Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the theorizing and advising. I've been suggesting to people in my real life that these new sugar cravings might be connected to quitting smoking and they seem to think I'm talking nonsense. But I think the things are connected, one way or another. Dammit! You might be right about the fatigue too Anne. Without intending to, I've been sleeping an extra 30-45 minutes each morning and bf is waking up a full hour later than he usually does. Things are tough all over. I'm just afraid that the longer I let this sugar business go on, the harder it is going to be to get control over my eating and to lose the weight. I'm generally a moderation person rather than a banish-completely person, but I think I need a couple of days of total sugar-free detox--although I'm going to stick with the fruit for now and see if I can get off the sugar without giving it up. Then I can go back to being moderate. Btw, does anyone have an opinion of how sugar-free gum fits into this scheme? I've been eating tons of the stuff and I can imagine that it might have the same effect that diet soda has on some people. Thanks, thanks, thanks for all the advice.

What else is going on with people?

ETA: Lily and I posted at the same time. Lily, I think picking paint colors is one of those things that truly requires a gift or lots and lots of experience. It's almost impossible and colors never, ever look the way you think they're going to. But good on you for doing all that work!

Last edited by baffled111; 02-23-2008 at 11:37 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #77  
Mel

Baf- I chew sf gum endlessly because of dry mouth. It doesn't affect sugar cravings for me.

I think the greatest invention for picking pain colors is the sample size jar sold by Benjamin Moore paints. They are about $5.00 and you can test a fairly large swath with it. Much cheaper than buying multiple gallons if you don't like the color! We are redoing our basement home theater room with 3 different colors and I bought 5 sample jars before I INVESTED in gallons. One of the colors got an instant thumbs down and I was really glad I only spent $5 to discover that!

Yay me! I'm now officially at my red-line weight never thought I'd celebrate that.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #78  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Lily, whenever I get paint I always take something to the store that is the EXACT color I want (like a pillow with the right color in the flower on it or curtains or even a shirt if it's the right color). The people at the store can mix the paint to be whatever color you want and then you know it's right. We've never had a problem using that technique.

Baffled, I chew a fair amount of sugar-free gum and I've never noticed it causing cravings. In fact, I chew it when I AM craving something and it satisfies me. I DO have a problem with Splenda, though. For some reason, that tends to make me crave carbs.

I got my run in this morning and then had a really yummy breakfast. I've just recently discovered how to make steel cut oats in the crockpot and it's so nice to wake up to breakfast being ready! The kids love oatmeal, too, so it's a win all around.

I'm building on my two great days and planning a terrific on-plan day today.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I thought I'd pop in and let you know that I got a new sewing machine today! Phew what took me so long?! It's so smooth and quiet!

So I blew this rag quilt together and am bruising my fingers snipping the edges. Taking a break at 3FC to rested my poor fingers
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #80  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

baffled, I do remember the fatigue with quitting smoking. I actually slept extra on purpose to help keep my mind off of cig's. But, during day time hours I found I had lots of extra time that was no longer spent on smoking.

Mel, I didn't know about the sample jars of paint. I'll ask about those next time cause I plan to paint this entire house before I'm finished.

Kara, that's a great idea to take a like color print with me next time. I actually just had the color I wanted planned in my head.

I am so tired this evening. We just got back from the mall and 2 other dress shops looking for Lacy's prom dress. She must have tried on at least 50 dresses before picking one. She bought a bright pink one that isn't very much different than the one she bought last year except this one doesn't have any sequins. She was getting so discouraged and I could feel her frustration. No size fit the same from store to store. The ones she loved , they didn't have her size. If it fit perfect in the waist, it was too big through the bust. (I told her to pick one and if needed we could have it tailored to fit perfectly). Now, my feet are killing me from walking so much today and I'm gonna kick back and rest and watch TV after a 9 hour shopping trip.

The really bad thing is Shelbey didn't pick out her prom dress today so I've got at least another whole day of prom dress shopping to do.

Our weather is yucky with freezing rain coming down. Forecast is for icy weather tonite. It snowed some yesterday but it didn't stick.

My arms are aching quite a bit after painting the kitchen ceiling yesterday. If I'm less sore tomorrow, I'll start painting my living room. Maybe it won't be as bad cause the way my kitchen is designed , it's the hardest room in my house to paint. Just too many doors, bay windows and such that take a lot of patience not to get paint on the trim of.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #81  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Oh, Lily. I don't envy you with all of that prom dress shopping! I remember that being very frustrating and I'm sure it was no less so for my mom. Maybe I'll offer to make my girls' dresses...(I'm sure that would go over REALLY well!)

Speaking of sewing...Susan, glad to hear your new machine is working well! I miss my sewing machine! I have a nine-patch quilt half finished and my sewing machine is over 3,000 miles away in our storage unit!

Another happy purple smiley for me today! Tomorrow will be fun with both lunch AND dinner at my grandparents' house! Luckily, my grandmother always cooks a ton of veggies for me anyway (since I'm a vegetarian and she feels she has to overcompensate for me not eating whatever meat dish she prepared) so I won't go hungry and I won't go overboard. She's watching her cholesterol so her cooking is pretty healthy!

I'm going to finish my green tea in front of the TV. Tom told me tonight he read in a Men's Health magazine that putting some lemon juice in your green tea increases your body's ability to get the antioxidants. Have any of you heard that?

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #82  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Baffled -- I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever picked up smoking, but it makes complete sense to me that giving up something like this may very well trigger something else, some other kind of need. Given the amount of people I know who've already told me "I prefer to keep on smoking, else I'll gain on weight", it can't only be that "nicotines causes your metabolism to burn 1000 more calories a day" (which it doesn't anyway)--it must be that people trying to stop are picking up some other habit to compensate, sort of. So if sugar cravings are part of that, I wouldn't even be surprised. (Of course, I hope things won't remain this way for long for you, because it's the choice lies in either smoking or gaining weight, it kind of sucks!)

As for the news on the French front, a friend of mine told me yesterday that I might actually suffer from exhaustion. Yayh -- not. But I guess that if headaches, overall tiredness and dizziness go on tomorrow, I'll go ask for a few days off or something. Ack, I can't afford to be sick, I have too much work to do! (And *of course* this was the night where I couldn't sleep more than 5 hours, and kept on waking up every hour. You'd think my body would cooperate? Tough luck!)

Bah. Sunny morning: incoming. Target: sun getting over horizon. Operation "Let's have a walk at 8 am": starting in 20 minutes. It can't be worse than doing homework at 7.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #83  

Hi maintainers,

Lily - wow, you are really really busy with your girs 7 the house

Kery - take care that you do not catch the flu...its is going around in these parts.

Susan - glad you dropped in. A new sewing machine ? That is an idea...mine is older than I am and has its quirks.

Hi to everyone else,
have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #84  

Flu? Yuck. That's really the last thing I need to catch!

And now exhaustion is speaking, and is telling me that there's a bakery open all Sunday long not far from where I live, and that it'd be a shame, in such a sunny weather, to not bike there to pile on goods. Yeah, right. Why is it only THAT kind of food that is appealing when I'm very tired, instead of the healthy stuff!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #85  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
there's a bakery open all Sunday long not far from where I live, and that it'd be a shame, in such a sunny weather, to not bike there to pile on goods. Yeah, right. Why is it only THAT kind of food that is appealing when I'm very tired, instead of the healthy stuff!
Stay strong, Kery. Get on your bike but go in the opposite direction. Have an apple and some cottage cheese.

Are you working today? I am. I've got a final report to sort out and it's a bit tangled at this stage. Yuck. I plan to have some chicken soup in about an hour, with extra veg and a couple of Dr Karg three-seed biscuits.

Let's both stay strong! We can do it.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #86  

I should work on school-related stuff (there's nothing much for me to do once I'm done with my week days job, anyway), but whatever I try to work on currently doesn't produce any effect. That's how I know it's real tiredness, not just being lazy or unmotivated. And probably the reason why my brain is creaming for carbs. -_-

A couple of friends is supposed to pick me up later on this afternoon to go on a walk in a big park next to our city. I'm doing what I can to stay strong until then, since I know that socializing this way won't make me feel like eating. Gee. And people tell me I should stay home and rest for a few days? I'd just be pacing about, grinding my teeth in an effort to not go near the fridge.

Let's both stay strong, indeed!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #87  
Meg

Ah, Kery, you really do sound exhausted. My body screams for carbs when I'm tired too, for the very good reason that they are a fast (but fattening) energy boost. A few days off sounds like a really good idea! In the meantime, can you get out of your apartment and away from food until it's time to meet your friends? Or -- take a nap?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #88  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Or -- take a nap?
Oh, how lovely! I'd do that if I could!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #89  

I tried to take a nap, but as usual, sleeping during the day just doesn't happen (and I don't have shutters to help). At least I went through lunch without going berzerk on the crackers or something.

I'm ashamed to admit that, but perhaps it's time I tell my doc tomorrow I could do with a couple of days of leave. Just so that I can worry about sleeping instead of work for a change.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #90  
in development

Good move. That sounds like a very sensible thing to do. Not at all shameful. Over here, we sometimes call that kind of thing 'mental health days'. Definitely needed from time to time.

I've put my soup on.