Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Default My hair

I don't always wear a size 4... just sometimes. I wear a 6 in some others. I'm not tiny; trust me. I have a large bone structure that will prohibit me from *ever* being tiny/bite sized/itty bitty unless my skin is clinging onto my skeleton for dear life. I've finally learned to be okay with this, though I still can't believe my SKINNY girlfriend and I wear almost the same size. We've been getting some comments like "WOW you are both the same size now!!" which for some reason or another annoys the crap out of her

Gary, what it means is... men are MISERABLE PATIENTS! That's alright, I am a miserable patient, too. I rarely get sick, but when I do, I'm pretty much intolerable. I whine hardcore if I'm in pain, too. It's ok.
Seriously? It's just hard to see the one you love sick and in pain.

carolyn, my hair is about an inch long on the sides but much longer on the top. I did have a mohawk, but i cut the back off - too much maintenance. If I wanted to let my hair down or did not have time to run it through the blow dryer + hairspray routine, it looked all kinds of bad. I didn't want to have anything resembling a rat tail or mullet if I chose to be lazy one day!

Here is a pretty recent pic of me and my hair:

However, it has gotten longer on the sides since then and shorter on top. I'm sure I'll have a camwhore moment once I hit my Halloween goal.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 10-26-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: life? I meant love :)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #77  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Thanks robin, much appreciated!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #78  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Hi everyone, just checking in quickly before we leave to karaoke.

I broke my usual routine of only doing my exercise late at night. Since I knew we were going out, I hopped on treadmill and walked 3 miles during Dr. Phil.

Hopefully we'll get some halloween pic's so I can post them. I tried my outfit on for DH yesterday and he said "you should wear that to Karaoke tomorrow night". LOL, no thanks. I sure hope I don't fall in these dang Ho boots that come all the way up on my thighs. LOL. We have 3 other couples coming over Saturday evening to get ready for the party. It should be great fun. I only thought my outfit looked really slu-tty til I saw what my son's girlfriend is wearing. LOL.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #79  

Good Morning All! This seems to be the only quiet moment I've had this week to post. But being up early give me a chance to drink more coffee
Pat-my mom and dh have both had shingles, youch!
Jessica-you and the flower and the dress are all beautiful. Congrats!
Lily-dh wants me to find out where you got the ho boots, lol
Allison-my dss are the same way, the attention span of a squirrel, geesh
Shane-my baby's hair looks more and more like yours every day. Dh and I are joking about coloring it for Halloween and putting her in teeny tiny leathers.
Lisa and Lisa-hey, do you think our parents could have chosen more unique names?
The food front is still a struggle and my exercise sessions keep getting cut short, but hopefully carrying around an 11 pound baby in a sling all day counts as weight bearing exercise.
Have a great weekend all.
Yet another Lisa
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
Shane-my baby's hair looks more and more like yours every day. Dh and I are joking about coloring it for Halloween and putting her in teeny tiny leathers.
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! And then you MUST post pictures... your baby is so, so adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
The food front is still a struggle and my exercise sessions keep getting cut short, but hopefully carrying around an 11 pound baby in a sling all day counts as weight bearing exercise.
Have a great weekend all.
Yet another Lisa
Some people would say that each time you are carrying your baby, you are burning the same number of calories as you would if you were eleven pounds heavier. While I don't fully believe this theory (there was a topic about it called "heavy backpack?" over in support ), if you're carrying her around for a good portion of the day, there might be a twinge of truth to it for you.

PS: unoriginal names... my parents named me MARY. They gave me two middle names though and Aidyn happens to be one of them. I go by that. I haven't met too many other Aidyns, though it can get a little bit difficult with strangers who go, "WHAAAAAT? HOW do you spell your name?? Say it again!?!? Ada? Aeydan??" They named my sister Edel, so she has it just as bad. Edel, of course, is pronounced like Adel or Adele or Adelle, but people reading it off a piece of paper just don't realize that.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #81  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Lily, Dr. Phil would be proud.

Shane, my daughter had hair like yours when she was a newborn. It stood straight up. People would alway ask me how I got her hair to do that, as if I would style my newborns hair. One day when she was 7 1/2 months old, I'll never forget it in fact, she went in for a nap, woke up an hour later - and her hair layed down perfectly. It was the oddest thing. We were all sad about it, but a teensy relieved as well.

Lisa, give thyself a break, you are afterall a mom of SEVEN, one being a newborn. I think, no I KNOW hauling around a baby counts for something. Something big too.

My family and I are going to visit my oldest daughter today through Sunday at her college, it's family visiting weekend. I know the food choices will be one of three things, bad, awful and horrendous. I packed plenty of healthy things for the car ride. Wait til my kids (and DH) see it. Instead of the cookies and pretzels and chips I used to pack for long car rides, I packed raw green beans, cucumber spears and SF jello cups. I put my resistance band and my sneakers in my suitcase and hopefully I will be able to at least get in some exercise, cause chances are my eating will ummmm, suck.

Have a terrific weekend everybody.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #82  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

Why is it that you go for weeks at work with the same old things, and then all the big stuff happens at once? That's what this week is like for me. I've been out in the field all week and today have gone to the gym early (who is this bizarre person repeatedly getting up at 5:30 AM for the gym???) and now have on "real grown-up clothes" (read: office attire) to go to the university in the city where I'll be spending more time. I have a collar on...and slacks...mehhhh...want my t-shirt and shorts and mud and fish scales...

On Wed. night my oven blew up. I called the landlady's grandson yesterday, who sort of functions as our unofficial super, but no response yet. If I don't get ahold of him this afternoon, I'm just calling the landlady and telling her to get us a new stove (it's no surprise this one blew up, it's definitely older than me and in sad shape). We had to turn off the circuit breaker to the oven so we can't use the stovetop or anything. Thank goodness for the grill! If it's still out Sunday I will have to go and do my weekly cooking at BF's house!

LOL, everyone here skirts around Gary's reply the comment about men, and Shane just comes out and says what we're all thinking. Gotta love it.

Conversations about shingles make me never want them!

Jessica, your pictures are beautiful! You are a gorgeous bride! Your honeymoon sounds so wonderful. It brings back memories of my college semester in Oz. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Carolyn, I'm glad your depression lifted so quickly. Your dancing adventures always sound like so much fun!

BF is taking me out on a "real date" to a dinner for his work association tonight. I get to dress up 2x in one day! I think some friends are pumpkin carving Sunday. You know what that means. Pumpkin seeds, and non-canned pumpkin. Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 197/129

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone! Long time no post.

The past 2 weeks have been so stressful for me. I had midterms back to back and I'm glad I made it out of that stress bomb alive. Needless to say, the combination of stress and PMS (there's a reason why they rhyme!) led me to overeat. I ate about 700 calories over my weekly limit but the scale is up to 132 today. Don't know if it's still water weight from TOM or what.

Exercise has been great as usual. Lifting and running = bliss

Tonight I will be attending the "Night at the Museum Sleepover" at the Museum of Natural History in NYC with my younger sister. There's going to be an IMAX film, live animal exhibition, fossil exploration by flashlight, and other activities. It's also Halloween themed so they are encouraging everyone to wear a costume. I'm supposed to be my sister's chaperone (all chaperones must be 21+) but I am only 19 so I don't think dressing up in a costume would make me look any older!

Jessica, you look amazing!!!! Beautiful pictures.

Pat, for you and your DH. Hope it clears up soon.

Lily, so sorry to hear about the deer incident. Your costume sounds great - have fun at the party!

Megan, I hope you get a nice shiny new oven quickly! Aww have a great time on your "real" date. Make sure to make good healthy choices at dinner!

Robin, enjoy visiting your daughter! That should be a great experience. WTG for packing healthy snacks. And I'm hoping there's at least some halfway decent options for you eatingwise.

Shane, great avatar pic!

Joy Lisa, carrying an 11lb baby should definitely tone your arms! I noticed that I always carry my (usually heavy) purse on my left shoulder. My left arm is sooooooo much more toned than my right. I'm a righty so I don't know if this is common but I'm definitely attributing this very muscular left arm to my purse.

Gary and Allison, I hope you and your families remain safe during this time.

Sznn, WTG for recomitting to get back on track. Keep us updated!

LisaMarie, a big for you. You've been going through a lot. You need a vacation

Hello to Kery, Carolyn, Jay, Meg, Kim, Susan, Rabbit, Baffled, Meg and anyone I missed! Hope you're all doing well.

Welcome Wendalyn, Lisao, and DGAdDawg!!!!

PS. I posted my Before/After pictures in my profile.
Sweet Amor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

Since the winds have changed from Santa Ana to the regular onshore flow, we are now experiencing the smoke from the fires. It's pretty stinky outside, we can't see the mountains and the sun is an eerie orange/red/brown color. The sky is grayish brown. I'm sure this is NOTHING like what it's like on the other side of the mountain though. I'm not going to complain about it--it's the onshore flow that brought an end to the Santa Anas, humidity and cooler weather for fighting the fires.

I'm still waiting to hear from several folks about their homes. I found out yesterday that my cousins, prior to moving to Toronto, bought a home in Lake Arrowhead for their retirement. They don't know yet if it survived.

My diet stinks--probably due to the homemade tamales I bought the other day. The guy who comes around and washes our cars often brings tamales that his wife makes. They're pretty good--moist and meaty, but I have no way to determine calories.

DD is being "courted" by the University of Redlands! She found out that they are short of percussionists and was told that if she calls she might be able to join an ensemble there this year which will give her a much better chance of getting a music scholarship there. She got a call yesterday, but didn't get home early enough to find out if this was the call to come and try out or not. I can't wait to find out! Meanwhile, she retook her SATs and scored 160 higher than last time so that is good news!

Gotta run. Work calls! Take care everyone (I'll try and pop in later).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #85  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison - Tamales! Mmmmmm, you are making me so hungry. My favorite kind are the ones that have sweet corn inside. Now I'm getting homesick for LA! Actually there is a growing Mexican population in Indy so I'm sure we will have great Mexican food here soon. Maybe there already is and I just haven't found it yet.

Megan - I hope your oven didn't literally blow up! Sounds dangerous! Hopefully they'll replace it with a shiny new one.

Shane/Aidyn (which would you prefer?) - That's so funny about the names. I have a friend whose parents wanted her name to be Brie, short for Brienne. They decided her other name should be Mary. But instead of naming her Brienne Mary, they thought it would sound better if her name was Mary Brienne, so they made her first name Mary and then called her Brie anyway! She recently legally had her name changed to Brienne Mary instead.

I would respond more, but I need to eat lunch or I'm going to pass out. Happy Friday!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #86  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning

Names are funny things aren't they? I dated a guy at college who had 6! brothers. All of the boys had the same first name - Joseph - and accordingly all of them went by their middle names. What's up with that?? Both my sister and I go by our first names or at least nicknames of them (when someone says Patricia, I look around to see who they're talking to )

DH was convinced last night that he needed to go to the ER this morning as he wasn't improving fast enough. I think I've managed to talk him out of that by looking closely at all his blisters - some of which are starting to scab over already. Plus I don't think it sends a very good message to your doctor if you're second guessing him all the time. The doc doesn't have office hours on Fridays, and really, there is no emergency to call him for. DH does have an appt on Monday, and Tues he has a made-long-ago appt with his oncologist, so between them he'll be well looked after. They did confer before they started him on the course of medication. Hopefully he'll continue to make progress over the weekend.

Shane - meant to say how much I like your new avatar.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Yep, Lisa is a common name on this board! If it helps, you guys can call me LisaMarie to distinguish me from the others! Marie is my middle name, but I've never gone by LisaMarie, just Lisa. It's funny, though -- it was a common name when I was growing up but there's only one student named Lisa in the whole high school where I teach. Lisa must be one of the new crop of "old lady names." I remember when I was a kid, I thought the name Lisa wouldn't work when I got old, that I should be Hazel or Mabel or something. Well, now I have an old name. Shane, I love the name Aidyn, and Edel is cool too.

Still worried about my 5k tomorrow. We didn't have CC practice because of the pouring rain, so I ran 2 miles on the treadmill at school and my hamstring HURT. Eek. I'm still doing the race, though...

Allison, what percussion does your dd play? When I was in high school I did the xylophone and marimba and such, but I'm actually a pianist. I loved the marimba but I certainly don't own one! I'd like to, but I'm not sure where I'd put it!

Sweet Amor, thanks for the virtual hug. I need it! It HAS been a rough week, but I'm hoping for a better one next week!

Megan, that's crazy about your oven!! Anytime something blows up is a BAD time!! I shouldn't say anything, though, because considering the week I'm having my oven will probably be next!

Back to the clothing size conversation, I'm freaking out over the fact that I'm sitting here in size small running capris, which I changed into after wearing comfortable size 8 khakis. Who AM I? I was a size 22-24 for sooooo long.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lisa~DD plays the following (not all percussion):

clarinet
bass clarinet
piano (self taught)
bells (aka xylophone) (she plays this in the community symphony)
vibraphone (she played this for 3 years in jazz band, but they have a piano player now, so she switched to bass)
marimba (two and four mallet)(she plays this in the high school symphony)
snare drum (she plays this for marching band)
bass drum (but only if you force her!)
timpani (she plays this in the community symphony and also in the high school symphony)
guitar
bass guitar (next up is a standard stand up bass) (she plays bass in jazz band)
flute (kind of--she started with flute in 5th grade but was never good at it)
bassoon (needs work)
sax (not often, though)
(Basically, she plays everything but brass--she doesn't have the buzz needed to do brass.)

A couple of years ago we almost bought her a concert marimba. At the time, we had a place we could store it, but she turned down the offer and now I have a table where we would have put it. I had found a really nice used one on ebay and I wish we had bought it (so does she now--in retrospect).

ETA: You'll do just fine in your 5k! Don't worry! You'll have a lot of fun, too. The atmosphere is quite contagious at races!

Last edited by alinnell; 10-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Wow, she plays everything, Allison! Sounds like my brother, who's a music teacher. My whole family plays the piano and at least one other instrument, though. Even though my mom is a piano teacher as a side job, I taught myself because she never had time to teach me! I used to teach lessons on the side too, and I'd like to still do it but I don't have time right now.

I know what you mean about the atmosphere at races -- I love it!! I've done two 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon this year, but I've never done a little local one like the one tomorrow. I've never had a chance at a little age-group trophy before, but I have a chance tomorrow! Woohoo!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #90  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post

Still worried about my 5k tomorrow. We didn't have CC practice because of the pouring rain, so I ran 2 miles on the treadmill at school and my hamstring HURT. Eek. I'm still doing the race, though...

AWESOME! Just be careful...nothing wrong with "walking" it out if you need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Lisa~DD plays the following (not all percussion):

clarinet
bass clarinet
piano (self taught)
bells (aka xylophone) (she plays this in the community symphony)
vibraphone (she played this for 3 years in jazz band, but they have a piano player now, so she switched to bass)
marimba (two and four mallet)(she plays this in the high school symphony)
snare drum (she plays this for marching band)
bass drum (but only if you force her!)
timpani (she plays this in the community symphony and also in the high school symphony)
guitar
bass guitar (next up is a standard stand up bass) (she plays bass in jazz band)
flute (kind of--she started with flute in 5th grade but was never good at it)
bassoon (needs work)
sax (not often, though)
(Basically, she plays everything but brass--she doesn't have the buzz needed to do brass.)...............................
LUCKY Mom...no way could she have time for boys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
LOL, everyone here skirts around Gary's reply the comment about men, and Shane just comes out and says what we're all thinking. Gotta love it.

SHANE is NOT the boss of me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I know what you mean about the atmosphere at races -- I love it!! I've done two 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon this year, but I've never done a little local one like the one tomorrow. I've never had a chance at a little age-group trophy before, but I have a chance tomorrow! Woohoo!
You are ALREADY a winner in OUR book! trophy or no trophy!!....but...trophies are GOOD!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote