Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

This spring is going to be tough for me. Having lost 106 lbs. from last spring the only thing that still fits me are my socks. And I gotta tell you even they're a little loose. And I'm still at the stage where I am hoping, well all right I know that whatever I purchase now will not fit me next spring. Heck I'm hoping it won't even fit me by mid summer. We shall see.

I felt nice and safe in winter clothing. Although I love the spring, I really do love the coverage that you get from a nice ribbed turtle neck. Or any sweater for that matter. I just don't know how I will fare in spring/summer clothing. All light colored and light materials. We hit 71 degrees here today and all I had to put on was a V necked thin sweater. I am going to go shopping on Friday. I'm gonna try to keep it to a minimum. I do look forward to buying some age appropriate yet stylish clothing.

I think I will start at Macy's. I usually have good luck there. It's funny whenever I go shopping now and take clothing into the dressing room in say my current size (at least for today), which is a 10 or 12, I'm always shocked that it fits. I always think the one the I bought previously in that small a size (for me anyway) must have been a fluke. But it's not. They all fit!!! Doesn't necessarily mean I love how each and every one looks on me, but they all do fit. So, I guess it's for real.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I did notice that all the shirts look like maternity shirts too. I certainly don't want to look pregnant since I'm not and that is one good reason for losing my weight. LOL. (I used to have a lot of people ask me when's the baby due when I wasn't pregnant).

Robin, I still think my clothes size is a fluke too. Then I notice I wear the same size at most any store. It sounds like you need to do some shopping to just get by thru the spring and summer. Try for mix and match things and get as few items as you can get by on. I got a lot of my stuff at resale shops while I was still losing, to help save on the cost and I knew I wouldn't be in it for long. You are losing wt. so quickly that your new stuff won't fit for long, that is for sure. Once I got down to a size 12 I thought I was about the hottest darn thing on the planet. LOL. So, I just know how happy and proud you must feel. I am so proud of you and think you have done absolutely wonderful at the wt. loss . Plus you have an awesome attitude.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

Lilybelle, it's funny how you said you thought you were so hot at a size 12. I gotta tell you I am feeling quite - GOOD. I know I should be shopping at resale shops in order to save much needed money, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm no snob, believe me. It's just that after years and years of settling for clothing, between lack of choice and lack of what would get around my body, I just want to go to the stores and pick out what I want. New and in style and with plenty of choices. Luckily I work out of my home, so I can get away with a lot less then if I worked elsewhere. I just have to do the laundry often and in the evenings, when I'm in PJ's.

I too noticed those maternity looking shirts. I don't care for them much. Not so flattering a look, I like my clothes (now) FITTED. My waist is my smallest part of me and quite frankly, the more fitted the better.

I will just have to suffer through with a small wardrobe until I hit goal. But come next spring - lookout, cause here I come. There will be no stopping me.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

My wardrobe is currently nonexistent. I have a few things but they never fit for more than a few weeks. Then I keep wearing those jeans with a belt (and I had to have more belt holes added) and you can tell the jeans are baggy but I just dont feel like buying a bunch of clothes when I'm losing at least 1 pound a week and I'm just 3 months or so from my goal. So, stores watch out in June and July! I'll be getting new lingerie and a bunch of new summer clothes. My summer clothes from 2 summers back might fit then (pre baby) but they've been in the basement of our building for so long now I'm kinda grossed out about even looking in the bags.

Its funny because I've been dressing so frumpy for so long now (during the pregnancy and since June 2006 when I delivered) that people were stunned yesterday when I actually had a nice outfit on (the pants from Banana Republic are already becoming too loose and I just bought them last week). I got mad compliments and I guess I'll keep getting them into this summer when I really shock people. Yes Claudia is back! Ah, life is tough!

As for dressing for one's age, I must admit to shopping in the juniors department at times. In the summer I mostly wear tight fitting T-shirts with say a rhinestone logo on it or something cute like that with some tight jeans. Not into looking slutty or anything, but I do like to show "things" off a bit when I'm looking good. LOL

The "new" style (which comes from the 80's) that I like is the skinny jeans that go tight all the way to the bottom. Cannot wait to get my butt into a pair of those come June!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #20  
lilybelle

Robin, at a size 12, I thought my curves were more in the right places. If that makes any sense. (I still had a butt then). I don't blame you at all for wanting to go ahead and buy nice clothes now. I bought some new stuff as I was losing, because it made me feel good. I bought some resale stuff that I liked because it was cheap and I knew I wouldn't be wearing it for long. Besides, DH never minded me buying a lot of bargain stuff. Really, he's been great about my clothes shopping. He says "if you want it or need it then go buy it".

Claudia, I saw those skinny jeans while shopping. I didn't try them on because I knew I'd want them and I have plenty of jeans already. I've also put more holes in some of my belts to help keep my jeans up. I do wear snugger jeans now since losing the weight. Before, mine were always just too uncomfortably tight in the waist. (I admit I used to unbutton my jeans after meals or when riding in the car).
Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Lillybelle, I think you have the perfect shape for those skinny jeans..tall with thin legs. You should get them! They look so stylish and new. I am totally tired of that same old boot cut look, and the peg leg type jeans are not very nice looking IMHO. So I can't wait to try this look..but it probably helps to be a bit slimmer.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm going shopping and I'm really excited! Yup, it's been a long winter ....
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Be sure and tell us what you get, Susan!!! Have fun shopping!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I went shopping a couple weeks ago at Ann Taylor Loft and saw nothing but nautical-inspired clothes! I swear, the entire store was red, navy blue, and striped. I found an adorable red skirt but resisted buying it -- I'm waiting until it's on sale!

Ann Taylor Loft is currently my favorite store. They have a lot of cute sophisticated but still "young" styles, plus the petites section is a bonus since I'm kind of short. And it's a great place for basics like solid-color tees and slacks.

I'm planning on checking out Kohl's this weekend if I have a chance -- their commercial on TV shows lots of cute stuff!

Also, you all are so right-on with the pregnant-looking shirts. I actually own one (got it as a gift maybe five years ago) and even though I have worn it on occasion, I always felt like I looked pregnant in it (especially when I was fat! ). The only people who can really pull of that flowy empire waist look are pregnant women and stick figures.

And what is with these shirts that come down past your hips? Maybe they look good on tall people or something, because when I've tried them on I always feel like I'm suddenly six inches shorter.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #25  
lilybelle

Claudia, thanks, I did think those jeans would probably look good on my body type. I may try them next time I'm shopping.

Jessica, I have found quite a few clothes that I like at Kohl's in past seasons but havent' been there lately. We don't have an Ann Taylor's nearby. I didn't see anything this time at Old Navy that I wanted.

Our local resale shop had a rack of brand new Gap shirts with tags still on them. I bought 2 of them size large for me. They ended up being WAY too big for me and I gave them to my Aunt. I should have tried them on first.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #26  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

One thing I was NOT looking forward to for getting back to my 'normal' weight was how difficult it is to find clothes that fit my small body. Sometimes I buy girls size 14, but the arms are usually too short.

I'm in mourning over all of the small clothes I got rid of during my fat years. There's a navy blue 'tulip' skirt I gave away a year and a half ago that I would pay double to have back.

Paperclippy ~ I tried that red skirt on and it was too big in a size 2 petite because I wanted it to be at my waist and not sitting on my hips. I loved the cut out detailing. Perhaps when DH gets a job AND Ann Taylor puts it on sale, I'll go back and see if there are any size 0's left. I don't think I want to mess with altering it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #27  
3 + years maintaining

Well my shopping plans got derailed today. I was all psyched. I was going to even walk into Ann Taylor Loft today after reading about it here. I went to the mall and it was surrounded by police everywhere. On every single side. On foot, in vans, cars, motorcycles, scooters. Just everywhere. I have no idea what was going on. I sure hope everybody is all right. But I am GREATLY disappointed.

Carolyn, your pictures are amazing.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #28  
Carolyn

Thanks RockinRobin DH took the after photo a week ago. I was very happily suprised to see how much weight I've lost in my upper arms.

I still need to figure out how to load photos up to the Goal Photo Album because I have another great before and after set to show off.

Today, I'm weariing the pair of dark navy pants I bought off the sale rack at Ann Taylor's a week ago. They're so comfortable.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #29  
Carolyn

RockinRobin ~ maybe I can send you some of my old pants while you lose wait? You won't have to shorten them!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning! morning! Let me see ... I got a pinstriped suit with two camisoles to match, a pink tank, jeans long enough for my high clogs and two fabulous bra's! I now know that I can walk into a La Senza and just grab one that's wonderful!
Oh the bargains! And everything is size 4!
Closed Thread