Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Lily, you're killing me! We spent part of the weekend talking about our veggie garden for the year - and we can't till or plant until the end of May! It is so nice to have fresh veggies though.

Our temps are down to zero tonight (at 10 pm) and it's supposed to get colder and windier, giving us wind chills in the -20 vicinity. Guess I'm glad I'm going "south" - all the way to Juneau where at least it's forecast to be above freezing by the weekend.

Goodnight.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sorry Pat, that you can't start your garden for a while. This will be my very first garden since I was a child. I'm having my MIL over to help supervise, LOL, she always has a great garden. I sure hope mine does better than all my dang flowers that I so diligently plant every spring and watch them die all summer. LOL. This year I'm going to plan more time doing food gardening and planting hedges (maybe they will survive better) and limit my flower planting to on each side of the decorative well house that is in front of my house.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #18  

I was feeling pretty cocky about the 35 degree temps yesterday. It seemed soooo warrrrmm. LOL. I guess not. I'm still hanging in. Unfortunately the only foods that seem to stay down are not all that nutritious. I hope to get back to 'normal' in a week or two.

Lily-very inspirational story

Milehimama-What an exciting venture. I wish you the very best.

Paperclippy-IN will grow on you. And in July you'll wish for a little cold and snow as you know. And people here are generally nice. OK, end of sales pitch.

Lisa
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Things are looking up today! Not only is it 45 degrees outside instead of ZERO, and not only is the snow melting, but the scale was down to 131 this morning! WOOHOO! I haven't seen anything under 133 in quite a while! Let's hope it sticks.

I had a great workout last night on the total body crossramp. Phew, that thing is tough! I'm hoping the weather holds and I can maybe go hiking this weekend in addition to the weekday gym trips. My fiance thinks hiking will be nasty because of the melting snow turning everything into mud though, and he does have a point...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #20  
slow and steady

I just realized that I have been a member of 3FC for two whole years! It's nothing compared to some of you, but man, that's a long time!

Also I thought I'd let you all know in case you weren't aware that Cooking Light's website (cookinglight.com) has free recipes that are searchable by all sorts of useful criteria. I clip every recipe from the issues I get in the mail but you can search the website back through many years of recipes. Yummmm.

This message brought to you by it being 4:56 and me being ready to go home from work!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ditto paperclippy's kudos for Cooking Light. I've printed out pages and pages and keep them in a 3 ring binder. It's better than buying a book (IMO) because you don't get anything you don't like!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #22  
lilybelle

paperclippy, WTG on getting that scale to go down. I still want mine down by another lb. Hiking does sound fun. It is a beautiful 76 degrees here today. We're cooking dinner on the grill. I'm going to exercise while I watch American Idol tonite.

I just went to our local consignment shop and they had a big winter clearance rack. I bought some shirts for next winter and some sleep pants from Aeropostale, only paid $1.00 per item. Some of the things I got looked like they have never been worn. I love to shop now that I can find clothes my size.. My DD got some new Levi's. I had to force myself to stay away from the jeans racks, as I have plenty of jeans already.

We get to pick up our camper this Friday, so if the weather stays nice, I'll be parked at the lake soon. I can't wait. Next month when school is out a week for Spring Break, we plan to be camping.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #23  
Mel

Congratulations on getting the camper and those clothing deals, Lily!

It's NOT 76 degrees here and my scale isn't going down.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #24  
Working My Way Back Down

Not here either! Lows of -10 tonight with wind chills of -25 to -30 Brrrrrr. I can't believe it's 76 in OK. You had ice last week!

And to really rant - our internet was down a good part of the day! Areawide. Grrrrrr. Our card catalog is online; we do all our ordering online; people come to the library to use the internet. Dependent much?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Hi everyone...I've been out of the loop for a couple days. I have a lot of 3FC stuff to catch up on! Now that I've started working again, it seems like there's not enough time for online reading! Today was my first real day at work, and things seemed to go okay. I hope tomorrow goes ok, too! It's so weird being back in the working world...now I just can't wait until I'm no longer broke...could be a few weeks still...

I already have plans to go shopping! There are so many things that I would like to do that I haven't done for the last several months. Here is a list:

1. Buy new clothes -- especially for work! I haven't bought new clothes in a year and a half, and I think I'm about 10-15 pounds less than the last time I bought new clothes. Lots of stuff doesn't fit right.
2. See a movie/rent videos.
3. Wash my car.
4. Pay off my credit card/pay back some money I owe.
5. Buy some dry pads for my Swiffer -- sweeping is such a pain.
6. Try something new at the grocery store.
7. Buy a magazine.
8. Buy a calendar for my desk at work.
9. Buy a new pair of shoes
10. Get a ticket to some sort of show/performance.
11. Stuff I can't remember right now.

Things are going pretty well with the scale -- despite the fact that I'm deliberately taking almost two weeks off exercising. I want to take some time to get adjusted to my job without having to think about rushing to the gym. I think moving around at work instead of spending most of the day within 800 square feet in my apartment has kept things ok with the scale. Also, they say that using the brain also burns calories!

Today I also had my first situation in a while where I had to deal with food pushers at work. I decided to take the item home (BTW, it was about a 1000 calorie a slice type dessert) rather than refuse, since I'm new there and all. (They already had cut a slice and brought it all the way to me.) I'm not going to eat it because I really don't want to. I'm not big on sweets. I think I might actually find them somewhat unappetizing. I don't know if this is a side effect of not eating any for a very long time. I'd rather just eat my yummy lunch.

I know this topic has come up quite a bit here, but I'd almost forgotten what's it's like to have to deal with it for real. I really have no desire to eat those sweets, but I still feel a little bad when I refuse something because someone worked hard on it. I'll have to figure out a way to be nice because it seems like they do food a lot at this office. Wish me luck!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #26  
lilybelle

Our temp's have been completely crazy here. School was out last Thurs. and Friday due to the heavy snow fall. Now it's 76 degrees with forecasts for 70's all week, then freezing rain next weekend. I'm just going to enjoy it while I can. Plan to get the ground busted up for our veggie garden. We are going to go fishing in our pond on Thursday evening.

DH has been working outside trying to rebuild the transmission on my son's jeep. Hope that gets finished soon, as it leaves me without a vehicle while my son uses mine to go to work. As soon as they are finished, my son is trading off the jeep and buying him a new, more reliable vehicle.

Tara, I only wish I could say that I dont' "like sweets". I have to use my willpower to refuse them. My birthday is the end of next month and I'm already looking forward to a piece of cake. That is sad. I hope you like your new job. Looks like you have a nice list of things to buy now that you will have more money.

I had mentioned on another thread that I found a pair of boots that I really want. They are marked down to $49.00 and were $129.00. I am seriously considering going ahead and buying them.

I am very happy with my exercising lately. Hit that treadmill again tonite. Yippee. I tried to get my DD, DH or SD to go walking outside with me. Nope, one said "I"m too tired", one said "it's too hot" and one said "i've got the cramps". Go figure. LOL.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #27  
slow and steady

Tara, I wish I didn't like sweets too! I have a major sweet tooth. I survived college almost entirely on cake and ice cream (no wonder I gained so much weight). It's incredibly difficult for me to pass up sweets still (but I'm much better about passing up pizza and burgers). I have a real dessert once a week usually during my "cheat" meal and it's enough to keep me satisfied. During the week I occasionally will have a pseudo-dessert, like a low-cal pudding cup or hot cocoa (they don't count as real dessert since they are not as decadent!).

I am so confused about my weight right now. This morning the scale was down another pound to 130. I feel like celebrating, except that I was at 133 without budging for almost two months and then it dropped 3 pounds in two days. I don't get it! Plus TOM is coming so usually I gain a pound around now and would be dropping it next week. I'm not complaining, I'm just afraid that it will suddenly jump back up to 133.

Our new gym is working out really well (no pun intended). My fiance even said to me last night on our way home that he was really glad we were going and he can tell that he's feeling much better (he gets depressed when he does not get enough exercise). It's funny because he was against joining, since we have a free "gym" at our apartment complex. But both of us are going more regularly and getting much better workouts now, because we go straight from work instead of going home first and the equipment and environment are much better. Now I just have to wait five more weeks to get this splint off my arm so I can take some of the group classes!

Lily, I'm envying your 76 degrees! Yesterday it was a balmy 45, but this morning it was down to 20 with thick fog. The schools are closed because the fog is so bad! Driving to work was really scary since you couldn't see anything until you were on top of it.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #28  

Tara~what kind of performance are you planning to go see?

The weather here is balmy as well, but, then, when isn't it? LOL I think we're between 75-80.

Although I can usually pass up sweets (I give in on occasion) I mostly have trouble with things like pizza, burgers, pasta. Give me a carb!!!! I can have candy around and not touch it at all, although I wasn't always this way.

I had quite a busy morning this morning and am late for lunch. I didn't get my morning snack, either. wonder if that is why I have a bit of a headache? Well, off to eat!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #29  
lilybelle

paperclippy, I envy that your scale is going down. Wish mine would go down even 1 more pound. I'm eating within my calorie limit and getting enough exercise. I know that dropping my calorie limit a little would let me lose another lb. or so. But, NO, I like how I'm eating, so I'm sticking to it and hope to eventually drop a lb. with increased exercise.

I ran into an old friend today that I hadn't seen in a long time. She told me she is having a gastric bypass on March 23rd. She is 101 lbs. over-weight and has high blood pressure. Her insurance is paying 100% for the surgery. I told her that at one point, I had wished I could have had that surgery. But, due to health reasons I was never considered a candidate. I would have been so scared too. I am really glad that I was able to take my weight off without the surgery. She said "you are so skinny, why would you have wanted the sugery?" I explained that she hadn't seen me for many years, and she didn't realize that I had a huge battle with obesity that I have worked to gain control over. Anyway, I hope all goes well for her.

Our weather continues to be beautiful. I think I'll head outside and sweep our 2 level deck and gazebo of all the leaves that have accumulated. That should burn a few calories. LOL.

I forgot to mention the best part about the camper is that it is one that you drive (RV). Now even if DH has to work, me and DD could easily take it to the lake without him (the one we had before had to be pulled and I wasn't able to hook it up and haul it by myself).

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-21-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #30  

Lily~I envy you being able (or should I say willing) to drive your RV! DH constantly tells me that I need to learn how to drive ours, but NO WAY. That thing is huge! We have a 36' motorhome and we usually tow our jeep behind it. I freak just thinking about having to drive it. DD, however, is willing to learn.