Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #1  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Default The paradox of weight loss

When I first decided to start losing weight, of course I wanted to feel better and be healthier. As I started feeling better and having more energy, my goals changed some and suddenly another very important reason for losing weight was pure vanity. I wanted to look better. I was tired of wearing big boxy shirts that came past my rear with long pleated pants, or a similar outfit. I daydreamed about wearing cute little sundresses, or a pretty sleeveless blouse with a skirt, or any other outfit that I would have avoided when I was so heavy. Now I can finally fit into these clothes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way I look in them. But, there is no possible way I can wear them anywhere. Why? It's too COLD. Every restaurant, store, even church and my workplace is so cold. I can't leave the house without a 3/4 or longer sleeve, and I have to have a jacket on most of the time as well. Sandals are out, otherwise my feet will freeze all day long. Skirts are out for the same reason. Too cold! So what am I wearing all of the time? Long sleeved shirts and long pants AGAIN (minus the high waisted pleats at least)! There is no place in Mississippi that I know off that doesn't have air conditioning. How they can all afford to have them running at what feels like 50 degrees is beyond me! Of course, that was comfortable at 346 lbs, but not anymore.

I went shopping over the weekend. At first it was fun to see all of these cute little tops and skirts that looked great on me, but I knew it would be a waste to buy them. I wouldn't be able to wear them anywhere comfortably. So now, I'm very close to my goal, happy with how I look in clothes, but too cold to wear anything sleeveless or even short sleeved, skirts, sandals, or shorts. Not that I'm wanting to gain weight back to warm up or anything....

Am I doomed to long sleeves and long pants year round or do you think I'll eventually warm up? I've been maintaining for about 8 months now, after a slow weight loss that began in 2005. I keep thinking it will get better.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Tammy, it took me almost exactly a year to start feeling normal again. I can do t-shirts and tank tops now, and even capri pants with them. I'm barefoot much of the time.

8 months out, I was still having shivering episodes periodically...I'd get SO COLD all of a sudden. It did even out, but it was atrocious.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It took me about a year, also, to get thermostatically (I made that word up) adjusted again. So, hang in there. Maybe next year you'll be able to wear those cute little tops and skirts.

Just be sure and carry a sweater with you at all times.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

Thanks, Amanda. Maybe there is some end in sight then. I know people must think I'm crazy because I practically run through the frozen foods, meat and dairy aisles at the grocery store, slinging items in my buggy as quickly as possible. Iced drinks in restaurants start me shivering and my teeth chattering. I'm sitting here in my office wearing a long sleeve shirt and a denim jacket, the thermometer reads 80 degrees and I'm still a little chilly. Luckily, I have an outside entrance, so I go stand in the 90 degree sun to warm up every couple of hours.

Shelia, I never leave home without a sweater or jacket. Thermostatically - I'll have to remember that word.

Of course, being hot, sweaty and red-faced all the time at 300+ lbs was no picnic either. I must remember that, I must remember that, I must remember that!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

3 years out, still freezing. I have a blanket over my lap in the office today.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Thanks, Amanda. Maybe there is some end in sight then. I know people must think I'm crazy because I practically run through the frozen foods, meat and dairy aisles at the grocery store, slinging items in my buggy as quickly as possible. Iced drinks in restaurants start me shivering and my teeth chattering. I'm sitting here in my office wearing a long sleeve shirt and a denim jacket, the thermometer reads 80 degrees and I'm still a little chilly. Luckily, I have an outside entrance, so I go stand in the 90 degree sun to warm up every couple of hours.

Shelia, I never leave home without a sweater or jacket. Thermostatically - I'll have to remember that word.

Of course, being hot, sweaty and red-faced all the time at 300+ lbs was no picnic either. I must remember that, I must remember that, I must remember that!
I positively DREAD the frozen sections and the grocery store in general... kind of a shame because it's one of my favorite places! DF always shakes his head when I "bundle up" to go grocery shopping in the middle of the summer...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #7  
Mel

I'm still cold a lot of the time unless I eat a lot of carbs. Then I'm hot and sweaty and feel awful.

It does get better...then you'll get hot flashes nature is full of cruel tricks.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #8  

Though I've maintained my weight loss for only 6 months, I, too, am very frustrated with being cold all the time. Today, I'm sitting inside my house--outside it's about 50 degrees--and I have on my winter pajamas and a heavy bathrobe and am wrapped up in a blanket. With all those layers, I'm cozy. I still turn on my electric blanket. My family gives me lots of crap about always being cold. I can't figure out how to stay warm! Though I love my newfound slim world/lifestyle, I hate always being cold!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It's so true! I dreamed of being able to wear sleeveless shirts, camisoles, shorts, sundresses, etc. and now that they look good on me, I still can't wear them because I'm so cold all the time!

Sometimes it feels like the only place I'm warm is in my car. Then I am so warm, I get sweat spots on my pants. There's no happy medium. I'm either freezing or dripping sweat. There are times when I've been cold and sweating at the same time--how can that be?

I've been accidentally maintaining for two years now and I have to admit that I'm really starting to wonder if/when it's going to get better. I just want to be able to wear cute sleeveless shirts and sundresses. Is that too much to ask?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

July 4th will be one year since I hit my initial goal, 135 lbs. I am still painfully, painfully cold in places where most people - are not.

The freezer section as well as the refrigerated section of the supermarket are agony for me and I dread it. I went to a party on Saturday and had on a cute little fitted cap sleeved wrap shirt and then realized I would probably be miserable. I didn't want to bring a sweater because that would cover up the cute little shirt, so I changed into a long sleeved blouse. I was frozen anyway and my DH offered to give me his jacket. I didn't want to cover up the long sleeved blouse, even though it wasn't as cute as the cap sleeved shirt. Then I started to eat - and then I continued to eat. I drank too. I warmed up.

As far as the hot flashes that Mel mentioned. Well, having lost all the weight, I was thrown into menopause and completely passed over the "hot flashes" stage. Not complaining about it - much. I guess it's just one of those things I will never experience.

But you're absolutely right Tammy. Being almost 300 lbs and always, ummm, insulated was no picnic either. I will try and keep that in mind the next time I'm shivering with goosebumps on my arms when everybody else is nice and toasty. I'll also try and remember it when my nose is constantly running because I'm so darn cold.

I must say, I really feel like an oddity at times.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #11  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I'm actually kinda looking forward to this phenomena, because it is so blazing HOT out where I live! I'm looking forward to saving on A/C costs!

Winter will be another story, but I just wanna survive the blast furnace of summer for now.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 05-20-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

You're cold in Mississippi? I hear you though, lost a bunch of weight and I was always cold. Didn't help that welived on the Puget Sound and there was a lot of cool winds in the summer.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'm still cold a lot of the time unless I eat a lot of carbs. Then I'm hot and sweaty and feel awful.

It does get better...then you'll get hot flashes nature is full of cruel tricks.

Mel
While I don't think I'm quite entering menopause yet, my coldness has started to dissipate. It is one of a couple of things: I've gained 5 pounds so I have a bigger layer of fat or the fact that we had a record breaking 113 degrees yesterday! I do agree that carbs warm you up. I am usually coldest when I eat a diet high in protein and low in carbs.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannanA View Post
You're cold in Mississippi? I hear you though, lost a bunch of weight and I was always cold. Didn't help that welived on the Puget Sound and there was a lot of cool winds in the summer.
Crazy isn't it! But inside is where it's so miserable. Every building you enter has central air/air conditioning. And it's always on full blast.

I've been hearing about your record breaking temps in CA and AZ, Alison and AppleCheeks. Even though I'm complaining, I will admit that at least if you're cold you can always put on warmer clothes. Not quite as easy when it is sooo hot.

Mel, I would almost say that I look forward to menopause, except I think I went through hot flashes in my 30s. (I've not had a period in years and years and years). I always thought it was from the "insulation" , as Robin calls it, but DH swore it must have been hot flashes. No "flashes" there, just a long slow burn.

Barbara, funny you mention the car. After being cold all day at work, I love those first few minutes in the car. It's like a toasty little fire.

And yeah, I've experienced the carb warmth too. When I have a carb binge, I can feel my face getting warmer, then it seems to spread til I'm actually comfortable.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Tammy, I was freezing after weight loss too. For me it actually got worse as time went on . . . until I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism! (By that point, at work I was wearing two sweaters and a winter coat and drinking hot tea continuously all day.) Now that I'm on medication for that, I am not nearly as cold as I used to be. I still take a thin sweater with me when I go out in case of chilly A/C though. Anyway, it is probably just from the loss of fat, but getting a thyroid test never hurt anyone.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote