Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #46  
Working My Way Back Down

The last 3 jobs I've had have been in government where they post the salary range with the advertisement so the best you can do is negotiate where in that range you start! But I agree, if you can find out what the company, or at least other similar jobs in the area, pay, you'll have a better idea what to put.

It's so hard to come back after 3 days off - I could easily have used 3 more. I was excited to get an email that our dept head meeting was cancelled, and then the City Manager's secretary called and I now have a meeting with him at that time. Darn, there's always a lot to catch up on after a 3 day (or longer) weekend.

Robin - what a great cake! I don't eat cake as a rule (never have liked it much) but I'd be in there helping you with yours!

I'll join Jessica and who ever else with scale frustration. I've been eating about 90% clean for the last several weeks, and getting to the gym on a regular basis. My pants are loose, I'm freezing all the time, and not a pound down! Grrrrrrr.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Ugh, I hate the salary requirements thing too -- everyone else has given good advice about it and I have nothing to add. Just had to say -- I hate awkward stuff like that! When I got hired as a teacher, I didn't have to worry about it because it was a set salary depending on years of experience.

Had a pretty good day today but for some reason I'm STARVING right now. I'm going to have to make sure I don't start snacking, because I'm kind of tempted to right now. I plan to just keep busy. I'm not used to getting home at 5:00pm, so the loooooong evening can become snacky if I'm not careful. And I did a short trail run that took a lot of energy so that made me hungry.

Tomorrow I won't get to exercise because I have an after-school thing and won't get home until 10 or 11pm. Sigh... but hey, at least I won't get to snack! (as long as I'm not tempted by the snacks at the event I'm working...)
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #48  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Robin, that was so sweet of your family for making that "cake" for you. It looks really yummy.

I'm so frustrated right now because I can't exercise. I barely was able to get my shoes on. Something is wrong with the left side of my back. Feels like maybe kidney pain or nerve pain and radiates down midway on my left thigh. I haven't injured myself that I recall. I stayed off the computer all day today cause it hurt too much to even sit up in the chair. I may end up seeing a Dr. tomorrow if this pain doesn't improve.

Sad news today. A cop friend of DH's died unexpectedly last night. All our kids knew him well. He was only about 36 yrs. old and had surgery last night for a bowel problem and then coded and died. His son is in Lacy and Shelbey's grade and the girls are pretty shocked and upset.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #49  
Meg

Lily, yikes, that doesn't sound good. Definitely get checked out if it's not better in the morning. And that's so sad about DH's friend.

Pat, at our age, I think we have to eat 110% clean for any results.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #50  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Robin! What an awesome cake! Today is my DD sixteenth birthday and I am sorry to say that her cake is not nearly so diet friendly... Actually, this day is pretty much a diet loss... DH had an appt this morning...I left my favorite travel mug there! Argh!!! I called and they are going to hold on to it for me, he is going to pick it up tomorrow. New rule, leave mug in car!!!
We had to pick up new boots, her cake, drop library books off, get gas, stop at mall for auto registration...ended up at Arby's where I ate curley fries...then pretzel bites...(very bad!!!) We got home just in time to get decorations up and pizza ordered before the kiddo got home from school. We let her open her presents before her actual party...she was thrilled like I knew she would be...but it is another diet minefield...I have already eaten 2 snickers miniatures as well...ugh...I am not feeling hungry so I may try to avoid the pizza but I know I will end up with at least a piece of the cake... I didn't have the time to work out either...not good... I feel funky from all the carbs already... Tomorrow will be better though...back to normal.
Shane! I love your avatar! You're hot Girl! I love Happy Bunny...I have the "Make the stupid people shut up!" shirt. Thanks for the welcome everybody. It has been really rough but things are good at the moment and other than moments where I still feel scared out of my mind for him...we are hanging in there. He did a bunch of yardwork this weekend and washed and detailed the car. He is feeling pretty good and I am so grateful for that.
I have to get off here...her friends should be showing up any minute and we have a couple of our friends coming over as well.
Lilybelle...I have been reading alot of your posts...I hope you feel better soon and I am sorry to hear about your friend...
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That's awful, Lily! And the thing with your back isn't good either. Hopefully the doc can sort it out for you tomorrow.

That cake is adorable Robin! Your family must be fantastic and so supportive of you.

However, you're showing me up as entirely non-virtuous!!! Today is my birthday and we're having stuffed mushrooms, roast lamb with roasted veggies and a molten chocolate cake for dessert. And actually, while I truly admire and respect the discipline and resolve of people like Robin, it's times like this that I really am glad that I'm not an all-or-nothing person when it comes to weight maintenance. I want to be able to eat chocolatey treats on my birthday (and, ok, at other times too). I think this is one of the advantages to being tall and youngish: although if the fact that I've had another birthday (32!!!!) is any indication, the latter won't last forever. But my calorie allotment is so generous that it really does make me wonder how I manage to gain weight in the first place. (Hint: exercise makes a difference!!!)

Ok, enough of all that.

to all.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #52  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

Happy Birthday, Baffled!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 AM   #53  
Meg

Happy belated birthday, Baff!!

And happy belated birthday to your DD, Raven. Bad carbs make me feel yucky, too. Sometimes I end up having to go to bed early because they knock me out. I call it a Carb Coma and it's a big reason I try to talk myself out of eating crap.

Tomorrow is the surprise 80th birthday party for my dad HERE, so lots of cleaning and baking to do. Wish I could get the cats to cooperate, but they just keep shedding wherever I've cleaned. I have a vacuum with one of those clear plastic containers instead of a bag -- scary amounts of cat fur.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Baffled must not have entered her birthdate into her profile. I missed it!
Happy belated! which is OK because we wish you happiness every day.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #55  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Happy belated, my near-twin Baffled! And happy birthday, inspirational (and Rockin') Robin! My all your fruit be super sweet this week.

I've had three work-related meals this week already, and three more to go. Recruiting season is absolutely insane!

On the salary requirement thing, social science research pretty clearly shows that women tend to sell themselves short and ask for less than their qualifications and experience suggest they should get. (Men, on average, don't.) And, there's also some evidence that women tend not to negotiate and self-promote as much and men, in part because they're more likely to get tagged with the label of "greedy b***h."

So, even though it's "awkward", don't be afraid to ask for what you *really* want, because no one's likely to just offer it to you! Remember, too, that because pay raises are often tagged to prior salary, the long-term consequences of selling yourself short near the beginning of your career are hy-uge!

OK, that's enough of my public service for women announcement...

Kim

Kim
Old 11-14-2007, 07:25 AM   #56  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

A quick check in before work this morning to let you all know I am alive and well...and BUSY!! With stuff....

Happy Birthday BAFF!

LILY ~Prayers for your friend's family...how very sad.

Good luck opening the gym PAM

ALLISON sorry about the patio set...the ones I get are usually in stock...at K-Mart...wink....oh, and I am working on a big remodel for a Honda dealer at the end of Hemet.

ROBIN SA-WEET!

I haven't forgotten the rest of you...it's just tough catching up at 4:30am....gotta get to work.......

Up to 172.....but maintaining!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-14-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Happy birthday, baffled!

In regards to salary requirements/requests, I agree with Kim... selling yourself short will only make you miserable in the long run. I've sold myself short countless times because I did not want to appear greedy, or worse not get hired because I requested too much money, despite being willing to go a little lower if asked.

Speaking of jobs, I took the required tests for the position yesterday and passed - not with flying colors, but I met the city requirements, which keeps me from getting disqualified (I heard their tests also filter out a lot of people ). Oh. I can type at 92 words a minute with 100% accuracy!

I got really bad test anxiety, and then my blood sugar started dropping hardcore (which might have made me miss more questions), so I opened up a pack of Skittles then got yelled at for it because "NO food or drink is ALLOWED in this test taking facility!" I popped a handful of Skittles in my mouth and put them away... I didn't feel like arguing or reasoning with the grumpy lady when other people were taking their tests.

Robin, I have to agree that the "cake" looks delicious and healthy. That was so cute of your kids to do. But like Baffled, I went all out on my birthday... and ate smothered chocolate cake

Raven, oh, I'm hot? Thank you for thinking so! Happy Bunny rocks... I have a whole bunch of shirts... "I saw your mom on the internet," "let's focus on me," "you're so dumb," and "you smell like butt." I need to get "make stupid people shut up."
Happy birthday to your DD! I don't know too many 16 year olds who would be okay with a diet friendly cake

Lily, here is a big for all you've been going through lately All that pain sounds scary and I'm sorry to hear about your DH's friend - how unexpected !

Meg, Happy birthday to your dad! (And DAMN there are A LOT birthdays here lately!) Also, I think you are right that at your age, you need to try much harder - I'm helping my mom lose those last 5 pounds and I registered her an account on fitday, where I noticed that despite weighing more than me, she burns significantly less calories in a day as a basal than I do. So... yeah... eat clean or hardly eat, I suppose!

Speaking of clean eating, I ate very clean yesterday and will do so again today. I'm trying to follow the saying, "if you can shoot it or grow it, you can eat it," as I have no doubt in my mind that getting nice abs will be much more of a challenge than losing weight or even toning up any other part of my body Ah well!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 11-14-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #58  

Height: 5'7"

Yesterday was not such a good day, complete with a major panic attack yesterday morning. Things have been very stressful at work, and with the 2 y.o., and one on the way, and sickness and fatigue, and the worry and uncertainty, and the dogs, and the day-to-day stuff, I just got myself completely overwhelmed. Not good. I haven't had a panic attack since grad school when I was finishing up my dissertation. Plus I couldn't stomach coffee yesterday, which didn't help.

Today is better so far. I have to get through today, tomorrow and then I'm done with work for the week. I can do that. Friday is a day off and DD is going to day care, so I'm going to relax. DH is buying his new car, so that should be fun.

And Saturday is finally El Tour de Tucson, so DD & I are going to have a picnic lunch and watch Daddy and the rest of the bicycle racers move into the home stretch of their 109 mile odyssey. Then there will be napping and Daddy will return to his normal cycling schedule, which means, MORE help!! Not that he hasn't stepped it up a lot already, but I'm about a step away from useless right now after the aforementioned list o' cr@p has to get done.

Happy Birthday to, well, everyone!

Anne
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #59  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
That's awful, Lily! And the thing with your back isn't good either. Hopefully the doc can sort it out for you tomorrow.

That cake is adorable Robin! Your family must be fantastic and so supportive of you.

However, you're showing me up as entirely non-virtuous!!! Today is my birthday and we're having stuffed mushrooms, roast lamb with roasted veggies and a molten chocolate cake for dessert. And actually, while I truly admire and respect the discipline and resolve of people like Robin, it's times like this that I really am glad that I'm not an all-or-nothing person when it comes to weight maintenance. I want to be able to eat chocolatey treats on my birthday (and, ok, at other times too). I think this is one of the advantages to being tall and youngish: although if the fact that I've had another birthday (32!!!!) is any indication, the latter won't last forever. But my calorie allotment is so generous that it really does make me wonder how I manage to gain weight in the first place. (Hint: exercise makes a difference!!!)

Ok, enough of all that.

to all.
HAppy Belated birthday to you.

As far as my not eating any "real" cake on my birthday. Well, actually I find that real easy. It's everyone ELSE'S birthday where there could be a problem. My birthday is such a non-issue to me. My oldest daughter's birthday is 3 days before mine. My middle daughter 2 weeks prior to that. I LOVE my kids birthday and we celebrate that plenty. But my birthday, it's kinda low key. And that's the way I like it. That fruit platter was splendid for me, simply devine in fact. The fruit was excellent and the thought of it just bowled me over. I've got plenty of other days to splurge on, but when it's my birthday, I really enjoy the fact of staying ON plan. I know, I'm just weird.

Hang in there Anne. Sorry to hear about yesterdays day, glad today is better and hopefull tomorrow will be better still.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Happy belated, my near-twin Baffled!
How come I always have to be the flabby sister?!

Thanks for all the birthday greetings, everyone. I had a pretty busy day at work, but dinner with bf was lovely. I'm going to have another busy day today and then the pace will slow down until after the Thanksgiving break. Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
when it's my birthday, I really enjoy the fact of staying ON plan. I know, I'm just weird.
I do know what you mean, Robin. I took great pleasure in having a good, hard, heavy workout at the gym yesterday as a birthday pressie to myself (and also as a buffer against my dinner. )

Anne, so sorry you're feeling so stressed out. Panic attacks are no fun. I have them occasionally for dissertation-related reasons and it is really very unpleasant.

Shane, congrats on jumping the test hurdle!

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Last edited by baffled111; 11-14-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Closed Thread