Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #61  
I wanna be SUPERWOMAN!

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Happy... day...after...Thanksgiving! I'm up at the crack of dawn to go black Friday shopping... might as well get all my Christmas shopping done now while A) things are cheap and B) I actually have some money to spend. Maybe I'll even shop for myself... MAYBE.

I ate a whole bunch of CRAP food yesterday... oops. Still, I did worse things while fat... yeah, that is what I ALWAYS tell myself any time I mess up, because it makes me feel better to know that the FAT me did things far more gluttonous than I have ever done since starting my journey.

Aww, vagabond Thanksgiving, Megan, that is sooo CUTE... I wish I had something like that yesterday. I bet you enjoyed yourself.

Gary, you should be proud of yourself anyway!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #62  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I definitely ate a few high calorie foods yesterday so today will be spent getting back on track and trying to get some walking done. Weight is 147 lbs. this morning.

DH and DS left at 4AM this morning to go deer hunting. It was 27 degrees here, so I opted to stay in my nice warm bed. Weather forecast is calling for "winter mix" for this weekend.

I mentioned how I had bought my kids MP3 players and digital cameras the other day. Lacy had lost her camera a couple months ago and we had searched everywhere for it. Last night DH found the camera when looking in the gun case for his shotgun shells.

My sister joined us for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. The poor thing looks so sick and unhealthy. She looks like she has aged 10 yrs. in the past year. Truthfully she looks like she needs to retire from working at the Prison and just stay home and draw her disability.

A doggy story: My BIL had taken his black Labrador (Drake) duck hunting 2 weeks ago and the dog ran off. He searched everwhere and couldn't find his dog. Randy moped around the house all week and was just inconsolable about losing his dog. Last Sunday at church they were taking prayer requests and my sister stood up and said "I know some of you will think this is silly, but could you please pray that Randy finds his dog". Linda then heard a woman on the pew in front of her say "OMG, now we're praying for a dog". Later that same day, the woman that had made the rude remark called Linda and told her that Drake had showed up at her house. LOL, she was actually very excited that SHE was the one that was able to return Randy his dog.

Last edited by lilybelle; 11-23-2007 at 11:42 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #63  

Hi maintainers,

Wow, I was away from the board for a couplke of days and it is impossible to react to everyone of you!. i was unaware of thanksgiving in the US, i hope you all had a good time.

Lilly - about the GPS thingies for in the car... I went and got one when XH walked out on me, and it is the best investment ever! I don't know what i would do without it, I certainly would not get around as much. I got a TOMTOM, ehinch I believe is also for sale in the US, and i really love it because it tells in so many different ways what wat to go ( I am left/right impaired, AND I do not get maps seen from above, so I appreciate them showing visually in 3 D like I see it from my car how I have to drive)

Pat - squishy snow ?? Yuck! I saw your comment on the other thread and you inspired me to get a lifting DVD. I got the "get ripped" one because all the other were region 1. now maybe I'll get some motivation back!

Meg - How is the wedding going?

Hi to all the other maintainers. So far not a good week to report...only 3 hours of excercise so far, but i did repair my elliptical and it is much less clunky now.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #64  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi all! I actually didn't do too badly yesterday. I worked out in the morning, had my usual cereal for breakfast, and lean cuisine for lunch. I loaded up my plate at dinner half with veggies and half with bits of my favorite dishes (sweet potatoes mostly, cranberry sauce, and a little turkey with gravy). I took seconds of salad and some sweet potatoes, but that's it. I did have a small slice of each type of pie there was for dessert, but amazingly, I didn't totally stuff myself! I was actually hungry again a couple hours after dinner (but I didn't eat any more).

OTOH the scale is up 2lbs this morning. DH and I went for a six-mile walk this morning though so I don't feel super bad about it. What I do feel bad about is that today I am wearing an old pair of size 10 jeans and they don't feel particularly big. I put them on this morning since we were going for a walk in the cold, and I needed jeans big enough to wear another pair of pants underneath for warmth. After taking off my bottom layer later in the day though, the size 10 jeans still fit ok.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Geez you guys! I take a couple days "off" for T-day and come back to over 3 pages of posts!!!

I ran (slow jog plus walked) the Turkey Trot here yesterday morning. DS came in at 36 minutes, I was 37 (and improvement from 45 last year) and DH and DD came in at 47. Everything was wonderful for the holiday! Food was wonderful. Company was great. I have tons of leftovers and what do we do today?--we went to a restaurant for lunch. Tonight is a football game at the high school and tomorrow we're heading to La Habra for dinner at my cousins.

My sister goes for an angiogram on her leg on Monday and they'll know then if they can help her or not. Thanks EVERYONE for the good wishes! It means a lot.

I have no time to answer you all, but I did read everything. I'll have more time Monday when I get back to work and a normal life! 6 houseguests can be tiring!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #66  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Maintainers ~

I hope you all are recovering from your Thanksgiving dishes and enjoyed the time with your families. We certainly did here, we had a wonderful day with family and friends. I did very well on my eating after the 5K...I had a few too many beers though as the day was extended with the USC football game...but for me that was expected

I did weigh in at 169 for the third day in a row , no damage yesterday...we shall see tomorrow!

Angie and I walked a new route today, with the dogs to Starbucks, we mapayrun'ed it and it came to 4 miles...so there goes a few of those calories.

I have been getting some miles in but it is taking some extra effort as I am pretty tired from my days at work. I really wanted to "go strong" to Thanksgiving with the 5K and "journey of better choices"...which I did and am so happy and proud of myself! I have a great support group here with you 3FC gals and my wife...my kids never fail to give me those needed hugs of encouragement either...of course by way of text messages

MEG ~Hope the wedding was awesome!

JESSICA ~Way to stay sensible with the Thanksgiving meal. I am sure those old pants have taken on some "closet shrinkage"

RABBIT ~ Congrats on the repair work on the elliptical.

LILY ~Love the dog story. Prayers for your sister. You guys sure seem to lose a lot of things around there Hope things work out with your son and GF.

SHANE ~I hope you did "good" on your shopping today!

ENNAY ~The 10 min. is a big improvement but last year at this time I was not walking at all, I just took it easy but still ached! Today my quads are hurting because I haven't been running or jogging at all, all I have been doing was walking. I lined up towards the end of the pack, there was 1306 in our race, but ended up jogging to get room...I was doing OK so I stayed with it. I hope things are easing a bit for you.

LISA ~One of our town's high schools boys are up at state today, my step-d's old high school...me and my kids went to the other one in town. Awesome for my son though because he coached one of the boys that went when he was their freshman coach at his old high school before he started teaching. The boy transfered this year. The girls team would have gone too but there #2 runner had a seizure during the race and was ruhed to the hospital...she is OK...but it cost them...she was running in first for their team...ended up missing state by just a few points. Great jog running with your bro!

SHEILA ~I hope you had fun wine tasting today.

KIM ~here is a "push" for a one pound..or less..gain for you on Monday!

MEGAN ~Your Thanksgiving sounded cool!

PAT ~I loved driving through that area of the Gorge when I was coming from california on my way to Kennwewick Wa. when we built a house there. Hope your dinner at church was great.

ALLISON ~Great job on the 5K! Prayers for your sister. Enjoy your time in La Habra...spent many a day there years ago on some tracks!

HI TO EVERYONE ELSE! ENJOY YOUR WEEK-END!

Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #67  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi all.

I too had an amazingly okay T'day dinner! I took little bits of everything there I liked, plus a plate of spinach salad. No seconds! (And can you believe someone brought a huge batch of instant mashed potatoes? What? On Thanksgiving??!! There was one dish to skip ) I did have piece of the apple pie I brought and one of the rolls I made - quality control ya know! But except for a bowl of cold cereal and some coffee later in the day, that was all the food I ate, so I felt pretty good. Today is back to normal....

Except I'm off work! YAY! After all the stress of changes and dealing with the city council and budget hearings, I'm so glad to have a few days away from it. I did a little shopping today - but not at any box stores or malls! I also signed up for a CSA box. There's a place in WA that delivers - by air - direct to our little town! Several people I know are doing it, and gave it good reviews so I decided to give it a spin. It won't start until the week after next since we're pretty set for this coming week. You can go online a few days ahead and see what you're scheduled to get and made adjustments if you want. When you sign up you give them a list of your favorites and a list of what neve to include. I put in the things that we grow - no sense having more of them. It's $37 every 2 weeks, which is probably what I pay for less fresh, non-organic now, so I figure it's a worth a try. If you're in the Western Washington area, it's called Fresh Circle Farm.

That's my excitement other than getting ready to meet with our tax person on Tuesday. Need to see what kind of year-end stuff we need to, and what to plan for next year. This new position has a substantial pay increase in the budget (of course, it may get cut again!) which will impact our tax picture.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #68  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good morning everyone. I don't have much time to post nor catch up today, but I wanted to thanks those who wished good luck/prayers/hope for my mother. The latest news I got (yesterday) are more on the good sides than the bad one, but regardless, I was moved. So thank you.

And now, as usual, I'm going to let the week end on a thread I can't follow from A to Z, but that's okay I guess.

Oh, and for the US people: I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #69  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, maintainers!

Well, it's all over but the leftovers. I can't say that I did all that well over the past two days, but I'll work through it. My problem isn't T-day so much, but the four days of near inactivity that entertaining a partially disabled, football-loving FIL over the T-day weekend entails. I did go for a run on T-day morning, but my right hip started to do its hurt-in-a-bad-way thing, so I'm not going to attempt that again.

Hope your mornings are off to a great start.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #70  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Well I weighed in a up that pound from thanksgiving this morning...dang!.....oh well, being in the 160's for 3 straight days was pretty cool!

PAT ~Obviously I don't know the person, and I would never bring fake potatoes to any dinner...or even eat them now...but I have realized that for some people those types of dishes are the norm for them...what they grew up with and what they know. Enjoy the meeting with the tax person....taxes....arrgh!

KERY ~I am glad to hear the latest news on your mom was good. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.

KIM ~Hope that hip feels better soon. My quads are still sore this morning from my 5K...but getting better. I found in the past if I stick to walking I do a lot better at maintaining "exercise".

Have a great day gals!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #71  

Hi maintainers,

I just popped in to share a personal victory with you...drumroll please...I DID leave the mess in my house this morning to go outside and do a c25k ( I'm stuck in week 5 for a month now) and I RAN OUTSIDE!!!!! And followed it up with a power yoga DVD workout. This may not look like a big thing, but it is to me, as it is the very first time in a long time that I actually took an hour for myself Before I did all my chores.

So HUrray for me for taking time to care for myself.
I am really poud about that.

EZ - sounds like you are on a roll with the 3 days in the 160's. Keep going!

Pat - enjoy a restfull weekend !

Meg - how are you doing ? I am so curious about how the wedding & birthday went !

Keri - glad to hear that about your mom

Have a great weekend,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Good morning everyone!

We got back last night from MIL's house in Portland where we've been since Tuesday night. I'm not even going to try to respond to all the posts that appeared while I was gone! But I did read them all.

Thanksgiving was good. I ate a moderate amount of food, drank an immoderate amount of wine and had a good time. I ate everything in the world yesterday during our car ride back home (we bought chips and cookies to munch on) but it'll all work out in the end.

I did go running each morning while we were there. Mapmyrun is a fab resource. I mapped out a 5k route before I left and then dog and I went out in the mornings. It was great but SOOOOO hilly!!! My town sits in an almost entirely flat valley--a fact I've never appreciated before. My MIL's house is apparently located in a suburban mountain range. The hills were soooo steep and it was tricky to run up and down them. Running downhill is hard! At any rate, I have achy muscles in my calves that I never even knew existed. I can't even figure out how to stretch them.

We did a little bit of shopping on Wednesday: bf needed a new suit for an upcoming job interview (he has lost weight too, and his old suits and jackets are too big in the shoulders). That was a bit of a trauma. He wears a 41L and needs extra fabric in the sleeves so they can be let down another inch or two. There are not a huge number of options in that size, which seems a bit odd to me. There are plenty of tall slim guys wandering around, aren't there?

I got up early yesterday and went to Banana Republic to get myself some new clothes. I'm not really the Black-Friday sort, but if I wanted to check my size in person, that was my only option. (Don't forget--no clothes shopping where I live, so when we go to visit MIL there's always some binge shopping involved.) I got there before the mall actually opened (!!) so I was the first customer and it was pretty mellow. I bought a new pair of jeans (size 4! tight, but nice), some new sweaters and a nice black wrap dress for the holiday party season. I also picked up a couple of sweaters for bf, because I am a devoted gf. They had lovely silk-cashmere men's sweaters that I got for around $40 each after discounts and coupons and sales. Not bad.

Anyway, in all, I feel exhausted by the holiday and I have a ton of work to do this weekend to be ready for school on Monday. Class prep and grading. Ugh.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Last edited by baffled111; 11-24-2007 at 11:49 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #73  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

EZ, yes things do get lost around here very frequently. I think the 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old grandsons are usually the culprits.

Kery, it's good to hear that your mom got some better news.

Pat, my XMIL used to make fake potatoes and stove top stuffing on the holidays. We all hated it, but ate it anyway. This yr. I made some diabetic fluff stuff and my DH and kids thought it was horrible. I loved it. DH and I both loved my SF apple pie.

Rabbit, WTG on taking time for yourself for exercise. I know how hard that is to do when the house is messy and time is limited. I am also definitely going to get a GPS thing for my car. I hate getting lost and it happens to me quite frequently. I think it would be money well spent.

Baffled, we live in a very hilly area and it makes my outside walk much more treacherous too. But, I sure feel like it gives me a good workout. I always walk down the hills though cause I'm so clumsy I'd fall if I tried to jog it. It sounds like you had a nice shopping trip too. I want some more new clothes too , but mine will have to wait til after the holidays.

Jessica, I had a similar jeans experience. I wore my size 6's that my son had bought me purposefully on T-Day cause they are my "baggy" jeans. Well, they sure didn't seem that baggy to me. Actually they were quite comfy.

Last night I had kind of a reverse NSV. I have been struggling with maintaining at about 147-152 lbs. My DH told me " I think you look much better at this weight than when you were at 139-140. Your butt looks more curvy and your legs don't look excessively skinny". Of course, I still want to see that lower number again on the scale.

Did anyone else catch the Arkansas/LSU game yesterday? WooHOOO , Go Hogs.

Last edited by lilybelle; 11-24-2007 at 01:07 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #74  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. I'm hiding out on the computer while DH makes jelly! He picked the berries and he eats all the jelly in this household, so he thought he should be the one to make it. I worry for my kitchen. I got my bread made and left it to rise and I'll hide here for awhile.

Tonight there are fireworks in town put on by a local hairdresser. He did them for his 50th b'day several years ago and everyone loved it, so he's done them every year since. Afterwards we may go to the ice arena for open skating. DH has consented to help me. I can skate forward slowly. But it's a good balance exercise, and for some people it can be cardio. I'm a long way from that however.

Baffled - I've always considered Portland proper as being pretty hilly, so it doesn't surprise me that the suburbs are. I agree on running downhill - hard.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #75  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Did anyone else catch the Arkansas/LSU game yesterday? WooHOOO , Go Hogs.
Yep! didn't bother me at all to see LSU lose again!