3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat - Week of April 2 - 8 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/108768-maintainers-chat-week-april-2-8-a.html)

4rabbit 04-04-2007 03:54 PM

Carolyn,

About the difficulties of maintaining with the bipolar/schizoid issue...I found when I was in a depression/burnout situation that the excercise (endorphines) and meditation helped me a lot. Just keep on hanging in here!

Hi to all the maintainers.

Tara - Great about the PB victory!

Rabbit

paperclippy 04-04-2007 04:39 PM

Our offer on the house was accepted! We're still working out the money thing. His dad can't give the money to me for the mortgage since the mortgage is completely in my fiance's name (we're adding me to the title of the house afterward). I think we have it figured out though, and in any case we can afford the house without the extra money, it's just a nice bonus.

Carolyn -- I think different people have different recipes. The version I made yesterday is a little modified from the traditional one to be healthier. This is basically the recipe in my cookbook with my modifications noted:

Ingredients:
2 matzos
2 eggs (I used egg substitute)
some butter (I used olive oil)
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't use either)

Break the matzos into pieces (not tiny ones, big ones). Put them in a colander and run cold water over it, stirring frequently, until slightly soft (not total mush!). Meanwhile beat the eggs well, and add salt and pepper to taste. Heat/melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat until "very hot." Drain the matzo pieces and dump them in the pan, then immediately pour the eggs over them. Spread it and stir it like you're making scrambled eggs. When it's well combined and mostly cooked let it sit for a couple minutes so the bottom gets slightly browned/crispy, then stir it up again to mix the crispy parts with the mushy parts. That's it! My fiance and I put maple syrup on it.

Lily - let us know how the soy milk goes. I personally can't stand the stuff, I think it tastes gross, but my sister (who is lactose intolerant) drinks it all the time. Soy ice cream, on the other hand, tastes pretty darn good!

ArtsyGirl 04-04-2007 05:27 PM

Hello everyone. I'm getting myself back on track after veering astray yesterday. I dont know what got into me but I dont like how I let things snowball after one bad choice. I guess that shows how much work I still have to do. Today hwas been good although I'm figting urges to mindlessly eat still.

Jessica-Congratulations on your house offer being accepted. I hope your inspections/closing goes smooth. You must be so excited.

Lily-I'm so jealous of all your gardening. We cant plant much here til close to Memorial day though we usually try to get started near Mothers day. It actually sleeted here today and its cold and windy. A day digging and planting sounds wonderful.

Joyofsix-I love the local childrens museum. I find excuses to take my neice and nephew often. Its so much fun.

joyofsix 04-04-2007 06:58 PM

Lily-I'd recheck that you entered everything exactly right. I've never had it give a different number.

clvquilts-If we're all going somewhere I drive a 15 passenger van. I take our old clunker car if it's just me and a little one or two. My dd, bless her heart, potty trained herself at 2y2mo. I wish I could take credit but it was her idea.

Tara D 04-04-2007 09:52 PM

Success again tonight! Today was easier than yesterday in regards to not eating the whole wheat bread and peanut butter after dinner. I didn't even think about it much. I'm getting back to normal!

AnneWonders 04-04-2007 10:11 PM

It's been a rough day. My grandmother passed away this morning, several years after a stroke left her seriously incapacitated. I had a great deal of respect for her, and her final years were heartbreaking.

Take care of yourselves.

Anne

lilybelle 04-05-2007 12:51 AM

Hi everyone. Has anyone else tried the soy crisps? I tried the white cheddar kind and they were nasty to me.

I finished planting my corn and my squash today. 4 rows of each. Plus got 9 hedges planted and need to plant 5 more of these. Also have a bunch of marigolds still to plant. Now, it is supposed to freeze tomorrow night. I'm going to cover my tomato and bell pepper plants and hope they don't ruin. I thought the last frost was over with or I'd have waited to do some of my planting. Darn it. I'm just not too great of a farmer, I guess. LOL.

carolyn, I don't usually put my activity in Fitday. I just log mine down under the exercise thread. I have before listed sedentary for my activity and it showed I could eat 1650 cal's a day.

Jessica, I haven't tried to drink the soy milk with added fiber, I did add some to my wheat pancakes and they tasted just fine.

Lisa, I'll recheck that Fitday again tomorrow morning. I have actually had quite a few things come out with different numbers than the package says. All of it was on Sugar Free items.

Tara, WTG with the PB. I accidentally bought the crunchy kind, which I don't like, so I've been leaving it alone.

Anne, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

joyofsix 04-05-2007 08:08 AM

Anne, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. One of my grandmother's had a stroke and died several year later, I know how heartbreaking it is.

Meg 04-05-2007 08:33 AM

Good morning!

Anne, I’m so sorry about your grandmother. It sounds like she was very special to you. :hug:

Congratulations on the house, Jessica!! :broc:

Yay, Tara! You’re stronger than that PB :devil: !

Libby, I’m so happy to see you joining in here. You know I’m with you on the muscles. ;)

Lily, how’s your ankle? You’ve been so industrious lately that I’m embarrassed – I think you’re good motivation for me!

Anne (lessismore) – that’s a great web site – thanks for the link. A weekend without kids – ooooh, very well-deserved and something to look forward to! Are you going any place special -- or is anywhere without children a treat? :lol:

Hi Karynlee! Are you training for the three day breast cancer walk? With my knees, I couldn’t walk for 60 miles (or even 1!) so I’m in awe! Don’t be nervous, you‘ve got plenty of time to build your endurance. Wow, you’re going to be in the best shape of your life come November! It’s so great to train for a goal rather than just plodding along in the gym every day the way I do. :lol:

Allison, yay on being back to your ticker weight! You sound so positive and upbeat .. I’m sure 139 will be yours in no time. Isn’t it funny how seeing the scale move – even just a little? – is soooo motivating? :D

Carolyn, Fitday is notorious inaccurate (very high) when it comes to computing calories burned. Most people ignore it. IMO, the best way to compute your maintenance calories is through trial and error. Pick a reasonable number and track carefully for a week or two. If you stay the same, bingo! That’s your number. If you gain, drop back 100 or so. If you’re still losing, add back 100-200.

Good job on getting back on track, Brandy. :cp: I still struggle with letting one bad choice turn into a lot of bad choices and letting it go on for more than one day. One of the things I’ll do when I’m talking myself out of a bad food choice is to remind myself how hard it is to get back on track. Much easier not to stray in the first place!

I’m so annoyed that winter came back! Snow for Easter – sheesh! :rolleyes:

srmb60 04-05-2007 08:44 AM

:hug: for Anne.

I hate strokes the most. Cruel cruel cruel.

alinnell 04-05-2007 09:46 AM

Anne~so sorry for your loss.

Lily~hoping that frost doesn't undo all that work you did!

Tara~WTG on staying away from your after dinner PB on bread snack. (I didn't do quite as well, I had an early dinner and by 8:00 was snacking on Triscuits).

Jessica~congrats on the house!!!! Wow, that's a really short escrow.

Brandy~it's always a struggle for me not to eat mindlessly (especially when I'm cooking).

As for me.....well, since I had a light early dinner I managed to weigh in at 139 this morning! I'm not sure it will stick, though, so no ticker change until it stays for a day or two. Tonight dinner will be light again due to a dinner time meeting (snacks included, and I plan on eating only those that are healthy). Since I won't get home until quite late, I doubt I'll get a full meal. I'll have a healthy snack before I leave for the meeting.

Everyone have a wonderful day!

lilybelle 04-05-2007 11:46 AM

Hi everyone, I had gotten spoiled to the 80 degree weather. Now it's 40 degrees and I'm back in long-sleeves and jeans and freezing. I had to turn off the A/C and turn the heater back on.

Meg, thanks for saying I'm inspiring you. I haven't been on my exercise equipment much lately, but I have done many hrs. of outdoor exercise each day and it seems to be helping my wt. a little. Down now 3 lbs. in last couple weeks. (But, it's not a new 3 lbs., it's the same that I keep losing and gaining).

My DD had begged me to go back on Atkins with her. I decided that I just can't do it. I can't give up almost all my carbs, I love them too much. I am trying to eat more protein and less carbs (say 50-75 grams a day) instead of over 100-150. I love my wheat pancakes with SF syrup and 1TBSP PB for breakfast. What I'm mainly trying to watch is how much bread I am eating. So, I'm leaning more towards salads with meat on them for lunch and LF dressing. Dinner is mainly broiled/grilled meat, salad and green veggies. I'm not gonna give up my fruit (usually 3 servings per day). I had been eating pretty heavily on the rice and wheat pasta but I'm trying to get more veggies now instead of this. I am absolutely hooked on having an apple with a TBSP of PB each day. (I guess it could be a lot worse). All total, I'm eating about 1600-1700 calories a day.

My 14 yr. old SD is here and her constant snacking is hard on me. It's taking all my willpower to not just munch all day too. She and I played cards last night. During the card game, she ate chips and salsa (DH's), 4 pop-tarts (DH's), leftover Valentines candy (DD's) and drank 2 liters of (DH's) pepsi. Then we finished the card game and she got up and made her 2 waffles with butter and regular syrup (DH's) instead of my SF syrup. All this was after I had grilled us a steak, had a big green salad and green beans with onions sauteed in olive oil. It totally amazes me how much she can eat. My own DD that is trying to lose some wt. before prom, thankfully hid in the computer room and didn't snack on any of that junk once dinner was completed.

Allison, WTG on seeing that 139. I'm sure you were totally excited .

Meg 04-05-2007 11:59 AM

Lily, I eat an apple with a T of PB every day too! It's my favorite treat. :T

Your way of eating is so healthy and balanced now ... I'm glad you're not going to change it. Do you think DD would try eating the way that you do? I'm sure she'd lose fat and in my opinion, it's a better way for a teenage girl to eat.

Good job on avoiding the treats - that took iron willpower!!

lilybelle 04-05-2007 12:30 PM

Meg, I've tried everything to help my DD to eat correctly so she could lose some of the belly weight. The only unhealthy food here is DH's and he usually takes it to work with him. I get up early to fix her healthy BF. I pack her meals to take to school. (Then I find out she's eating what I pack and what the school has both). I cook healthy dinner for the whole family. I keep fruit and 94% LF popcorn for snacks. I don't at all like the way she even tries to do Atkins. She wants to eat meat, eggs and cheese only. I do nag her to eat some veggies, fruit and salad. She loves Milk and I always buy Skim and now Soy Milk. It is so hard with her. I want her to eat Healthy, and all she wants is a Quick Fix short-term plan. (Even when I did do Atkins, I ate lots of fruit and didn't count it against myself and it didn't hurt a bit with my wt. loss).

I don't know how to explain it except to say my DD wants to be thinner but she doesn't want to talk about wt . loss, think about wt. loss or do anything to help with wt. loss. I go for long periods of time just keeping my mouth shut about it and trying to let her decide when she's ready and willing to make an effort. I'd gladly lose the wt. for her if I could. It's like she views me as competition and gets very hurt when my clothes are too small for her. I have contended all along that she needs to get some type of physical exercise on a regular basis and she probably wouldn't have a wt. struggle at all. She's 5' 5 1/2 inches and weighs currently only 145. Her only problem is the extra belly wt. I keep hoping that someday she'll want to get back to walking or riding bikes with me. When she did that she slimmed down a lot and was so Proud of herself. (BTW the 145 lbs. is UP from about 110 lbs. at start of school last yr. but she got 1 1/2 inches taller in that time).

paperclippy 04-05-2007 12:56 PM

Anne, I am so sorry about your grandmother. :hug:

Tara, great job on the PB!

Lily, I was just like your DD when I was in high school. I thought I was fat (my BMI wasn't over the healthy range until my senior year), I wanted to lose weight, maybe some part of me knew what I should do to lose it, but instead I just ate more junk because I felt bad about being fat, and gained 10lbs each year. I like to think it would have helped if my parents had set a better example, but I really think that overeating is like many addictions -- you can't quit until you are really, really ready to. For me, I couldn't START losing weight until I gained self esteem. Maybe you could find some activities for your DD that would build self-esteem without mentioning weight or eating habits? Like taking up a new hobby, setting some non-weight-related goals, even sports teams. My own self esteem and body image improved when I started doing little things to take care of myself -- using a nice scented soap, treating myself to higher-quality haircuts than Supercuts, using a daily moisturizer, painting my nails . . . stuff that lots of girls do but I had never done. It is a big ego boost to get a really great haircut and then look in the mirror and suddenly think "Wow! I look pretty!" I think it is about pampering yourself because you love your body, not avoiding it because you hate your body.

Since you mentioned before she had done walking and bike riding with you, maybe you could get her to sign up for a charity walk? Then it's for a good cause, is a reason to get some exercise, and you have a great feeling of accomplishment at the end.

Things are really moving quickly with the house -- it's hard to believe that we just decided on it last weekend and we will officially own it in just over a month. We're doing the inspection this Saturday and the mortgage paperwork is in progress. Next on the list is homeowners insurance, plus letting our apartment complex know we will be moving out when our lease is up.

I'm having more trouble with my wrists... I'm trying to schedule another appointment and it looks like I'm going to be stuck with splints on both my arms for the next month or so. I should still be able to work okay (since I just type all day), but I'll need to take one of them off to eat since I can't reach my mouth with them on.