Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I want to be below 140 by January 1. This should be possible, but barely. It means I'll have to step it up.

Last year I lost 4 pounds in December--in spite of some Xmas treat foods coming into the house. I had to lock them up, though, or toss them.

Yep, I can do this.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up It's never over. Stay on track.

At the beginning of my journey two years ago, I lost a steady two pounds a week through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years - parties and big family gatherings included.

Now in maintenance, my goal is to avoid slipping back into old habits as if I'm done with all that stuff.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXXXX 14 XXX|||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 17. 25 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #18  
No description available.

I plan to weigh less on Jan 1 than I do now. I don't have a hardcore weight in mind but I have been averaging a pound to 2 pounds a week.

Thanks for the prompt, Meg. This is a good time to think about what I want to accomplish through the end of the year and how I want to kick off '08.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #19  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

For me, I honestly would like to just continue to MAINTAIN my weightloss not only thru the new year but 4-eva! I am older and wiser now, so I know what I have to do, and I plan to continue doing it!
My goal has always been 145 which is an ideal weight for my athetic build as I am 5 ft 8.5 inches tall.
So I just want to be able to keep reigning in this ideal weight if the scale takes an upward movement. Today I weigh 143.5, I am pretty proud being even a tad lower than goal. I have been maintaining my weightloss for going on 8 months now and I feel fantastic!

I also hope my binge days are far and few in between for the rest of this year and in all my maintenance years to come....
~wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #20  

Default Stay below 130

I have to update my sig bar--I am at a comfortable weight now (128) and plan to stay below 130 into the new year.

How: continue the portion control, continue the exercise. The basics always work!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

I am currently out of work on disability (pregnancy). don't know when I am going back to work but it wont be until around the first of the year. I was 240 when I got pregnant and was 241 the last time I weighed. I would love to go back to work weighing no more than 210.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, I've already broken almost all of my rules, at least in spirit. Instead of going to the gym on Friday I went for a walk, but at least I made sure it was brisk and walked twice as long as I do on the treadmill. Saturday I ate at restaurants TWICE, and then ate at the in-laws' house Sunday, making THREE treat meals this weekend instead of one. I even ate dinner twice on Saturday. Then last night I had small pieces of four different desserts. Not more than two servings of any one thing, but more than two servings of dessert total. I don't know what's wrong with me, I have just fallen off the wagon completely here.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #23  
Chuggin' along...

I've given this post a lot of thought since Meg started the thread a few days ago. I've been on maintenance since March 2005. I barely hit my lowest weight (135/136), spent my first year hovering at the top of my maintenance range (135-140), dabbled with 142 for about 6 months and the last year I've crept to 153 at the top, 150 now. I see a trend I don't like and since the end of August (153) have been trying to get it together. I hoped to lose more, but so far have lost 3 lbs. I am setting the ambitious goal of 142 by January, but will be happy if I am at 145 January 1st (but will still continue to work my way down). I'm going to the Florida Keys in January and want to look nice in my bikini! (I felt like a marshmallow last summer.)

I don't think I've ever tried to lose weight during the holidays. It seemed too daunting a task. This year, I am. I really don't want to eat the cookies and countless other "holiday treats" that I know will show up in the office all November and December. If I eat one, I will eat 10. I know this about myself. I pretty much gave up and had many holiday treats last year, and I don't want a repeat of it. As has been said already, they are "holiDAYS", not "holiMONTHS."

My plan was to be vigilant about exercise. I have just injured my foot and have put myself off weight-bearing cardio for the next 2 weeks to see if my body will heal itself. In the meantime I will expand my weight lifting program, esp. upper body and core and minus some of the leg exercises that I think will aggravate my foot, and see if bicycling doesn't bother my foot. If it goes on for longer than that I may ask a neighbor/friend if I can start using his pool and come up with a longer-term 'staying active' plan. I will still be as active as I can, while letting myself heal.

I will be extra vigilant about my food intake. As I stated above, I'm avoiding every day "treats" of foods that make my body feel terrible and don't fit into my eating plan. At our office Thanksgiving lunch, I will stick with turkey and vegetables. I think we're going to BF's family's for Turkey Day. Truth be told, their home cooking just isn't like my mom's so hopefully I'm not as tempted to overeat (haven't been in the past), and I won't have to deal with the leftovers either. My roommates are going to cook at home so I may have those leftovers to deal with when I get home, but I will tell myself "not mine" and try to ignore them. I will focus on enjoying my time with him & his family, instead, as it should be.

Christmas is my worry. I'm going to my parents' for a week. They actually set up a separate table to hold all the holiday treats - (junk food) gifts from friends, neighbors, their students, and they still feel the need to make their own traditional recipes. I have never successfully ignored, or even portion-controlled, when walking by this "fat table" in their house all the time. On top of that are all the fairly high-cal/large portion meals they cook every night, plus a big Christmas dinner. I am going to enjoy the Christmas dinner, but with portion controls. I am going to try and eat sensibly the rest of the visit, and this includes just doing my best to bypass the fat table. I will put in my yearly plug for "smaller amounts of treats" and I will volunteer to cook a night or two. They do have an indoor pool and weight room I can use, so even if my foot is still injured hopefully I can swim and do weights - just must stay motivated on 'vacation' to actually use them. Maybe I can talk my sis into swimming with me.

Thanks for letting me think through this "out loud." Good luck to all of us, we can do it! I wish everyone a happy, safe, healthful holiday season to enjoy with our friends and families!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #24  

I've been pondering this. I want to put something in black and white but I need to be realistic so....I'd like to be donw 4 pounds by Jan1. I've been experimenting and I just can't cut back too much or my milk supply dips too much. But slow and steady wins the race.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #25  

Hi all!

Just checking in to see how my favorite group of maintainers is doing. I don't post a lot, but I always find myself coming back here to read about everyone's inspirational progress when I am in a funk.

Some good news on the maintenance front for me - I lost a good chunk of my unwelcome regain during July and August. However, since that time I have struggled once again to keep on track and continue going DOWN. Despite the challenges, I have been vigilant about exercise, eating healthy, and taking some time every day to be thankful for what I have and what I achieved.

So, that said, I am looking to be 150 at the first of the year. Depending on which scale I use, that is approximately 6-8 pounds. The only way to do this, for me, is to stick to the program and exercise hard (read: uncomfortable, challenging, even painful at times) at least 5 days a week.

Everyone have a great holiday season!
Diamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Bringing this up to the top so I can review and assess my progress thus far (this thread is similar to the hopes, dreams, etc. for 2008 thread but is only for the remainder of 2007):

I first wrote: "My goal is to lose 4 pounds per month in November and December (putting my weight at 152). I'll do this by continuing to eat as I've been eating and walking as I have been for the past 8 months."

Well, I succeeded in losing 4 pounds in November, so right on track with my goal of losing 8 pounds by January 1.

I also wrote: "A challenge for me during this time will be a week-long vacation just before Christmas. I will bring my breakfast cereal (in single-serving containers) and protein snacks and continue to keep my eating on plan. I'll continue walking every day. I WILL do this!"

This is still looming. We leave in less than 2 weeks, but I resolve to stay on plan and make my goal. I will check back in with this thread at the end of December to reassess my progress.
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #27  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Mary from Maine -- thanks for moving the thread up, and congratulations on losing the November 4 pounds! Just keep plugging away, you'll get there!

I'm already a bit behind my maintenance goal. I need to chip away about 3 pounds before Jan 1. Not impossible, by any means. My exercise is already in place, but I just need to refocus on eating clean.

And on that note, I'm off to a lunch meeting at which I have little control over the menu.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #28  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Hi,
(I am not yet a maintainer, but I certainly don't want to GAIN WEIGHT)

I am joining this thread a little late, but, I would really like to see 169 or 170 on New Years Day 2008!!!!
Guess I need to get my BUTT TO THE GYM,
like NOW!
Bye!
Thanks Meg!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote