Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Michele - I love dogs! My parents had a great dane before I was born, and a great dane/rhodesian ridgeback mix when I was a baby/toddler. I always considered labs to be "small to medium" in size! I used to ride that dog like a horse when I was 2 or 3.
Every time we go to the dog park about 10 people ask where her saddle is or ask if they can ride her! And she is a fairly small Great Dane!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #47  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am hiding out in my computer room now to avoid seeing the brownies that Lacy and Shelbey are baking. I just don't feel enough in control to stop at one, so I will avoid them altogether.

Jessica, I too always thought of labs as medium size but no one thinks that when they see my fat Molly.

Last edited by lilybelle; 04-03-2008 at 09:28 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #48  

Default Frustration strikes again! UGH!

I am so tired of looking at the numbers on my bathroom scale. I've been going up and up and up, yet I haven't changed the way I eat. Ah, but I have a raging cold--my head hurts, my face hurts, and I just want to lay down and pull the covers over my head. So, I THINK I know that the weight gain is because my body is sick and focusing on getting better or fighting off whatever this dang bug is. On the other hand, I DON'T LIKE THAT SCALE GOING UP! I don't deserve a weight gain. I've been on program! UGH! If I'm going to gain, why can't I enjoy the food that would give me an honest gain. I have to be patient. I know that I'm sick, and I've learned that my weight will return to "normal" when I finally get better. Someone, reassure me!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #49  

Sorry you are sick! I hope you feel better soon! Remember, if you are drinking lots of fluids, you will be retaining water. It probably isn't a good idea to weigh yourself when you are sick.

That being said, how often do the rest of you weigh yourselves? I think I am scale obsessed. It is in my bathroom and I find myself weighing at least once a day and sometimes more. I try not to let the numbers bother me, but rather motivate me to go to the gym, etc. I weigh in at WW once a week so I know I shouldn't weigh so much at home, but I can't seem to help it!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #50  
lilybelle

goalsuccess, sorry you are sick. I've been sick quite a lot the last few months and I've also noticed that it hasn't shifted the scale in my favor either. Some of it was poor eating on my part. Some of it was not eating at all. No real exercise for me lately other than working on my house. I really think once we are well that the weight will start coming back off. I keep telling myself that.

Michele, I only weigh once a week. The daily fluctuation drives me nuts and makes me feel bad even when my eating is totally on-plan.

I am so proud tonite, I resisted the brownies that Lacy, Shelbey and Laura were eating while we played cards. I was hungry too so I ate an orange instead. Now, to just do that a million more times and I'll be back at goal.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #51  

Height: 5'7"

goal, a weight gain does not necessarily equal a fat gain. I'm sure you are just experiencing some of the normal fluctuations in hydration levels if you are eating and exercising on plan.

Michele, I weigh myself daily. I find I need to see the fluctuations to understand what is normal. The truth is that weight is never constant, and if I see a high or low number, I want to know if it is in the normal range or if it is something I need to take action on. That way I don't stress over every blip, at least when I'm eating on plan.

Lily, way to go on the orange.

Ah, a day off today. I plan to rest, have lunch with a friend, do a couple loads of laundry, rest, and put together my new double jogger, and oh yeah, rest some more. I'm sure I'll be going back and forth between birth shows and the Food network on TV.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #52  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

You know, I'm happy it's Friday, but usually I'm so relieved it's Friday b/c I'm sooooo tired. This week, I'm not tired. Hooray for sleep! Food is good. Plan April NANS (no alky no sweets) is going well. My roommate doesn't think I can do it, so I'm even more determined. Workouts are good. The body-weight matrix is still kicking my behind, in a good way.

Anne, enjoy your day of "rest"! Sounds like you are planning to get some chores done, too, but do get some extra rest in.

Lily, congratulations on resisting the brownie. Don't be so hard on yourself - you are sick and need to focus on getting your body well. That is your first priority. And don't worry about being "too depressing" - we are here for you!

Michele, goalsuccess, sometimes you need to just hide the scale from yourself, it can play too much with your head. Sometimes I weight daily, every few days, and occasionally I need to hide the scale in my closet and just weigh once a week. It can be a useful tool, but not if it's doing more psychological damage than good!

And like I told Lily - when you're sick, while you do need to think about your health, you don't need to be thinking about a number on the scale!

My parents lab is really fat too! He is small framed for a lab, but fat. There is no nice way to put it.

Jessica, I don't have experience w/ occupational therapy but it sounds like he, along w/ your new dr., are really taking you seriously and trying to help. I'm glad you finally seem to have found people who are helping you in the right direction.

Allison, how's your back today? Continuing to get better, I hope!

Baffled, lol, sorry about the post. Congrats on being smoke-free for 7 weeks!!! That is really an accomplishment!!!

Meg, we'd definitely have the healthiest sandbox snacks.

Freda, welcome! Hop on in.

Does anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #53  

Hi maintainers,

No exciting plans for the weekend.
I am somehow dead tired. But I had a great moment in Yoga class today: I was able to put my head to the floor while standing widde legged with stretched legs. I think that is great. Also, I went to get a haircut and i bought a gazillion cute clothes for DD and myself in the thriftstore.

Now let spring begin, I am so ready for it !

Have a great weekend all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #54  

Height: 5'1"

Default hi

Hi, I'm reading the posts, trying to get to know everyone a little better.

I think when we're sick our bodies kind of tell us what to do. It needs more rest, usually not more food, but something comforting. Chicken soup seems to work, old Jewish Penicillin. Just take care of yourself. Sometimes I find myself trying to medicate myself with food just to feel better though, I eat too much thinking it will help. You know it's not going to, but those bad habits die hard!

I'm a rehab nurse. We work with the therapy department. I hope you get some help there. I know all our therapists are very dedicated and caring. Some of their methoids seem a little outlandish, but they know what they're doing, so I don't question.

I weigh myself once a week. Any more than that drives me nuts. If I gain a pound (I haven't yet) I would wait a bit longer and maybe weigh every other day to see if it was a real gain and then get to work taking it off.

Congrats on not eating those brownies! Not sure I could have been that strong. And, besides, the "flat belly diet" says that you should add chocolate to your diet. I'm not really on that diet, don't know THAT much about it, but I have added some things to my own diet. Like using the good fat, and trying to incorporate some into every meal.

God make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Now that I am at goal I weigh every day and write my weight on my calendar each day, hoping I can see a pattern developing. I want to maintain my loss and have found that I have to be on red alert to keep my weight loss. This is something I have not been able to do in the past. These forums are so full of great information. I follow the advice by those who have been able to maintain their weight loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #56  

Lily-- that is impressive on the brownies! Brownies have to be one of my major downfalls. Willpower!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #57  
lilybelle

Anne, I hope you get to have a nice restful day.

Megan, I'm trying to be more cheerful about my current weight. It is starting to come down a little since getting back on the diuretic. I sure was retaining a ton of extra fluid. Right now, I badly miss going to the gym and am seriously hoping to be well enough by next week to start going again.

Baffled, big congrat's on 7 weeks smoke-free.

Thanks ladies about the brownie situation. I feel even stronger in my willpower today after being able to resist them.

My DD told me yesterday that when I went to the school that some of her friends that hadn't seen me in a long time commented on how "skinny" I am. This made me feel good cause I certainly haven't felt "skinny" in several months.

bargoo, that's a good idea that you have there. I admit that I am struggling right now, but feel like I'm back on track.

The bad news today is the school called and I had to go pick up Lacy. She couldn't quit vomiting again. I pray the Dr.'s can help her soon. It is causing her some major problems with depression. She cries and says "I just want to be like a normal teenager".

I've procrastinated as long as I can, so today I must go pay my bills.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning.

No change in my back today. I actually woke up in a little pain which isn't normal. But it hasn't gotten any worse--just kind of the same as yesterday. The only thing I did different is I used my massager on it for a few hours last night. Perhaps that was too much.

Anne~have a great day off!

Megan~isn't it funny how when someone says "you can't do it" it makes you more determined to do it? Just to spite them, or just to prove them wrong! My DD does this all the time!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #59  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone, TGIF! This week has gone by fast but I always like that better than weeks that drag on and on. I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

Freda and Megan - you're right, I do seem to finally have some competent people taking care of me who are doing something rather than sitting around saying "maybe it will get better, or maybe you have a terrible disease, so we'll just wait and see you again in 3 months." :P

No loss for me this week, second week in a row. I blame the recumbent bike (or maybe constipation ). Eating has been pretty on plan, but I just don't get a very good workout on the bike unless I bump up the resistance, but I'm afraid to change the resistance because it makes my knees hurt more. I must be the only person in the world whose knees hurt on a recumbent bike and an elliptical. I almost wish they were sending me to therapy for my knees instead of my wrists -- the wrists have been frustrating for longer, but if my knees felt good at least I could do half of the things I've had to cut out.

I'm thinking about signing up for a water aerobics class through our local parks department. The only problem is that it's at 7pm, when my ideal time would be 6pm or so. I don't really want to have to wait until 8 for dinner. Plus DH doesn't want to spend the money on it (don't tell him how much my haircut and highlights cost last night!!! ).

Anne - I hope you enjoy taking a rest!

Lily - great job avoiding the brownie! I wouldn't have been able to!

Michele - I weigh once a day (in the morning, naked). Sometimes I hop on the scale at the gym too (around 5:30pm), just to get a second monitor. My afternoon weight (with all my clothes on) is pretty reliably four pounds over my morning weight, so I figure that is pretty standard. It is nice to see that when my home scale goes down, so does the gym scale.

I finished reading Mindless Eating the other day. I posted about it on the Maintenance Library forum, but I just have to say that I used some of his techniques today! We had lunch provided at work again, and while I ate a big salad and a piece of bread instead of sandwiches and chips, I was really tempted by the cookies (as always). I almost went to get one, but I decided that I had both a "food policy" and I made a new "food trade-off." My policy is that I do not eat sweets or desserts on weekdays. Since that didn't seem to be helping me avoid the cookie (Panera bread double chocolate!), I told myself, "If you really want that cookie, then tomorrow you can go to Panera and get one." That was enough to convince me not to eat it right now, and I'm sure I will have forgotten about it by tomorrow.

For the record, this is my THIRD project meeting in a row where I resisted the cookies!!!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #60  

I have chosen to weigh myself daily. I don't get too crazy about the numbers on the scale, but I do watch to see what they do. If they go up, and up, and up, I start looking to see what I'm doing that could be encouraging that up and up and up. At present, though, with this nasty cold, I'm CERTAIN I'm eating as I usually do and yet am watching the scale go up. I'm choosing not to eat to make myself feel better; I just continue to eat as I do though I'm thinking soup will be a great choice for tonight. Today, the cold has now moved into my throat--feels like strep--lovely! I'm headed for walk in care on Saturday morning to get something to shoot this out of my system. With my luck, the meds they give me will make me gain more weight and then I'll really be upset. However, I am confident that once I am on the mend, the weight will go down. I've seen that happen with my weight firsthand, so I DO understand what's going on; I just don't like it
Lilly--way to go on the brownies, lady! I love chocolate, so I know that it takes a lot to say no over and over again. Yesterday, I had my first piece of chocolate in 15 months---one small square--a staff member brought me back a chocolate bar from Russia. I wanted a piece really bad, so I broke the bar into tiny pieces, took one of the smallest for me, and then took it around to everyone in the room and offered them the opportunity to try Russian chocolate. It worked. The entire bar was gone. I took slow small bites of my piece and actually left half of it beside my computer where it will still be on Monday when I go in and throw it away (unless there are mice at work). Was the chocolate fabulous? no. In fact, though it was dark chocolate, it was kind of flat. Not worth more time and attention than I gave it, but I kept the pretty Russian chocolate package
FYI: Though the scale says I'm gaining, I bought more smaller size pants today which fit nicely, so I'm just hoping and praying that this is my body fighting off this crud. Gosh! I hate being sick. I can't make myself take a break when I have homework to do, a house to clean, and the sun's out! My homework assignment is due on Wed, so have to work on it piece by piece this weekend, no matter what!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote