Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #61  
Working My Way Back Down

It's morning here too - that's all I have to say about it. And Lisa, it's actually 20 here, but the wind is blowing again, so it feels below zero! All I can say is thank goodness for down coats! And Shane and Megan, I lived in Seattle twice, for a year each time, and quickly got used to much more moderate weather, and coming back to cold and snow was a shock. I grew up in New England, then lived in Michigan for a couple years before moving here, so snow has always been a winter thing for me. I could easily, easily live where I never saw it again, however! And the darkness at this northern latitude is what gets me the most. We've got about 2 weeks to go before it turns around. We're losing 5-6 minutes of daylight every day now. On 12/21 it'll be 5 hours 19 min, stay there for 2 days, and then start gaining light. (Believe me, Alaskans know to the minute how much daylight there is. )

We've been really enjoying our CSA box, esp the fruit. I cut up a red pear and a kiwi to eat with our scrambled eggs this morning - and put some of the mushrooms in the eggs too. Yummy. Tonight's dinner will include either the chard or the spinach. (Be patient with me, I'm sure once I've had a few of these boxes, I won't be talking about them all the time.)

Good luck on your project Kery!

Lily, your son sounds like my DH - skinny, skinny and always aiming to gain! I tell him to just eat what I want to eat and he'll get there.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Lily, I will watch anything that has fat/obese/weight in it too! I drive the GF nuts... she asks, "Why do you love watching FAT people so much? You're not fat anymore!" and, "You really are obsessed with weight, you know that, right?" She watches Fat TV with me, anyway, and enjoys it almost as much as I do. Oooo. FatTV - what a brilliant idea for a channel, no? As long as they didn't air infomercials 24/7, I'd be glued to the sofa! I know that might hinder my exercise progress, but maybe I'll break some olympic records running from the couch to the refrigerator and back while making sure I don't miss any important plot points.

Pat - I have no idea how you can survive the weather in Alaska. Hopefully your DH will dig your car out of the driveway before work when there has been a snow storm... I always hated digging my car out of snow before work because it meant I had to wake up earlier and I am not a morning person!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I watch anything with fat or weight loss in it too, but for years I avoided that stuff like the plague. I guess I'll watch it when I'm being successful with it but I'll avoid it when I'm in denial. And I was in denial for a loooong time. Now that stuff is really interesting to me because of the past year and a half and the changes I've made. I guess that's why so many of us end up wanting to be trainers and coaches and things like that.

I have a cold -- ugh. I can't run, and I didn't get to yesterday either. Bad week for exercise... Doing ok on the eating, though. We had all this food at our academic competition last night and I just completely passed it up. I was too sick to eat, though, so don't congratulate me on avoiding temptation. Today I'm REALLY hungry for some reason, and I've had a few more calories than I should've by this point, especially since there won't be a run. Oh well...I'm still doing the maintenance thing for now anyway, and the scale seems to be pretty happy at 162 right now. I'll take it. I'll see the 150s eventually, but probably not in 07. I'm ok with that.

Hope everyone's day is good and you're staying out of the cold... Here's a hug for ennay -- I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now but you're strong and you'll break out of it.

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 12-06-2007 at 01:34 PM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #64  
Meg

Lisa, maintenance is a HUGE achievement at this time of the year for any of us! Remember, maintenance is success, not failure (I'm talking to myself here). We all can hit it hard when January 1 rolls around, but for now, big congratulations on staying the same.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #65  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hey all.

Been a tough couple of days at work. Office politics. 'Nuff said. However, the avalanche of e-mails seems to have slowed to a trickle, so it's time to get back to work. Or 3fc, as the case may be. .

Other news: I've managed to make it to the gym 3 days so far. I missed Tuesday because of a snow day for the schools, but I can still hit my target of 5 this week if I can escape for a workout on Saturday. The unpleasantness at work also induced a few encounters with cookies -- homemade, so I have no one to blame but myself -- but my weight seems to be stable nonetheless. I'll take it.

Warmth to Pat, crossed fingers to Shane & Kery, earplugs to Carolyn (they work wonders for back seat drivers), a "get well soon" wish to Lisa, condolences to Baffled (for entering grading season -- ), and a to everyone else.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #66  

HI maintainers,

A quick hello from my side. I have read all the posts, but it is simply too much to answer to everyone. But i enjoy reading about all our lives and ups and downs and occasional struggles immensely.

Pat - I hear you on the alaskan darkness. I too am counting the days before the days are longer again ( 15 days untill december 21, so 30 days before the day is longer than today... and counting).

?? I forgot who mentioned the dreaded muffintop that has crept in these past months, but I have it too! i find it extremely difficult to stay in the groove..make that get near the groove. i am just slugging along, feeling fairly lousy, i am putting in 5 - 6 hours of exercise per week, but still I am up 10 pounds more that I would want, and I have a muffin top, and tight pants, and i cannot wear some of my favorite T-shirts. That said, i have to remind myself that things would probabelyt be much worse if I did not put in the exercise time, and that the tight pants and too tight T-shirts once belonged to my then 13 year old niece. So in that perspective things could be worse. But I still HATE my muffin top.

No news yet on the job interview. I still hope they will offer the position to someone else. If not, I will enter negotiations to ensure I can stay sane, and stil enjoy the better job security. BTW, Shane- congrats on making it to the list of your coveted job interview! WTG on the typing score!

Pat - I love to read about your adventures with the CSA box
lily - your adventures read like a TV series... really!

This week is about being tires, tired and tired again from my side. i missed power class, and yesterday i was so exhausted from biking home that I skipped on coocking dinner. But I did bike to work 2 x, and I went to the gym tonight for 1 hour, so that makes 4 hours. And tomorrow I will do yoga, and I plan on a run & a yoga DVD in the weekend for another hour.

Have a great week all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #67  

So, I just got an e-mail telling me that before I can go into an interview for one of the city jobs I applied for (NOT my #1 choice, but it will do), I have to take a test. I met the requirements and whatnot, but I guess they need to continue filtering out applicants. I HATE tests. I get really, really bad test anxiety. I bet my heart rate climbs higher during tests than it ever could even during the most intense cardio workout. Does anyone have some valium? Just kidding, of course.

I've been eating good and clean the last few days. I got my yucky, icky, evil TOM yesterday but the scale has not even gone up.

Lisa, I agree with Meg, it's hard NOT to GAIN weight this time of year, let alone LOSE it.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow! This thread goes incredibly fast--I can't keep up. Congratulations on impending grandmotherhood (I'm in Idaho visiting my only grandkid right now--it's great!), impending new jobs, and anything else wonderful that's happened in people's lives.

Trying to stay on track in the place where I gained the majority of my weight is hard. But I put in two hours at the gym today, and I'm hoping lunch with my son and dinner out tonight won't be too bad. Yesterday is best forgotten as far as food goes. On the other hand, I went to a thrift store and bought two pair of size 10 jeans and a pair of size 8 pants. And I tried on a couple of other size 8 things that fit, but were too short. So I guess I can kind of get into a size 8, which is cause for celebration. Without food, of course.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I never thought I'd come to Boise again in the winter, but never say never. No snow forecasted so I'm happy.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone!

I'm just popping in to say hello. I got off to a late start today, but I had a good session with the weights and have a relatively easy day before me. Time to work on my diss and write my syllabi for next semester before all the final papers come in.

Cheers to everyone.

Last edited by baffled111; 12-06-2007 at 02:55 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #70  
Working My Way Back Down

Shane - one word re: car being snowed in - garage! (or in my case just a carport, but still it keeps the snow off). I do sometimes have to clean my car off at work, but never so much as requires digging it out. We don't have more snow than other snowy places, we just have it earlier in the fall and longer - like all the way through March, and occasionally in April.

Rabbit - glad I'm not the only one who counts the days of darkness! Take care of yourself.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #71  
Meg

Woo hoo, Sheila, at being in the single digits! Isn't it just an amazing feeling?

TGIF, everyone! I'm pages behind in reading too, just like everyone else. But ten kinds of Christmas cookies are baked and safely stowed in the freezer, with minimal personal damage. I'm making my (hopefully) last trip to the mall this morning and am trying to get Christmas done so I can enjoy the season without stress. There's been lots of snow shovel cardio here in the past few days and remarkably, it's been colder than Alaska!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #72  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, everyone.

Just wanted to say that those of you who have your holiday shopping done already are AWESOME. Me, I have yet to start. This weekend. Really. Yeah, that's it, next weekend, um, I mean, this weekend.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #73  
Chuggin' along...

6 weeks and 1 day after the oven in my house broke, we got a new one installed and ready to cook yesterday. Of course I had to use it immediately and baked chicken for dinner last night. A 3rd generation of the landlord's family got involved, and he replaced the oven immediately and was very upset it took so long for him to find out about it. This weekend I'm going to make so many (healthy) things in my oven!

Gotta go to my other office in the city today. I hope it will be a nice change of scene. Usually it's just frustrating.

Sheila, congratulations!!! Size 8, awesome!

Shane, your test will be ok. Breathe. Bring some food in again (wasn't that you who did that on your last test?).

Rabbit, I hope you can catch up a little on sleep this weekend.

Lisa, yes, maintenance at this time of year is a victory.

Have a great Friday all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #74  

Megan, I would ask, "Whoa, how do you go 6 weeks and 1 day without a functional oven?" until I realized how little I actually use mine. I do a majority of my cooking with the microwave and the toaster oven. Sometimes, the stove gets used, too

And yup, I brought Skittles in on my last test and got yelled at for it by a grouchy old lady who probably just wanted to eat some with me. I HATE TESTS. Surprisingly enough, I did well in school, aced the SAT, and the MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) exam, but I was prepared for all of them. My test anxiety is minimal if I know what to expect.

I should just go apply for a really "manly" job within the city. They are required to hire a certain number of women in each department. So, maybe if I apply for one of those, they will hire me if I'm the only woman applying. Then, maybe, they will alter the test until I pass. When I get hired, I will make all the men do the gruntwork for me and they will probably oblige because I'm not terrible to look at.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Good morning maintainers,

I think that posting under the goals for 08 lit a wee fire under my butt.
I was right on plan up until last night - I've had a nasty cold all week, so no running/skiing/anything. Feeling sorry for myself last night and ate 2 bowls of popcorn - yah that really made me feel better...hmmph.

Lily - I believe you mentioned you were going to do the SB induction early Jan - do you need a buddy? I was going to loosely follow it before Christmas - but the events are coming fast and furious and I'm no saint.
I really don't want to feel like a failure again this time next year - I can do it

Megan - Isn't is lovely to have kitchen facilities after being without for so long?
Last year I went without a sink through my kitchen renos for 6 months - needless to say I love my sink.

Shane - best of luck on your test

Hello to everyone else - stay strong when those Christmas goodies come a calling.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote