Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default What food did you love when you were overweight but now think is gross?

I was just thinking about how my tastes have changed since I've been eating healthy for the past few years, and I realized some foods I used to love, well, now I just think they're gross. So I thought I'd ask everyone else what foods are like that for them! Here aresome of my "foods I used to love but now think are gross":

- those mini blueberry muffins that come in a five-pack
- cheese danishes
- donuts at breakfast time
- Grandma's cookies (those two-pack kind)
- those vending machine sixpacks of chocolate donuts

I'm sure there are more, these are just off the top of my head...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont think my tastes have changed all that much. I got fat on portions more than poor foods.

There are LOTS of foods that I think are gross, but I always would have...such as the one meal my freezer coop made this month. They took perfectly good chicken broccoli and brown rice and drowned it in cream of mushroom soup, cheese and MAYO...oh ick. The soup and cheese I maybe could tolerate but mayo belongs on sandwiches in teaspoon quantities, not in casseroles in cup quantities. My tongue felt like an oil slick.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't say gross, but I have no desire for them at all, even when held in front of me:

-hamburgers
-mr noodles
-kraft dinner
-cookies
-chocolate milk
- too much dressing on a salad (the veggies just don't thrive that way!)
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow. I just don't know! The thought of most of the foods I used to love is still appealing... I just don't eat them and luckily have foods I love to eat to replace them. I haven't actually tried a food I used to love and found it gross...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Most of the foods I used to love I still do. I think it's mostly all the pre-packaged processed foods I eat that I find gross now. In fact, it's mostly packaged muffins that do it. I used to LOVE packaged muffins and ate them all the time. Now they just taste like chemicals to me.

Of course, I used to be able to eat and drink stuff made with artificial sweeteners and couldn't tell the difference, but now they taste like chemicals too.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Although I don't eat them anymore and am absolutely truly enjoying and loving what I'm eating now, there's not too much I would actually call gross. I would call gross the sheer VOLUME of food I ate previously. Butter and mayonaise and cream cheese ALWAYS grossed me out.

The mere "thought" of eating some of my old stuff does send me into a panic though. I don't think I will ever be able to eat fried foods again. Just the thought of not knowing how much oil is in there frightens me. Same goes with cream sauces. And I've still yet to let myself go (fortunately) while eating out. When I do eat out, it's always baked fish, or grilled chicken or an undressed salad. Food in its most natural state. The less additives the better, less calories therefore.

I don't eat ice cream anymore or my favorite peanut M & M's or pasta or bread, rice and on and on. Though they still appeal to me. How I wish they DID seem gross to me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #7  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Fast food burgers
Any kind of candy bar except Lindt 70% dark chocolate or almond M&Ms...
Jax (Cheese doodle type things)
Packaged meals like hamburger helper, instant potatoes, etc
Sweet and sour chicken
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Regular peanut butter - it tastes disgustingly sweet and has a waxy consistency

Most everything else (loaded nachos, Bloomin' Onion, biggie McDonald's fries, giant muffins, peanut M&Ms etc) - well, I'm sure I would still love the taste of it, but it would probably make me pretty sick the next day.

Last edited by Glory87; 08-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #9  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

It's early days for me, and I am a long way off maintaining, but I thought this was a great thread for accounting to myself!

I still crave pizza, and haven't had the strength yet to have a slice in case I eat the whole thing! I can't imagine NOT liking pizza... so for now - only healthy options

I can't imagine eating fast food burgers now, though I ate them regularly before. I don't know if I would dislike them, I just find the thought of putting that into my body now a waste of calories and not sensible. I haven't tried them, and I don't want to.

Aside from that, not much. I am VERY aware that moderation in all things is the keystone for me... so I do avoid things that I would likely eat too much of now - like tortilla chips, say. I just don't have them in the house in case the whole bag evaporated into my mouth!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #10