3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Spring Clothes Shopping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/135252-spring-clothes-shopping.html)

Meg 02-24-2008 05:57 AM

Spring Clothes Shopping

mj5 02-24-2008 06:33 AM

I was just thinking the same things yesterday! I was saying for the millionth time...I am so tired of being cold!!! Sick of the bulky coat, boots, etc... (of course, I realize it won't be long I will be complaining that I am too hot!)

I have a weakness for purses and shoes....I have found some great purses at fantastic prices lately at Kohl's (like between $4 and $7 for name brand leather purses! I know, doesn't help that addiction any!)

I am seeing the same colors you mentioned--as well as a great shade of blue--not sure how to describe it, though. Yes, it seems those walking shorts are back. They look ridiculous on me, too.

I haven't bought anything yet...other than the purses (a great buttery yellow one and a nice green, and well....you get the idea...) I am starting my Spring cleaning in 2 weeks, so I'll see what I need before I hit the stores. I'm not at goal weight yet, so while I want to look good w/ some wardrobe updates, I don't want to buy too much right now either.

Thanks for starting this thread....I may start poking around my closet to see what I have....

Meg 02-24-2008 06:43 AM

Hi MJ! Oh, I think I know the blue you're talking about -- is this it?

http://lizc.imageg.net/graphics/prod...322263v200.jpg

If so, I love it!

KatieK 02-24-2008 08:04 AM

Well I have not been letting the cold weather stop me from shopping--at least on line.LOL!!
I bought a really cute yellow Talbots jacket reversible with white polka dots --sounds strange but it is really pretty.
Also bought a top ( kind of Monet colors) when they had their 25% off tops sale.
Oh and two pair of jeans --white and turquoise-- gotta love those size 6 pants!!
Then Banana Republic had a gorgeous orange(!!) coat with a 15% off sale and free shipping which I am waiting to get--hope it's the right size.I am 5'4 " and I can do either regular small or petite.
How I justify all of this to myself is that a year ago this time I had not reached my goal weight -- and had not bought anything for years except big sweaters.
I started buying my new size clothes in summer; so still need things for spring and then I will have done a year's shopping for my new size :D and will not need to buy so much.
One thing I love about Talbots is that they will take returns anytime even if worn and with tags off -- though it's a good thing to save the tags so they can figure out how to refund the item.
I found this out by chance last year when after my size 8 capris --I had bought 3 or 4-- were too big, and I called up to order size 6s when they came on sale.
The woman I spoke to said "oh just return the size 8s".
I said but I have worn them and even washed them: she said "no problem".
I thought what a great policy!
However I try not to take advantage of it too much though I did buy a jacket in the fall and wore it a couple of times and I decided it did not fit properly so that went back too.
What a gorgeous blue color Meg!! What store did you take that picture from?

Mel 02-24-2008 08:19 AM

Wow- I didn't know you could return worn clothes without tags to Talbot! I have a few jackets that just plain don't fit right and I only wore them once or twice. I may be headed there this afternoon.

I was shopping for a new suit-ish type outfit (I'm ALWAYS cold at work, even all summer), and was dismayed at the styles and colors. Op-art prints in orange and lime> yuck. There were $150 MUMUS at Ann Taylor! Think Laugh-In styles from the 1960's- oh, yeah, most of you don't remember that!
Ugly, ugly, ugly! I may not be buying anything new this year. Hahaha, I know me... I'll be shopping anyway :dizzy:

Mel

Meg 02-24-2008 08:41 AM

I didn't know that either about Talbots! But I looked on their website and they say:

Unconditional Guarantee
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item for an exchange or refund. No time limit. No exceptions.

Let us know how it works out, Mel! And maybe you'll find something nice while you're there -- I haven't seen any geometric mumus in their catalog. I did buy this blue tweed jacket from them a few weeks ago (since I love blue!):

http://www1.talbots.com/images/886/D09886.jpg

Katie, the blue jacket is from the Liz Claiborne web site, here. It's on sale. ;)

KatieK 02-24-2008 11:48 AM

Mel it is probably important to have your original bill for Talbots.
Not sure how they figure out the refund price without it.
They may just use whatever the lowest sale price is if you don't have the original bill. Good Luck!
Love your jacket Meg --I'll have to check out their website again--haven't been on it for awhile!:D
I checked out the Liz Clairborne site as I think that blue is TDF but they don't have it left in the smaller sizes --bummer.

baffled111 02-24-2008 12:13 PM

Oooh. I haven't been shopping yet. I nearly took myself shopping the other day as a quit-smoking-reward, but since I'm carrying an extra 5lb in my tummy I decided against it. Meg, I need a new purse too and shoes, but it's no fun to make a 2 hour round trip drive and then not try on clothes when you get there. Any trying on clothes that won't fit properly is NOT fun.

But I do want to buy a new purse. The strap on my current bag is held on by a binder clip, and has been for about 6 months. I'm a high class gal. :)

Mel, I like mumus! I spent all of last summer searching for (and not finding) the perfect one. I'm a big fan of lounge wear and comfort for around-the-house.

Sheila53 02-24-2008 02:46 PM

I love looking at the fashions, but I don't ever go anywhere that requires anything but jeans or shorts and T-shirts. Last year I was so excited to buy a dress for my friend's 50th anniversary party--but that's the only time I've worn it. I guess I'll have to ask her if she'd like a 51st anniversary party so I can wear the dress again!

Mel 02-24-2008 04:05 PM

Baf- Those are not lounge wear! It's supposedly "career dressing" :p

baffled111 02-24-2008 04:56 PM

Mel, I think I don't know what a mumu is. I was thinking of those caftan things: giant, brightly colored sheets with a hole for your head and giant loose butterfly sleeves. Those are definitely lounge wear. :) Can you post a link for the AT mumus? I can't find them on the site.

Meg 02-24-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baffled111 (Post 2070404)
I was thinking of those caftan things: giant, brightly colored sheets with a hole for your head and giant loose butterfly sleeves.

Baff? Baff? This is your idea of comfortable, around-the-house lounge wear? Whatever happened to sweats and a T? :dizzy:

baffled111 02-24-2008 05:31 PM

Lol, well, I'm wearing leggings and a tee and slippers now, but in the summer, when its over 100 degrees out, I think I want to wear a caftan. Tee hee. I've been busted! Bf thinks I'm completely insane every time I announce that I want to get one.

Meg 02-24-2008 05:33 PM

I'm sure this has nothing to do with his impending cross-country move. Nothing at all.

(kidding!! :D )

Mel 02-24-2008 08:28 PM

I don't see them on the Ann Taylor site either...they were there in the store! a whole rack of swirly yellow and coral prints, gathered at the losish neckline and flaring out with short bell sleeves.

I found great shoes today at the Nine West outlet store and a few nice square neck t-shirts at Banana and a rust colored sweater, but other than that, the day was a long drive for not much.

I like that second blue jacket, Meg! Ever since I wore a blue suit to a meeting and someone commented how much I looked like an American Airlines stewardess, I've shied away from blue jackets. But with a contrasting skirt or slacks, that would look great.

Mel

WaterRat 02-24-2008 09:29 PM

I too have the spring clothes yearning. I did find a sale (buy 2, get one free) on short sleeved t's the other day, and quickly grabbed a white one (can't have too many of those) plus a nice dusty rose color and a red one. Also we've been painting our bedroom (forever!) and when I cleaned out my closet, besides donating a tone of stuff, I realised I have a lot of nice stuff - just one size too small.... The last pounds around my middle must go.....

Sheila, I'm a jeans/t shirt gal all the way. I own, um, 2 or 3 dresses and 2 skirts - both black. :) I wear chinos/kahkis (how do you spell it) and sweaters or nice t's for work, sometimes a blazer.

Meg 02-25-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel (Post 2070651)
I like that second blue jacket, Meg! Ever since I wore a blue suit to a meeting and someone commented how much I looked like an American Airlines stewardess, I've shied away from blue jackets. But with a contrasting skirt or slacks, that would look great.

Mel

Mel, I'm cracking up here. :rofl:

I'm guessing that you were wearing a solid navy blue, blazer-type jacket? Because I always say that I look like a car rental agent when I wear a jacket like that. It's because we're short, I think. :p

Megan1982 02-27-2008 10:37 AM

Ooh, I really like that color blue! I've noticed some styles of trendier shirts that just come in 3 colors - black, white, blue. Remember a few years ago when everything was black, white, and pink? I love blue, but I love it a little too much - I need to branch out!

I just got some really good deals on in last year's styles as many clothing stores are switching seasons right now. I got several pairs of Columbia brand tan and khaki shorts in quick-dry/spf fabric for less than $15 at Sports Authority - perfect for my job! I also got several yoga pants, leggings, shorts, and a quick-dry shirt at Sports Authority and Ross, and I dared to buy some form-fitting shorts, for working out. The form-fitting shorts are similar to this:
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

I don't know if I'll have the courage to wear those! I have to model them for my fashion police roommate, she'll be honest (in a nice way) about whether I can pull it off. Clearly a) my lifestyle doesn't require me to dress up a whole lot, and b) I was using the "but I need cute workout clothes to motivate me to work out!" excuse to justify shopping for myself. But I did buy BF some birthday presents too! (The original justification for shopping.)

I'm in a friend's wedding in June. She told her bridesmaids we can wear any dress we want, any style, just pick a bright color, no black, navy, etc. I will have to start looking for that soon...

Meg 02-27-2008 12:04 PM

Cute shorts, Megan! And I read your awesome gym compliment on the other thread so it seems to me that you've earned the right to wear those shorts. :carrot:

Your friend is a dream letting you pick out your own bridesmaids dress style and even color! You'll end up with a dress that you can wear again -- what a concept! :faint: When DD and I were looking at wedding and bridesmaids dresses, I couldn't get over how ugly and just plain wrong so many of them were.

Will it be blue? :devil: (I'm the same way with blue and am trying to expand my color palette too!)

Meg 02-27-2008 01:33 PM

Here's an article about four spring clothes trends - bright colors, hemlines at all lengths, global styles, and sheer fabrics. Spring Clothes To Fall In Love With :)

baffled111 02-28-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 2075044)
Will it be blue? :devil: (I'm the same way with blue and am trying to expand my color palette too!)

I am this way with green. I see green and I'm drawn to it like a moth to a halogen bulb. I have about 9 green sweaters in a variety of shades, a few black ones and virtually nothing else. I now have a strict rule in effect that I am NOT allowed to buy sweaters or tees in green.

Trouble is that it is such a lovely color, and available in a variety of pretty shades... :dizzy:

nelie 03-03-2008 11:10 AM

Baffled, I'm the same way with green. I see green and say I gotta have it.

Yesterday, I had a frustrating shopping experience. Lord & Taylor was having a sale 50% off their clearance items. I really wanted some work clothes. All the shirts were too short for my long torso or they were too casual or too dressy. I did find 2 pairs of pants (size 14) and tried on some 12s that were way too tight but it was good to see where I stand :) I was frustrated though by the lack of shirts.

So I went to Macy's and they had a lot of racks of 50%-65% off regular price, which I wasn't really impressed with as a sale. I did find a couple more pants and tried on a variety in petites. Tried on size 12 (too tight but I knew that), size 14 (mix of fitting to being too tight) and then tried on a pair of size 16 pants that were too tight! Right now, my size 16 petite pants are getting baggy on me so I didn't expect other size 16s to be too tight. Crazy pants.

The real frustrating part is that Macy's really didn't even have shirts that I wanted for work. Even INC, which I normally love, let me down. I may have to try to find some online to order or else I'll be topless soon.

alinnell 03-03-2008 02:06 PM

DH was getting some sacks of clothes ready to take to the charity drop off and I announced I had some things. I brought out a large sack of old shoes! DH said it scared him to think that I'd be going out to buy new shoes now! I said that at this point I really only need a new pair of black sandals--now that my "career" clothes includes jeans and shorts I don't need all the fancy-schmancy shoes (just a few pair to go with a few dressier outfits).

I haven't been shopping for clothes lately, but plan to go out in a few weeks. March is going to be incredibly busy for me--every weekend is taken up with one thing or another. There is just no "me" time to go shopping.

MileHighMama 03-06-2008 12:48 PM

Hi everyone,
I went shopping at Dillards yesterday and found some great winter stuff on sale -- 75 percent off! I really am liking this department they have called outdoor wear, they have brands like Columbia and Woolrich and Royal Robbin. I got a pair of brown casual bants and two pullover casual tops. I also splurged on a buttery yellow hoodie, which I know I am going to get a ton of wear out of this spring. The yellow looks great with denim, khaki, brown, navy... It wasn't on sale, though, but they only had two left, one in my size, so I snatched it up.

On another note, has anyone noticed that sizes are getting truer to normal again? I'm noticing that a size 6, for example, seems snugger and slimmer than it did last year and the year before. Of course, it could be all the carmel corn I ate a few nights ago, but still, it does seem a little like maybe the vanity size pendulum might be swinging the other way again.

Pam

WaterRat 03-06-2008 02:46 PM

I got a new J Jill catalog, and a new Land's End catalog, and I am soooo ready for the weather to be warmer! :) Cute cute stuff - or let's say, the stuff I like! I still get some "fat lady" catalogs, and in glancing through one I am appalled at styles/patterns, and thankful I don't need these!

alinnell 03-10-2008 12:05 PM

DH was working on blue prints for a huge condo project so I wanted to keep out of his way. What an excuse for shopping!!! At Talbots, I got khaki capri pants, jean capri pants and light khaki Bermuda shorts. At the shoe store, I bought 2 pair of black sandals (black shoes are like black pants--you can never have too many pair! IMO). Then at Macy's I got a top that looks great with jeans or with black pants. I then came home and ordered a pair of shoes from Talbots (black again!). They didn't have that particular pair in the store and I thought they were very pretty.

Meg 03-13-2008 05:16 AM

I went to Macys yesterday to check out the sales with my 20% off coupon. The first thing I noticed is that there's a lot of black even for spring/summer. It looks like black + a bright color is the look. I saw a lot of fuschia (pinky-purple) and metallics, even in things like leather jackets.

Ralph Lauren had a lot of pastel pinks and blues but I didn't see pastels with any other brands. There's still a lot of white around and black + white still seems to be big.

I noticed last summer that there doesn't seem to be as much of a difference between winter and summer clothes any more. Last summer everything was in darker colors, just lighter weight fabrics. I guess that navy, black, and gray are all year colors now.

I found two awesome jackets on sale -- one a double breasted, black with white piping that would look good with white pants, black pinstripes, or even solid black. The other is a white cotton jacket with a stand up collar. In fact, almost everything I bought was either black or white! I guess I need to add that shot of color to brighten things up. :)

Meg 03-13-2008 01:30 PM

What do you all think of big prints like this? There sure are a lot of them in the stores now! :dizzy:

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

http://anntaylor.scene7.com/is/image...3?$lrg254x296$

paperclippy 03-13-2008 01:50 PM

One time on "What Not To Wear," they said that the size of the print should be relative to the size of the person. So huge prints like that look good on taller women, but petite women should opt for smaller prints. Kind of like how very large women always seem to wear huge earrings and look fine but they look kind of goofy if you're 5' tall and skinny.

I usually opt for small prints myself, which follows that general principle (I also prefer small stud earrings! :lol: ). I did have a crazy retro giant print neon colors dress like those shown when I was in high school though. I think I wore it once.

I'm feeling the urge to go spring clothes shopping, but I know that since I'm so far above goal weight at the moment that if I buy them now they will be too big next year. So I'm going to wait until I'm under my red line to go shopping for cute things for everyday. However, I am in need of some new gym clothes (which usually have elastic waistbands!) so I may be taking a shopping trip anyway. ;)

alinnell 03-13-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 2098451)
What do you all think of big prints like this? There sure are a lot of them in the stores now! :dizzy:

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

http://anntaylor.scene7.com/is/image...3?$lrg254x296$

Is'nt the bottom one Anne Taylor? I saw it there the other day and it is very cute (although the square neckline isn't me--well dresses aren't me either!). Anne taylor also has it in a skirt. I like the big prints personally. I rarely pick anything with a small print.

Meg 03-13-2008 03:28 PM

Wow, you have an eye for fashion, Allison! Yep, it's Ann Taylor. :) I think Jessica is onto something about matching a print to a person's size because (I think) you're pretty tall and could carry off a print like the Ann Taylor dress beautifully. I like the flowers a lot (but not the geometric) but I'm afraid that I'd look like a sofa in it, being a shortie. Come to think of it, I have very few items with any print at all. :chin:

alinnell 03-13-2008 04:27 PM

Seriously, I DOUBT you'd look like a sofa, Meg (attempting to visualize--it just isn't computing!). But you're right--the big prints do work better on us tall folk.

WaterRat 03-13-2008 07:19 PM

I['m with Meg - can't carry off big prints at all! :) I don't have a lot of anything with prints at all. Seeing this thread made me remember that I need to order some things from J Jill while their sale is still on.

Mel 03-13-2008 07:26 PM

:rofl: I tried on the flowered dress at Ann Taylor last weekend. I looked...ok...with a jacket over it, but without the jacket I looked like a bedspread. Even in the petite version.

I did get a floral skirt at Ann Taylor outlet, with an orange sleeveless knit top that matches the color of the flowers. The other colors are tan, very dark brown and white. I have a brown Talbots jacket that matches it perfectly. This is only the second print I've bought. My usual reaction is like Meg's: I'd look like a sofa! Also found a fantastic pair of camel colored pants at the outlet for $19.00 !!!!

The big geometrics just look too 1960's to me. Been there, done that. They remind me of Goldie Hawn in laugh-In days.

My office is always freezing! I can't dress for summer even if it's warm and toasty outside :(

Mel

Meg 04-09-2008 09:58 AM

It's official -- I have too many clothes! :o Six years of nonstop clothes shopping, combined with an old house with tiny closets -- makes for a disaster. I'm swapping out summer clothes for winter clothes and it looks like a department store exploded inside my house. Heavens, piles of clothes here and mountains of sandals there ... :fr: (the cats are loving sleeping on my sweaters :lol:) I've got plastic sweater boxes under the bed, plastic bins in my tiny closet, pants hung on those drop-down hangers, double closet bars, and it's still not enough. :eek:

So I'm taking a vow of shopping abstinence, at least until I can get things sorted out. What I need to do is make outfits, like they always say on What Not To Wear. I've got the pants, sweaters, sandals, tops, jewelry -- now I have to pull them together. I have my "go to" outfits that I know work and I feel good in, but I need to make everything into an outfit like that. So my goal is to take everything I have and put it together, all the while channeling Stacy and Clinton!

Or get rid of it! Funny how the very first things I bought once I reached goal don't really suit my style any more. It was harder than I ever would have expected to figure out what to buy once I could wear anything and I reflexively shopped for camouflage, even though it wasn't necessary. Now I look at those very first purchases and it's kind of bittersweet because I still remember buying them and the wonder and awe of fitting into little sizes. But I'm being tough and sorting out things that really don't work for Goodwill, even though I feel sentimental about them. Story: the first time I bought a size 4 dress, I had tried on an 8 and then a 6 before I got to the 4, and I stood there in the dressing room and bawled. When I took it out to the cash register, the sales clerk said, "oh, since you're a size 4, you know you have to grab the little sizes right away" ... and I didn't know, because I had never been a size 4 before! Yet she was acting like I was a small person, like I was a normal person!! I'll never, ever forget that. :)

Enough blathering -- got to get back to work before the Red Cross declares this a disaster area. :D

4rabbit 04-09-2008 01:10 PM

wow Meg,
That is a touching story about your size 4 dress.
I am still in the grab whatever fits mode now and then.
The problem is ...I never even shopped for clothes. I just wore whatever my 13 yr old niece grew out of. And now I am shopping, i do not seem to be able to get myself into a store. But i do enjoy shopping at goodwill otr the thrift store. I might even graduate to outlets in the far future...who knows.

Good luck with the outfits

Rabbit

Meg 04-25-2008 08:33 AM

Our clothes shopping thread has been unusually quiet this spring and perhaps this is why: Clothing stores feel sharp economic pinch

Quote:

If rising food and fuel prices aren’t exactly getting you in the mood to hit the mall for a new spring outfit, you’re not alone. Clothing retailers are facing a double whammy of drooping consumer interest — fueled by economic woes — coupled with their own rising costs for raw materials such as cotton, fuel to transport goods and even labor in China.

Their problems could turn out to be more severe than other types of retailers because, for many people, a new pair of shoes or a skirt is more of a splurge than a must-have item.

“People have to eat, people have to drive to work, people have to take their medicine for cancer or illnesses that are medically mandated, but … people’s dresser drawers and closets are probably oversubscribed from prior fashion seasons,” said Burt P. Flickinger III, managing director of the consulting firm Strategic Resource Group.
The article concludes with this depressing observation:

Quote:

If there’s one bright spot for clothing stores, he said it’s that Americans’ thickening waist lines are driving some sales as more adults find their clothes growing increasingly snug.

“The only thing that, ironically, is saving the fashion industry is obesity in America,” Flickinger said.
(emphasis added)

What a sad commentary on the state of our health!!

paperclippy 04-25-2008 09:48 AM

I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I haven't been spring clothes shopping is that the spring colors and trends are ugly this year! :lol: Who wants to wear black and dark colors in spring? Not me, that's for sure. I'll have to go shopping for tops sometime soon though. Maybe by then they'll have summer colors in.

midwife 04-25-2008 10:52 AM

Meg, that is so sad. :(

WaterRat 04-25-2008 01:11 PM

I did score on Land's End. They had a short "no shipping costs" period, coupled with a sale on knit tops (i.e. nice t's). I have 3 lovely new shirts for work - all in light colors! :)