Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #16  
Meg

Good morning!

I'm up early because DH and I are off to New Mexico for a few days. It's business for him but I get to tag along. And the bonus is that DD lives in Albuquerque, so we're staying an extra day to spend it with her. She recently got engaged and we have lots to talk about. Oh boy, are weddings expensive!

Carolyn, congratulations on DH's new job! That must be such a relief to you.

Um, Anne? Rattlesnakes? 100 degree heat? Tell me why you live in Tucson again? It's going to be cold in Santa Fe while we're there (high 50s/low 60s) so I wouldn't mind a little of your heat. Just a little. And no snakes either, Lily included!!

Pat, that's good news that your knees can be fixed. Much better than - you need knee replacements, which is what I was afraid you'd get told. Are you still going to try the SynVisc injections?

Tara, I'm going to keep your post in mind while I'm away from home for the next few days. I like your thinking. My biggest food struggles by far are when I'm not home and out of my routine. Too many choices! Too much temptation! But I hate coming home with pounds to lose -- it's never worth it and it takes longer and longer to get the weight off again.

I'm really torn about leaving because DS is still sick. He finally stopped throwing up after we got a prescription from his doctor, but he still feels horrible. I know he's 21 and all, but he's still my baby. The house is stocked with everything he should need, but he's got five cats to take care of! I'm hoping that he feels better when he wakes up today (and I'm really hoping that DH and I don't catch it!!)

I'll be checking in from New Mexico.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Meg, hope you have a nice trip. Hope your son is better soon. I know what you mean, though. My son is 21 also and I still go with him to the Dr. and take care of him when he's sick. I worry about him now the same as I did when he was small. We never stop being mom.

Well, I haven't seen the rattlesnake, but I'm scared it's out there somewhere. LOL.

I'm doing well again with my food and exercise plan. My clothes are fitting well. I'm still 1 lb. over goal. Don't know how long it will take me to lose it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have a question for you all....anyone been to Hawaii in July? Will it be unbearably hot and humid? It looks like I get to accompany DS there for a Botball tournament--he's been building a Botball Robot with his robotics class and if he finishes it, he'll enter it in the competition there this summer. Some of his classmates entered a robot in a competition in San Diego a few months back and they got 1st place for middle schoolers and 6th overall. Not too bad considering they were up against high schoolers (and I think college students). We'll need to be there for at least 4 days, but I'm thinking we ought to stay and sightsee for another day or so because I've never been there. DH can't go as he has to run the business and DD will be in China at the same time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #19  
lilybelle

Allison I'd go in a heartbeat if ever I get the chance. Not sure how hot it will be but there is lots of water to jump in. Have fun and congrat's to your son.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
anyone been to Hawaii in July? Will it be unbearably hot and humid?
Yes (well, early August) and maybe You're in So Cal, right? I don't think it will be hotter than you have, but probably more humid. If I remember though, there's likely to be less AC than in California. Will you be in Honolulu? It feels hotter there to me, probably because it's a city and doesn't get the breezes you find in less urban parts of the island. Definitely stay and get out of Honolulu. You're making me want to go.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Yes (well, early August) and maybe You're in So Cal, right? I don't think it will be hotter than you have, but probably more humid. If I remember though, there's likely to be less AC than in California. Will you be in Honolulu? It feels hotter there to me, probably because it's a city and doesn't get the breezes you find in less urban parts of the island. Definitely stay and get out of Honolulu. You're making me want to go.
Yes, I'm sure the temps will be lower than here in the desert (where it averages over 110 at that time of year). But it is the humidity that I'm more worried about. We rarely see anything over 30% (and that is extreme for us!). We'll be in Honolulu/Waikiki area. I booked us the Waikiki Marriott and the convention center is about a mile away (I plan on walking a lot!!!--I didn't rent a car).
Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #22  
Working My Way Back Down

Allison, it's always the humidity that gets me too. Alaska, or at least the part I'm in, is very dry. (The southeast is a different story altogether - lots of rain) Your skin will love the extra moisture!

Meg - forgot to answer you re: SynVisc injections. The doc said he's had mixed success with them, but that if the PT doesn't help enough he'll try them. I'm very encouraged with how much better my knees feel with the tape, esp the left one.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #23  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison, is BotBall the same thing as the RoboCup? I understand your feelings about humidity! I grew up in LA (I seem to remember you're in Palm Desert or thereabouts?) and was used to everything being totally dry. The first time I went to visit my fiance (then BF) at his parents' house in Indianapolis in the summer I felt like I was trying to breathe water! It was awful, I couldn't stand it! Other than brief visits to IN, my first real extended experience with humidity was when I took a month and a half long trip around Asia. Hong Kong in June is absolutely sweltering. After returning from that trip I moved to RI, and it didn't seem so bad compared to Hong Kong! Now that I'm in IN, I am so used to it that when I go visit my parents in LA, my lips get dried out and chapped the moment I step off the plane and I'm instantly craving a huge bottle of water. I've never been to Hawaii but I imagine the sea breeze would keep you pretty comfortable.

Guess what?? This morning my scale read 130! Finally back to goal! I haven't seen 130 since before Thanksgiving. Hopefully it will continue to go down a few more lbs so I am more in my comfort zone.

So after closing on our house Monday, we went straight over there to check it out even though we don't get possession until tomorrow. We were there for about two minutes when some neighbors came by to introduce themselves (of course I forgot their names the instant they said them). The funny part was their son -- they had two little boys, one was 5 years old and had been friends with the son of the people who we bought the house from. He came straight up to me and asked "Do you have any kids??" I said no and he got this terribly upset look on his face and ran away!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #24  

Jessica, you remembered correctly, I am in Palm Desert. I am forever walking around with a bottle of water and lip salve!!! I PM'd a user who lives in Hawaii and she said I should expect temps in the 80's and 60-80% humidity, so I'll probably die! I have experienced humidity (Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, etc.) so as long as I can take respite inside when it is at it's worst, I'll be fine. DD will be in China at the same time we're in Hawaii and she has been told to expect extremely high humidity. She isn't used to that at all!!!

I'm so jealous!!!! 130--that's incredible. I had been so close to goal in November and then I let myself slide through the holidays. I am doing better, but haven't gotten down as far as I'd like. But WAY to GO!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #25  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Today at the weekly weigh in, I made it to my secret wish goal of 105 lbs! I'm thrilled. I'm going to see if I can sustain this weight for several months before moving my ticker down. In the past, I've only been able to stay at 105 for a couple of months before eating 'normally' - i.e. anything I wanted whenever I wanted caused me to gain the weight back.

Since I'm still on the medicine that suppresses my appetite, I'm going to have to be aware to eat enough not to lose any more weight. I'm down to size 2 clothes and it would be hard to find things to fit if I get smaller. The BMI charts show that I could go as low as 95 lbs, but I'd be skin and bones on top if I did. Not a healthy look.

Tonight's swing dancing and DH is home so it will be fun.

Last night, I had insomnia again until 7 am. So I slept til 3 pm. If I don't sleep at night, I've got to sleep during the day or it triggers my bipolar disorder. That's 3 nights this week that I've had trouble. It's a challenge staying in balance.

Yes, Meg, I'm releived that DH found a job and we'll have money coming in again soon. There hasn't been enough to pay the bills between my disability and his unemployment so we've had to go into our savings quite a bit.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #26  
lilybelle

Carolyn, WTG on meeting your "secret goal". Sorry about the insomnia. I have that problem sometimes too. (when I am stressed, it gets really bad).

Yesterday I mowed the yard, it really was needing it with all the rain we've had. I plan now to weed flower beds and around all my hedges this evening. When I mowed inside the fenced back yard, it scared my lab puppy so bad that she literally ran up the fence and jumped it. She ran and hid under the deck. DS coaxed her back out and calmed her down and played with her until I was done mowing. My mama lab isn't afraid at all of the mower but she is deathly afraid of storms.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #27  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Even though all the diet books say don't eat after a certain time at night, last night right before bed I ate 2 slices of bread. I was able to fall right to sleep. Next time I have insomnia, I've got to remember to get up and eat something. It often helps me sleep.

Today, I have to go down to the beach to babysit my 5-year-old niece. The last few days, the road to the beach has been closed because of big fires in the pine barrons. It rained hard last night and helped them to get it under control.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #28  

Hello Everyone!
Just checking in. Meg, I hope you are enjoying New Mexico. Here in NH, it is very rainy today. The temps are back in the 50's & 60's - yuck!
Anne, I agree with Allison, the terrible two's lasted until my son was 5, then he finally matured and turned the corner. Hang in there, hopefully it will pass soon.
Allison, I would definitely go to Hawaii, hot or not!

This weekend I turn 36, I'm starting to feel old. It's inspired me to stay on track with healthy habits, because I want to look good when I'm 40! I've been eating relatively low-carb this week, with great results. I'm excited because I had stalled and now the scale is moving down again.

OK, I must get DD up from her nap because we are going to a friend's house. Have a great weekend everyone.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #29  
lilybelle

Hi everyone. I went with DH and DS again last night to the big karoke competition. My son placed first place and my DH placed 4th. This was the first time I'd heard my son sing. I thought he would be too shy. But, no He belted it out a song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The big crowd was loving it. I asolutely could not believe how awesome his voice is. The semi-final round is this Saturday night in which DS will be singing. The winner will get to go to OK. City to compete for the state championship. Then the state winner will go to Las Vegas to compete. I hope he gets far and if last night is any indication, he will. LOL, DH just kept saying "I can't believe Shane is that awesome and I can't believe He beat me". I told Shane he got his singing ability from his mom. LOL.

This competition brings back up the whole Jealousy thread that I started so I'll post in that section also.

I did more mowing yesterday and cleared my garden again of weeds. Worked outside for 3 hrs. in 90 degree heat. I came in sopping wet. My yard looks so beautiful with all the work I've put into it. My garden looks great and I can't wait to be eating all the fresh veggies. All my veggie plants are now bloomed out, so it won't be too long before some of it is bearing veggies. This is my very first veggie garden and I'm so proud of how it's going. I love having stuff to do outside all the time. (even though my thighs are sore from all the bending and hoeing). I can't believe how inexpensive it is to grow a garden. I know that I haven't put more than $50.00 into the whole thing and that is with buying the chicken wire for the fencing to keep the critters out. Next year, I plan to expand my garden even bigger so I have more room for even more veggies and fruits. I already have neighbors and DH's co-workers asking when they are gonna get some of the veggies from the garden, LOL.

Great news. I weighed this morning and have lost 2 lbs. this week so I'm once again finally back below my goal wt. I'm now 144 lbs. I credit this mainly to the fact that I'm getting tons of exercise with all the outside work and the treadmill both. I have been staying in the 1400-1600 calorie range.

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-18-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #30  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Carolyn - I always ignore the advice about eating at night. Sometimes after I get off work at 5, go to the gym, go home, shower, and cook, I don't get dinner on the table until 8:30pm. We go to sleep at 10. I'm not going to skip my dinner just because a book says I shouldn't eat 2 hours before sleeping! I feel like if I am really hungry, not just bored "hungry", it doesn't matter what time it is, I should just eat and I will feel better.

Anne(lessismore) - We got some cooler weather here over the past couple days too. Luckily it is finally warming up again!

Lily - Good luck to your DS! It sounds like you're doing great with the gardening, want to send your green thumb vibes my way? We are planning on starting our first ever veggie garden in a couple weeks (I know it's a late start for the season, but we didn't have a yard before!).

It's kind of dumb, but this morning we went over to the house and ran the sprinklers. I was totally excited! OMG, I have sprinklers! Yesterday we went over and peeled all the Disney cartoon stickers off the walls in one of the bedrooms (previous owners used it as a play room). This morning we brought over a rocking chair and our air mattress.

With all this house stuff and me traveling last weekend I've only been to the gym once this week. Today I plan on a good workout!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote