Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Midwife~thanks for the post--very informative. I agree with the whole Vegas thing, too.

Jessica~I can commiserate with you and your ants. I have them, too. I've done just about everything and to no avail. There's a website called How to get rid of anything--nothing it suggested helped. I have very few in my kitchen (thank goodness) but they've attacked all four bathrooms. Lately, I spray with Raid Ant spray (usually I hate the smell, but they've come out with one in a turquoise can that has a better scent--it's supposed to be unscented, but you can never really get rid of it entirely).

Yesterday at CSU Fullerton's new student orientation was nice. It was a lot of sitting, but I learned quite a bit. DD has her fall class schedule--15 credits with 5 or 6 music classes, math, honors seminar (some English requirement) and computer programming. I think she'll do quite well. She has a busy Monday, but the rest of the week is quiet and she'll have 3 day weekends so if she wants to come home to do laundry, she can. I know that laundry will be the biggest reason she'll come home! I'm pretty realistic there--she isn't one to get homesick.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #17  
Meg

Jessica, wow, your improvements are really impressive! It would be wonderful if you can eventually get your pain level down to zero.

I've got ants too and ended up spraying, then putting eight of the ant traps all around the kitchen. So far it's working.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My "me" day was awesome. I don't know about you all, but I love having time by myself in my own home. It's just so nice to be the only one home. And it's just the two of us; I can only imagine how precious time like that would be if I had kids.

Meg: My knee is feeling much better today and even when it is at its worst, I can still do the elliptical and spinning (and swimming, of course). Today I did the elliptical, intervals on the stepmill, and a brand new exercise--the rowing machine! I wanted to do a spin class but they were all at impossible times. But based on how my knee feels today, I think I should be back to running intervals on the TM by Thursday. I'm just not going to be able to run outside for a while. But that's not the end of the world, I can't run outside in warm summer temps anyway.

Jessica: We get ants with some frequency in our kitchen. A couple of things that help are spraying them with a mixture of water and dishwashing soap (I use about 2 parts water to 1 part dishwashing soap). This kills them and helps eliminate the odor trail. Then we use caulk to seal up any holes where we find them coming in (although they are very devious and will sometimes fine another way in). We also use a non-toxic ant spray. It's similar to Raid, but contains all natural, non-toxic ingredients and is safe to use around pets (and doesn't smell as bad). We get it a Ace Hardware. Finally, we are super vigilant about not leaving any food or dirty dishes out overnight. That's an invitation for an ant party for sure. The combination of these methods keeps the problem under control. We still get ants from time to time, but it's infrequent enough that we can deal with them. Congratuations on all the progress you made in PT.

DGAdDawg: I couldn't live without my iPod. I can exercise with a bum knee, but without my ipod, I don't think so. I left mine at my parent's house in Chicago earlier this year and I made my step mom overnight it to me, so that I wouldn't have to survive a single workout without it.

Michele: The guilt from off-plan eating is always tough. Sometimes it helps me to remind myself of how many calories I ate and how many calories over maintenance I have to eat to gain a lb. A candy bar is probably a few hundred calories, 500 or 600 at the most. To gain one lb, you have to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance level. So, probably that one candy bar isn't going to make much of a difference. This is just a blip; so long as you get back on plan, one candy bar or even a weekend with some poor choices isn't going to undo all your hard work and progress. I tell myself that if I just get back on track, in a few days I will have forgotten all about this blip and it will be like it never happened (and that's ways true). Sometimes I do end up gaining a few lbs back from off plan eating (vacations, etc.)--then my mantra is that I lost the lbs once, I can lose 'em again. I do sometimes long for the days when I could eat without guilt. I'm sorry that your family isn't being supportive. Maybe it's time for a family discussion to explain how much pain and guilt their efforts cause you and that, ultimately, they are likely to backfire, only making you more obsessed about food.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Question for my upcoming vacation. I actually have a few this summer..... Houston in 10 days but I know how I should eat there (whether I do or not is the question!).
Mid July we are going to a "Dude Ranch" in Mexico. It is for a week and we will be riding horses all day every day (unless I get tired of it, then I can opt for massages and hot tub time!). Meals are going to be a complete unknown though and I'm already starting to stress. I don't know if I'll have any choice in what I get served. If I do, I will make the best choices possible. If I don't, what should I do? I don't really speak Spanish (though my dd speaks somewhat). I could get her to ask for specific diet requests for me. Or I could just not worry for a week and assume I'll be getting lots of exercise... What do you all do on vacation or business trips where you have little if any control over the foods served to you?

I am (mostly) over my guilt on my candy bar. It was a smaller candy bar so the calories weren't too terrible. I went to the gym first thing this morning and worked hard. Now not to have a repeat performance!

I have spoken to my family about their support. Their support of what I'm doing ebbs and flows. I may have to speak to them again. They don't mean anything hurtful.

Thank you all for the support!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #20  
Meg

Michele, I vote for "making the best possible choices". This is vacation, so not time to stress about special requests! And I've lost weight on vacations using that "best choices" strategy when I didn't have control over what was offered. Like you said, you'll be outdoors and exercising, so relax and go with the flow. You'll be just fine.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #21  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I'm back from my trip to New Hampshire for my friend's wedding and straight into a work week where I'm out on the boat doing field work almost every day. It's hot out there! My trip was so much fun, but I was working the whole time. The other bridesmaids, the bride, and a few family friends set up, decorated the whole venue for 2 days. I made and frosted 100 cupcakes (the bride helped while she also made her music playlists, the other bridesmaids slept in - thanks a lot for the help!). We bought last-minute things like extension cords, tape, glasses for the groom to step on (the "Mazel Tov!" part). etc. etc. Food was rather disastrous. What amazed me is that I still didn't eat much of the candy the other girls were eating, or the McDonalds, or eat every time they ate their sugary foods (I did eat some candy and junk, just not as often as others). But I still felt that I was eating a bunch of junk, and I wasn't eating 1/2 of the candy they ate, and they are stick thin. But there is no use dwelling on these things, I can't change my metabolism or the way my body works.

I'm afraid of the scale so I'm avoiding it for a few days while my body expels lots and lots of water. I did stop at my favorite city grocery store on the way home from the airport and stocked up on fresh fruit & veggies, yogurt, salmon, etc. etc. I missed my fresh food!

I'm sorry that I don't have time to respond to everyone's posts right now, but hopefully I will be able to tomorrow. I just wanted to say hi and admit my trip was not a very healthy one, but I'm back OP now.

Last edited by Megan1982; 06-17-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #22  
Constant Vigilance

Michele: Honestly, when I'm on vacation, I'm only so-so about even making good choices. For the most part, when I'm on vacation, I'm off plan. I eat what I want and don't worry about the calories. It's a vacation, I don't want to have to feel like I'm depriving myself. I don't bother with special requests, unless I really just don't like what is being served (especially if a language barrier applies).

It usually ends up not being that bad because it's not like when I'm home and food is available constantly. When I'm on a vacation, I might not have much choice in what I eat, but I also don't have much choice in when or how often I eat. I can't just open the fridge and eat whatever is there. So although I'm eating foods that are higher in calories than what I eat at home, I'm often eating less frequently (usually half the number of times that I eat when I'm home) so I'm not eating quite as much in terms of volume. I've done far more damage on binges at home or at my parents (where I can just open the fridge and inhale), than I've done on vacation.

I do usually try to exercise, but it sounds like you'll be getting plenty of that. I also usually skip dessert. I'm usually full and my SO and friends aren't dessert eaters either. And I stick to my no beverages with calories unless they also have alcohol (which you know negates the calories --I wish!) and try to keep portion sizes reasonable. Other than that, I don't really worry about calories when on vacation. I will admit that I definitely had lots of vacations where I gained a few pounds, but I've never had one where I wasn't able to lose whatever I gained.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #23  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hello everybody,
My business keeps me extremely busy, but I wanted to update. Been maintaining my 25 pound weightloss for 15 months as of today. I still only weigh in once a month and todays weigh- in 145, so still right on target maintaining my 25 pound loss. This makes me grin from ear to ear, maintaining my loss & not being scale obsessed was a huge victory for me! ~Wendalyn
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #24  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning

It's an upside down day for me today. I have an evening meeting so going into work around mid-day. Why does it always seem there's so much more to do in the mornings when I'm home than at night?! I just set up 6 trays of rhubarb and one of strawberry rhubarb leather in the dehydrator. Now I'm off for a bike ride. Oh yeah, and there was a load of laundry in there too!

I love the vacation tips. We plan to take several 3-4 day camping trips instead of a more expensive trip this year. I just have to stick to my resolve to bring food and eat the food I bring. After hiking, biking and/or swimming I get lazy and start looking for restaurants. Some places that works, others not so much.We bought a new camp stove that I love so hopefully that will help. Cooking was much easier this last trip.

Have a good day!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #25  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the ant tips everyone! I re-vacuumed the carpets last night, then wiped the trail up with soapwater this morning. There were fewer ants this morning so hopefully they are going to stop coming in soon without us having to poison them. It's funny how they never even went into the kitchen -- they were just picking up really really tiny crumbs from the carpets. I might do another round of vacuuming tonight.

Megan - welcome back!

Michele - I am guessing what food they serve depends on whether it's geared toward americans or whether they just serve the local food. AFAIK authentic mexican cooking involves lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, as opposed to the kind of stuff you get at taco bell. Usually when I go on vacation, I go on a food vacation too and eat whatever I want. I still end up choosing healthier dishes in general though because my tastes have evolved to prefer more veggies and fruits and less meat and oil.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #26  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I slept almost 9 hours last night and feel like I'm getting over my trip exhaustion. This is definitely one of those "need a vacation after my vacation" scenarios. Yesterday I went to the gym for some elliptical and cooked Chicken & Spinach Lasagna and steamed green beans for dinner. Along with protein pancakes for breakfast, salmon and salad for lunch, cherries, blueberries, walnuts, and yogurt throughout the day, my body felt so much better and I just enjoyed my food so much. Every time I go off plan on a trip it reminds me how much I really enjoy my lifestyle coming back! I try to remember this feeling when I do want junk or to skip working out.

I've taken some trips (vacations or business trips) where I was able to exercise and/or make decent food choices, or had control over what I ate. I've also had trips where I went off the deep end and gave in to the unhealthy foods offered to me, ate too much, or didn't exercise like I could have. On those trips where I just did the best with what was available to me, I felt good about myself and usually came home with the scale being kind. I try to focus on the purpose of the trip (a business conference, or a wedding, e.g.) and enjoy it rather than let food upset me or stress me out too much.

Jessica, I'm so glad to hear you've made such progress with your PT. Good luck with the ants. We had a bad case in the apartment I lived in growing up, and our landlord resorted to professional chemical sprays every few months, which I'm not crazy about. It sounds like your non-chem methods are working ok - I agree, block the holes and get (and keep) the crumbs out of the carpet to not tempt them. Could you rent a steam cleaner to really clean the carpet thoroughly?

Cyndi, I think that's a common phenomenon - there's always more to do in the AM when you're trying to get out the door. Sounds like you always have very active vacations!

Wendalyn, congrats on maintaining your loss for 15 months!

Barbara, your day to yourself sounds lovely. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Midwife, thank you for posting your experiences in Las Vegas. Definitely food for thought.

Anne, I'm glad to hear that you and DS are doing well. You must be enjoying your coffee!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #27  
Constant Vigilance

Megan: I find traveling vacations exhausting too! They're fun but they definitely take a lot of energy. I always plan a "re-entry" day when I get home--an extra day off where I have nothing to do (except maybe all that laundry from the trip). I also love taking vacations where I just stay home.

Jessica: I agree with Megan, I think steam cleaning the carpets might also help with the ants. I didn't pick up on the fact that you had carpeting in the room where the ants are a problem.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #28  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning.

At last we are having some weather here. It got nice on Monday afternoon, and has continued. I've cut my grass, washed curtains and hung them out to dry, and transplanted a bunch of flowers from a friend! We also at dinner on the deck last night. And for a true Alaskan experience, a moose strolled through our back yard while we were eating.

barbara - I too have to have a day at home when I come home from vacation (love the term re-entry!) I have only one planned vacation this summer, when a GF and I drive a friend's car to SE Alaska. Friend and DH are on their boat, which they picked up in Seattle area, and will leave in SE AK for next winter. She left her car with her son, and we'll get it from him and have a week-long road trip. I've already got B&B reservations. Friend is paying the gas, of course. DH and I will do some weekend camping I'm sure, and hopefully my sister is coming to visit in late August. So, for me, a quiet summer.

Jessica - glad you've been able to deal with your ant problem without poison. My folks lived on the gulf coast of Florida for years, and had all sorts of insect problems, including termites, which they just sprayed for regularly.

Not much exciting here. DH is back from fishing - fishless! He'll go again in another week or 10 days. Sooner or later we'll have salmon for the winter.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #29  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Pat - how do you defrost your frozen salmon? I buy frozen fish at the grocery since it's hard to get good fresh fish here, but then it never turns out tasting like fresh fish would have. I've tried defrosting in the refrigerator and under cold water . . . It just seems more mushy or something.

Megan - I'll look into renting a steam cleaner. Lord knows our carpets could use it! I've been trying to talk DH into hiring carpet cleaners but he doesn't want to pay that much, so maybe renting a cleaner could be a good compromise.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

Jessica - I'm kinda of a last minute person, or maybe it's that I'm only half awake in the morning, so I never think to take it out, so I usually end up using the defrost setting on my microwave. If it's a weekend, I defrost it in the fridge. I always unwrap it and put it in a dish and cove with plastic wrap. If it's a roast that I'm going to bake, I don't care if it's 100% thawed when it goes in the over. Filets thaw much faster anyway. I'm afraid, though, that frozen fish is never going to be the same texture as fresh - the ice crystals break down the structure of the flesh. Freezing in vacumm sealer like a Food Saver keeps it better than regular freezer bags, and of course you never want to freeze it in the supermarket wrapping.

We rented carpet cleaners a couple of times - not a fun thing IMHO! We have only 2 carpeted rooms, and so we suck it up and pay the cleaners their minimum which was $75 last time, but it's much better for our marriage.
Closed Thread