Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #61  
Meg

Lisa, my dad is Henry Junior and was known as "Hank" when he was younger to distinguish him from his father, Henry Number One. My brother is Henry III and we call him "Hen" as a nickname.

Hmm, the initials are HC. Wonder what you could do with that? "Huck"?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #62  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Lisa - congrats on the baby being a boy. Can't think of any other nicknames for Henry or Clay. You could aways go with initials or a generic nickname like Skip or Bud.

One good thing about having DH home since he's looking for a job, we're practice dancing every on our new wood floor in the family room. Still haven't moved the furniture back in since he laid it in January. We won't even think about moving them until after our dance party in May.

What's everyone doing and cooking for Easter? We're having MIL and nephew over and I'm cooking a traditional (but very small) ham. Planning on asparus and rice pilaf to go with it. Really simple.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #63  
Meg

We're having a leg of lamb with mustard sauce, spaetzle (German dumplings browned in butter ), and asparagus. This dinner is one of DH's family favorites. My family would be having the traditional ham, probably with au gratin potatoes.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Oy vey Lisa. This is a conundrum! I have a friend who's a Henry III (what is it with all the replicating Henry's!?!) and he goes by Hank. I've never cared for it. Huck is no better, Meg! Personally, I don't see why you should be hamstrung by the name choices of DH's great grandparents. Choose new names! Live on the edge. Perhaps Allwyn? Only kidding. I'm not even sure how you pronounce Allwyn.

Gary, March Madness is the ONLY sporting thing in which I have any interest. When possible, I get in on a tipping pool and select my bracket based on principles entirely unrelated to sports. (Usually its politics). Fun! It's been a few years since I've done it, but I just submitted my bracket last night. Yay.

Lily, get thee to the hospital. What is going on??!??!!

Good workout this morning and a good breakfast. I stayed on plan yesterday and the day before, but it's still a bit of a struggle. I am a complete freak of nature because, I kid you not, my 'plan' involves eating 2000 mostly clean calories a day, and I'm still HUNGRY ALL THE TIME. I blame the (NROLW) workouts and am half tempted to give them up just so that I can get my calories down. But this seems counter-productive, so I'm just here, trying not to starve to death on 2000 calories a day. (Seriously, what kind of a freak has this problem???! I must have the giantest appetite in all the land).

Keepin' on truckin'.

ETA: Two people posted while I was posting. Yikes. I must be exceptionally long-winded today.

Carolyn, all the dancing sounds fun! I'm glad to hear that you are feeling creative again. That's an excellent sign.

Meg: lamb, spaetzle and asparagus? I don't observe easter, but can I come for dinner?

Last edited by baffled111; 03-20-2008 at 02:48 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Some people call their Henry(s) Harry ... but there's just something sooo wrong with big Harry and little Harry.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #66  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Lisa, my husband is a junior and both he and his dad go by the same name, which I always found odd. I'd call the house back in high school and ask for Tom and I'd get, "Big Tom or little Tom?" which was funny, because my Tom is taller and skinnier than his dad so I never knew what to say. I'd always just stammer, "Um, this is Kara," and then get passed off. What's even more bizarre is that their first name is Ian. They BOTH go by a nickname of their middle name! So we named our son Connor Thomas. He is the fifth generation to have Thomas as a middle name, so we kept that and have a different first name to call him by. What if you used a new first name and kept Henry Clay as middle names? I have two middle names, since I kept my maiden name as a second middle name (my given middle name is my mom's middle name so I didn't want to give that up, and I'm proud of my heritage from my family so I didn't want to give up my maiden name either). He wouldn't be a IV, but he'd at least carry on the names.

Mmmm, peanut butter. You guys are driving me bonkers with all this talk about peanut butter. It's so very yummy!

Pat, good luck with all of your preparations and travel!

Lily, I hope you can get in to see the doc soon!

Allison, I have issues with wheat, even whole wheat, myself, but I find brown rice to be a great substitute. I actually buy brown rice pasta and brown rice bread. Quinoa is a good grain also, which has a lot of protein as well.

Carolyn, we're going up to my father-in-law's brother's house for Easter. He's a pastor and it's family tradition to go to his church and then have lunch at their house. I have no idea what they're serving, but I'm guessing I'll be having some veggie tray and maybe a roll to tide me over until we get home, as Easter isn't usually very vegetarian-friendly. I'm bringing a dessert, though. Can anyone smell trouble here? I do need to sit and come up with a plan for the day. And maybe write it out. And then staple it to my forehead.

Baffled, sorry about your 2000 calorie starvation diet! Hope your body adjusts after a couple days.

I am feeling fantastic today. This eating well is such a better deal than poisoning myself with junk. The kicker is that I really wasn't eating that much "junk", just too much. And I was totally on carb-overload. One morning I woke up all mushy and blah and my husband told me I looked like I had a hangover. A carb hangover! Isn't that funny?

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 03-20-2008 at 03:10 PM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #67  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post

Meg: lamb, spaetzle and asparagus? I don't observe easter, but can I come for dinner?
Only if we go to the gym first. It's open 8 am to 4 pm on Easter.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
Baffled, sorry about your 2000 calorie starvation diet! Hope your body adjusts after a couple days.
When you put it like that it does sound extremely ridiculous. <sighs>

I love quinoa though. I've been making and enjoying a quinoa, black bean and sauteed veggie salad recently. It's delish and you get a giant portion of it for very reasonable calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Only if we go to the gym first. It's open 8 am to 4 pm on Easter.
Lucky you! My gym is closed Sunday. Jerks. Perhaps it will be beautiful out and bf and I can go for our first long bike ride of the year... Steady state cardio is far less boring when you're on a bike, riding out among beautiful farmlands with a view of snow-capped mountains...
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Isn't Hank a common short form of Henry? I know what you're going through. It was common for my DH's family to name the boys after the middle names of the grandfathers. It turned out okay for my DH (James Burton) but my son would have been named Ralph Raymond. Yuck! We opted to name him James (for my DH) and then I asked DH who his favorite golfer was (Jack Nicklaus) so my son is James Nicklaus. As soon as I had filled out the birth certificate, DH announces he "doesn't want a junior" in the house. So we call him Nicky. Not a problem, except now that he's in middle school, he decided it's too much work telling all of his teachers that he goes by Nicky instead of James. So now we have a son that goes by Nicky at home (and all his elementary friends and our neighbors call him Nicky) and all his new friends and teachers call him James. What makes it the most confusing is that he's at that age when voices start to change. Some of his friends call, ask for James, and I can't tell if it's for Nicky or DH!!! By the way, once I got home, I found the perfect name....Aiden James. It would have been perfect. If only....(Besides it "goes" with my DD's name--Dana Jayne).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #70  
Working My Way Back Down

I have an uncle who is named Harry Herbert Hunt, his son is jr - and goes by Butch. His son is III, and goes by Chip, and his son, the IV goes by Skip. And I have a number of friends who go by their middle names. I tried that at one point - my middle name is Kathleen, and I was enamored of the name Kate. Of course the fact that Pat was common when I was growing up fed into that.... My sister and I were both named after family, and I still feel I got the better deal. She's Marjory Ruth.

Poor Baff, starving on 2000 calories! Wish I could eat that much.

Oh, big news. Well, medium. I was just over in our meeting room looking at donated books before they go into a book sale, and one of the volunteers sorting is a personal trainer at my gym. She's agreed to give me a couple sessions when I get back from vacation (for $$, of course). I wasn't sure she did individual training, as I've only seen her doing classes, though she's listed as a trainer. Woo-hoo, something to look forward to for when I get home.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #71  
Visualizing the Goal

Baff, I wasn't trying to be sassy. I hope you didn't take that "starvation diet" comment in a bad way. Sometimes I write without thinking first...

Allison, my husband decided to go by his first name (Ian) in second grade. That's the year after his parents got divorced, so I think he was in a bit of an identity crisis. I'm glad he went back to Tom - I like it much better than Ian. Maybe you could employ the "Big James or Little James" technique on the phone. It could work better for you?

Pat, those training sessions sound like fun! You'll have to let us know how they go.

I came over to pledge to you all that I'm finished eating for the night. I'm going to go brush and floss in a minute, but I needed someone to keep me accountable. Thanks!!!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #72  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

No Easter plans for me...I'm waiting until Passover to overeat!

baff - I can't imagine eating 2000 calories a day but what does it matter? Hungry is hungry no matter how many calories you've had. Is it possible you need to eat a bit more??

Meg - mmmm...spaetzle...yum!! Those are low carb right?

Kara - glad the eating's been going better for you. I was having the same problems as you, eating mostly healthy but way too much of it!

to everyone who celebrates it.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #73  
Working My Way Back Down

Easter, someone mention Easter? DH is leaving tomorrow so he won't be here = I don't have to cook! I'll go to church where the men are fixing breakfast, then to the service, and have a salad later in the day. That's my plan! There is no Easter candy in my house, though a bag of pastel M&Ms snuck into work today I kept a closed door between me and them.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #74  

Default For those who need to be reminded...have faith in what you're doing!

A week ago, I wrote that I had gained 6 lbs in two days. I was totally thrown by the gain and couldn't decide how I'd gained weight. Truly, I was very upset with 2-3 lb gains! I spoke with a weight loss counselor who told me to ignore the gain and know that I was doing what I was supposed to be doing but my body was getting whacked out for some reason. I was more than happy to ignore that huge gain. I kept at my "normal" eating as I went out of town for 8 days. I ate like I'd been eating, worked out, and made the smart decision to eat salads when I ate out. I chose not to weigh myself on the scale though I must admit that I got on a local Y scale after I worked out one day which said I was losing weight. I didn't know how accurate that scale was, so I waited. When I got home on Tuesday night, I got on the scale and saw I was 2 lbs lighter in the evening that I had been in the morning 6 days before. I weighed in this morning and lost 5 lbs. I'm learning lots of lessons and I try to keep track of them for future reference. For some unknown reason, my body was holding on to weight or water or whatever--5 or 6 lbs worth I guess. I had decided that if the scale wasn't down when I returned that I'd have to return to my weight loss eating, but I stuck with my "normal" eating and it worked (as I kind of knew it would). The reminder to everyone out there is have faith in your eating habits. If the scale goes up and you really really can't see why it would, maybe your body is whacked out a bit. Stick with it, give yourself a set time length to stick with "normal" eating, and then check. I hope you, too, will get a great surprise--or a lesson about believing in yourself and your ability to recognize when you screw up and when something is going on that you can't quite pinpoint.
I still have a question, though: Does anyone know about weird side effects of cinnamon? Does it encourage weight/water retention?
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #75  

Lily ? How are you doing ? Did you get to see the doc ?

Hi to all the other maintainers

goal - Yay for you ! You kept faith & it really was water weight.

I have to fly... lots of chores to do with this easter & birthday combo

Have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote