Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Anne Wicked is amazing, I also saw it in Chicago. You will have a great time! Oh and the American Girl Store, gosh I remember when my girls were into them. Just avoid the Hershey store that is somewhere there near by!

Have fun with that "before" pic tonight, that is one thing I didn't do and wish now I would have!

Last edited by Pacergal29; 12-03-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Pacergal29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Meg, I hope you can ward off the evil virus. My DD is the one that usually brings me different viruses. It seems whenever she is sick , is when she gets very clingy and wants to hug and lay beside mom.

SusanB, congrat's on the grandbaby. Grandkids are the BEST.

Anne and Meg, I'm also trying to "get back to basics". For now, I'm trying to calorie count until after the Holidays. Then, I'll go back to my strict SB induction. It's not the desserts that are tempting me now, its' the fresh oranges, apples , bananas and pineapples that I bought. At least it's healthy stuff so I'm eating it and including it in my calorie count. SB induction doesn't allow any fruit and I knew that when I bought it, but I am craving it and couldn't resist. So, I told myself I can have it so long as I stay at 1500 cal's or below each day. Funny how I just keep making up my own Rules. LOL

Anne, sorry about that temper tantrum. 2 yr. olds can be very determined. My 3 yr. old grandson asks "WHY" a million times a day.

Libby, big congrat's on the 100 lbs. That is such a huge milestone.

Robin, Wow 50 people, sounds like a huge party. Have fun.

joyofsix, pecan pie is my favorite, it would be hard for me to resist that. Hope you feel better soon.

pacergal, good luck keeping up with the thread. I always end up getting behind after a day or so.

Dawg, I have nights like that sometimes where I wake up and look at the clock almost every hr. Like you, it leaves me feeling exhausted the next day.

Shane, I'm glad you are finding maintaining easier. For me, it is harder. I just seem to lose my motivation at times and it takes gaining a few lbs.and clothes getting tighter to kick me in the butt and realize I don't want to go there again.

Baffled, I bet you are really ready for the Christmas break. We're having strong winds and cold temps, but no snow yet. DH is working in the oil field about 3.5 hrs. away and he says they have had lots of snow and ice. I'm expecting the bad weather to hit soon, so I have my candles out and wood stacked nearby for my fireplace.

megan, is your foot feeling better today?

Well, gotta go fight with the phone company. They say my bill wasn't paid. It was paid on-line and I have the confirmation number. Other than that, no news for me, is good news.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #18  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. We also had high winds this weekend. The poor cat wanted to go out. I'd open the door, and she ran away from it, only to go to the other door - like the wind was only out the back door, not the front? We still have no snow, but the temps are back to single digits, with below zero forecast for tonight. We'd actually welcome some snow to insulate the ground. Our water line is 10' down and has never frozen, but many folks have theirs buried a lot less deep....

Not much happening today, or even scheduled for the week. Whew. I've had a couple of busy weeks and am looking forward to a more normal one.

Lisa - send me your pecan pie - I can't stand it, but my DH would dive right in. He loves sweets.

We went out to dinner Sat between Christmas shopping and the Sweet Adelines' concert we were going to. Just stopped at an informal place, and I was pleased to see they had grilled halibut. Ick! It was soooo greasy. I didn't finish it. DH wasn't very happy with his choice either, so there's another place off our list. Concert was great though!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Anne--tantrums! I have one memorable one with my DD (she was about 3 at the time). This was after preschool and we came home and she was upset about something and I needed some peace and quiet. I put her in her room and went to my own but she wouldn't stay. I had locked my bedroom door and she started kicking it. I went out the back door, onto the patio, and back into the living room and sat and read the paper while she had her meltdown! After half an hour, I snuck back out to the patio and into my bedroom and unlocked the door. She was still kicking the door but at that point, she didn't remember what she was upset about and was able to (finally) calm down! I hope your dog is okay.

Oh, I'd love to have a party for 50. Am I crazy? I love to plan and cook but hate to buy everything and decorate. Okay, I guess the decorating is the worst part. I don't even know if I'll get the Christmas tree up this year (I ought to, though, I didn't do it last year!).

The weather here is weird. Friday it rained buckets (and caused a lot of flooding in the recently burned areas). Saturday we had gale-force winds. Sunday was sunny but cold --as is today which would be fine if my office had heat! Our heater must have frozen over the weekend and we're sitting here with our coats on. For the first hour or so I wished I had gloves, but the sun is warming us up nicely. It's supposed to rain again this weekend which is a bummer because DD's band has a huge festival planned. Rain will be bad news for everyone.

Friday we went to see the Nutcracker. DD was in the pit band (the first time this ballet company has had live accompaniment). Several of the dancers are kids I've known for years so it was really fun seeing it. Saturday we went to the CIF semi-final football game which we lost, but it was a lot of fun. I got my parents off that morning--they went home to an abundance of snow and actually got stuck on the runway after they landed.

Gotta run. Work is calling!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #20  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!

Megan - A needle! Wow. I hope your foot feels better now that it's gone!

Lily - Glad your son got home safe after getting stuck (from last week's thread).

Anne - Glad the pregnancy is going okay! Although hearing about your DD's antics I'd be skeptical of having another!

LessIsMore Anne - Welcome back!

Libby - congrats on the 100lbs!

Susan - congrats on the grandbaby!

Meg - we've been having crazy wind too. It was so loud last night!

Hi to everyone else!!

I am feeling . . . fat. The scale read 140 this morning. Saturday I weighed 137.8 and I thought maybe the water weight from TOM, etc had come off, but Sunday was back up over 138 and today was 140. Now it looks like the 137.8 was a fluke. This means I have GAINED TWO POUNDS over the past month (11/1 I weighed in at 136). HOW did I gain two pounds on an average of under 1800 calories/day??? With exercise????? I know my eating hasn't been 100% clean but I have been carefully tracking all my calories, even from eating junk. And this is not one of those cases of the scale going up but the pants getting loose. All my pants are tight, even my SHIRTS are tight. I have three skirts that I can't even wear.

Ugh. I am tempted to go to my doctor and tell them I have "unexplained weight gain," but they'll probably say 2 lbs isn't anything to be worried about (forget that up until a couple months ago my weight didn't fluctuate at all, and if it did it would go up AND down, not just up up up!). My nails are breaking weirdly too, like the top layer is coming off. Maybe I will go and ask them to test my thyroid levels again. I had it tested about a year and a half ago and it was normal, but I know that thyroid issues can cause cold intolerance, tendinitis, brittle nails, hair loss, and weight gain, and my mom has hypothyroidism that started in her 20's, and at least it is something easily treatable.

Blah blah blah. Back to work!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #21  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I had my post-op at the dr's this morning and she is very pleased with how well my foot it healing, and I'm not feeling any more pain. She's taking the stitches out in 1 week, cleared me to do weightlifting as long as it's not extremely heavy, and I'm allowed to shower now. As opposed to bathing with my towel-wrapped foot draped most ungraciously over the side of the tub to keep it dry.

Our new oven was finally, finally delived today. Our landlady's grandson told his grandma he would pick it up and install it, so she didn't buy delivery or installation (as I've mentioned I live in the boonies and Sears is 90 miles away). He had no intention of picking it up, he thought he could convince us to do it (in our 2-door Honda Civics???) so we called them and bought delivery and are taking it off of our rent this month. But now it's sitting here, waiting for him to install it... so close, yet so far. This is RIDICULOUS. We're going to pay rent today and are talking to her about this. It's been over a month! Grr grr grr.

Jessica, hmm... I dunno... but don't be discouraged! You've been doing so well this month getting back on track!

Allison, LOL, that is hilarious! Anne, sounds terrible. I guess kids will throw their tantrums, but thankfully most grow out of it.

Anne (lessismore), enjoy your weekend away! Sounds fun. Yummy coffee. Glad to "see" you again.

DGAdDawg, I was up with you last night. I wasn't tired until almost 2 am. Insomnia stinks! Hope you get more sleep tonight.

Libby, What an amazing job! You should be so proud.

I brought some reading home from work so I'm going to start working on that. And glaring at the new oven in the middle of the kitchen. Actually I suppose I should glare at the old oven.

Have a great week everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Megan, I missed it. What was in your foot?

Yup, this is our first grandchild. Stephanie is our middle child. You just never know how it's going to go.

I got to and from work just fine. NOW the roads are closed. Maybe a day off tomorrow???
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #23  
Mel

Congratulations, SusanB! My friends who are grandmas love it Does she live near you? I thought nurses don't get snow day Here, we have fleets of SUV volunteers who take the nurses and doctors to the hospital...where they stay until the roads clear.

Jessica- those sound like a cluster of symptoms to me...go have another thyroid test!

Anne(Less) - Welcome back!

Anne(Dr)- ah, tantrums...that and EVER sleeping is one of the reasons my kids are space so far apart!

Libby- What a great milestone and you look fantastic!

Shane- How's the six pack challenge coming? I know you've read it and you know it, but to get ripped you really need to eat clean, clean, clean! Enough kick in the pants- your pictures look great. If you really want to lean out, you'll do it.

Meg- Hope you got a nap. I woke up then too, looked at the clock and put my head back down.

Hi everyone else

I'm in "keep it basic" mode too. The last few weekends have included too much stress/anxiety eating and I can't do any extra workouts to make up for it...and that doesn't work anyway!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #24  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

paperclippy wrote:
Quote:
I also just discovered Pandora. Have you guys seen it? It's an online radio, where you tell it what music you like and it finds similar things to play for you. You rate the stuff they play thumbs up or down, and it continually updates its selection based on your preferences. The only problem I found with it so far is that their library is missing my favorite band so they can't find the similar stuff. Then again my favorite band is Japanese so I'm not surprised, but still.
Try last.fm which has a better world catchment. The Man here seeds it with the French/Iraqi band Orange Blossom and listen to a selection of world hip-hop. Fun!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning! I use an online music service called live365.com. I really like it but haven't gone looking for anything too different. Brit pop, 80's metal, bluegrass gospel ... but not Japanese bands

Well Mel ... they live deep in the maze that is Hamilton. And I'm not good with the city driving. Guess I'll have to figure it out.

Oh and the snow days. When I lived right in the town where the hospital is ... I worked all the time when the weather was bad. Once in a blue moon they had to send someone with a jeep. I have friends I could stay with and then I'd prefer to work rather than sit at someone's house all day. We very seldom have two or three days in a row of impassable roads so it just doesn't happen.
Since 4 am they have opened our road (an 8 mile trip for me) DH will probably drive me.

Last edited by srmb60; 12-04-2007 at 05:44 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Good (?) morning!

I've definitely seen better days myself. I'm exhausted, I have bags under my eyes, I'm bloaty, my head hurts, my face broke out, and on top of that, I feel FAT! Nothing looks good on me today and my hair won't even cooperate! I feel VERY groggy and wish I could take a nap.

Mel - yeah, I know I need to eat super clean to get nice abs. And right now, my abs look great at the top and disgusting around my belly button - though I fear they will even when my body fat is low enough for abs, because I have a tiny bit of loose skin It's just quite difficult when I live with someone who never eats a damn clean thing (and who actually HAS abdominal definition even though she never exercises either - HOW?!) I know that is just an excuse, though. Today is another day which brings on another opportunity to eat clean. I really, really need to be SUPER clean this month because of my photo shoot in January. I know there are ways around showing belly fat, but I don't want to be self conscious!

I, too, am going in "keep it basic" mode and will stay there for awhile

Anne and Stephanie - I love Wicked... both the play and the book. It's amaaaaazing.

Jessica - are you drinking enough water? I know sometimes when I don't drink enough water, my weight balloons up. Then, of course, I drink more water and it goes back down. I doubt it is any kind of a serious issue.... though thyroid problems can be difficult to spot. Perhaps you need to run more than one test (there are the T3 and T4 tests in addition to the typical TSH). I used to think I might have hypothyroid so I got it checked out a few months ago.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #27  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

SusanB, when I was working as a nurse, the hospital would send out employees in 4 wheel drives to pick us up when the roads were bad. Then, there were times I'd end up stuck having to work several consecutive days because people who lived far away wouldn't come in to work. This was a small rural hospital and at times I had to keep both my kids there in a room with me for several days because our water and electricity were off at home due to the ice.

We have below freezing temps this morning but no sign of snow.

I'm doing well again with staying within my calorie limit.

Last night I went and laid across my bed at 9PM to watch Nancy Grace. I fell asleep and didn't wake up til 6:15AM.

DS is mad at Lucy this morning. He received a new Carhartt jacket with his company logo on it at his Christmas party Saturday night. He left it in the living room last night and Lucy chewed the zipper off it. The way the jacket itself isn't chewed, I'm gonna take it to the Dry Cleaners and see if they can replace the zipper.

DH will come home from work today. I'll be glad to see him after the stressful week last week.

Shane,sorry to hear you are having a bad day.

Megan, sounds like really good news about your foot.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #28  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

Morning everyone!

I'm in keep it basic mode as well...I am proud of myself though. Yesterday, even though I was exhausted due to the insomnia, I made it to the gym and did 30 on the elliptical and a few weight machines and then abs. Today is BodyPump and BodyFlow.

Re:Pandora...I used to use it a lot. Not so much lately. It was GREAT when I was studying and didn't want to mess with itunes.

I got in bed at 10:30 last night and,needless to say, had no problem getting to sleep! But I could have slept waaaaaaay past 7:15!

Have a great day everyone!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #29  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hello maintainers,
Incase anybody was curious where I have been, I have just returned from a 3 week holiday vacation with my loving husband in Hawaii. Total relaxation in paradise and sunshine. I did a lot of walking & fresh fruits were in abundance, so those 2 were my saving grace. Of course I splurged more than I should have and drank a few too many drinks in pineapples and coconuts too, but I obviously worked a lot of it off being active. Now that I am back home, I am up a 3 pounds only, so I am thrilled with that truly I am amazed that was all I gained! I am back on track though now, so I am sure I will be back to fighting weight soon enough. Well I have laundry up the ying yang to wash and holiday cards to write, but I will be back soon I am certain peeps. Hope your all doing well.

~wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #30  

Morning!
Well I felt better last night and ate pie (bad, bad), then made it worse by eating another this morning. I dumped the rest before I could eat the whole thing. I got our outside stuff up yesterday. In our attempt to ignore winter I went with a tropical Christmas theme. I hung fruit and Hawaiian dancer lights and strung leis as garland, oh and wrapped plastic flamingos in lights. It's pretty funny. I think I'll keep it traditional inside though. It's supposed to snow today so tropical/ snow should strike my funny bone.
Shane-sorry it's a bad day. As for my abs, oh please, like stretched out elastic.
Lily-Sorry about the jacket but it could have been worse. Our Lucky would probably have eaten the whole jacket.
Megan-hope the foot continues to heal.
Wendalyn-someday I'm gonna make it to Hawaii. They may have to push my gray self in a wheel chair into the surf, but I'm gonna get there.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote