Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default Diverticulitis

I was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis yesterday after a 3 day bout with horrific abdominal cramping, bloating and pain! Anyone else have it or had episodes in their pasts?
Here is the definition of diverticulitis:
Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots, like an inner tube that pokes through weak places in a tire. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. Pouches (plural) are called diverticula. The condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis. About 10 percent of Americans over the age of 40 have diverticulosis. The condition becomes more common as people age. About half of all people over the age of 60 have diverticulosis.

When the pouches become infected or inflamed, the condition is called diverticulitis. This happens in 10 to 25 percent of people with diverticulosis. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are also called diverticular disease.

Well, I don't really fit the stereotype; which is overweight, eat a low fiber diet and don't exercise. I do ALL of the above!!

Just wondering if any one you have ever experienced this dreadful disease??

azmom
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #2  
Meg

AZMom - that sounds just awful! I don't know anything about it but how unfair if you're doing all the right things and you still get sick.

If there isn't anyone here who knows about it, maybe post in the Dieting With Obstacles forum or in Support? I have a vague recollection of reading about another member who just went to the ER with the same problem.

Good luck to you and here's another hug !
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

AZmom, my father (who is 62) had diverticulitis a few years ago. He does fit the stereotype (no exercise, overweight, eats very little fiber) though, but when he was in the hospital for it his roommate who also had diverticulitis was about as far from the stereotype as you can imagine.

When my dad had it, he didn't know it at first and thought he just had a stomach flu or something, for like two weeks. He finally went to the doctor and they decided to give him antibiotics while waiting for his test results. My dad then passed out/collapsed while waiting in line at the pharmacy for the antibiotics! Luckily the pharmacy is in the hospital and they took him straight to the ER and put him on IV antibiotics.

Anyway he had a recurrence after his first episode with it and ended up needing surgery to remove the infected area, which was pretty unpleasant, but AFAIK he hasn't had a problem with it since then, and no longer has to eat the seedless diet. I don't know if your doc has you doing it, but after his first episode my dad was told not to eat anything with seeds as they can get caught in the diverticula. Nowadays he takes fiber supplements but I think that is the only change in his diet since then.

Hopefully yours will get cleared up soon and you won't need surgery!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

My mother also had it at once point in her life (in her 60's I think), and she didn't fit the stereotype, though she didn't exercise a lot. I think as you quoted, that some people have the pouches more than others. My mom never had surgery, though she did have to go on a seedless/nutless diet for quite awhile.

Hope you're feeling better.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have it and so far have not thought of it as a dreadful disease, I was glad to have a name for mysterious aches, cramps, etc.It is really quite common for people of a certain age.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #6  
LC Rooster

My father dealt with this a few years back. He had an abcess form as a result of it which required a colon resection.

My one word of advice: If they tell you you need surgery (a colon resection) do it quickly, don't put it off. Feel free to get a second opinion, but do it fast.

My father waited over a month past when they wanted to schedule him for surgery due to it being shortly before the Christmas holidays, and frankly, he was scared--he'd never been hospitalized in his life. Because he waited, it led to it forming more scar tissue, so more tissue had to be removed. This wasn't discovered until during the surgery and led to major complications.

Just take care of yourself and follow your doctor's advice. They'll suggest things long-term like avoiding tomato seeds, strawberries, and other food with small indigestible seeds.

Best wishes to you, hopefully everything will turn out for the best!
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote