Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
I think that it was an unfortunate coincidence that whoever chose the shape of Fiber One chose to make it very similar to the shape of rabbit food pellets. Think of all the suffering it could have saved us if they had decided to mush it into a flake instead!
- AGREED!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #32  

Height: 5'7"

Wow, this obviously touched a nerve with a lot of people!

I either haven't gotten much of the commentary about eating and weight, or it doesn't bother me, or (most likely) I've told people to back off so they don't bother me any more. I'm not much for letting my boundaries get pushed in the name of being polite. Plus I am as likely (at work anyway) to eat half a box of donuts, nothing but 10 cal sugar-free jello, or carrots and hummus. No one knows what to expect--maybe just too weird to comment on.

I did have an issue when I was breastfeeding my colicky baby, and then everybody and their brother had an opinion on what I was eating to cause it. And being a hormonal mess and having issues getting and keeping that on the right track, I was especially sensitive to it all, and not being assertive about it. Not eating enough, too much dairy, too much broccoli (!), too much coffee, not enough wine (!). Why was I hurting my child--put her on formula. I was in tears most of the time, frustrated, and guilt-ridden. The truth is that some babies are colicky and there isn't much to be done, as my pediatrician kept reminding me, and that I was doing the right thing, in spite of the busy-bodies.

Anyway, just goes to show people feel justified in commenting on food choices in a variety of situations. My theory is it that most of us are uncomfortable with what we eat, and just run our mouth to alleviate that discomfort. I think this thread shows that we are also keeping score, how many slices of pizza, who is eating better around us, who is eating junk. I love to look at shopping carts and feel superior, but generally am able to keep my mouth shut.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #33  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Yes, yes, YES I can relate to this.

A good example is my soon to be father-in-law. Since my boyfriend`s Mom was ill, I went by to cook for them and some family that were staying there (all male, none could cook). Since I don`t force my eating habits on others, i made potatoes, a Peruvian dish that is strictly verbotten for me (made with a cheese and bread sauce, so yummy), and rice for them. At the same time I had a veggie mix in the oven for me. When everyone sat down to eat, it basically became attack the cook time.

Why wasn`t I having soup? Why did I not have rice on my plate? Why don`t i eat what I cook? Why no rice? It`s delicious, why am I not eating?

I got very upset and told them that they were on their own for the evening and the next day (my days to cook). That evening they had fried eggs and bread. In the morning they just had bread, and by lunch they broke down and had to go out to eat, and blamed it all on me.

I had explained that I am losing weight for my wedding. Not good enough. That they would not eat what I eat, therefore I made something different for them. They said that what I ate was wrong. The only saving grace isthat my boyfriend has been supportive and has told his family members that they acted badly to what was a favor on my part.

This is especially tough over here, where people still believe that sit ups will take away my belly, fish has no fat, you can eat all the avocado you want, and a serving of rice is actually at least 2 cups. For the people who I don`t know I just say that I am allergic to that food. For everyone else, it depends on how badly they piss me off.

Whew, I`m glad I got that off my chest!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #34  
hara hachi bu

Archy! That is AWFUL of them! How kind of you to cook them separate dishes.

Some of their questions sound honest, like not knowing that too much rice can be an issue. And maybe some of it is cultural.

Kudos to your BF for standing up for you.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #35  

S/C/G: See my ticker!

Height: 5' 10"

I know im not a maintainer or anything but i really associate with this thread. since ive been on one diet or another since i was about 12, theres usually something or other that im not meant to be eating and always someone to comment when i do eat them! im back on weight watchers points plan, which as the whole world and their dog knows means you can eat whatever you want as long as you point it! but my dad still feels the need to mention it if he sees me eating a well earned chocolate biscuit or drinking a cup of sugary tea. then i feel like i have to tell him beforehand that i have the points and i hate having to defend myself. he said something that really offended me last week; my mum (also on ww but only 8 stone anyway!) mentioned how id like to have a stone off by christmas, and i was eating something at the time, crisps i think, and my dad said "and how are you going to manage that?" in a really snide tone. and my mum didnt even stick up for me. this kind of thing makes me feel like a pig and sparks a plan not to eat in front of people so they cant criticise me. its so counterproductive to a positive attitude about my own weight. and usually he ends up being right, because in reality i dont have self control and i am greedy and i cant stick to any plan. thats why i really admire all you ladies who continue in the face of horrible people who think they know best, and dont give in to the temptations,and keep losing weight. its really inspirational and more power to you!
IrishRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

I get both. I have several friends who say "I'm no fun anymore" because I don't go out drinking and go for ice cream, at least not as often as I did before. I also have friends and family and acquaintances who seem to scruntize my food. A few, I think, also seem to look me over to see whether I'm gaining the weight back.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #37  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I think my only "incident" in the 2 months, since I have made "better choices", is at CHILI'S restaurant. I had printed out the nutrition break down before we went. I took it in to read, I had planned to eat off the "guiltless pleasure" menu ( I didn't want to make the same mistake there TROOWORLD did) but I didn't want to LOCK in on that just in case I changed my mind. Well, the little...and I mean little...also very cute waitress kept looking at me, and of course wondering why it was taking me so long to order, while I looked at every thing on the menu and the calorie count! I told her just bring me a light beer and go on her merry way, I would flag her down when I was ready to order...she just kept checking in...kind of made me feel un-comfortable reading my calorie list...so I had another beer....NOT! Anyway, that is the only time I have felt "on display".

Here is my idea ~ BUSINESS CARDS! Just have business cards printed up, they are so cheap these days, print out ALL of your restrictions and rules on it with a little note to the NOSEY people that if what you are eating isn't on the list speak up in a supportive way...if it is on the list....SHUT UP!...in a kind way of course And give them to everyone!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-19-2007 at 10:30 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #38  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You know, its funny. Most of my family and friends are fixated, but not negative...

When I first started, my father in law was CONVINCED that I was going to fail because I didn't have a defined goal. He has been on and off on weight watchers for a LOOOONG time, and for some reason he just OBSESSED with the fact that I didn't have a goal, and how that would be my ultimate downfall. I also got eating advice from EVERYONE. E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E.

Its funny - when I acted demure and embarrassed in restaurants for ordering "funny" things (can you make sure the veggies are steamed plain?), people commented on how I wasn't fun. Now I am very straightforward (dressing on the SIDE please) and no one really says anything. I just don't make a big deal of it.

People are also really proud of me, so they let me do my thing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #39  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I've also moved since I lost the weight. The people at my job have no idea that I was 40 pounds heavier 4 years ago. I sometimes wonder if it would be a bad idea to mention it...I think the answer is YES!!!

They know I bring my lunch daily (even when free food is available), and they know I don't do junk. Still, I don't think they quite get it -- the idea that I have to eat healthy to stay healthy.

I was just thinking that sometimes people pay more attention to what type of oil they put in their cars than what they put in their own bodies. The body is a machine...you can't expect it to run smoothly on junk. If I want my arteries to stay clear of plaque, I can't eat triple cheeseburgers every day.

I really like the food I eat -- I don't just eat it because it's healthy. I eat it because it's healthy and because it tastes just as good (if not better) than the unhealthy stuff. Why would I choose just one benefit when I can have two! I think they think that I feel like I'm punishing myself, but I'm much happier overall when I eat healthy yummy stuff.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Maybe the cute waitress was checking you out, Gary!
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

To nobody else but you guys could I say "I was daydreaming about how thin and healthy I've become. Sorry, what was your question?"

I can't believe I even typed that
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #42  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
I get both. I have several friends who say "I'm no fun anymore" because I don't go out drinking and go for ice cream, at least not as often as I did before. I also have friends and family and acquaintances who seem to scruntize my food. A few, I think, also seem to look me over to see whether I'm gaining the weight back.
Nowadays, that tends to piss me off. What is their conception of fun? Being with ME, or with what I shovel in my mouth? I don't always do it, but it happens that I will go to, say, a last-minute invitation to McDonald's without eating anything (especially if the invite came while I was already making dinner, I am so not throwing away my veggies); I can drink a tea while chatting, I don't really see what the difference is, as long as I'm with my friends. But so many things revolve about food these days... it gets to show you what is the really important thing for some people, huh?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #43  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
To nobody else but you guys could I say "I was daydreaming about how thin and healthy I've become. Sorry, what was your question?"

I can't believe I even typed that
You don't know how this post made me smile. I am so happy for you. It's such a great and rewarding feeling.

I can really, really relate to this. It kinda feels (to me at least) as if I've given myself the best possible chance at the best possible life. I sometimes sit and ponder just how far I've come. Yesterday someone asked me a question about saggy skin and all I could think about is how much muscle I've developed. It's crazy. I must have felt my thigh, arm and stomach muscles for G-d knows how long yesterday. I still can't believe that someone as inactive, as fat and as weak as me has developed muscles. Mind boggling.

Ya know what, let people police me all they want - who the heck cares anymore??? It's all their problem, not mine. (She says that now, but just wait til the next person throws a hissy fit when she grabs a chocolate chip cookie or better yet when she TURNS DOWN a chocolate chip cookie)

Gary, I LIKE the idea of a business card. It just may work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

This was such a fun thread to read!
My biggest pet peeve is a friend I've worked out with since college (we've known each other since HS). I counted calories and lost the weight (55 lbs the first time). She didn't and is still extremely heavy. But she feels very comfortable commenting on my food and even my exercise-- telling me how to do things correctly and the right way to lose weight. She's also single and tells me how to be a good wife, so I guess it's par for the course!!

Last edited by mom2mollie; 09-20-2007 at 06:27 AM.
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #45  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Scenario: I'm at my sister's. She has "made" fruit. She took some perfectly good fruit and drenched it in sugar and refrigerated it.
June, I can't get this out of my mind! Thanks for sharing this terrible scenario with us. I love the quotation marks - you just have to have them! Why, oh why?? (Rhetorical question.)

Great thread. There are a lot of undercurrents out there and some not so hidden ones too.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote