Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: May 19 - 25

Hola from New Mexico! I'm sitting here in DD's dark kitchen with two dogs snoring at my feet. There's a full moon setting over the mesa behind the house and something tells me that I'm not in Pittsburgh!

We were lucky and had no problems on our flights here. I had packed lots of airplane food and did fine there, but it's been more challenging since we've arrived. All I can do is my best this week!

DH and I will spent one more day here in Albuquerque and then tomorrow we're heading south for a few days.

Still hanging in there, Anne?

Let's have a great week!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

The weekend was full of emotional ups and downs for me. BF took me out to dinner Friday and we went sailing w/ friends Sunday, and had a lot of fun with both, but I don't know - I was just all over the map emotionally. Geez I hate being so moody and crazy. I can't help but wonder since my eating has been far from perfect if that's involved. I certainly ate some simple carbs that tend to make my blood sugar wacky. I believe I ate well over 2000 a day, probably closer to 3000 the last few days. It is stopping now.

NSV: On Saturday morning I was at the gym doing a NRLW Stage 5 workout. A woman who I think I've seen a few times introduced herself and explained that she's opening a gym in the next town over and was looking for a trainer to take over classes when she's out of town, do some training, etc. She said I was "obviously very dedicated" in my workouts. I told her I was self-taught and didn't have any sort of training experience, and she responded "you've taught yourself very well". I told her I have a full-time job that I'm happy with, but I still felt very complimented. It reminds me to stop this silly emotional eating and keep myself in line!

Meg, enjoy your trip!

How was everyone's weekend?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Good morning everyone. I just posted in the No Excuses thread and feel that I need to hang around in there for quite some time. It's time for me to get back in line . I'm still smoke-free (17 days now), and it seems I have exchanged cigarettes for carbs. So, gotta get that straightened out.

I have a Dr.'s appt for 1PM today and dread seeing the number on the scale. I'm gonna ask the Dr. for a medication for stress/depression. I seem to be waking up with panic attacks during the night. Most of my stress is from my son being in Iraq. The rest is from Shelbey wanting to go live with her sister (after we just now finally gained custody of her). I don't think she should be allowed to pick and choose where she lives and move from one house to another. DH doesn't seem to agree with me. I'm so mad at him right now I want to tell him to go with her.

I took some of my stress out last night by ripping out the carpet in my son's bedroom until 2AM. Then pounding up that tack board. I have that room all nicely painted now and the floor is ready for the wood laminate to be installed. Come to think of it, I'll let DH stay for now cause I have more work for him to do. LOL.

Meg, hope you have a nice vacation.
Megan, that is quite a compliment. WTG.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My weekend was great! Saturday evening my friend and I went for an ice cream cone at a small place that has homemade. I planned for it ahead of time in my "food budget." Yesterday we went for Thai food in the evening, and I carefully watched my portions (and planned ahead). I brought the rest of my plate home for lunch today. Yummy! And today I am down almost to 150, so I'm pretty happy. This afternoon I'll be off to the gym for the exercise bike.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a great weekend. I got so much done on Saturday and Sunday and even managed to get in a run. I haven't run since my vein procedure and I was wondering if I'd ever get back to doing it. DH and went for a 3 mile walk on Sunday and I ran the last mile home. I'm still contemplating whether or not to get up early to run tomorrow--I am a bit sore. I know I should but the heat has been stifling here (lows in the mid to high 80's and highs around 110). It is expected to cool down later this week.

Oh, and I should be getting my Mother's Day present later this week. I hinted to the kids that I wanted the Wii Fit (since DS has conveniently "left" his Wii in the family room--so much easier for playing guitar hero!). I figure as long as his toy is there, I ought to take advantage of it. I'm looking forward to getting it! It comes out on Wednesday, so I hope to get it by Friday as DD preordered it and is having it shipped.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The theme around my house this week is going to be fava beans and chard. Both are in full production in the garden. Yesterday I made a spread out of pureed fava beans. We're having fava beans with dinner tonight and we're have chard in both the main dish and the side dish. This should hopefully make good dent in the chard, but the favas are coming in as fast as we can eat them.

The weather lately has been gorgeous, really warm and sunny. It made for a fabulous swim on Saturday morning. It was nice to be able to stand by the edge of the pool and not be freezing cold. I just hope the weather stays this way through our upcoming three-day weekend. I'm so ready for three days off!

Megan:
That is a awesome compliment! Maybe you should think about teaching a class or two; you might be able to get your gym membership paid for that way.

Meg: Enjoy your vacation in New Mexico!

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-19-2008 at 12:42 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #7  

Hi maintainers,

megan - that is a great compliment!

Lily - I take st johns wort pills for my mild depresion & anxiety issues. They are over the counter here, and are clinically proven to be effective. You sure lead an interesting life ! I hope things will work out to some peace & quiet in your family.

Today is day 1 of my resolution..1 additional good choice each day. I did NRWL 4B for the first time today 930 mins) and I biked to work and back 91.5 hrs), and right now I am struggling with email problems, so i will skip power class. And I am dying for some dessert, but I'll take some sherbet and strawberries instead.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning

Weekend was not stellar foodwise, but a huge success in destressing. I am much more ready to face the week. Speaking of which, I need to get ready for a meeting.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Lily, I am thrilled to hear that you are smoke free for 17 days. Just thrilled. I know you will do this.

You did make me laugh though when you said that you've exchanged cigarettes for carbs. The first thing that jumped out at me is, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could get some kind of "carb patch", like they have a nicotine patch? If only.......

I hope things get settled with Shelby - and your DH. Hopefully your doc can provide you with something that will ease your stress.

Megan, that really IS a nice compliment. You should feel very good about yourself.

Allison, it's great that you've gotten back into running. Do take it easy though. Those temps are HIGH.

Rabbit, good luck with your good choices. That desserts sounds quite yummy, if you aske me.

Barbara, your weather sounds simply stupendous. It is quite chilly herre today. In the 50's and very breezy. At least it's not raining.

Jay, sounds like you had a truly great weekend. Good to hear you so positive.

Pat, today is a new week and I'm sure you'll be right back to it, now that the weekend is over.

Meg, I have no doubt you will do your very best with what you are handed. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-19-2008 at 01:15 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi guys,

No more than 21 more days left. I'm not feeling so well, but time is now short. I'm at home now on a modified form of bedrest on doctor's orders and haven't been to work in almost a week. I'm allowed to move from couch to bed to bathroom, and get a quick shower and quick lunch. The number of contractions I'm having has been reduced to something more like normal, and at 36+ weeks now, I feel like we're over the hump. A couple more weeks is better of course, but I'm breathing easier now, metaphorically if not literally. DD is mad at me because I'm now on couch potato status and can't do too much with her, and we're getting lots and lots of "I want my Mommy". Nothing like a little guilt mixed into it all.

Sorry I haven't been too chatty lately, but I'm not in the most positive frame of mind. I'll try to touch base once a week until the boy makes his appearance and get back into things after he comes.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, I have found a great new way to eat less - difficulties swallowing. Last Wednesday, I was eating my usual bag of cut up veggies and had difficulty swallowing a baby carrot. Ever since then, I've felt like I have something caught in the base of my throat. Swallowing is difficult and how bad at it is varies, it's been very bad today, I could barely get down a cup of vegetable barley soup (have to stop and sip water with every bite to get it down). And the lump is there, all the time. It makes me feel vaguely panicky most of the time.

Went and saw my regular doctor on Thurs, but he couldn't do anything. I have an appointment tomorrow for an upper GI exam (some kind of barium swallow profile) and an appointment with a GI doctor in July (my doctor said if my swallow test had anything significant on it, he would get me in to see the GI doctor earlier).

I am trying not to attempt to self-diagnose over the internet (I do hope it's something simple like acid from GERD making my esophagus sore or sinus drainage) - so many of the accounts I've read online say they've suffered for years without any diagnosis or relief. I would hate to try to live this way.

Sorry for the venting, I just struggled with lunch so I'm thinking about it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #12  
Chuggin' along...

I would DEFINITELY buy a carb patch!!! But simple carbs from fruit would be allowed.

Glory, how strange that a carrot could cause such a change. Sorry you are having this discomfort. I hope it resolves itself.

Anne, you and the little guy are almost there. Hang in there!

Rabbit, adding 1 thing each day sounds like a great resolution.

Allison, glad you're getting back into running!

I'm off to the gym. I hope everyone is having a great day.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan - that is a great NSV!!!

I had a great weekend too. We went to an art fair Saturday and bought some nice pieces, then Sunday I went clothes shopping and got the cutest dress ever (posted on the spring clothes shopping thread). At the art fair, I had my choice of all sorts of off-plan food, but instead I opted for a salmon burger and sweet potato fries. Yum! Saturday I roasted a chicken for the first time ever. I think it turned out pretty darn well!

We had our last training session for our dog Carter. He is doing really well! We had a problem with him pulling a lot on his leash whenever we took him to a park or another new place, but our trainer introduced us to the solution . . . the "gentle leader." It puts the pressure point under the dog's chin instead of on his neck, so he doesn't have as much power to pull you. The idea is that we will use the gentle leader if he pulls a lot, and as he gets into the habit of not pulling we can gradually return to just a regular collar. Carter got used to wearing it in about five minutes, and we took him for a nice hour-long walk in the park with no trouble afterwards!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glory-- I hope you feel better and get some answers soon! I have a (minor) medical problem that I self diagnosed over the internet after seeing the doctor and him not knowing what it was (it is just a skin rash). But I read that it may last for weeks or months so I don't know if I should call the doctor back and tell him my diagnosis, make an appointment to see a dermatologist, or just do nothing because there isn't really anything to do about it anyway (if my expert diagnosis is correct!).

Anne-- so sorry you aren't feeling well but glad the end is in sight for you. I was on bedrest for 13 weeks with dd #1 and they were the longest 13 weeks of my life (and modified bedrest before that-- ugghh!).

Lily-- glad you are still smoke free but I'm sorry you are having panic/anxiety issues-- those are certainly no fun!

Personally I am very disappointed with myself and my weekend. Since I am newly maintaining, I am still figuring out what I can and cannot do. I worked out every day but had a few eating blips over the last few days-- truly not that many and not that bad-- but the scale is up almost 4 pounds! I can't believe it would be up that much so quickly, so I am not panicking-- I am sticking to plan and hoping it comes off as quickly as it went on!

It has been very hot here (it is cooler now). Has anyone ever experienced a weight gain if it suddenly gets hot? The temperatures increased about 30 degrees here over night and I was just wondering (or hoping) that maybe I was drinking more water and retaining fluid????
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
We had our last training session for our dog Carter. He is doing really well! We had a problem with him pulling a lot on his leash whenever we took him to a park or another new place, but our trainer introduced us to the solution . . . the "gentle leader." It puts the pressure point under the dog's chin instead of on his neck, so he doesn't have as much power to pull you. The idea is that we will use the gentle leader if he pulls a lot, and as he gets into the habit of not pulling we can gradually return to just a regular collar. Carter got used to wearing it in about five minutes, and we took him for a nice hour-long walk in the park with no trouble afterwards!

We use a gentle leader on our Great Dane,Jozi. It does work amazingly well. She still hates hers with a passion though. She tries to rub it off-- she will rub against anyone and anything. Especially when she is in public, she tries to look pitiful so people will feel sorry for her! I hope Carter continues not to mind his.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote