

Quote:
You know, I'm really glad you asked this question. I receive TONS of emails about these burgers. We were eating them for a while at the HG HQ as well and noticed the EXACT same thing. In fact, we recently took one of the burgers to a lab, and the results weren't pretty. It contained almost 60% more calories than the box claimed (175 rather than 110), and it had nearly FOUR times as much fat as the label stated (a total of 11 grams fat!). Please keep in mind, this doesn't mean that all of those burgers have that many calories or that much fat. It could have been a fluke. We took ONE patty, from ONE box, from ONE Trader Joe's location to a lab.

Kind of reminds of the restaurant thread. Who can you trust anymore?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #52  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

My doctor's office just called with my lab results. I am kind of relieved because they were abnormal, so my recent symptoms weren't all in my head! In any case she prescribed another thyroid drug (Cytomel) that I'm supposed to start taking in addition to the Synthroid. Hopefully that will clear things up, and maybe kick-start my weight loss.

Barbara - You are not overstepping at all! I do eat a lot of carbs, they make up the bulk of my diet. What happened the past couple days actually is that we ended up with no meat in the fridge but a ton of veggies that needed to be used up ASAP, and since I eat leftovers for lunch, it turns pretty carby pretty quickly. I know I should eat more fats but I am always afraid of eating too much! I did buy whole milk yogurt though, so if I get it turned into greek yogurt (or frozen yogurt ) I'll get some more protein and fat there.

Our farmer's market has chicken, lamb, pork, and beef, plus eggs, milk, yogurt, and cheese. Unfortunately we're pretty slim on the produce! It seems like in Indiana farmland is usually corn or soybeans, but there is a lot of meat production. The people we get chicken from also sell lamb, pork, beef, and turkey (only at thanksgiving). All their animals are free-range and pasture-raised so their diet is mostly grasses and (in the case of the poultry) insects.

Meg - have fun at the beach!

Lisa - An 8/8/08 birthday would be easy for a kid to remember, that's for sure! I'll cross my fingers that you won't have to be induced though.

Michele - LOL about your dogs. We're probably going to take our dog to the dog park tonight, but it's too far to walk so we're driving him there.

Megan - good luck staying OP! I always fall off the wagon on the weekends too.

Last edited by paperclippy; 08-01-2008 at 02:30 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #53  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Fiberlover: That's too bad about the chili chicken lime burgers, but luckily we don't eat them that often. They're just an emergency meal for when I can't or don't feel like cooking (which is pretty rare--I usually forget that not cooking is even an option). And for the three or four times I've eaten them in my life so far, the extra 65 calories probably isn't going to matter. At least it's not as bad as the great TJ's banana crisps fiasco (where the calories were two or three times the amount listed on the package). These things happen, and not just with TJ's. Lean Cuisine recently upped the calories on my favorite paninis by 50 calories per serving. As far as I can tell, they didn't make any changes in the recipe so I have to assume the original calorie info was a mistake. And S&W recently increased the calories in my chickpeas from 80 to 110 per serving. Honestly, the only thing in the can is chickpeas, water, salt, and some sort of preservative. How do you screw up the calories on that?

Calorie counting is all just an estimate anyway, it's impossible to be truly accurate, so you have to just accept that there are going to be some errors along the way. It's not the paninis, the burgers, or the banana crisps that kept me from reaching goal or that caused me to gain a few lbs back once I got there--it's the entire days off plan that were the real culprit. Well, maybe the banana crisps were a culprit because I did eat them every day for a while, the calories were a lot higher than stated, and I didn't have a scale yet so I'm sure my serving measurement was "generous" to say the least.

paperclippy: Wow, that is an awesome meat selection at your farmers' market. And with it all being fresh, I bet it is a big difference in flavor. We can get grass-fed beef (for which there is no nutritional info available, so I'm reluctant to eat it), fish, and eggs and that's about it. There is a stand selling cheese, but it's not cheese that fits into my calorie range so I don't eat it much (but they have a gouda with cumin seeds that is to die for when melted, if only I could eat it more often). I'm surprised you don't have more produce, though. I had an uncle that lived in Indiana and I remember getting just fabulous produce out of his garden (although I don't think he grew anything exotic).

Lisa: Good luck with the birthing! I have a friend with four kids who swears that inducing is the best way to go. I think she asked to have the last couple induced. She really liked just having the whole thing scheduled. So maybe having them induce wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-01-2008 at 09:30 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #54  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, DH and I went to Karaoke last night. I was pretty excited that I was able to wear a new shirt that I had bought 2 months ago and had never worn cause it was previously too tight. It fits perfect now, so I guess my daily workouts are shaving off the tummy inches. I sure wish I had measured myself when I started being back completely on-plan.

Today I had a 2 hr. gym workout. Then played golf this afternoon for 4 hrs. in the sweltering heat. We played with another couple and after seeing how bad they play, I didn't feel so bad about my own game anymore. Other than the heat, it was very fun. I wonder if I may have dropped a lb. cause I know I must have sweated a whole lb.

My eating has been POP.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default Back from Alaska

Hi everyone! We're back from our Alaskan cruise and (drumroll please)...I only gained 1.5 pounds! It sure feels like a lot more than that, though. The cruise was great--the side trips even better and the kids had a great time. Unfortunately, I got stuffed up the last night on board and all day yesterday the symptoms kept getting worse as we sat in the Anchorage airport waiting to fly home. I could barely breathe on the plane. Today my head is reeling and my nose can't decide if it is stuffed or runny (both at once--how does that happen?). So I sit here with my chicken broth as nothing else sounds remotely good. DH and I are supposed to go to a golf tournament banquet tonight but I may beg out. We'll see.

In Juneau, we went whale watching and saw a gam of about 6 or 7 humpback whales! There were also sea lions and seals in the area (and lots of bald eagles). In Ketchikan we did the zipline (wow! what fun--Juneau has an even longer one, but we already had plans). In Haines, we had no plans so walked into town and found a small tour company who took us all out for a fly over the glaciers. Small world--he found his plane while at an air show in Palm Springs and bought it from a guy who my DH used to idolize as a youngster (some old motorcross racer from the 70's). This plane was impeccable. The pilot (who flies out of Moab, UT in the winter) told us a story about a company in Haines that used to do all the cruise flights--his planes were so old and decrepit that the FAA closed him down last year.

Anyway, plan for the day. More chicken broth while I read the paper and then the mail and then peruse my new diet book that my doctor recommended. After that I'll make up a grocery list and go shopping. All the while, I'll be doing multiple loads of laundry. How fun when you're sick--not!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #56  

Greetings, All!

Sounds like everyone is so busy and always responds to others on the board. I don't know how you do it. I barely have time to read the page of responses right before my own. My apologies to all of you! When I get a chance to read responses, I learn so much from so many.

One response I did read was from Lillybelle. Congratulations on the weight/inches loss! That's fabulous! Now, give. What are you doing to get that tummy to get smaller for exercises?

Lately, I've noticed that my work out pants seem to be sliding down by tail end when I work out--like they're too tight, not too loose. UGH! I had myself convinced that I was putting on inches, so I had someone take my measurements today; and I learned that I'm just playing mind games with myself. My measurements were the same as they were in mid April. I think that's a good thing. I mean, I am trying to maintain. I'd sure like to work on my abs and my tail end, though. My legs could use some toning, too, as far as that goes. So, if anyone has suggestions for some ab or glute exercises, I'd love to hear them.

This week has been uneventful for me. I've been working on my initial reference list for my dissertation work. Again, I have been very, very hungry, and I don't think I'm really hungry; I think it's that ugly stress eating habit trying to rear it's ugly, ugly head. For the most part, I haven't given in. I must admit, though, that on Wed, I bought two huge chocolate chip/oatmeal cookies--ate one that day, though it took from 3-8 to eat it. Ate half of the second one the next day and gave half to my hubby. Now, they're gone, but the taste for them is not!!! UGH! I want those cookies! My weight loss counselor said to buy hundred calorie packs and eat one of those--like that's anything like a chocolate chip/oatmeal cookie!!! Anyway, I guess there's a lesson in this--when I have something I love, it leads to wanting more of it rather than satisfying the cookie monster in me. Can't seem to get those dang cookies off my mind.
The good news is that I haven't, besides the cookie and a half, given into the stress eating. It's tough, though, you know. I want to eat so badly. I just try to keep busy and try to convince myself that slipping and eating could have disastrous effects on my weight.

On a good note, my weight is pretty much the same as a week ago--down about .2. I'm good with that. I've been pretty much eating on plan. I love apples, but have you all noticed the price of them? Here, in northern MN, braeburn apples are $1.77/lb. That's outrageous! I continue to buy them because I love them, but they are like gold, it seems. I have a great strawberry pie recipe and holiday salad recipe that I'll post right after this. I'm going to be changing the pie recipe a bit next week and use raspberries instead. The pie is a really healthy option. Sorry, I don't count calories, so I don't know how many it has in it.

Well, better quit blabbering on. Again, anyone with abs/glutes exercise ideas, let me know.
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
I get to go shopping today for my 8th month charm. I get a charm for my pandora charm bracelet for every month I don't gain.

Make it a good day, Freda
Freda-- I went and bought a Pandora bracelet today and my first charm. I love the idea of rewarding myself monthly for maintaining. I was overwhelmed with my choices! I chose a charm that is a tee shirt because it signified to me either exercise or that I wear smaller sizes now. I hope you don't mind me "copying" your idea!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #58  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, your Alaskan cruise sounds awesome (well except for getting sick).

goal, the only thing I'm doing to lose the inches is working out 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day 7 days a week. Lots of cardio. Lots of weights. A little Ab workouts , but not much. When I re-gained these extra lbs. it mostly went to my tummy so that is where I'm losing it from. (except DH told me I have lost my butt again, LOL).

Those cookies sure sound good, but it wouldn't curb the cookie monster for me. It would just make me crave Lots more of them. I passed up yummy looking cookies at the mall today , it was hard but I'm glad I didn't partake.

I had another good workout today. Then took Lacy shopping for school clothes. She came home with tons of stuff and I came home broke, LOL. I gave Shelbey money for clothes too , but she went shopping with some of her friends. She came home broke too and it looks like she bought out American Eagle. LOL.

My weigh in was yesterday. I weighed 153 lbs. now, down from 159.8 just 3 weeks ago. So, I'm doing really good I think.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Great news everyone!!

My son got a letter from his sensei stating that he can test for his black belt in November or February, but in order to do this, he has to go to the dojo every afternoon around 4:00 or 4:30 PM. So I asked DH if he wouldn't mind if I left work at that time, dropped off DS at karate and then went to the gym. He said yes, so tomorrow I'm joining the gym!!!

Granted the kids and I really worked on getting him to agree to go to the gym himself, but he's adamant about not going. I don't know why.

Meanwhile, I've started this diet book that my doctor recommended. It turns out it is written by a local doctor who is a cardiologist at the hospital I used to work at. I'm not 100% sold on his diet. Sure, it is a lot like South Beach and perhaps a little Atkins thrown in there, but some of the things he says just don't make sense to me. #1 is that he advocates eating NO grains. None. Nada. Then he says if you just have to have some, eat steel cut oats or a La Tortilla low carb tortilla. He doesn't like rice, whole wheat, or anything. That's just wrong (IMO). It's a lot like South Beach in that the first few weeks you eat no fruit. But then I went to the grocery store yesterday and blueberries are in season! Huge packages for $2.79 AND THEN on sale of buy one, get one free. Sorry, I can't pass up that!!! So my lunches will include plain Greek yogurt and blueberries!

As for Greek yogurt--the big ones of Fage are around $5 and the Trader Joe's around $2.80 but they're smaller containers. I decided to try TJ's brand this time--I usually get Fage but it is pretty tart and I heard that TJ's isn't as tart.

Right now I am printing several hundred pages of a cookbook I compiled for DD to take to college. When it's done and cut I'll take it to Kinko's to have them bind it. I hope she enjoys it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #60  

Allison,
Is your daughter going to be cooking her own meals in college?
My daughter will be in a dorm so I don't think she'll be doing any cooking on her own. I dread all the poor choices that will be available to her though I know they have healthy options too.