Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #91  
Mel

Megan- HOW did you get a sewing needle in your foot for a year?

I remember writing out goals thread every year since 2002. We used to pull up last years and take a look at how we did on our goals and hopes. Wonder if all the old threads are still around?

I actually don't know what I weigh now. Stepping on the scale makes me crazy and it became a destructive exercise. I do know that my clothes fit well, and this morning at the gym, while working out in a sports bra and cami, when I looked in the mirror my first impression was" wow- I actually like most of my body...but my hair is a mess!" Hair is much more easily fixed and I'm thrilled that I could look at my body without a zillion inner voices critiquing me. So my goal is to stay at this good place, both physically and mentally, and find a new hair stylist!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow, Megan! A needle in your foot for over a year?! So did you keep it as a souvenir? Or maybe the doctor added it to her "strange things removed from people" collection.

Lily, glad your son is safe. What a scary situation! Hope you're having a good time with your grandsons.

Lisa, will have to google Bunch-a-Crunch, but I do know that movies are hard because we're so accustomed to munching while we watch. No on the size 8s--I must have the hips like two battleships because I just can't get into a size 8. Oh, well, just gotta go with what nature gave me. Okay, so we're both going to eat well tomorrow and exercise, right? I took today off from the gym, but I have tomorrow's workout all planned. We're going to Costco tomorrow, though, and sometimes those samples suck me in. Free food!! So I should publically declare that I will not partake of the samples tomorrow.

Pat, sounds like a glorious day in Alaska! And productive, too.

Baffled, you're getting snow over there? Please don't let that stuff drift west. I won't kick you, but here's a gentle nudge to get your exercising again.

I've been taking a break from the Civil War game because I get so antsy when things are tight. But it's in overtime now so I guess I should start rooting for my team. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #93  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I swear LILY you have been soooo blessed to lead such an exciting life! It just must be all fun and games around your home.......mucho

hang in there dear...just think of all the "book" material you are storing up!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #94  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sheila....great game up there...I was busy watcing my USC TROJANS whip UCLA...were you a happy beaver or a sad duck?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

EZ --
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Thanks for all the kicks and nudges. I decided, eventually, that rather than sitting around pondering my new laziness and feeling guilty about it, I should take myself to the gym. So I did. 60 mins of mod intensity cardio and I feel much, much better! There's something about a nice calorie deficit that makes a girl feel good.

Megan. How on earth did you manage to lose a needle in your foot???? How did it even get in there without you noticing?! Thank goodness that it's now removed and you just have to contend with the dreary healing process. The nice thing is that now that you're fit and healthy, you're bound to heal much more quickly and painlessly than you otherwise might. You'll be out exercising and conquering the world again in no time.

Lily, your life really is filled with more drama and excitement than anyone else's. I'm so glad that your son reappeared, unharmed. If I was the praying type, I'd be praying for him in his deployment. As it is, I'll be sending good vibes your way when the time comes.

Sheila, thanks for the nudge. Alas, we've had quite the blizzard by local standards. I think we might have gotten as much as two inches over the last couple of days. <gasp!> You're probably safe on the other side of the Cascades though. So far as I can tell, we have completely different weather patterns out here.

Actually, the thing with this part of the world is that snow is not ever expected. This is my 3rd winter here and the FIRST time that snow has actually accumulated and stuck around for more than 1 day. The city has no plows or salt trucks, people don't own shovels and you can't even buy salt at the grocery store. As a result, 2" causes more chaos here than a foot does in the NE. The streets are a disaster, the sidewalks snowy and slippery and no one knows how to drive in the snow, so traffic is a complete mess and people are skidding around all over the place.

Good times. I'm off to a dinner party where I will probably both eat and drink too much.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Lily, I'm so glad your son is safe. That was really scary, I bet!

Megan, your sewing needle is pretty scary too! I hope your healing goes well. When my broken ankle was healing and I couldn't go anywhere, I got LOTS of reading done. I think I read all of Anna Karenina in about a day and a half!

baffled, I hope you had fun at your dinner party last night. I went to a Christmas party last night and indulged FAR too much. Now I have to be accountable and report to Sheila that I had entirely too much food, wine, and even a glass of eggnog! I feel pretty disgusting today. The scale still said 162, though, so the damage is probably on a two-day delay and I'll see it tomorrow. Eek!

Today I'm trying to squeeze in an 11-mile run, but I also have to make a bunch of cookies for a school thing (I'm going to try really hard to only eat one of each kind) and I need to go shopping again. Looking for a dress for this athletic awards thing tomorrow night. I have to sit on stage and then hand out awards, and I need to look nice. I'm figuring out that dresses don't work very well for my height. I didn't wear a dress for YEARS because of my stomach. I always thought I needed a skirt and then something long to cover my stomach. Now that I can wear dresses, I'm realizing that I have a long torso and many dresses seem to be made for short people! Oh well, I'll find SOMEthing. It's certainly easier to find clothes now than it was 100 pounds ago!

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 12-02-2007 at 08:56 AM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #98  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I had a great time with my grandson's yesterday. The weather was nice and we played outside kicking around a football and soccer ball. Then we pulled out all the old plants from my garden. The 3 yr. old had a fun time squishing all the yucky old tomatoes. Then we pretend camped in our camper for a while. By the time I got them to sleep at 11PM, I was more exhausted than they were. Their dad picked them up early this morning for church. I'm now thinking a nap is in order for me today. I didn't make it on my treadmill yesterday, but I'm sure I had lots of exercise.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Lisa, I've never had that problem with dresses! They always seem to hit around the knee, as they're supposed to. Where are you looking? Maybe you can find a wrap dress. Those are magical and fantastic and quite customizable. I found a great one with 3/4 length sleeves in the sale rack at Banana Republic last week--plenty long enough.

The dinner party was good. We actually did all the cooking and then packed it up and brought it over to our friends' house to serve to everyone. I wanted to make an Ethiopian feast, but these friends are VERY anti-dog and they have little kids, so it seemed easier to do it at their place. The food and the company and the wine were all good.

I have a bunch of work to do today (because I spent all day yesterday cooking) but I'm hoping to be able to go out wine tasting this afternoon. It's barrel tasting weekend and I'd like to have a taste.

Last edited by baffled111; 12-02-2007 at 12:34 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

baffled -- the legs aren't the problem with dresses. They hit in the right spot there, and my legs aren't a problem area so I don't really mind if they're a bit short. It's the torso -- my shoulders to my waist. I think I'm longer there than other people or something - sometimes a dress will fit perfectly but will feel tight in my shoulders, like there's not enough room from the top of my shoulders to my breasts. And if I get a bigger size it's too big everywhere else. Oh well -- I found a chocolate brown dress that looks pretty good, but now I have to find shoes to go with it.

I just ran 6 miles instead of my planned 11. Felt yucky from all that food and wine last night...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #101  

Wow lily, that sounds like fun! Scary about your son being lost BTW. I am very glad that he is Ok again.

Too much posts to respond to the rest of the maintainers- it sounds like everyone is is doing fairly Ok, with the occasional backslides that look like an occupational hazard to maintaining.

I did reasonably Ok exercise wise this week, biked to work 2x, power & yoga, and went for a run & yoga DVD yesterday, so I am at 6 hours. Food was bad again, and I know the reason: tired, stress from a job interview...what can i say? I'll just try again next week.

Have a great week all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #102  
Chuggin' along...

I have no idea how the needle got in my foot, which is the bizarre thing. I've been thinking what I'm sure you're all thinking - how the heck did I miss that??? The Dr. saved me the pieces in a little jar. I'm trying to give it another day of full rest today and can hopefully get back to work tomorrow. I did all my online Christmas (and dad's b-day) shopping for the month. I just have to pick up some things at the store, but the big gifts are taken care of. Whew. Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Pat, sounds like a lovely view!

Rabbit, sounds like you are doing a great job keeping up with exercise. I hope the interview went well (and continue to go well? are there more?).

Baffled, I can't afford Banana Republic clothes at regular prices, but I do love to check their sale rack when I get the chance.

LisaMarie, have a great run, and have fun shopping! Let us know what you find.

Lily, sounds like a fun day. I agree, I'm sure you got quite a workout!

Sheila, I'm guessing your hips really, really don't look like two battleships! My hips and booty also keep me getting into many pants. It's not that they're ginormous, there are just some pants not cut for women with curves. But curves are sexy, right?

Mel, it sounds like you are in a really good place, mentally and physically. Congratulations, I know you can keep it up through the holidays! And good luck finding a new hair stylist.

Back to vegging... the funny thing is that I'm getting a lot of needlepoint done. When my BF first brought me home Thursday, got me settled, and asked what I wanted him to bring to me to keep me occupied, I told him my cross-stitch. He wouldn't bring it to me! LOL. Everyone keeps asking if I really need the needle...
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #103  

Hi megan,

glad to hear that your foot is healing. Please be carefull to keep track of the needlepoint needle!

The job interview...I'm not sure that I really want that job. technically i sure have the expertise that they are asking for. I got a look at the vacancy info when I went up there, and it is a 100% match with what I have...so close that is is actually scary. But I am afraid of the logistics and organisational skills involved to make it a success. The organisation does not seem all that well orgnised, and I am not sure that I want to spend my scarce energy on organising and facilitating my job, while I have a well organised job right now.

I would not have a pay increase, and I would have extra travel time, meaning that I could not bike to work. The only plus would be that it is something different from what I have been doing in the past years, and that I would have more job security. I am not sure it would be worthwhile, and I secretly hope they will take one of the other 2 candidates. My present job is secure for another year, and they go to great lenghts to keep me sane. Since I have it (18 months now) I am slowly but steadily recovering from my burnout, and I am not sure at all that the other job would be as accomodating.

Thanks for asking, it helps me to make my "gut feelings" clear.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #104  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I feel sane again after my long nap this afternoon. I woke up with my legs feeling sore. Then realized it was from doing at least 100 leglifts yesterday with my 30 lb. grandsons on my legs. I'm having them overnight again on Wednesday this week so DH will get to be home to see them then. He misses them so much and was jealous they were here last night while he was at work. But, of course, he is happy that I keep the boys as often as I can.

megan, I'm glad to hear your foot is on the mend.

My son volunteered at Drill yesterday to go Active Duty early. They needed a team of 3 to volunteer to prepare their equipment for deployment. He will be in Little Rock, AR. starting January 1st for this assignment. Fortunately during this assignment he will be able to come home on the weekends because it is only 4 hrs. away. LOL, he has told me in great detail about all of their equipment and I don't have a clue what he's talking about.

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts about my son. I never knew when I had kids that no matter how old they get, I'd still worry about them. LOL, it's amazing my hair isn't gray yet from all the worry with this family.

Rabbitt, it sounds like you are sorting it all out about the job. You will make the right decision.

Last edited by lilybelle; 12-02-2007 at 07:33 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #105  
Working My Way Back Down

A quick fly-by, as I know most of you are in bed now! Well, maybe not the west coast folks.

Had a good and productive weekend. Today was warmer, but very high winds. It was roaring.

My DH baked pfeffernusse (German "pepper nut" cookies) to send to all his family. His mom always gave them to the kids for Christmas - though she bought hers! I had to be available to consult - but he did all the work himself, including the clean-up. He says they taste good too! Now they're boxed up ready to mail.

LisaMarie - I have the same problem with dresses - the waist hits me about the bottom of my ribs. It looks okay, but feels dreadful - I keep tugging it down. (Of course, being 5'4" I also have to shorten most dresses, as my boobs and long torso keep me from fitting into petites)

Baff - have to laugh about the snow. Seattle is the same way. When I was in grad school there it snowed about 3" once and the city came to a complete standstill. I'm going, wtf, just get out there and deal with it! Fortunately it melted later the same day....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote