Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Sorry about all the family trouble Lily! What a frustration it must be.

Dawg, I love the convict-hound story.

However, I am feeling a very strong need to defend the adorability of black lab/shepherd mutts!!! My dog is good looking and smart and charming, despite being a mutt and not being a yellow lab. Harumph!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

lily, it's because lots of people are completely ignorant and inconsiderate when it comes to illness. If they've never had one, they don't give a crap about anyone else's. People also fail to recognize that illnesses are even present in those who do not constantly talk about them and/or "look" sick (who the **** does, anyway? Pale people who weigh less than 80 pounds?) -- it might have been a rhetorical question, but you still asked! glad you feel better, though!

DG and Gary, both your dogs are beautiful I love golden retrievers and labs... however... I'm MOST partial to SMALL dogs. I have a 5 pound chihuahua and he's ADORABLE, in my humble opinion :

Attachment 27622

Attachment 27623

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-17-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #93  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everybody...waddling in this morning...ugh.. Okay, so DD birthday started a landslide of bad eating... So far so good today...but I didn't get my workout in yesterday and what is worse I didn't get any yoga done either! (Always a horrible thing for my mood and mental state!!!!) I saw 156 on the scale this morning and totally deserved it, which I hate!

The morning started off bad with being rushed and grumpy...feeling all out of sorts. I really need to get off my butt and go work out! I can't decide whether to do some yoga first or not though...hmmm.

I have to say the dog story made me laugh though! I love dogs but Hubby and Daughter are allergic and we haven't been in a position where we could get the kind of dog that I would want (a LARGE one!) So, have to wait for the right time for that one.

Just popping in! Hellooo! lol
Old 11-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Gotta post a photo of DD--this is the composite that the photographer did for her. He's going to hang it in his studio.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...nnell/Dana.jpg
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #95  

Allison-Your dd is beautiful
Baffled-mine is a lab/mutt too
Lily-yes, family is annoying. Mine are always shocked when I can't drop everything to help them with something. Hellooooo? Lots of kids here

Now I have to add, that even though we have a dog and he is great, I LOVE my six-toed, mitten pawed cat. Am I the only cat person?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And I love my cockapoo, Sparky.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #97  
Working My Way Back Down

Lisa - I am a cat person. We usually have 2, but our old cat died last spring and we're down to one, very demanding Siamese. I love dogs, but my DH doesn't so we don't have one. Here's my baby:

Megan - I like your whoosh analogy! It's usually how I lose weight - in chunks!

Last edited by WaterRat; 11-16-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Animal photos!! Yes!! I've had dogs large and small, but I think medium is the best. The pretty girl below is my "heart" dog--a mix of Husky and Aussie supposedly (love my mutts!). Even after three years, I can't even think of getting another dog because I know I can't find one as sweet.

Joyofsix, I have three cats who keep me both amused and annoyed. Kind of like kids, I guess. The photo below is the one who likes to stroke me affectionately with her claws to get my attention.

Allison, what a great photo!! Photography has come a long way since I was a high school kid. USC has a great marching band from what I've heard (rumors, not the actual music), and I believe they treat the band better than at other PAC-10 schools. I can say that because I live in a college town where people write letters to the editor protesting all sorts of stuff. Chico is a pretty cool town, though--one of my favorites when we used to visit my grandmother in No. Cal.

Megan, thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you're an incredibly busy person. After reading your post, I felt like taking a nap.

Lily, so sorry about your SD's insensitivity. It's hard to believe that she gets her kids so seldom and then wants to send them to a babysitter. Although from what I've read previously, maybe it's not that hard to believe. I hope you feel better soon.

I went to the gym today after a couple of days away. My cold must have settled into my chest because I was breathless after 10 minutes on the elliptical and had to stop. It was not a good feeling. But I did manage 20 minutes on the bike and 40 minutes of weight lifting. Surprisingly, after my 30 minute walk yesterday, I was sore. Guess I was using some different muscles, or maybe it was those hills??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg molly96.jpg (24.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg mitchsmall.jpg (2.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg tesssmall.jpg (2.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #99  
Meg

Good morning! I feel awful that I haven't been around, but things are shifting into high gear for DD's wedding. And Thursday was a surprise birthday party for my dad, so ...

DH and I fly to New Mexico on Monday morning and the rest of our family trickles in Tuesday and Wednesday. that we don't have snowstorms anywhere in the country that back up the whole air travel system. We'll all have Thanksgiving dinner together in Albuquerque (I don't have to cook!) on Thursday, and then the wedding will be Friday. We have 12 people flying out in a 90 minute time period on Saturday morning, and if all goes as planned, I'll be back in my computer chair next Sunday morning, panicking about the impending arrival of Christmas.

Any cat people here? We have five, which qualifies me to be a Crazy Cat Lady, according to DH. Each of the five came from a different state (PA, OH, NM, NJ, and FL) so I tease DH that I want the complete set of 50. He doesn't think it's funny.

Allison, that's a beautiful photo! My DD was in band too, and I still have her graduation picture with her silver trumpet here in the living room.

Lily, good for you for standing up for yourself!

A special For Anne --

and to everyone else -- I'm SO sorry that I've gotten behind. But I've missed two days at the gym and figure I better go burn some birthday cake calories off before they settle permanently on my hips.

Hope everyone is having a restful weekend!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #100  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, maintainers!

I'm up early this morning, for no particular reason, and think I'll head to the grocery store before the pre-T-day craziness gets in high gear. I like getting the shopping done first thing on the weekend. Not only is the store less crowded, but because The Boy is still sleeping I can travel the aisles in something other than the car cart. You know, the kind that are about 10' long, two inches wider than the checkout lanes, and have the turning radius of the Queen Mary.

I'm up a couple of pounds this morning. Not too surprising given three work dinners, two work lunches, and a work happy hour this week. Ah, well, I'll try to chip away at it this weekend before the next work dinner on Monday.

OK, so now I have the half-on-half-off cat, Charybdis, laying across my wrists as I'm trying to type. (And snoring!) The other cat, Scylla, is pacing back and forth across the screen and putting her tail in my nose with every pass. Not exactly a rock and a hard place, but close enough.

Meg, have a wonderful trip. Allison, Dana is absolutely beautiful. Everyone else ... stay strong!

Kim
Old 11-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #101  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good morning/afternoon. I too wasn't very present this week, sorry for that.

Everything was so very weird this week anyway; lots of people on the campus are protesting against new laws regarding universities, several assemblies have been held (it seems that people don't vote in favour of blocking the buildings in sign of protest, to they... carry on the assembly the next day in the hopes that one of these days, the vote will be positive -_-), and things are starting to get heated. Yesterday, when I came back on the campus at 2 pm for my Japanese class, the main building was completely closed. It seems that someone found it funny to set fire to a pair of curtains in one of the classrooms (a 'sign of protest' is my guess, because I've never known curtains to be very skilled in spontaneous self-combustion), and the firemen ordered the administration personnel to forbid teachers and students from entering for reasons of security. I don't know what next week will be made of, but it's definitely weird.

The eating hasn't been going too great, although in general I've been eating 'well' about 70% of the time (not enough in my book), but right now all I can do is muster all my willpower to not gobble down a pint of ice-cream or something while waiting on phone calls. My mother's in the hospital with a phlebitis, and they're performing more tests to see if she had other blod clots elsewhere. She already had thrombosis in the lungs, followed by a first phlebitis, 20 years ago when pregnant with my sister, so they want to make sure, given this data, that there's nothing else. I'm waiting for more information this week-end, and I must admit it's hard to not "soothe" myself with food at the moment (I failed yesterday, today I don't want to add this burden onto the rest any longer). I'm not in the same town as my parents, I don't even have enough money to take the train right now and go there, and I swear, I hate being so totally powerless in the face of adversity.

Okay, enough moaning.

Meg -- I hope you have a fun week and a fun Thanksgiving. Maybe it's a nightmare regarding food, but if there's fun going around, it's always a positive thing all the same... I think. ^_^

Lily -- That sure was selfish. I hope you get better, and that there'll be no relapse of illness or whatever it's called. I don't know why people don't understand that illness + another illness doesn't equal 'no risk to catch nything new'? It doesn't make any sense to me. Ah, well.

Everyone else -- Hello, and I'll post more a next day or in the next thread.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm a cat person!

We joke that if DH goes first, I'll be that lady on the news ... city condemns crumbling home to eccentric elderly woman and her dozens of feline friends.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm definitely a dog person and I really do need to get another dog eventually. I've always said I like cats as long as they belong to someone else!! The odd thing, though, is there's a stray cat that comes around and I've started feeding him. He's a sweet kitty but I don't really want to take him in. He's just sort of the neighborhood cat. I'll miss him if he stops coming around, though. Oh, and I'm definitely a medium or large dog person - little dogs are cute, but I've always preferred nice big outdoorsy dogs.

I've been doing really well with my eating and I've been down to 160 for the last two days, so I'm changing my ticker and putting the 115 lbs lost chickie up. Woohoo!

I checked my BMI for the first time in a while and it's 23.6. Yay, I'm out of the 24s! Not that it means anything really, but it's cool to sort of be deeper into the "normal" category instead of on the verge of "overweight."

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 11-17-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #104  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, your daughter is very beautiful and that is a great pic.

Meg, I am getting better at standing up for myself where all these kids and stepkids are concerned.

Well, I had posted that I wasn't gonna weigh til Thanksgiving, but went ahead and hopped on scale yesterday. I had been weighing about 147 lbs. and saw 148 lbs. yesterday. (but I ate 2 wheat pancakes and 2 cups of coffee before I weighed, so I suspect I've been maintaining). Which is OK, but I had hoped to be back in the lower 140's before the holidays hit.

I am definitely a dog person but in addition to my Labs, we do have one cat. This cat absolutely adores me but I don't know why.

I am feeling even better this morning. Still have a nasty cough and shortness of breath but the fever is now gone. I will be so happy when my breathing improves and I can get back to my regular cardio. routine. I feel like a slug when I can't even walk.

Kery, yeah, it is so dumb how she thought since the boys were sick anyway that it wouldn't make any difference for them to be around me. The boys had vomiting and diarrhea and I have a respiratory infection. None of us needed all that at the same time. I would have refused even if what they had was also respiratory, cause there is no guarantee we had the same strain of virus. Anyway, she hasn't spoken to me since my refusal and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Lisa, WTG on the BMI change. BTW, if you keep feeding that kitty, it is yours, lol. (That's how we got most of our kitties over the years. They tend to keep hanging around where they get fed).

Oh, I forgot about my really Great news, DH got a 15% payraise at his work yesterday. This will sure make things a little easier.

Last edited by lilybelle; 11-17-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

Meg~don't feel bad that you haven't been around. You have a lot on your plate right now!

Lily~I'm sure the weight was from what you ate. I'm happy to say that I'm finally down to ticker weight again. I've struggled for the past few weeks and got all the way up to 147 myself.

Kery~I hope your mom gets better. Blood clots are scary.

Lisa~great BMI! Congrats and wow, I guess I hadn't paid enough attention to your avatar. You've done a great job!

I got up for my run this morning and it was just horrible. I couldn't even make a mile. I usually walk 2-3 blocks, run a mile, walk 2 blocks and run all the way back home (about 1.2 miles-ish). Today I maybe got a half-mile run in and then walked a mile and then did 2 or 3 small run intervals. I suspect I may have had a hot flash (at least that's what I'm blaming it on! LOL). It wasn't particularly warm but I was sweating a lot more than usual with a lot less exertion.

My parents arrive this morning for 2 weeks. I got my patio set (but they sent the wrong chairs--we'll get the right ones in 3 weeks). I have a ton of stuff to get done before the folks arrive, so I'm signing off. I just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing. Thanks for everyone taking a gander at DD. Can you tell I'm proud of her?
Closed Thread