Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default I can't stop!!!

I was happy at 155 and officially called myself a "maintainer." Whoo hoo, right?

So I started upping my calories from the 1,500 I'd been consuming. I went to 1,600, and lost more weight to 150. Ok. I was happy with that, though I was bordering on too thin and bony. So I upped the calories some more...And lost another 3 pounds. I'm now 147.

So I'm at 1,700 calories a day now, working out 30 minutes a day, five days a week (Down from 40-45 minutes a day, 5 times a week). Lifting weights three times a week, as well.

But here's the problem...during the final months of my weight loss, it got where I was ONLY losing weight during the week of my period. For three weeks I'd be at or around the same weight (within 1-2 pounds), but during that week I'd drop 3-5 pounds. Not sure why, but that's how it happened. And that's how it's happening now.

I consumed the 1,600 calories for a month and stayed steady at the same weight. Then BAM...more came off in my TOM week. So I literally can't tell how I'm doing for a month at a time, and by the time I do know how I'm doing, I've lost another 3-5 pounds.

All I know to do is stick with 1,700 calories for the next month and see what happens. I seriously DON'T want to get lower than I already am. The bones in my shoulders and hips are starting to stick out. To me, that's too thin.

I'm at a loss...any advice would be appreciated!!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I hope you won't get upset with my comment, but boy do I wish I could drop weight while eating more! Ok, on a serious note though, I think that you should perhaps see the doctor. You might have a thyroid issue or something else. If you're sure that's not it, then maybe you could workout 4 days a week instead of 5. I hope you find some answers and if you do figure out what happened, please let me know so I can do it too! Ok, kidding again. Sorry....I just couldn't help myself!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I've never encountered your problem (to me, "too thin" is when you can count every rib down your back and can prominently see your breast bone, but we all have personal preferences!), but here is my advice:

Do you use FitDay or The Daily Plate? If so, observe your calories burned vs. eaten. Perhaps you are still creating a deficit and don't realize it. Make sure you eat as many calories a day as you are burning and you will most likely stop losing weight.

The other possibility is just that your body *wants* to be at a lower weight and it will eventually level out and plateau.

Of course, as mentioned above, you could also have a thyroid issue or some other disease where weight loss is a symptom, but I thought I'd address the most logical explanation first

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 07-23-2008 at 10:24 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #4  

Luckymommy – Gosh...your comment doesn't upset me at ALL. I know this is a "luxury" problem to have for many. I'll look up thyroid issues online...I've been having some other problems that could signal a health issue. Thanks for the tip on that!

NightengaleShane – Well, I've just been getting comments from my family members and close friends on how I'm getting "bony." My husband, particularly, since he sees more of me than most people do. He put his arm over me the other day while we were lying down, and commented on how he could feel all my ribs. It's freaking him out, which is always a bad thing...

I use Sparkpeople. I used Fitday for a while, but wasn't able to find most of the foods I was eating. I liked how it kept track of the calories burned/eaten more, though. Maybe I should try Fitday again and see how it's all laying out now....

You know, I was ALWAYS a very skinny kid, up until we moved to a new town and I hit puberty. At that point I was lonely and scared and started using food to comfort myself, which put me where I was a year ago. So maybe I'm naturally thinner than I realize.

But I'll get on Fitday and see what's up...

Thanks for the advice y'all!!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #5  

On Fitday...All the food I've planned for the day comes out to only 1,542 calories. On Sparkpeople, it comes out to 1,682.

Fitness wise, Sparkpeople has my 30 minute recumbent bike workout at 282 calories. Fitday has it at 186 calories, but says my basal rate, etc., plus the workout will have me burning 2,617. So if it's got me eating 1,542 calories, that means I'm short 1,075 calories for the day.

But I also notice, after finally updating my workout/weight information, that Sparkpeople says I should consume 1,710 to 2,060 calories per day.

Hmmm....so maybe I'm getting CLOSE to the right range?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #6  

MindiV - make sure you set your activity level on FitDay to "sedentary/bedridden" for the most accurate results.

1,710-2,060 calories per day sounds about right for a person whose physical activity level is moderate to active.

You know, significant others sometimes are a bit surprised by change. Initially, my girlfriend kept telling me how boney I'd gotten, how she didn't like it, how she didn't like my prominent hip bones, how she thought I was uncomfortable to cuddle with, and how she hated that she could see and feel my rib bones, BUT... she's gotten over it now that she realizes I am happy where I am and I won't change for anyone except myself. Your husband will adjust as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I read recently that your body burns an extra 300 calories per day during TOM, so that may be why you're losing that week.
I'm more hungry that week, so I ususally gain some during that time
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Maybe try raising your calorie intake a little just before and during your TOM? It's possible that your metabolism is increasing a little during that phase and that the calories you're eating aren't keeping up with your body?

Maybe boost cals another 100 or so on a daily basis and then make a concentrated effort to add another 200 per day during your period ... things like a little healthy fat, and not just carbs.

I know it's a problem *I* would like to have,but I also totally understand how after a point it is a real problem.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #9  

NightengaleShane - Maybe he IS just surprised by the difference. I hope it's something he'll get used to!! I may not get used to it, though....I'm depressed by my newfound lack of volume in the chest area!!!

DDC - That's interesting....I can see how the body would burn more calories, as it's doing more work. Good thought!!

PhotoChick - All signs are pointing to more calories. I'll stay stable with the 1,700 calorie area for now, and see how it pans out. Maybe I'm almost there!!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #10  

Mindi, I understand your newfound lack of chest volume... to an extent I went from busting out of D cups at 175 pounds to barely filling C cups at 120-125. I also have a few tips for you in that area:
Build your shoulders and back. Do strength training to focus on those muscle groups. Do push ups. Do chin ups. This will help you look more filled out in your upper body region which will make you look more well-endowed in the breast area as well as give you the illusion of having a slimmer waist. And the slimmer your waist gets, the bigger your boobs look!

DDC, wow I had no idea that our bodies burn an extra 300 calories per day during the TOM. NO WONDER we're craving chocolate
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #11  

Also, Mindi, may I ask what other indicators you have that could potentially lead to a health problem? If they're incredibly personal, you don't have to answer, of course
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Mindi - I'd say try upping your cals by 200 instead of just 100/month. Since you are still losing quite a bit, and you sound like you're unhappy with how thin you've gotten, it seems safe to bump it in higher intervals. With your activity level it sounds to me like you could probably safely eat 2000/day without gaining.

If you bump it up by 200/day for a month, and you gain, well, you'll know it was too much, AND you'll be closer to your ideal body instead of too skinny! Then you can drop it back down.

If you continue to bump it up past there and are still losing, go see your doctor. Unexplained weight loss can be related to a number of things, but I would definitely second getting your thyroid checked out. I knew someone who started working out, then was shocked at how much weight she was losing, stopped working out, and kept losing weight. It turned out she had hyperthyroidism! That's the opposite of hypothyroidism, which can cause unexplained weight gain. It's an easy blood test.

Good luck!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #13  

NightengaleShane - I went from a 38D to what I am now...measured by Victoria's Secret at a 32/34 and between a B and a C. I wear a C because it fits better... pushups, huh....I think I could do some of those now.

Well, on the health indicator thing, it's nothing personal at all. I started having issues with weird nerve pain/numbness. I noticed it first in my left hip when I'd sleep on that side...I'd turn over and the pain would be HORRIBLE. Now it's just numb a lot. Then it moved into my right side, around rib-level, with extreme pain. Then into my left elbow (numb at first, to the point where it felt like it'd been injected with novacaine, then shooting pains. It's still kinda numb. Then above my right breast with pain, and now back underneath my right arm. I had blood test and x-rays done, and nothing came back unusual.

I'm also, for several months now (and off and on my whole life) had issues with when I stand up. For a few hours in the morning, and some in the afternoon, when I first get up or stand up I'll get incredibly dizzy, my ears will ring a bit and I'll try to "black out." Again...blood tests after fasting showed my blood sugar was ok, but maybe my blood pressure drops? Not sure why.

paperclippy - True...I could gain a few pounds and still be ok. Just the thought of seeing the scale rise after wanting and wishing and hoping and praying for it to fall every week for so long...scary!! I'll get it up, though. It's just hard to eat more! I'm eating all I can stand to eat now. Maybe higher calorie good-for-me foods...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #14  

MindiV, you *could* have a mild form of something called orthostatic intolerance, which is basically a significant drop in blood pressure upon standing. There is a chance that your brain and heart may not be communicating properly. If this is the case, it is hard to detect medically because your blood pressure while sitting down is most likely perfectly normal. The only way to know for sure is to get something done called a tilt table test. Weight loss is not a relevant symptom of orthostatic intolerance, though; there is no real connection.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #15  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Mindi~ Just thought i would charm in on the dizzyness when standing. Have you had your blood pressure checked lately? If it gets worse i would ask your doctor for a tilt table test. It could also be something called neurocardio genic syncope. Maybe try upping your sodium intake to help with the dizzyness. It may help with the weight loss as well
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote